• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Ultimate Marvel vs. Capcom 3 |OT| of 9 Years Urley

Status
Not open for further replies.
I just realized 2 things I should had known.

You can break throws now when you are in recovery frames or in a move? WTH.

Also, if you only have 2 people left, both assist buttons can call the assist now. Neat. How it should be.

Shit man this is hard to say so I'm just gonna put it out there...I may have to stop playing.

I've barely had time to force any gaming in on UMVC3 or anything else since launch day nearly two weeks ago. How much have I gamed since then? Likely less than 8 hours in two weeks.

I've got digital paintings to finish for my portfolio, I got keyframing coming up for an animation of an original fighting game character I've designed doing a combo exhibition, I've got weeks worth of cleanup to do on that and tweening once its done, and coloring and digital light & shadow to do afterwards alongside of any ADR work needed for the animation itself. After that I got months of storyboarding, modeling, rigging, texturing, lighting, and shooting for a final reel that I'll need to have finished before October next year that'll be using maya,zbrush,photoshop, soundbooth and a couple of facial animation programs alongside of after effects.

...and it all needs done in between fulltime college reading/assignments and my fulltime job.

This is kind of why my posts have slowed down towards these last weeks too. Hell, I don't even have time to keep up with the thread or watch anystreams for more than a minute or two at a time. I don't even know who is using what teams anymore on the tourney circuit. At least all the time spent studying the meta game has taught me what I need to know and practice when there is time, but frankly I have less time than I need to finish these projects as is and theres no time to grind out the skill I'm needing for something like this just yet. I can't even keep up with this thread anymore. I'll likely have to just pick it up again in a year when I'm free.

I'll try to pop in from time to time to check up and see how stuff is playing out, but from here on I'm likely going to become pretty distant as I'll be way to busy trying to be a one man studio. Wish me luck fighting-GAF. If I do as well as I'm trying to there is a good chance I'll end up at a studio in a year in the industry thats worth something. It'd be the shit if it was Capcom...here's hoping.

See you around guys. GGS.

Your college loans aren't covering your living expenses? That sucks. I never really had to worry about work - not since high school. College loans payed for college and everything else, didn't need to work. Now I'm in medical school, obviously not working.

I wouldn't let a current job you have no interest in the long run prevent you from achieving something that you plan on -being- your career. Anyway, good luck.

The Hawkeye/Spidey trick in this one is preeeeeeeeeetty cheap. Definitely taking it, haha. Stolen from Spidey SRK boards

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IonQgoxMCqI

Very nice.

ibq12S8DmmddcC.gif

lol

ggs to those on Live yesterday, I was playing as Translayer.

Dartastic

Yo, so what's up with this Ultimate KFC vs Popeye's shit?
I don't know why that shit got locked. I still don't. I'm just giving it some time to stew. Getting into training mode and some shit. Yeah. THAT SHIT IS STILL ON.

P.S. Mahvel GAF should give me the DL on Spin. :p

enzo_gt

tagged by Blackace
Game looks fun but too simplistic.
Too simplistic compared to what, exactly? Brain surgery? Marvel is pretty damn complex, you have a lot to consider and keep track of at once.

Yeah I'm not sure why the KFC vs. Popeyes thread got locked either, probably because people didn't read OP at all.

erpg

GAF parliamentarian
I really don't like how barebones this thing is. I've never been great at fighters but I liked that in SSFIV I had a few different modes to fool around with characters in (endless, watch CPU matches, car, barrel, replays, etc).

Here, I've got:
An Arcade mode that culminates in a fucking annoying boss.
Player Versus, which I can mess with when the girlfriend comes over (I'm in a wheelchair for a while).
Training/Missions (which I've already complained about earlier, but the UI is terrible and really doesn't help out, especially when you're on a fightpad and you get to the 'scrolling' movelists. Why can't the font be shrunk down a little to fit more commands, and buttons be beside the name in brackets?).

I understand that the game is primarily for competition, but I'm comparing the 90$ MvC3 + UMvC3 to... say 60$ Starcraft 2, and there's really nothing here. Comes off lazy.

enzo_gt

tagged by Blackace
I really don't like how barebones this thing is. I've never been great at fighters but I liked that in SSFIV I had a few different modes to fool around with characters in (endless, watch CPU matches, car, barrel, replays, etc).

Here, I've got:
An Arcade mode that culminates in a fucking annoying boss.
Player Versus, which I can mess with when the girlfriend comes over (I'm in a wheelchair for a while).
Training/Missions (which I've already complained about earlier, but the UI is terrible and really doesn't help out, especially when you're on a fightpad and you get to the 'scrolling' movelists. Why can't the font be shrunk down a little to fit more commands, and buttons be beside the name in brackets?).

I understand that the game is primarily for competition, but I'm comparing the 90$ MvC3 + UMvC3 to... say 60$ Starcraft 2, and there's really nothing here. Comes off lazy.
It's not lazy at all when all your budget goes to SFxTKxOno, and Marvel forces you to release the game in November to avoid overlap with their other games. Niitsuma did extremely well with what he had. <8 months of dev time and very little resources. That doesn't excuse the game if you still don't find value in the $40, but calling it lazy is a bit harsh and misguided IMO.

Also Galactus is a REALLY easy boss, he's so predictable and telegraphs all his moves far ahead of time, and as long as you stay in his grille you will have zero issue fighting him. Just remember to advance guard the shit out of his beams.

It's not lazy at all when all your budget goes to SFxTKxOno, and Marvel forces you to release the game in November to avoid overlap with their other games. Niitsuma did extremely well with what he had. <8 months of dev time and very little resources. That doesn't excuse the game if you still don't find value in the $40, but calling it lazy is a bit harsh and misguided IMO.

Also Galactus is a REALLY easy boss, he's so predictable and telegraphs all his moves far ahead of time, and as long as you stay in his grille you will have zero issue fighting him. Just remember to advance guard the shit out of his beams.

lol you leave galactus alive long enough for him to shoot a beam?

A Pretty Panda

fuckin' called it, man
Godlike Dive Kick though. Sonic = New Wolverine? DISCUSS.

I think he was able to do rapid divekicks if the spring was below him. Of course it couldn't hit anything but it looked funny.

Also despite the fact that Iron Man is the most butt anchor ever I've won a game or 2 with him. Sometimes with XFC into Iron Avenger. But after I win with him I just think to my self "X factor is dumb"

enzo_gt

tagged by Blackace
I think he was able to do rapid divekicks if the spring was below him. Of course it couldn't hit anything but it looked funny.

Also despite the fact that Iron Man is the most butt anchor ever I've won a game or 2 with him. Sometimes with XFC into Iron Avenger. But after I win with him I just think to my self "X factor is dumb"
Iron Man is my anchor and that's the best I can do for my team without drastically reducing the effectiveness of the other two characters (IF and Ryu) :(

erpg

GAF parliamentarian

I definitely consider a barebones release, barebones re-release 9 months later, one color alt costume DLC as lazy or at the very least lame, anti-consumer and opportunistic. As a customer, natural disasters or sick staff don't change what I expect from a new purchase. Comparing even to the company's own releases and not big budget feature-filled western products like SC2.

enzo_gt

tagged by Blackace
I definitely consider a barebones release, barebones re-release 9 months later, one color alt costume DLC as lazy or at the very least lame, anti-consumer and opportunistic. As a customer, natural disasters or sick staff don't change what I expect from a new purchase. Comparing even to the company's own releases and not big budget feature-filled western products like SC2.
Like I said, this doesn't mean you can't excuse it for not giving the same bang for your buck as another game does, but saying it's lazy is simply inaccurate. Anti-consumer? For sure, everyone in this thread has gone over a million times what this game could've been if corporate Marvel and to a lesser extent Capcom did not muddy up the process, but lazy is not a descriptor of what occurred during the development.

If you want something feature-filled, with lots of money put into it, Capcom doesn't want you here, they want you to buy SFxTK. The comparison to SC2 is pretty farfetched too outside of face value for games with such different development processes, hurdles and budgets. Niitsuma's team did well within the confines of what they had, not every game has a backing like SC2 does. Few games do.

IntelliHeath

As in "Heathcliff"
Like I said, this doesn't mean you can't excuse it for not giving the same bang for your buck as another game does, but saying it's lazy is simply inaccurate. Anti-consumer? For sure, everyone in this thread has gone over a million times what this game could've been if corporate Marvel and to a lesser extent Capcom did not muddy up the process, but lazy is not a descriptor of what occurred during the development.

If you want something feature-filled, with lots of money put into it, Capcom doesn't want you here, they want you to buy SFxTK. The comparison to SC2 is pretty farfetched too outside of face value for games with such different development processes, hurdles and budgets. Niitsuma's team did well within the confines of what they had, not every game has a backing like SC2 does. Few games do.

I am going to say something dumb but maybe smart advice if you are right.

Protest and don't buy SF xTK until they shell out us the best mvc3 game they ever make with better budget and schedules.

Doubt that it work.

I don't know why that shit got locked. I still don't. I'm just giving it some time to stew. Getting into training mode and some shit. Yeah. THAT SHIT IS STILL ON.

P.S. Mahvel GAF should give me the DL on Spin. :p
Was it really locked? Damn.

Anyway, I'll be ready. Hopefully it doesn't conflict with finals during December.

i gotta search through this thread a lot more before i post....dante/viper/strider already got discussed a shitton. too bad its so good on paper but the execution is so damn hard that it'll probably never get picked up by anybody who is actually good at this game (shoutouts to me barely being able to bold cancel on a ps3 bad :(.

Yeah! It got locked! I don't know why it did either, that shit was SERIOUS. :/

...seriously though, how scrubby are you? I'm pretty scrubby.
I was surprised that thread got so much responses. It was fun. :lol

I think I'm a scrub. but I've been told that I'm not so I guess I'm intermediate.

Dartastic

I was surprised that thread got so much responses. It was fun. :lol

I think I'm a scrub. but I've been told that I'm not so I guess I'm intermediate.
Word. I better practice.

Can we get a mod to unlock that thread and move it to community or something? It's a real challenge and it'd be really nice to have that open outside of this thread. =(

GGs all in Kadey's lobby, I gotta go run some errands. I'll be back later if its up, shoutouts to people doing the Live commentary, had me rollin.

Glix

Is there usually a GAF lobby? How do I find it? Should I friend one of you guys?

Full invincibility for Thor's super grab makes my fucking day. No more mash jabs ruining my day!

EDIT - XBOX

Word. I better practice.

Can we get a mod to unlock that thread and move it to community or something? It's a real challenge and it'd be really nice to have that open outside of this thread. =(
Yeah. I wouldn't see why it would be a problem.

The thread wasn't really hurting anyone in the first place.

IntelliHeath

As in "Heathcliff"
Is there usually a GAF lobby? How do I find it? Should I friend one of you guys?

Full invincibility for Thor's super grab makes my fucking day. No more mash jabs ruining my day!

EDIT - XBOX

Add MahvalGAF (if I remember the name right.) then you can find us easily.

Thanks for the scrub lobby.

Really need to work on playing better and finding a team that works.

Thanks! You too.. Your Cap America is very annoying so I had to take everything as I can to kill your Cap fast as I can.

For other people, Good games!

D

Deleted member 13876

Unconfirmed Member
Add MahvalGAF (if I remember the name right.) then you can find us easily.

Thanks! You too.. Your Cap America is very annoying so I had to take everything as I can to kill your Cap fast as I can.

For other people, Good games!

Good games man. I was faring a lot better in the scrub lobby than on kadey's stream. Btw, you remember the name wrong :p MahvelGaf is the name of the tag.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom