• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Ultimate Marvel vs. Capcom 3 |OT| of 9 Years Urley

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dahbomb

if dahbomb is using nova, now i know nova has becomee the ultimate bandwagon character, amirite.
I know this is a joke and all but I was the one who was telling people Nova is amazing when people were hyping over Wright. I have been saying I have wanted to play the character even since his reveal.

IntelliHeath

As in "Heathcliff"
I know this is a joke and all but I was the one who was telling people Nova is amazing when people were hyping over Wright. I have been saying I have wanted to play the character even since his reveal.

Actually I thought it was obvious that Nova will be very good character from the beginning even he look brand to "most of people" right?

enzo_gt

tagged by Blackace
Actually I thought it was obvious that Nova will be very good character from the beginning even he look brand to "most of people" right?
Yeah after the first few pages, just like every other revealed pair, everyone was all "BOTH OF THESE REVEALS ARE AMAZING!"

Hype is a beautiful thing.

So have I been saying, and in fact, most people have said he looks at least solid. They just were hyping Wright cause Nova looked "boring" (in no way did he look boring, he looked superfun to play, and actually IS superfun to play <3).

Dahbomb

People thought he would have issues with his unsafe rush moves like that j.S, slow tri-dash and general inferiority versus the other 8 way characters. People thought he would be too straightforward without much real depth to him and he would struggle to get in and stuff.

I do remember most people in the know here said he was solid even if he was on the bland side.

Solar did you end up buying UMvC3 or not? During mah lurkin' I remember you saying that you "borrowed" a friends copy, but someone lending away their game so soon after release sounds pretty suspect man.

OWN UP. DID YOU SUCCUMB TO THE HYPE?
I'm on your friendlist, guy. I played the game for a few days and gave it back to him a week ago today IIRC. He actually owes me forty since I gave him my old headphones(that I would've replaced) and I would've gotten the game for free more or less. I decided I'd rather use the money for one of those big Steam game packages.

I had a lot of fun with Nova and I probably would've ended up using Dr. Doom if I would've bought the game. Hsien-Ko is still ass even though the jump cancels make her more fun than before. I actually don't have any fighters to play at all now and Skullgirls doesn't excite me as much either(still my most hyped game of next year besides pringles edition). What a slump...
I like the way you think.
That song and "The Sun rises" are amazing. So much talent in that game...
Yep, five minutes after his reveal and I knew he would be my perfect character. I was worried as fuck about him being near the back end of the reveals though.
Can't believe I lost to Morrigan's missile hyper. :|
eww

Grecco

Suggesting Nova didnt look boring is silly. He looked boring then. His specials looked like specials from other dudes (Cause they kinda are) and there was no way we really knew about this red life mechanic till Seth made that video.

Hes certainly a solid character thats fun to play though. I keep switching between him, and Hawkeye and Strider as my anchors on my teams.

Suggesting Nova didnt look boring is silly. He looked boring then. His specials looked like specials from other dudes (Cause they kinda are) and there was no way we really knew about this red life mechanic till Seth made that video.

Ahahaha. No. To me, he looked like a character who's right up my alley, and he definitely looked fun to play. Since the very first moment. And my expectation would hold true.

Remember me going on a hissy fit cause people kept saying "yawn, nova sooooo boring, what a waste of a slot"? Yea, I still defend the point that Nova NEVER looked boring just cause he has somewhat generic supers.

Azure J

That would be really cool!

I'm really disappointed they didn't make new stages specifically for the new characters. The Dead Rising mall or the Phoenix Wright courtroom would have been fantastic.

The lack of Temen-Ni-Gru with both Dante & Vergil in the roster, an Okami stage with the brush and ink effects going wild, Deserted Chateau with so many Darkstalkers around (though my personal hype pick would be Tower of Arrogance), Neo Arcadia/Yggdrasil for Zero (because Legends stages are overused and some of the concept art for locales in the Zero series screams for a full 3D interpretation. Observe. Also this. :p) or hell something with a more Street Fighter flair (NYC Subway '99 anyone?) were all equal moments of underutilized potential in terms of level picks from the Capcom side of things.

My eyes widened when I saw the words "PC release" in bold...

and there is absolutely nothing wrong with that if someone wants to buy the game. I laugh at the people who try to act like the game is anything but a cash grab(crafted with care by Niitsuma's team of course). The game is a step in the right direction for tourney goers and even small step forward for online warriors, but I LOL at those those that try to paint it as anything but a cashcow for Capcom's suits.

This is the fate of every game/series/franchise in this industry. Mahvel 3 just reached that stage at a much faster pace than usual which is unfortunate for us.
What a depressingly honest and true response.

enzo_gt

tagged by Blackace

Hes certainly a solid character thats fun to play though. I keep switching between him, and Hawkeye and Strider as my anchors on my teams.
We figured out the red life mechanic in the thread before the IGN videos went up and Seth explained it. They demonstrated it in the trailer and people deduced it.

And his moves looked really cool from the start, his j.S had me hyped. It's only his hypers that looked boring, which still do, even though I have a tendency to scream out POWER OF THE NOVA FORCE.

Kai Dracon

Writing a dinosaur space opera symphony
While I think the Days of Future Past stage makes up for a lot, it's true there's not enough fan service in the stages. Issue with the game's limited budget, I'd suspect; detailing the characters came first.

The original stock stages did a good job of repping Capcom, it's just a shame the alt stages couldn't really do double duty with more rich Capcom fan service.

Of course, it's hard for me to really fault the game's stages considering how bad and few the stages in MVC2 were. Compared to that, UMVC3 is heaven :p

enzo_gt

tagged by Blackace
While I think the Days of Future Past stage makes up for a lot, it's true there's not enough fan service in the stages. Issue with the game's limited budget, I'd suspect; detailing the characters came first.

The original stock stages did a good job of repping Capcom, it's just a shame the alt stages couldn't really do double duty with more rich Capcom fan service.

Of course, it's hard for me to really fault the game's stages considering how bad and few the stages in MVC2 were. Compared to that, UMVC3 is heaven :p
The City That Never Sleeps is probably my favourite stage in the game, and is OOZING fanservice. It's all so subtle, but they detailed all the minor references in one of the panels they did. But during said panel they went over Days of Future Past and TCTNS at length, showing where most of their effort went.

All this does is remind me that MvC pretty much has unbounded potential in every facet of the game, from stages to characters, just limited by budget and stuff. And this saddens me because I just think "it's nice to want things." :(

ReiGun

I want an Avengers mansion stage, filled with all sorts of cameos from Avengers just hanging out in the mansion and watching the fight. It could be awesome.

Post about Capcom-themed stages

Oh believe me, the Marvel side is not much better off; in fact, there's a LOT of significant locations that were left out, and the Hand hideout isn't even that important...

There's Latveria, Atlantis (fighting underwater would be so boss), Xavier's School for Gifted Children (although the Danger Room kinda represents that), Wakanda, Avengers/Stark Tower or Avengers Mansion, Monster Island, the countless space areas (Asteroid M, Galactus' station, ships or planets of the Skrull, Kree, Brood, Phalanx, etc.), Wundagore, Sanctum Sanctorum, a secret base of one of the many organisations (AIM, HYDRA, ...), K'un L'un, or Goodman, Lieber, Kurtzberg & Holliway Law Offices. I would also like to see something more random and unexpected as the Hand Hideout, like I dunno, the Tinkerer's Workshop, or an OsCorp factory or something.

enzo_gt

tagged by Blackace
Oh believe me, the Marvel side is not much better off; in fact, there's a LOT of significant locations that were left out, and the Hand hideout isn't even that important...

There's Latveria, Atlantis (fighting underwater would be so boss), Xavier's School for Gifted Children (although the Danger Room kinda represents that), Wakanda, Avengers/Stark Tower or Avengers Mansion, Monster Island, the countless space areas (Asteroid M, Galactus' station, ships or planets of the Skrull, Kree, Brood, Phalanx, etc.), Wundagore, Sanctum Sanctorum, a secret base of one of the many organisations (AIM, HYDRA, ...), K'un L'un, or Goodman, Lieber, Kurtzberg & Holliway Law Offices. I would also like to see something more random and unexpected, like I dunno, the Tinkerer's Workshop, or an OsCorp factory or something.
Latveria was the one I wanted most. D:

Next being Stark Tower with a suit gallery in the back. Xavier's school would be boring, nut now if they had some real money, a Danger Room with alternating simulations in the background would be awesome.

Latveria was the one I wanted most. D:

Next being Stark Tower with a suit gallery in the back. Xavier's school would be boring, nut now if they had some real money, a Danger Room with alternating simulations in the background would be awesome.

I actually originally intended to put in the CotA Danger Room into the post, but forgot about it apparently, so yes to that.

Also: Savage Land, Lemuria and a sewer stage with Morlocks, Lizard and/or Moleman in the background.
Edit2: Also, Baxter Building with the F4 hanging in the background, doing stuff.

Let us not forget: A space stage with Ego the living planet and other members of the GoTG

Sanctuary Sanctum

A Hell stage.

And I was one of the ones who deduced the red life mechanic for Nova.

And how is everybody enjoying the gimlet/arrow spam from the master archer?

Totally forgot about the Negative Zone, too. Oh man. The Vault would be awesome too, showing all these locked up super villains and such. ^_^

Unfortunately, I can't read F4 #600 yet... not out here yet, and my digital Marvel sub has run out. :|

COMIC READERS DO NOT HIGHLIGHT THIS!

Not only that but he throughout the issue he was getting stronger every time Annihilus killed him. He can now cause people to implode with a thought. And his new outfit is badass. Johnny is grade A badass. First Iceman go all duplicates with his powers and now this? RISE OF THE CLOWNS!

So yes issue was awesome. But on to UMvC3. Am I the only one who thinks people are underrating Iron Fist? The ability to touch you and kill a character without worrying about advancing guard is kinda stupid.

Giard

I'm now a 9th Lord :eek:

And if I remember correctly, I'm gonna be stuck there for the rest of my UMvC3 career. To become 8th, 7th, it's by win ratio and not by number of wins correct?

Also has someone found a list of titles to unlock?

...Oh and BTW Captain America's ending sucks

enzo_gt

tagged by Blackace
I'm now a 9th Lord :eek:

And if I remember correctly, I'm gonna be stuck there for the rest of my UMvC3 career. To become 8th, 7th, it's by win ratio and not by number of wins correct?

Also has someone found a list of titles to unlock?

Worst ending by far.

Razor210

...yeah...I'm hopping on the Nova train. For now at least - his airdash isn't the easiest to manage, and he's a little on the squishy side. And he loses red health for random stuff.

Solune

The lack of Temen-Ni-Gru with both Dante & Vergil in the roster, an Okami stage with the brush and ink effects going wild, Deserted Chateau with so many Darkstalkers around (though my personal hype pick would be Tower of Arrogance), Neo Arcadia/Yggdrasil for Zero (because Legends stages are overused and some of the concept art for locales in the Zero series screams for a full 3D interpretation. Observe. Also this. :p) or hell something with a more Street Fighter flair (NYC Subway '99 anyone?) were all equal moments of underutilized potential in terms of level picks from the Capcom side of things.
Someone get this man into Capcom, stat.
Is the only Morrigan strategy to mash? Because that's literally the only thing online Morrigans do.
Apollo's Morrigan is pretty nasty on the other hand.
But his theme is amazing. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j2jR1LSvXlE

Giard

In vanilla it was Obama
Wow, it's actually true. :lol
Even the text is a little better.

EDIT: Stupid question: When the game asks me if I want to activate Fight Request in Arcade or Training mode, does that mean that anybody can challenge me while I'm playing? Or only people from my friends list?

There's Latveria, Atlantis (fighting underwater would be so boss), Xavier's School for Gifted Children (although the Danger Room kinda represents that), Wakanda, Avengers/Stark Tower or Avengers Mansion, Monster Island, the countless space areas (Asteroid M, Galactus' station, ships or planets of the Skrull, Kree, Brood, Phalanx, etc.), Wundagore, Sanctum Sanctorum, a secret base of one of the many organisations (AIM, HYDRA, ...), K'un L'un, or Goodman, Lieber, Kurtzberg & Holliway Law Offices. I would also like to see something more random and unexpected as the Hand Hideout, like I dunno, the Tinkerer's Workshop, or an OsCorp factory or something.

God, this just makes me realize how HUGE of a missed opportunity Ultimate's stages are. I mean, I know they take time and resources to make, but I'd take 2 or 3 of these stages over all the remixed ones we got, even if some look great (Asgard).

@Jeri: If we're gonna choose MM stages that aren't from Legends, why not an X one? After all, we have both protagonists now (even if one is just a skin...). I was thinking that, if done correctly, the orbital elevator could look great. As soon as the match begins, it starts moving, and during the fight it keeps going and going and going until it gets to space.

I'm with Grecco on the Nova debate. I thought he was boring and looked like a mis-mash of other characters. I use him a lot now, he's a great rushdown character. Honestly, the characters i was most salty about (Nova and Virgil) have probably gotten the most milage out of me since UMvC3. However, i'm really trying to learn more stuff with Firebrand, Wright, Frank West, and Strange.

Storm/Vergil/XXX?
Storm/XXX/Vergil?

Any suggestions?

I'm not familiar with the effectiveness of Storm's assists, but you want a good horizontal assist for Vergil. His effectiveness goes nearly from average to great just with a good assist in the pocket.

Dante's weasel shot, Ammy's cold star, Chris' machine guns, etc. etc. Experiment with those with such criteria. Nova's assist also works well as an overhead and lock-down.

One thing I must say - is that the herp derpness is toned down in Ultimate.

Then I played against Doom.

So what's the best counter and strategy against Foot Diving mother fuckers. Leave it to Capcom to herp derp a character that didn't need to be herp derped to begin with.

I love how City That Never Sleeps looks but...can you imagine Green Goblin, Venom and Doc Ock wrecking shit in the background and how awesome that'd be? Would take a hell of a budget but yeah same for SHIELD Air Show: Fing Fang Foom attacking and the Avengers (or Iron Man suits or whatever) defending it.

I wish this game had a bottomless budget, snif.

Oh wow. I'm looking through the guide, and Shuma-Gorath received some buffs that people aren't aware of...a few examples:
1) Aerial Mystic Smash is an overhead now.
2) Devitalization has 22 active frames (no joke).

One thing I must say - is that the herp derpness is toned down in Ultimate.

Then I played against Doom.

So what's the best counter and strategy against Foot Diving mother fuckers. Leave it to Capcom to herp derp a character that didn't need to be herp derped to begin with.
Why do people always ask for matchup advice without saying what characters they play? It's maddening. Doom is free to my team, but that doesn't mean I can help you.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom