• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Ultimate Marvel vs. Capcom 3 |OT| of 9 Years Urley

Status
Not open for further replies.
Like I said, this doesn't mean you can't excuse it for not giving the same bang for your buck as another game does, but saying it's lazy is simply inaccurate. Anti-consumer? For sure, everyone in this thread has gone over a million times what this game could've been if corporate Marvel and to a lesser extent Capcom did not muddy up the process, but lazy is not a descriptor of what occurred during the development.

If you want something feature-filled, with lots of money put into it, Capcom doesn't want you here, they want you to buy SFxTK. The comparison to SC2 is pretty farfetched too outside of face value for games with such different development processes, hurdles and budgets. Niitsuma's team did well within the confines of what they had, not every game has a backing like SC2 does. Few games do.
Smartest post I've read out of the tens of thousands of posts throughout all the Mahvel 3 threads. We were only truly important to them in the launch months of MvC3. They are relying on the "perks" of UMvC3 to pull us in at this point.

DarkoMaledictus

Tier Whore
Smartest post I've read out of the tens of thousands of posts throughout all the Mahvel 3 threads. We were only truly important to them in the launch months of MvC3. They are relying on the "perks" of UMvC3 to pull us in at this point.

Back in the day support was nil... its gotten better. Not sure what everyone is raving about. You get a game you play for 1000 hours for 40 bucks, not sure about you guys but I aint getting no 1000 hours out of any other game support or no support...

enzo_gt

tagged by Blackace
Yep. The two main targets are, the hardcore MvC3 buyers who can't break the habit, and pretty much people who held out for Ultimate anyways.

Sven talks stuff. Stuff relevant to this thread:
Does it take more than Capcom-Unity to get something fans want happening? — Everyone's Friend

Svensson: In a word, no.

In more than a word, it depends a lot on the request, how it's couched, the amount of support for it (e.g. huge thread, repeatedly raised in various areas) and a lopsidedly in favor tone to the conversation (few naysayers) so as to indicate that this is a prevalent opinion of the community at large.

Unfortunately, that alone isn't enough. It has to be viable for us (e.g. the game still in development at a point where a change like this could be made without affecting budget or schedule or there are unallocated dev resources post launch that could work on such a thing).

In terms of products, there are LOADS that started out as fan requests or got internal support due to vocal fans. Here's just a few:

Street Fighter IV
MvC2
MvC3
Okami Wii
SSFIV:AE PC
SFxT PC
SF3: Online Edition
RE4 HD
Final Fight: Double Impact (well, the Final Fight part of it was requested anyway)

And there's more on the way I can't talk about.

Capcom, why is there no season-pass model for UMvC3 DLC? — 2n2

Svensson: I seem to recall that we discussed season pass but I completely forget why we didn't do it. I remember there was a legitimate submission based/MS requirements reason for this but forgot the details. When I'm back in the office after Thanksgiving, I'll try to corner the [product manager] and have him remind me of that discussion.

Will there be a PC release of Ultimate Marvel vs. Capcom 3? — President Magikarp

Svensson: There are no current plans for a PC version. Sorry.

My eyes widened when I saw the words "PC release" in bold...
Yep. The two main targets are, the hardcore MvC3 buyers who can't break the habit, and pretty much people who held out for Ultimate anyways.
and there is absolutely nothing wrong with that if someone wants to buy the game. I laugh at the people who try to act like the game is anything but a cash grab(crafted with care by Niitsuma's team of course). The game is a step in the right direction for tourney goers and even small step forward for online warriors, but I LOL at those those that try to paint it as anything but a cashcow for Capcom's suits.

This is the fate of every game/series/franchise in this industry. Mahvel 3 just reached that stage at a much faster pace than usual which is unfortunate for us.

I had fun watching the XBL stream by Kadey earlier... whichever GAFer was using the Dante|Vergil|Morrigan team was on a tear -- those were some good matches, I think I see a lot of things I can use to improve my own dante or morrigan if I ever get my hands on a copy of this. :lol

I did have to bail when it became constant PW matches though.

Sven talks stuff. Stuff relevant to this thread:

Why did you forget the most important question?
Why do the male characters in Street Fighter and now SFxT all seem to be lacking nipples? — Metalhart

Svensson: I'm completely unsure how to tackle this one. Not exactly super eager to go corner Ono and ask his thoughts on this (which admittedly, is something I've never noticed until you've now mentioned it).

What if I told you that Firebrand has no nipples in UMvC3? Would you believe me?

Now you can't unsee it, muhahahaha!

I believe you, and he has no nipples in general. :>

Not that I would mind it either way, mind you... and why do you think I have problems with that? :D

alright guys final question about my team, i'll stop spamming the thread so you guys can talk about general strategy instead of me being bad at this game:

if you're going viper (burn kick)/dante (?)/strider (vajra) would you do Weasel Shot or Jam Session for dante?

I figured jam session/vajra kindof serve a similar purpose since the function is to get people out of the air, and I don't really have an assist that covers the ground well. at the same time.....jam session lockdown is sooooo tasty for viper/strider mixup. though its not like weasel shot doesn't give you a small amount of time to do some work anyway.

alright guys final question about my team, i'll stop spamming the thread so you guys can talk about general strategy instead of me being bad at this game:

if you're going viper (burn kick)/dante (?)/strider (vajra) would you do Weasel Shot or Jam Session for dante?

I figured jam session/vajra kindof serve a similar purpose since the function is to get people out of the air, and I don't really have an assist that covers the ground well. at the same time.....jam session lockdown is sooooo tasty for viper/strider mixup. though its not like weasel shot doesn't give you a small amount of time to do some work anyway.

Does Jam Session work for setting up an unblockable Focus Attack?

Toski

After playing a while yesterday, Captain America is my kind of herp derp. 650k off of abcs x bbcs x shield slash l x hyper charging star (or final justice if they're mid screen).

And Ghost Rider is for real. I fought some good ones and that shit is annoying with full screen hit confirms and trish traps set up.

After playing a while yesterday, Captain America is my kind of herp derp. 650k off of abcs x bbcs x shield slash l x hyper charging star (or final justice if they're mid screen).

And Ghost Rider is for real. I fought some good ones and that shit is annoying with full screen hit confirms and trish traps set up.

Are Cap's assists any good? I mess with Shield Slash a little but it didn't seem that great.

OH BY THE WAY GUYS!

When ripping the soundfiles on the disc to access the music, I stumbled across one peculiar song among the stage themes. This song is NOT in the game currently. It has a heavy Eastern Asian vibe (i.e. it sounds Chinese or somesuch), and it is not part of any of the new stages.
Mind you, there's only 1 of the new stages that got a new theme, which is the new Danger Room, all the others use the same stage themes as their original counterparts.

Now, what this hints at is:
a.) There was an aptly themed stage in development, but was scrapped, and the theme was forgotten or
b.) There is going to be an aptly themed stage as DLC or
c.) Both (though then the theme would've been there for convenience, so the download isn't as big).

enzo_gt

tagged by Blackace

Ryu is my herp derp. Ryu herp derp is best herp derp.

OH BY THE WAY GUYS!

When ripping the soundfiles on the disc to access the music, I stumbled across one peculiar song among the stage themes. This song is NOT in the game currently. It has a heavy Eastern Asian vibe (i.e. it sounds Chinese or somesuch), and it is not part of any of the new stages.
Mind you, there's only 1 of the new stages that got a new theme, which is the new Danger Room, all the others use the same stage themes as their original counterparts.

Now, what this hints at is:
a.) There was an aptly themed stage in development, but was scrapped, and the theme was forgotten or
b.) There is going to be an aptly themed stage as DLC or
c.) Both (though then the theme would've been there for convenience, so the download isn't as big).
:O
Fascinating. I would count on it being something for H&H before I attribute it to anything else though, maybe a weekly victory notification (or menu) theme or something lodged into a stage themes directory.

Tell us what else you can dig from the disc!

I'm working on Doom's tiger knee Plasma Beam H into air Photon Array, but the super doesn't always come out. Is there a height requirement or timing window you need to hit to cancel into the super?

Caps assists are good for keeping off, not getting in. I would recommend Charging Star to plow through projectiles on the way in.

Cool, good to know.

:O
Fascinating. I would count on it being something for H&H before I attribute it to anything else though, maybe a weekly victory notification theme or something lodged into a stage themes directory.

I doubt it; all the miscellaneous stuff is lodged in differently, and a Chinese theme for H&H wouldn't make a lot of sense.

Tell us what else you can dig from the disc!

Nothing else, I'm not very good with data decrypting, I just know how to yank sound/music files out of the disc if I manage to find it.

entremet

Any good YT tutorial resources? Missed MvC3 because I knew Capcom was gonna pull this shit, as they did with SFIV. Man, this game is hectic. I keep getting opened up like a can of sardines.

Wonder if it has anything to do with that Okami stage Niitsuma said they yanked from Vanilla's development.

That doesn't sound likely to me, that they would put in the stage theme in Ultimate and leave it in there, as well, unless they decided to pick the idea up again.

It's entirely possible, though. Okami, Asian Street Fighter, Hsien-Ko, K'un L'un (Iron Fist-themed stage)... I wouldn't count any of it out.

Did Galactus eat half of your name?
Nah, just wanted to shorten it to something slightly less lengthy to type. Probably would have happened sooner if it weren't for the whole posting scans and getting my ass banned thing. >_>

That doesn't sound likely to me, that they would put in the stage theme in Ultimate and leave it in there, as well, unless they decided to pick the idea up again.

It's entirely possible, though. Okami, Asian Street Fighter, Hsien-Ko, K'un L'un (Iron Fist-themed stage)... I wouldn't count any of it out.
That Okami stage was just the first thing that came to mind, really. (Maybe they did consider putting it in Ultimate at one point...?) A stage for Iron Fist sounds like it'd make more sense, though.

It's not a remix of any Okami, Street Fighter or Darkstalkers music track, for what it's worth, but neither are any of the other Capcom stages (Metro City, Tricell, Kattleox and Demon Village).

Yoshichan

And they made him a Lord of Cinder. Not for virtue, but for might. Such is a lord, I suppose. But here I ask. Do we have a sodding chance?
The two latest sets from Crosscounter = Best thing EVER.

REPRESENTING MSS, BITCHES. 11 YEARS AND GOING

enzo_gt

tagged by Blackace
Solar did you end up buying UMvC3 or not? During mah lurkin' I remember you saying that you "borrowed" a friends copy, but someone lending away their game so soon after release sounds pretty suspect man.

OWN UP. DID YOU SUCCUMB TO THE HYPE?

wow....i bet everybody knew this but me: if you hold S after you launch....it auto super jumps after the opponent and you keep comboing. i seoriusly had no idea.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom