• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Ultimate Marvel vs. Capcom 3 |OT| of 9 Years Urley

Status
Not open for further replies.
The feeling of practicing a BnB ... only to get matched up with someone else that knows it and he happens to use it against you. <3 Nova's H loop.

I think I need to work on my Hawkeye now. I'm also thinking of going Nova/Hawkeye/Doom instead of Hawkeye/Nova/Taskmaster. Gotta do some soul searching.

Grecco

Isn't it Fingercramp's show, and they just got Jago on to help 'em do it?

Anyways, Jago's jokes are pretty hit or miss. And his character tutorials are mediocre to useless. It's like he put zero effort at all into them, glossing over many things like he's in a rush and doesn't want to be doing it. C'mon son, how do you put out tutorials AFTER Maximillian's, when the game is actually out and they're worse than his?

Eh id say WWHY is Jagos show, made by FC? Either way its not a real beef.

Dahbomb

The more I play this game the more I believe that the top 3 characters in this game are all Capcom characters and the bottom 3 characters are also all Capcom characters.

The Marvel side is really solid in terms of balance. The Capcom side is all over the place.

Isn't it Fingercramp's show, and they just got Jago on to help 'em do it?

Anyways, Jago's jokes are pretty hit or miss. And his character tutorials are mediocre to useless. It's like he put zero effort at all into them, glossing over many things like he's in a rush and doesn't want to be doing it. C'mon son, how do you put out tutorials AFTER Maximillian's, when the game is actually out and they're worse than his?

He goes over the normals!

enzo_gt

tagged by Blackace
He goes over the normals!
And still manages to miss some and miss command normals.

Here look, I'm fighting game pro FC Jago.
So his standing A is pretty useless outside of combos.
So his standing B is pretty useless outside of combos.
So his standing C is pretty useless outside of combos.
So his S is pretty useless outside of combos.
So his crouching A is pretty useless outside of combos.
So his crouching B is pretty useless outside of combos.
So his crouching C is pretty useless outside of combos

I think I've got something going here, BRB GUN MAEK SHOW.

SmokeMaxX

And OMG at Cap. I knew he was buffed but he feels so sick! I've never touched him before and I was pulling shield combos out of my ass like it was nothing. Definitely going to be using him in the future.
Everytime you use him in training mode and you pull off something simple, you'll be like LOOK AT THE DAMAGE!
Lol, I wouldn't be surprised if he had some of the highest magic series damage in the game. Or Magic Series OTG Hyper damage.

Dahbomb

What command normals did he miss? I saw the Ghost Rider one the most recently and it was decent. Covered the importance of the forward moving st.M for karas, st.H for long range pressure, cr.H for those surprise low and hit confirming against short characters, st.S/j.S of course, j.H and the godly Heartless Spire command normal. The rest of his normals aren't worth talking about at all. Covered the specials as well and made note of "Eat Chain" along with being able to kara it for exceptional coverage.

It's a day 1 guide, he keeps saying it in every video so of course it's going to be barebones.

Captain America hits like a grown ass man... nothing new. Easiest 850K damage solo combo in the game that I have seen thus far. Ryu has exceptional damage as well but you need to transform mid combo and build the rest of the bar in the combo. It's definitely doable on point and he is able to kill characters with it. Vergil starting with 1 bar can kill the 950K cast members. Let's not talk about about Iron Man's assist combos that do a million damage for only 1 bar used... LOL!

Other grown ass men/beings in this game: Nova, Iron Fist, Spencer, Wesker (no glasses), Hulk, Thor, Magneto, Nemesis, Doom, Dormammu

The line during Wesker's closeup is "Humans are so weak!" but for some reason he cuts himself off with his next line unless you're playing online with lag. I guess they recorded it and then decided the startup animation should be shorter.

Also, Wesker sounds weird as fuck in Japanese.

enzo_gt

tagged by Blackace
What command normals did he miss? I saw the Ghost Rider one the most recently and it was decent. Covered the importance of the forward moving st.M for karas, st.H for long range pressure, cr.H for those surprise low and hit confirming against short characters, st.S/j.S of course, j.H and the godly Heartless Spire command normal. The rest of his normals aren't worth talking about at all. Covered the specials as well and made note of "Eat Chain" along with being able to kara it for exceptional coverage.

It's a day 1 guide, he keeps saying it in every video so of course it's going to be barebones.
No point in making a barebones guide I say if Week -1-6 one is better and your going to rush through everything. He missed some in the previous videos IIRC.

It's either that or "Such a waste! Justin Wong!"
LOL Shout outs to Chris Hu.

I've pretty much only touched 4 characters in ultimate so far: Zero, Wesker, Vergil, and now Doom. I figure if I build up a solid Wesker and a solid Doom early on (didn't learn them in the last game, except for an extremely basic Wesker), that will give me some pretty good building blocks for teams down the road when I want to experiment with other characters.

The more I play this game the more I believe that the top 3 characters in this game are all Capcom characters and the bottom 3 characters are also all Capcom characters.

The Marvel side is really solid in terms of balance. The Capcom side is all over the place.
This was a given the moment we saw how good the Marvel changelog was(outside of She Hulk lolz).

~Devil Trigger~

In favor of setting Muslim women on fire
Speaking of Jenny, im in Lab with her again, I cant keep my hands of her even with the nerfs :\

air combos, self relaunch and juggles are stricter now(hit stun d, etc). OTG topedo seems easier(maybe she lands faster after S). And it looks like you can call assist at any point during Pole Swing.

Toge

anyone in the EU got a copy of the UMvC3 bible? i ordered from book depository in the UK but it hasn't shipped, was meant to on the 25th.

Dahbomb

She Hulk needs assists now more than ever.

Seriously though, beam assist is like an easy button for Wesker, like he even needed one.

Now I can just copy all of Viscant's bullshit.
Some of Viscant's BS with the beam assist were because of Unibeam. The hold down on the Unibeam allowed Wesker to get into the perfect position to just jab and reset them. It's possible with other beams too but it's the best with Unibeam.

And WTF is up with so many of these new characters having cr.L's that don't hit low?

She Hulk needs assists now more than ever.

Some of Viscant's BS with the beam assist were because of Unibeam. The hold down on the Unibeam allowed Wesker to get into the perfect position to just jab and reset them. It's possible with other beams too but it's the best with Unibeam.
Well for now, using Doom beam for a relaunch is better than my old launcher, magic series, THC. Yes I know all about Wesker's wall bounces, etc and I can do that shit in training mode just fine, but I prefer retarded-easy combos for real matches if I'm using anyone other than Zero. I'll work my way up to the fancier stuff.

Axis

if you wanna play add me on xbl: vexco

add to the fact online will probably make viper combos go to shit and this might be really ugly ;P

Bizazedo

So in the interest of discussion, two things a buddy texted me that I can't look into because I am at work trying to be a responsible human.

One, people are finding some good synergy with Dark Phoenix and Frank West meter gain assist?

Two, changing it so you can air tech throws in recovery helps people like Taskmaster out a lot? :).

LakeEarth

I love Nemesis air d.C because you can slap Sentinel assist and stop the drones from more than half-screen. I'm sure if I do it too much I'll start getting punished for it, but it hasn't happened yet.

EYEL1NER

What day are the costume packs coming out on? I didn't grab last week's until the end of the week and I need to know what day to look forward to this week.

I am so eager for Heroes and Heralds to come out. I hope we don't have to wait until after March for it.
I was so frustrated this weekend. My Ultimate guide came in and I spent so much time in training mode trying to pull off Ghost Rider's "Look into my eyes!" kara. Could not pull it off a single time... :(

What is with this obsession of exposing people as frauds?

What does that even mean in the fighting game sense? That the player isn't as good as his results are showing or that he's winning because of broken characters and he actually sucks.
The latter. I'm not a fan of hate in the community, personally.

I'm not a fighting game fan in the main, but I can't stop watching videos of this game. Especially tournament play.

Will I like it? Does it takes months of practice to get any satisfaction?

I'm not a fighting game fan in the main, but I can't stop watching videos of this game. Especially tournament play.

Will I like it? Does it takes months of practice to get any satisfaction?

UMvC3 is the most "instant gratification" fighting game on the market! It doesn't take much practice to do cool stuff.

McNum

The very first screen when you start the game is a warning that the game contains rapidly flashing images. This is not actually a warning, it's a promise. It'll take a little to find out what's what in the basics of the game, but you'll be slinging out Hypers and basic combos pretty quickly. The real trick for later, of course, is learning how to use those well.

Ken

Any tips for how to approach opponents on the ground from the air? I'm usually confused as to what to do when I super jump up and just press attack buttons as I'm falling. I usually get hit instead. I'm using CapAm, Frank, and Ryu if anyone has character specific tips.

Another thing I need help with is how to break an opponent guarding in the corner? I know grabbing works but I'm usually too hesitant to walk up and grab them.

GuardianE

Santa May Claus
The latter. I'm not a fan of hate in the community, personally.

I feel like it's mostly been playful jabs between friends.

I'm using CapAm, Frank, and Ryu if anyone has character specific tips.

Another thing I need help with is how to break an opponent guarding in the corner? I know grabbing works but I'm usually too hesitant to walk up and grab them.

If they're in the corner, they're just asking for an unblockable setup, though your characters aren't all that suited for it. Just call Frank cart and Cartwheel behind him. Or just chip him to death. Pure turtling gets you killed in this game.

Trey

You'll be pumping out 600k combos in an hour or two of practice if you're familiar with fighting games at all. Can't give you an estimate if you're new to the entire genre.

The real meat and potatoes of Marvel is the set-ups and resets, which take a fair amount of play against good competition to hone. The rest is dependent on your finger dexterity and dedication.

Any tips for how to approach opponents on the ground from the air? I'm usually confused as to what to do when I super jump up and just press attack buttons as I'm falling. I usually get hit instead. I'm using CapAm, Frank, and Ryu if anyone has character specific tips.

Assists answer both of your questions. This game is about attacking from as many places at once while staying unpredictable in order to score a touch. You need a good assist to help. Some characters fair better than others in the rushdown department, but given your team, you should try to control space and take what the opponent gives you. Cap's shield and Ryu's hadokens help.

As for the corner turtles, grabs and a high low mixup while break through. Don't be afraid, Marvel is about taking the initiative.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom