• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Ultimate Marvel vs. Capcom 3 |OT| of 9 Years Urley

Status
Not open for further replies.

~Devil Trigger~

In favor of setting Muslim women on fire
Any tips for how to approach opponents on the ground from the air? I'm usually confused as to what to do when I super jump up and just press attack buttons as I'm falling. I usually get hit instead. I'm using CapAm, Frank, and Ryu if anyone has character specific tips.

Another thing I need help with is how to break an opponent guarding in the corner? I know grabbing works but I'm usually too hesitant to walk up and grab them.
Cap's jump L. Shield is good air to ground tactic. And if they're in the corner , throw insta air L.Shield call assist(shoppin cart or ryu tatsu) and cartwheel behind.

Sixfortyfive

He who pursues two rabbits gets two rabbits.
Any tips for how to approach opponents on the ground from the air?
Call Taskmaster assist, then fly Air Delta coast to coast. >_>

Shield Slash L and Tatsu L are probably good. Cap and Ryu's j.S attacks have good hitboxes below them, but have the unfortunate trait of being unable to be canceled due to being S attacks. (Which is why I don't think I'll ever be able to shake my TvC Ryu habits out of my system and pick him up in this game.) Cap's down+H might also be decent, maybe downforward+H for an airthrow option select. I dunno if that works. Try it out.

When all else fails, call an assist to cover you first. That goes for air approaches and throw attempts.

~Devil Trigger~

In favor of setting Muslim women on fire
Has this one been posted before?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bdbSbXJULLM

Science!

science_it_works.png

Dirtbag

Firebrand is my dude. Low damage output, but I love playing the dude. He can zone and rush with the best of'em. The only thing keeping him from being top tier is damage output.

Finding it's getting harder for me to open someone up with Nova these days. His early tricks aren't working anymore.

Starting to look at putting together a
Firebrand / Skrull / Akuma
Firebrand / Skrull / Wesker
Firebrand / Spencer / Akuma

Zero destroys me regularly. I'm thinking about learning how to play him just to see where the weak spots are. But his normals and bullshit is becoming too much for me.
Might need to pick up cap'n merica to shut him down.

Dahbomb

so yeah i can shoot fucking lightning now

thanks capcom
*Has a salty attack*

Fighting against Zero these days is like trying to catch lightning. Or two of them.

Holy shit, Zero's lightning cancel is cheap.
Agreed. The lightning should disappear the moment it's cancelled into a Buster. It's persistence on the screen bothers me greatly.

Against in coming characters Zero has a double ambiguous cross up series.

*Has a salty attack*

Fighting against Zero these days is like trying to catch lightning. Or two of them.

It's like stealth lightning out of nowhere. And for free, cause I was gonna fire the buster anyway.

I'm glad I finally put a little time into Zero; I've been too busy learning other characters.

Agreed. The lightning should disappear the moment it's cancelled into a Buster. It's persistence on the screen bothers me greatly.
The lightning doesn't even appear until after the buster has already fired. At least the way I'm doing it.

Sixfortyfive

He who pursues two rabbits gets two rabbits.
On more than one occasion, I've deliberately spent ~40 Marvel seconds just trading hits with Zero until he dies. Couldn't figure out what else to do about his jumping H. If there's one thing Felicia lacks, it's derpy hitboxes.

LakeEarth

I was very proud of myself taking down a C xx f.C xx teleport above and behind you Zero. I x-factored just as he teleported and grabbed him in the air before he could land. Combo into death.

Oldschoolgamer

The physical form of blasphemy
There should be a warning sign that pops up on the screen, every time Zero steps on the stage, MMX style. He was bs in vanilla and is even more bs now. LOL.

Every time one is on the stage I know what to do, but still get mind fucked, especially if Dante is his assist. If they're running Jam session, they're probably going to be a bit more conservative. If it's weasel shot...rushdown all day.

Azure J

Thanks a lot thread, now I'm theory monstering a Zero team when I already have way too many team compositions I have to try when I play the game next. :lol

Dante/Vergil/Morrigan
Dante/Ammy/Strider
Dante/???/Strange

And now:

Zero/Dante/???

That SRK video is pretty much what I was seeing happening with the character from the moment the notes on his buster properties broke out in the urley pre-hype thread days. Holy fuuuuuuck, that stuff is dirty. It still blows my mind that this character turned out to be this fucking good in this game. Like if you told me a while back before both TatsuCap & MvC3 that Zero of all characters would have this much going for himself, I'd really doubt you.

Lump me in with the Zero haters.

There should be a warning sign that pops up on the screen, every time Zero steps on the stage, MMX style. He was bs in vanilla and is even more bs now. LOL.

Every time one is on the stage I know what to do, but still get mind fucked, especially if Dante is his assist. If they're running Jam session, they're probably going to be a bit more conservative. If it's weasel shot...rushdown all day.

What would you guys say is the most annoying thing Zero does?

IntelliHeath

As in "Heathcliff"
Can anyone refresh my memories.

Did someone said that there are cards that would allow us to summon new assists characters from H & H DLC right? (only few cards, such as like 8-10 cards.)

Dahbomb

I have been practicing against Zero shenanigans with Iron Man and Vergil. Vergil has the hit boxes to challenge Zero easily but he has nothing against lighting -> buster -> lightning. Really... it's a matter of if I get to use my bull shit before he gets to use his (but I guess that's the name of the game). If I use Round Trip at the wrong angle I get blown up by Buster shot.

With Iron Man I just spam his projectiles and when Zero tries to tag me with j.H I do Repulsor Spread and hope to combo off of it into Zero's death. Still don't know what to do about lightning -> buster -> lightning. In other news Iron Man's Smart Bombs in the air are very spam friendly. I still wished they were like MVC2 Smart Bombs.

With Nova, Gravimetric Pulse appears to keep him honest... I think. Haven't really used it in matches to comment.

If anyone has any pointers to deal with this lightning stuff I am all ears. Zoning is more effective against Zero this time around because he can't quickly cover space without taking risk (can't block during either command dash or normal air dash) but once he is in that mid screen range he can fish with the ambiguous stuff.

Hey at least there is nothing in the game that rivals vanilla Phoenix and Wolverine shenanigans with Tron/Haggar assist.

Lightning -> Buster -> Lightning easily. It's a double ambiguous cross up series and it's practically safe to use whenever he has a Buster shot charged up. If this aspect of him was fixed I would be ok with him in UMVC3.

He also needs to have some active frames on his normals shaved off IMO. Nothing too much though. Maybe increase the charge time on Buster, it always seems like he has it charged up and allows him to do it like 3+ times in a combo for obscene damage.

If anyone has any pointers to deal with this lightning stuff I am all ears. Zoning is more effective against Zero this time around because he can't quickly cover space without taking risk (can't block during either command dash or normal air dash) but once he is in that mid screen range he can fish with the ambiguous stuff.

Well, the lightning covers space.

GuardianE

Santa May Claus

The hitboxes on his normals (vs. hurtboxes and frame startup), his easy constant pressure, Buster cancel/Lightning cancel, and easy hitconfirms off pretty much anything.

I beat more Zeros than I lose to. Every one of them is still annoying.

Dahbomb

A lot of characters have easy hit confirms so that's not really an issue. It's too much asking for characters to have Iron Man level of hit confirm difficulty in this game... They already toned down his hit confirms by making Buster a soft knockdown and dropping faster.

As far as I know there are only 3 characters in this game who can pressurize safely at various distances and build obscene meter from it (and incidentally all 3 of them are my top 3 picks for the game). Zero, Dante and Viper. Of the newer cast, it seems Strider and Firebrand are the other 2 based off of week 1 impressions. Their neutral games and overall game plans are far from developed but that's the way they are heading at this rate.

GuardianE

Santa May Claus
A lot of characters have easy hit confirms so that's not really an issue. It's too much asking for characters to have Iron Man level of hit confirm difficulty in this game... They already toned down his hit confirms by making Buster a soft knockdown and dropping faster.

I suppose. I just find the way his normals hit to be irritating. Every normal of his seems to strike three times and last an entire match second.

Oh, and I know I'm late but welcome back, by the way. :)

Dahbomb

Yeah you basically have the same issue as everyone with Zero. The number of active frames on his normals.

Although now Frank West is the king of active frames on normals. Seriously... this guy is GOOD. Out ranges, out frames and out chips Zero's normals in LVL4+. And getting him there is pretty damn easy now, lots of set ups have been found already.

A Pretty Panda

fuckin' called it, man
Haha I'm so dumb. I've had Wesker on my alt team and I didn't use him to extend combos with his assist. Mostly thought of him as a way to do unblockables. Hooray for 1 bar 903k damage Sent combos.

A Pretty Panda

fuckin' called it, man
Oh and figured out you can DHC after Mighty Punish. I did it into Gamma Crush for 674k..... I don't know why I haven't thought of these things before.

GuardianE

Santa May Claus
Although now Frank West is the king of active frames on normals. Seriously... this guy is GOOD. Out ranges, out frames and out chips Zero's normals in LVL4+. And getting him there is pretty damn easy now, lots of set ups have been found already.

A good lot of Frank's normals have large hitboxes behind him, too. This often turns an opponent's assist sandwich into a happy birthday for Frank.

The latter. I'm not a fan of hate in the community, personally.
mike ross is funny when he does it because he still seems like hes a nice guy. combofiend is funny when he does it because he actually has the knowledge and game to back-up his cockiness. jago just looks like a douche when he does it even though he is still just joking around.

while jago challenging combofiend to a money match is entertaining, it'd be just as big a joke as when jago challenged viscant to a money match.

Dahbomb

Didn't Jago go 6-7 against Viscant? That's not too bad considering he was actually 6-1 at a certain point and downloaded Viscant in the set only to lose at the end on a bad judgment call. It was a pretty entertaining set.

I would watch a Jago vs Combofiend money match. I was a big fan of his old team in vanilla, definitely was a well thought out team with numerous set ups.

rexor0717

He exists? It's just his damn normals, now with all the buster shot cancel shit he's more annoying than ever. Only 2 characters I dread playing against are him and Wesker really.
This! I can handle other characters, but nothing brings out the salt like fucking Zero and Wesker.

My guide finally arrived. Now I can get down to business and hopefully form a team. I still love Dorm,Trish, and Wesker. I really enjoy playing Hawkeye too but I have no idea who I should go with for my team.

Didn't Jago go 6-7 against Viscant? That's not too bad considering he was actually 6-1 at a certain point and downloaded Viscant in the set only to lose at the end on a bad judgment call. It was a pretty entertaining set.

I would watch a Jago vs Combofiend money match. I was a big fan of his old team in vanilla, definitely was a well thought out team with numerous set ups.
he won 7-1 in my mind. viscant went easy on him.

Azure J

Now I want to watch all of SB again. That event was fucking wonderful for Marvel.

Dark Vortex with Wesker and Trish was terrifying stuff. She really shone that day.

Dahbomb

The alcohol is stupid lol you don't need it because you can get to Frank to LVL4+ in one combo with smart set ups. It's just an unnecessary risk at this point.

I have a Dark Vortex with Vergil as well. I don't have a name for it yet though...

CPS2

Playing this game in 480i sucks, i watch 360p YouTube videos and it looks amazing compared to how i'm playing it lol.

I watched all the strider videos i could find on srk, really liking this version of him, especially what they did with his "sonic boom" orb thing and useful wall cling. I recorded all my day 1 combos and can't believe how close i was to finding the good stuff. Some things just don't click until you see someone else do it.

Dahbomb

LMAO @ the Viscant comment on youtube. I don't know if Zero is his type of character.

I really think he should just stick it out with Wesker and do what he does best... have assist selections on deck to play against certain match ups.

enzo_gt

tagged by Blackace
Can anyone refresh my memories.

Did someone said that there are cards that would allow us to summon new assists characters from H & H DLC right? (only few cards, such as like 8-10 cards.)
Someone indeed said this but there was nothing substantial, and I'm not sure how people deduced it either. If they could figure out that much, at least give us a model or something D:

I am fiending for that H&H release date...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom