• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Ultimate Marvel vs. Capcom 3 |OT| of 9 Years Urley

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dahbomb

Now that's a fraud exposition.

Just saw demonstration of some Viper to Vergil synergy. 1.1 million+ DHC BnB combo going from Viper to Vergil. -_- I already knew you could put up numbers like that especially going from Dante to Vergil but I didn't think someone would do it with Viper, another meter intensive character like Vergil. A DHC combo from Zero to Vergil can probably kill Thor. You can definitely get away with putting Vergil 2nd on your team. His DHCs are extremely strong thanks to Spiral Sword especially if your point character doesn't have a ground bounce combo (like Zero/Viper/Wesker) and plus he still gets to have the luxury of one assist and LVL2XF at that spot.

Also I am convinced that Dante is best friends with every character in the game. This guys gets around!

Nori Chan

So I need some help countering a my friend who is a massive foot diver with Vergil.

I mean it's not a big deal, we just play for shits and giggles but dam that foot is annoying lol any tips guys?

it was also pretty laggy so yeah our matches weren't really taking that seriously since the lag kinda fucked all of our combos apart

Dahbomb

I am so hot and cold with Iron Man in this game.

Someone tell me some godlike tech on him.

So I need some help countering a my friend who is a massive foot diver with Vergil.

I mean it's not a big deal, we just play for shits and giggles but dam that foot is annoying lol any tips guys?
I forgot the frame advantage on Starfall but I think if you ground block it you can't punish it and it has a very solid hit box plus leads into sizeable combos.

You want to chicken block it and try to air throw it. Chicken blocking is basically just jumping and then blocking really quickly. If nothing else you can try to whiff punish it or X Factor guard cancel if it's a major problem.

Don't bother trying to do anything against Helm Breaker, he can even whiff teleport that move if he knows what he's doing.

IntelliHeath

As in "Heathcliff"
he might be a fraud but he is pretty good. too bad he has to learn nova now since combo dropped nemesis. well actually this may be good news for this guy since nova is really good.

Erm?

This combofiend on xbox360 is fake combofiend. Real Combofiend never own any xbox360.

Razor210

New team: Taskmaster/Nova/Ryu.

I think Nova is the new top tier char that isn't quite perfect, but respectable, so everyone's like, hey, time to get that awesome theme on my team.

smurfx

get some go again
i said i would never use a teleport character but i really like strider. since he has low life i won't feel that guilty using him. plus he can zone pretty well. i might pick up dormammu too maybe. i want to try him when i make the change to my stick.

After seeing the DHC Glitch make a small comeback with Frank/Firebrand, I decided to see if Joe can do it too. He kinda can with Mach Speed, but Slow-Mo is too slow for Frank to tag out and get a picture in. It's good to know though. I've been looking for an excuse to both 1) make a new team, and 2) use Firebrand.

Anyone have any advice on who would make a good third for this new team? I'm thinking CapAm just because he's a good anchor.

CPS2

Also I am convinced that Dante is best friends with every character in the game. This guys gets around!
Yeah Dante is the only character i won't be taking off my team. Not decided on who else i'll use, but yeah he seems to work well with every team i've come up with so far. BTW why do people put Strider as anchor? I thought he might be more of a 2nd char, but haven't really figured him out yet.

smurfx

get some go again
After seeing the DHC Glitch make a small comeback with Frank/Firebrand, I decided to see if Joe can do it too. He kinda can with Mach Speed, but Slow-Mo is too slow for Frank to tag out and get a picture in. It's good to know though. I've been looking for an excuse to both 1) make a new team, and 2) use Firebrand.

Anyone have any advice on who would make a good third for this new team? I'm thinking CapAm just because he's a good anchor.
dhc glitch in umvc3? where you see this?

Yeah Dante is the only character i won't be taking off my team. Not decided on who else i'll use, but yeah he seems to work well with every team i've come up with so far. BTW why do people put Strider as anchor? I thought he might be more of a 2nd char, but haven't really figured him out yet.
xfactor 3 and level 3 ouroborous is nuts with strider.

Nori Chan

I forgot the frame advantage on Starfall but I think if you ground block it you can't punish it and it has a very solid hit box plus leads into sizeable combos.

You want to chicken block it and try to air throw it. Chicken blocking is basically just jumping and then blocking really quickly. If nothing else you can try to whiff punish it or X Factor guard cancel if it's a major problem.

Don't bother trying to do anything against Helm Breaker, he can even whiff teleport that move if he knows what he's doing.

Oh God I'm stupid..

I should've worded it better. I mean He foots dive (Which I assume was a Doom only term, I apologize) and I wanted to know how I could counter with vergil.

Oldschoolgamer

The physical form of blasphemy

He's a mix-up king with lvl 3 XF. His wall cling is really good and orbs are ridiculous. It's basically a dead character when he has them on screen.

Formation B is pretty crazy as well...

Barrage

Regardless of how horrendous this team will do online, I LOVE playing Nova/Hawkeye/Arthur. It's making my Nova and Hawkeye 100X better than they were getting when my team was built around Tasky.

smurfx

get some go again
Regardless of how horrendous this team will do online, I LOVE playing Nova/Hawkeye/Arthur. It's making my Nova and Hawkeye 100X better than they were getting when my team was built around Tasky.
so how do you set things up? i played around with arthur today and his gold armor dagger toss assist is so damn good and it causes a bunch of hit stun. you ever try that? i started arthur on point and used his armor hyper and then tagged out. pretty much the same thing i do with zero.

smurfx

get some go again
Why would a really good team like that do poorly online?
if he uses his arthur's dagger toss assist and it hits the opponent then nova would have all day to smash that character. plus it would help out hawkeye a lot too by covering the the ground while he zones the air.

Barrage

so how do you set things up? i played around with arthur today and his gold armor dagger toss assist is so damn good and it causes a bunch of hit stun. you ever try that? i started arthur on point and used his armor hyper and then tagged out. pretty much the same thing i do with zero.

1.Build Meter with Nova.

2. Get Arthur in via raw/TAC.

3. Get Arthur out by DHCing Gold Armor into Hawkeye's Hyper.

I usually use his Fire Bottle Toss. That alternated with Centurion Pulse makes Hawkeye a zoning beast.

Maybe I should consider his Dagger Toss...

if he uses his arthur's dagger toss assist and it hits the opponent then nova would have all day to smash that character. plus it would help out hawkeye a lot too by covering the the ground while he zones the air.
Hmm, I think you misread me sir.

1.Build Meter with Nova.

2. Get Arthur in via raw/TAC.

3. Get Arthur out by DHCing Gold Armor into Hawkeye's Hyper.

I usually use his Fire Bottle Toss. That alternated with Centurion Pulse makes Hawkeye a zoning beast.

Maybe I should consider his Dagger Toss...
Since you have Nova's Pulse assist, I bet you can just start Arthur, call the assist, Gold Armor (which has invincibility frames until recovery BTW), throw some homing arrows to mess with your opponent, and then tag out.

Definitely switch to Dagger Toss. Fire Bottle is overrated.

smurfx

get some go again
Hmm, I think you misread me sir.

Since you have Nova's Pulse assist, I bet you can just start Arthur, call the assist, Gold Armor (which has invincibility frames until recovery BTW), throw some homing arrows to mess with your opponent, and then tag out.

Definitely switch to Dagger Toss. Fire Bottle is overrated.
i agree with you and just giving my opinion on what he should do. :p although i still prefer using zeros double handangeki assist. don't know why it's not used more. it comes out really fast and and there is hardly any time for other characters to punish him.

I think it's a really nice nerf to throws. It was a little too easy to get one random air throw in Vanilla and kill a character. It was also irritating to try for an air throw, but be just out of range, so you get a j.H, and then your opponent air throws you during j.H's startup! -_-

I'm not sure what the appropriate action is during throw-tech lock, though. That might take some thought.

Sixfortyfive

He who pursues two rabbits gets two rabbits.
It's pretty dumb, but I guess I just have to make it work for me by utilizing an impossible to punish Spidey Swing.

I see this a few times more I probably should personally, because I am trying to always back throw people with Doom or Sent into the corner, so sometimes missiles comes out on accident, and for some reason people try to throw me and I get the tech.

I see benefits Karst is saying, but it also sucks not being able to air throw haggar out of pipe or task out of spidey swing.

I wish when you tech'd throws on the ground it would separate you farther, maybe 3rd strike distance, so you are not automatically in throw range again, so the mashing of 6-7 throw techs doesn't happen, IDK.

I liked in old VS games when you popped backwards into the air after a throw tech.

Sixfortyfive

He who pursues two rabbits gets two rabbits.
I wish when you tech'd throws on the ground it would separate you farther, maybe 3rd strike distance, so you are not automatically in throw range again, so the mashing of 6-7 throw techs doesn't happen, IDK.

I liked in old VS games when you popped backwards into the air after a throw tech.
I really like the way techs are so fast and keep you at close range in this game. They felt awkward as hell to me in SF4

Being able to tech during recovery frames is retarded though.

Yea, I agree SF4 are maybe too far. I felt SF3 had the right distance, just a couple steps away. I feel throw techs didn't mess with the flow of a 3rd strike match too much.

I see this a few times more I probably should personally, because I am trying to always back throw people with Doom or Sent into the corner, so sometimes missiles comes out on accident, and for some reason people try to throw me and I get the tech.

I see benefits Karst is saying, but it also sucks not being able to air throw haggar out of pipe or task out of spidey swing.

I definitely sympathize with the problems it creates. However, could there be a better buff to Sentinel? Hahaha.

Aside from giving him his 400,000 health back.

Axis

Yeah good shit. Those Zero vs Viper matches got pretty crazy.

i'm at a loss against zero and wesker and always have been...i just don't know what to do against them yet. matches were fun tho and i'm really glad to be back to 50% with viper at least...now to get doom better >:D

Ugh, can't stand Zero's normals. Even after I used Slow on him, he can slice away and cover his entire body with no fear.
Smurf's sogenomou(however the fuck it is spelled) Zero cut straight through Morrigan's astral soul fist from the front AND behind in one of our last matches before I had to return the game to my friend. At first I thought it would trade.

That fucker is ridiculous. -_-

I am so fucking bad in this game..

When I get pressured I just sit there and block like crazy and always fuck up advance guarding so they end up hitting me and getting in. I also get raped by random people who just choose Akuma and fucking Tatsu nonstop :( No idea how to punish.. Likewise I get owned by Weskers and Dantes and Vergils that teleport all over and cross me up.

This game is so hard =[ I can't even get "9th _____ (Lord/Ranger)" rating.. ugh

There are a few things I'm having issues with

1) Movement.. My guys move so slow.. I try dashing and even use the (Attack + Attack) shortcut key but it feels like I am still moving slow or it only moves you so much and you have to wait a brief second or two before hitting it again to dash...
2) Blocking .. I am blocking and just buckling down and getting owned in corners. I can't tell if they are hitting me low and I keep trying to advance guard but sometimes it just causes me to get opened up..
3) Throws.. How the hell do you tech throws in this game? They move in within seconds and just throw you and you have no clue/idea they do that =[
4) Punishes.. I see guys whiff combos on me all the time and me not advance guarding so they are still close.. I try to punish with my fastest attack or what I think is my fastest attack (crouch light) and it whiffs or it doesn't punish and they are able to block.. Blah :(
5) Attacking/Approaching.. I seem to be having issues approaching and using normals to get in and start combos onto people. Like for Doom I do a lot of jumping mediums but I can't seem to connect anything after 2 of those.

Currently I am using Doom/Firebrand/Hawkeye..

I would say Doom and Firebrand are my best combo guys..

With Doom I can launch and super cancel into air finger lasers.. I can't do his dash cancels in the air though to continue combos after that. I can do combos with him in the corner for free though including relaunches!

With Firebrand I can launch and do his ground drag and actually launch back up and into super so my Firebrand is pretty ok with combos. I rely on his ground drag attack too much though. I saw a Firebrand who kept diving on me and doing some sort of crazy pressure string on me in the corner. That was pretty epic :p

Hawkeye is my savior. He is my anchor and I totally rely on Lvl 3 X factor for him to save the day. Ive taken out full teams just zoning people with Triple Arrow spam in Lvl 3 X-Factor and his Gimlet.. I know his launch combo up and back down and then into Poison arrow but that is about it. I have issues hitting it in the corner.. I seem to always miss.

Either way.. The game is fun. I did get my first Happy Birthday on some guy today while I had my Doom out. I was able to launch him and knock both into a corner then relaunch and cancel into Air Finger Lasers then X-Factor into Air Finger Lasers again. It was pretty epic :)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom