• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Ultimate Marvel vs. Capcom 3 |OT| of 9 Years Urley

Status
Not open for further replies.

Axis

There are a few things I'm having issues with

1) Movement.. My guys move so slow.. I try dashing and even use the (Attack + Attack) shortcut key but it feels like I am still moving slow or it only moves you so much and you have to wait a brief second or two before hitting it again to dash...
2) Blocking .. I am blocking and just buckling down and getting owned in corners. I can't tell if they are hitting me low and I keep trying to advance guard but sometimes it just causes me to get opened up..
3) Throws.. How the hell do you tech throws in this game? They move in within seconds and just throw you and you have no clue/idea they do that =[
4) Punishes.. I see guys whiff combos on me all the time and me not advance guarding so they are still close.. I try to punish with my fastest attack or what I think is my fastest attack (crouch light) and it whiffs or it doesn't punish and they are able to block.. Blah :(
5) Attacking/Approaching.. I seem to be having issues approaching and using normals to get in and start combos onto people. Like for Doom I do a lot of jumping mediums but I can't seem to connect anything after 2 of those.

With Doom I can launch and super cancel into air finger lasers.. I can't do his dash cancels in the air though to continue combos after that. I can do combos with him in the corner for free though including relaunches!

i can't really speak on everything else, but

1. learn to wavedash. 2 attack buttons and use down to cancel your dash directly into another one...it completely eliminates any dash recovery period and allows you to get across the screen as fast as possible.(doom doesn't have a wavedash so just tri-dash across if you must)

2. definitely learn to pushblock so you're able to start some offense of your own...some characters can just overwhelm you if you don't.

3. forward+H...it'll come with time.

4. a lot of things are safe so you must pushblock them and hope they whiff something randomly that you can take advantage of...even if it's just for screen positioning or breathing room.

5. with doom, learn to dash cancel forward H and S footdives...i like to do forward H(blocked) dash cancel crossup M with doom...it helps open people up a bit but you can also do a quick tridash land and go for a low. never, ever, ever use the stick for your dashes...always use 2 attack buttons.

as for combos with doom...learn both loops after you're comfortable with the game and your movement options. if you can do relaunches in the corner then you can do a couple of loops and when you press H while they're on the ground ready for relaunch you can cancel it into his level 3(qcf atk atk) with the same timing you'd use to launch them to kill chars off. just keep it simple for now!

if you wanna play sometime, send me a message on xbl: vexco

i can help you with some doom stuffs maybe...i'm still pretty bad at the game tho ;p

SmokeMaxX

Posting this here because SRK appears to be semi-down and I'll forget in the morning- but Captain America + Magneto is so much fun. Stuck in the corner with Captain where he's supposed to not be able to do a lot of damage easily? Pssh!

Magic series, Air M, Air H, Air S, Hypergrav Assist, l. shield slash OTG, crouch and wait, launch right as the enemy goes over your head to side-switch, air magic series, dash otg light shield slash xx hyper charging star DHC magnetic shockwave all the way across the other side of the screen.

Lol not a ton of damage but so fun.

I am so fucking bad in this game..

When I get pressured I just sit there and block like crazy and always fuck up advance guarding so they end up hitting me and getting in. I also get raped by random people who just choose Akuma and fucking Tatsu nonstop :( No idea how to punish.. Likewise I get owned by Weskers and Dantes and Vergils that teleport all over and cross me up.

This game is so hard =[ I can't even get "9th _____ (Lord/Ranger)" rating.. ugh

There are a few things I'm having issues with

1) Movement.. My guys move so slow.. I try dashing and even use the (Attack + Attack) shortcut key but it feels like I am still moving slow or it only moves you so much and you have to wait a brief second or two before hitting it again to dash...
2) Blocking .. I am blocking and just buckling down and getting owned in corners. I can't tell if they are hitting me low and I keep trying to advance guard but sometimes it just causes me to get opened up..
3) Throws.. How the hell do you tech throws in this game? They move in within seconds and just throw you and you have no clue/idea they do that =[
4) Punishes.. I see guys whiff combos on me all the time and me not advance guarding so they are still close.. I try to punish with my fastest attack or what I think is my fastest attack (crouch light) and it whiffs or it doesn't punish and they are able to block.. Blah :(
5) Attacking/Approaching.. I seem to be having issues approaching and using normals to get in and start combos onto people. Like for Doom I do a lot of jumping mediums but I can't seem to connect anything after 2 of those.

Currently I am using Doom/Firebrand/Hawkeye..

I would say Doom and Firebrand are my best combo guys..

With Doom I can launch and super cancel into air finger lasers.. I can't do his dash cancels in the air though to continue combos after that. I can do combos with him in the corner for free though including relaunches!

With Firebrand I can launch and do his ground drag and actually launch back up and into super so my Firebrand is pretty ok with combos. I rely on his ground drag attack too much though. I saw a Firebrand who kept diving on me and doing some sort of crazy pressure string on me in the corner. That was pretty epic :p

Hawkeye is my savior. He is my anchor and I totally rely on Lvl 3 X factor for him to save the day. Ive taken out full teams just zoning people with Triple Arrow spam in Lvl 3 X-Factor and his Gimlet.. I know his launch combo up and back down and then into Poison arrow but that is about it. I have issues hitting it in the corner.. I seem to always miss.

Either way.. The game is fun. I did get my first Happy Birthday on some guy today while I had my Doom out. I was able to launch him and knock both into a corner then relaunch and cancel into Air Finger Lasers then X-Factor into Air Finger Lasers again. It was pretty epic :)
Change the order of your team. Firebrand needs to be on point, Doom should be your second slot assist character/meter builder for Hawkeye and Hawkeye should stay in third for XF shenanigans.

I don't know how you are dashing with Doom, but his tri dashes are actually pretty decent. Jump and diagonal air dash forward or back towards to the ground to move quickly. Firebrand's wavedash is also pretty freaking good from the playtime I've had with him.

For the rest...

-Block better and don't always pushblock.
-Don't try to beat Ammy/Wesker/Magneto and known top tiers with jabs up close because you WILL lose that fight if you don't know what you are doing.
-Connecting after j.M with Doom is as simple as pressing cr.M and continuing the combo from there.
-Firebrand qcb.attack launches you into the air back/straight up/forward. Learn how to use it because his fly cancels are scary fast and it makes him very hard to catch.
Because everyone is beneath him and it has to show. You die in about 3 foot dives you know he's top tier.
It only takes two to kill any character in the game.

Oh so thats how you wave dash?

I saw a sentinel that moved from one side to the other in like half a second and was up in my grill :(

I had no idea wtf he was doing but now it makes sense.

Axis

Oh so thats how you wave dash?

I saw a sentinel that moved from one side to the other in like half a second and was up in my grill :(

I had no idea wtf he was doing but now it makes sense.

yessir! definitely take some time to use training mode...a lot since you're just starting out lol

enzo_gt

tagged by Blackace
Do you guys think the issue with the throw tech windows was intentional or is a bug?

No Capcom game has functioned like this to my knowledge.

See funny vids:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RAP8MuTWclo
http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=HBgQJoOaJcA
I think it's intentional. I also think it's a non-issue outside of say if someone does an unsafe hyper with a counter DHC in reserve, and even still you should be aware of such. If your in range for throw punish, just do your magic series instead. Not very hard.

CPS2

That's a really weird video description "tech throw to make any move safe... from a throw" i think they meant to say you can tech throw during recovery.

so anybody have predictions for the first big tourney coming up next week? or even what teams people are using? i'll shoot:

-Phoenix Wright team makes top 5
-Rocket Raccoon, easily the most slept on of the new characters, moves into top tier
-Vergil and Wesker are in the majority of the games, but not as effective as once though
-Dark Phoenix still wins games with crouching A
-Clockw3rk wrecks people with doom/strider, but can't keep Strider safe enough to pull out clutch wins.

Grecco

so anybody have predictions for the first big tourney coming up next week? or even what teams people are using? i'll shoot:

-Rocket Raccoon, easily the most slept on of the new characters, moves into top tier
-Vergil and Wesker are in the majority of the games, but not as effective as once though
-Clockw3rk wrecks people with doom/strider, but can't keep Strider safe enough to pull out clutch wins.

I agree with 2 of these.

Ashkeloth

Oh wow, this game. I swear a Vergil player just sliced a Mighty Spark off my Thor's Mjolnir before he even launched it with a standing C. Strangest thing ever seeing Thor holding up his hammer with no lightning on it screaming "Mighty Spark!" only to put it away again.

Also, nerf Wesker.

GuardianE

Santa May Claus
Smurf's sogenomou(however the fuck it is spelled) Zero cut straight through Morrigan's astral soul fist from the front AND behind in one of our last matches before I had to return the game to my friend. At first I thought it would trade.

That fucker is ridiculous. -_-

Ew, that hasn't happened to me yet. Another reason to dislike Zero.

I am more interested to see the stuff PR Rog is going to bring with his spencer

What team is PR Rog using now?

Just as a heads up, the MahvelGAF figurine picture with the full cast of UMvC3 (sans Rocket Raccoon and Shuma-Gorath since they don't exist in that figurine collection) will most likely happen in February, since MODOK's gonna come out late January (and that also gives me time getting the other 5 characters I'm still missing for that haw). :>

What tourney? Who will be there?

GuardianE

Santa May Claus
i believe its wolverine, spencer, wesker.

If he dropped Dante that's upsetting to me. I knew he was sticking with Wolverine after he said that he's still "cheap as hell". Wasn't sure about the third.

I seem to recall a mention of Dante/Spencer/Wolverine, but can't tell if that's my mind botching what was said/posted elsewhere or not. I just hope he doesn't drop Dante, I love his hyper aggressive play style with him.

Agreed, though the loss of Tron assist really hurt his gameplan.

I seem to recall a mention of Dante/Spencer/Wolverine, but can't tell if that's my mind botching what was said/posted elsewhere or not. I just hope he doesn't drop Dante, I love his hyper aggressive play style with him.

He's almost certainly dropping Dante, he posted a ton of teams he is thinking about playing and none of then had Dante. The incredible space control PR Rog showed with Dante was killed in UMvC3 and I don't think he enjoys the new Dante very much.

After NEC we are going to see everyone use Felicia and Storm. You heard it first.

Also don't be surprise to see a famous player announcing his retirement from the fighting game community. Everything points to that happening.

Posting this here because SRK appears to be semi-down and I'll forget in the morning- but Captain America + Magneto is so much fun. Stuck in the corner with Captain where he's supposed to not be able to do a lot of damage easily? Pssh!

Magic series, Air M, Air H, Air S, Hypergrav Assist, l. shield slash OTG, crouch and wait, launch right as the enemy goes over your head to side-switch, air magic series, dash otg light shield slash xx hyper charging star DHC magnetic shockwave all the way across the other side of the screen.

Lol not a ton of damage but so fun.

You don't really need Magneto to have a fun combo. Cap's BNB is magic series, j.H, l.shield slash, land, j.H, m.shield slash, l. charging star, S, j.M, j.H, j.S, land, l.shield slash (OTG), into hyper charging star. Does about 750k-800k, I think? It's a fun combo.

Magneto could still help out why disruptor assist and doing cap's flip for left/right mixup.

GuardianE

Santa May Claus
He's almost certainly dropping Dante, he posted a ton of teams he is thinking about playing and none of then had Dante. The incredible space control PR Rog showed with Dante was killed in UMvC3 and I don't think he enjoys the new Dante very much.

Sucks, but I can't say I'm surprised. Yes, Dante is still strong in the game, but the newer characters and a LOT of the old cast now do more damage off easier hit confirms and gain more meter than Dante, all with less effort.

Sucks, but I can't say I'm surprised. Yes, Dante is still strong in the game, but the newer characters and a LOT of the old cast now does more damage off easier hit confirms and gains more meter than Dante, all with less effort.

I don't know why Dante changed so much. Aside from that hammer and DHC glitch, he was perfectly fine. Had to definitely need a LOT of time practicing combos to do well with him and well... it's not really worth it in umvc3. Not to say that he's bad now but he didn't need the nerf hammer as much.

Grecco

IIRC PR Rogs team was Spencer/Wolverine/ something i think wesker?

Hes been pretty clear in that he feels Spencer is the best character in the game, hes already released a video on Spencer.

TGMIII

To me it really feels like while more of the cast are at least somewhat viable right now there's just someone else who does what they do better, which is true for most fighting games but those better characters just seem THAT much better.

It's still early days but my interest is waning. Maybe NEC will showcase some interesting tech.

I don't know why Dante changed so much. Aside from that hammer and DHC glitch, he was perfectly fine. Had to definitely need a LOT of time practicing combos to do well with him and well... it's not really worth it in umvc3. Not to say that he's bad now but he didn't need the nerf hammer as much.

The explanation Viscant gave was that PR Rog was discovering a lot of new Dante technology that enabled him to control the entire screen and he was bodying people left and right during causals in Devastation and Season's Beatings. On the long run Dante would have been the best character in the game and someone that no other character could defeat.

The explanation Viscant gave was that PR Rog was discovering a lot of new Dante technology that enabled him to control the entire screen and he was bodying people left and right during causals in Devastation and Season's Beatings. On the long run Dante would have been the best character in the game and someone that no other character could defeat.

That makes sense. I always thought that Dante (and Viper) would've been the best character in the long run, BUT required a lot of time.

After NEC we are going to see everyone use Felicia and Storm. You heard it first.

Damn, I hope not. I just picked her up last week.

Grecco

The only reason as to why Ricky would "retire" is that EG has a qouta of players and hes retiring to let PR Rog get his spot. This is unlikely.

If its anybody its Marn

GuardianE

Santa May Claus
What 's so great about new Storm? Air X Factor Cancel Hailstorm being a practical death sentence?

It's been repeated to death, but the general airdash speed nerfs have indirectly made her air mobility comparatively better. I'm sure Fair/Foul Wind has more practical uses than we've seen. She seems the same, otherwise.

mr. puppy

Banned

where did he post these teams?

Oldschoolgamer

The physical form of blasphemy
What 's so great about new Storm? Air X Factor Cancel Hailstorm being a practical death sentence?

She can open people up like Magneto in Vanilla could. Instant Air overhead j.S and j.L come out obscenely fast. All of her fancy shit in vanilla is easier to do now, thanks to the nerf in air dashes. People float a little bit more, so you won't have to be as precise as you were before, inputting buttons.

Hailstorm , XF, Hailstorm really means death.

Hailstorm still comes out really fast off of a DHC, so dead assists on sight if she does it after someone like Maggy.

Dahbomb

I agree with maybe 2 of those. Wesker is going to be popular for sure, Clockwork will probably wreck a few people with that duo if he makes it there. Rocket Raccoon is slept on for sure but he isn't top tier yet and he will not become top tier at NEC.

The incredible space game of Dante is still the same... it's only going to take a couple of blow ups by PRBalrog for him to realize that Dante is still godlike in this game. That team he posted of Wolverine/Wesker/Spencer has no pressure assist or horizontal coverage assist meaning it's very likely to get exposed. Although PRBalrog is a talented player and he will come up with some cheap stuff for sure and will dominate all the way until top 8 maybe.

That's not what he said exactly. Viscant said that PRBalrog had set ups on in coming characters with Dante where the opponent had to guess up to 7 times and the odds were heavily against them that's why he was bodying people with perfects. That's why Combofiend had to pick Haggar against his team. That aspect of Dante is still unchanged.

Dante is still very much supplanted in the top 3 S tier class of the game.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom