• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Ultimate Marvel vs. Capcom 3 |OT| of 9 Years Urley

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sounds like I need to watch more Storm footage.

I was just kidding. I just started using it but its use is limited. Might be useful against chars like Nova though. Fought one yesterday, used it by accident, and my opponent had to be careful about mashing some moves (I'm looking at you, j.S).

Fersis

It is illegal to Tag Fish in Tag Fishing Sanctuaries by law 38.36 of the GAF Wildlife Act
He's almost certainly dropping Dante, he posted a ton of teams he is thinking about playing and none of then had Dante. The incredible space control PR Rog showed with Dante was killed in UMvC3 and I don't think he enjoys the new Dante very much.

After NEC we are going to see everyone use Felicia and Storm. You heard it first.

Also don't be surprise to see a famous player announcing his retirement from the fighting game community. Everything points to that happening.
IFC Yipes right?

I think he wants to become a tournament organizer. Which would be really good for the community.

Dahbomb

It's Sanford probably not Yipes.

Storm is super good because of air X factor and she is now one of the faster characters in the game (relatively speaking). Fair Winds etc is unexplored but her DHC is too good to sleep on. Her ability to instantly kill 2 characters is among one of the most powerful tools in the game. Just check out Fanatiq's matches at Cross Counter, it was basically his Storm that allowed him to win matches. Every time he heard buttons pressed he would DHC into characters dead.

Felicia is damn good for sure but so are a lot of characters. At NEC what matters is who the pros are using. I don't know about EVERYONE using Storm/Felicia, the chances are more people are going to use Wesker.

Dahbomb

Yipes isn't going anywhere for the time being. Dude has leveled up tremendously at UMVC3 within the past week or so. And he has been working hard at it, like playing non stop ever since the game came out.

GuardianE

Santa May Claus
That's not what he said exactly. Viscant said that PRBalrog had set ups on in coming characters with Dante where the opponent had to guess up to 7 times and the odds were heavily against them that's why he was bodying people with perfects. That's why Combofiend had to pick Haggar against his team. That aspect of Dante is still unchanged.

Dante is still very much supplanted in the top 3 S tier class of the game.

What setups did he have besides Jam Session xx DT? Did they rely on Tron assist?

Dahbomb

You can do it with an assist, like Akuma.

It's not just Jam Session he can do Acid Rain mix ups but PRBalrog did invent the Jam Session vortex. After the Jam Session lock he can do dash under cross up, teleport plus assist, fake the teleport, air dash cross up when the land or another teleport after the assist is done. If they press a button somewhere the is possibility of air throw as well.

Vergil's vortex makes Dante's look 1 dimensional in comparison. I wonder how long it will take people to get to that level... even with Dante it took many months.

Fersis

It is illegal to Tag Fish in Tag Fishing Sanctuaries by law 38.36 of the GAF Wildlife Act
Now lets think about this: Sp00ky quitting the FG... man that would be a total disaster.
I actually watch more FG streams than TV so yeah i would be in shambles.

Scary thought my friends.

storm was always good, its just that there were more reasons to play magneto. now thats not so much the case.

i used to play felicia, but don't anymore because her nerf outweights her buffs
i can't stand the new voice actor

GuardianE

Santa May Claus
You can do it with an assist, like Akuma.

It's not just Jam Session he can do Acid Rain mix ups but PRBalrog did invent the Jam Session vortex. After the Jam Session lock he can do dash under cross up, teleport plus assist, fake the teleport, air dash cross up when the land or another teleport after the assist is done. If they press a button somewhere the is possibility of air throw as well.

Vergil's vortex makes Dante's look 1 dimensional in comparison. I wonder how long it will take people to get to that level... even with Dante it took many months.

Ah, I thought you meant 7 mixups in a row, not necessarily 7 options for different mixups. I know that Jam Session xx DT leads to a huge guessing game in the corner, especially with a solid assist.

Don't even say Spooky, he is one of the reasons that brought me back into the fgc scene, I would be a very sad panda, on a positive note he said a pro player and spooky doesn't play professionally, I would guess Sanford like Dahbomb mentioned.

I hope it ain't spooky, heh.

But really, how do you retire from something other than a job really. Games are a hobby. So you just stop playing fighting games altogether? So you stop going to tournaments?

I remember when Ed Ma "retired". Some people still say he plays online.

IDK, I just think "retiring" from the FGC is overblown. You can still play fighting games and not go to tournies, and play 8 hours a day.

Except Spooky :)

Don't retire Spooky!

Fersis

It was just an hypotethical question.
Sp00ky will never retire Sp00ky will be never die.

LONG LIVE SPOOKS!

if you don't mind using a ground bounce, use the H attack after pressing S? so LMHSHxxStinger? not sure if that works

Not sure if you can fit a Stinger in there, but LMHS and LMHSHS work.

I'm gonna try putting Vergil on point for a bit with Wesker backing him up. It's pretty damn easy to do:

LMH Stinger S ^ MMH HelmBreaker, Wesker assist, HSHS ^ MMH HelmBreaker, teleport, High Time, super

and that's not even getting into any of Vergil's fancy stuff.

--- Edit: Actually I'm not even really using L, because I'm trying to play him Zero style where L is my Round Trip button. I'll see how well that works.

Neki

Not sure if you can fit a Stinger in there, but LMHS and LMHSHS work.

I'm gonna try putting Vergil on point for a bit with Wesker backing him up. It's pretty damn easy to do:

LMH Stinger S ^ MMH HelmBreaker, Wesker assist, HSHS ^ MMH HelmBreaker, teleport, High Time, super

and that's not even getting into any of Vergil's fancy stuff.

--- Edit: Actually I'm not even really using L, because I'm trying to play him Zero style where L is my Round Trip button. I'll see how well that works.

well if you use the stinger after doing HSH, you'll get a wall bounce because the guy will still be in a ground bounce state, so just follow up with a Trick L and you can magic series xx Helm Breaker.

No one ever retires.

fighting games are like a drug. you always come crawling back.

n45us.jpg

Trey

Oh, I don't set up, because I don't play Vergil. I was just messing around and found that really easy combo out.

How much damage does that get? That's pretty much an ABC combo but with a ground bounce and relaunch I figure it has to be in the 350-400k range at least.

I don't get to play Marvel often, and when I'm do I'm usually drilling my Dante and Amaterasu execution, but I plan on playing Vergil as well. With two bars you could sneak a swords super and a DT in there. The meter gain from the combo will pay for the cost of the ending super.

GuardianE

Santa May Claus
How much damage does that get? That's pretty much an ABC combo but with a ground bounce and relaunch I figure it has to be in the 350-400k range at least.

I don't get to play Marvel often, and when I'm do I'm usually drilling my Dante and Amaterasu execution, but I plan on playing Vergil as well. With two bars you could sneak a swords super and a DT in there. The meter gain from the combo will pay for the cost of the ending super.

Add a Stinger and teleport, and that combo is essentially Vergil's easy Day 1 bnb. It does around 600,000 (?), I think, but varies depending on the hits that Dimensional Slash does. The nice thing about the Stinger xx teleport is that it will corner your opponent to setup things afterwards.

There are already really elaborate ways to set up Summon Swords and DT in there. If you have an OTG assist, it's even easier to add them.

bs000

Add a Stinger and teleport, and that combo is essentially Vergil's easy Day 1 bnb. It does around 500,000, I think, but varies depending on the hits that Dimensional Slash does. The nice thing about the Stinger xx teleport is that it will corner your opponent to setup things afterwards.

There are already really elaborate ways to set up Summon Swords and DT in there. If you have an OTG assist, it's even easier to add them.

Adding the stinger teleport can take them from corner to corner. Even with hit stun deterioration you can still use an otg assist and do a summon swords combo at the end. Add dimension slash and you get over 800k for 2 meters.

Dahbomb

Ah, I thought you meant 7 mixups in a row, not necessarily 7 options for different mixups. I know that Jam Session xx DT leads to a huge guessing game in the corner, especially with a solid assist.
No I actually think is IS 7 mix ups in a row. Also bear in mind that Viscant was talking about Dante technology that hasn't even been seen yet. This however IS stuff that we have seen.

Mix up#1: Jam Session on entry. Jam Session can cross up in certain positions. They cannot press a button obviously and they still have to guess which side the Jam Session ends up hitting.

Mix up#2: Upon Devil Triggering, the opponent is still in block stun. They have to guess if Dante is going to just press buttons or go for a "Ryan Hunter" or just do a simple dash under other side. Again... they can't press buttons here because they are at heavy frame disadvantage due to Jam Session.

Mix up#3: Dante hits them with st.L which sets up fuzzy guard situation. At this point Dante can call an assist. They have to guess a teleport cross up or a fake cross up.

Mix up#4: Once Dante is in the air after a teleport and they are grounded, they have to guess high/low. If Dante is coming in with something like a Felicia assist, it's an unblockable set up that I have seen way too many times already. Due to the nature of the teleport and the unblockable set up... it's a simultaneous high/low + left/right mix ups which Viscant sort of touched upon when he was talking about this.

Mix up#5: If they block all that and they block the assist, Dante can still do a box dash. This is a right/left guess because the air dash M crosses up at certain distances. Dante goes for this right after the assist stops hitting.

Mix up#6: Now that the opponent is free from the assist, they can choose to advance guard the next button or try to escape the pressure. This leads into a guessing situation where if they try to advance guard and they are baited for it... they eat a combo. If they try to up/back plus a button, there is risk of being air thrown. Dante is still on their ass at their point.

Mix up#7: This almost never happens but there has been cases where PRBalrog has burnt X factor or another meter to force another mix up. Really though it is very rare that someone goes this far into the mix up if he doesn't messes it up. Even if they advance guard, Dante can burn another meter for some gimmick Million Carat cross up.

Dahbomb, what's a good Vergil hit-confirm off an anti-air hit? I keep doing LMH Stinger out of habit, but the Stinger drops when they're airborne.
The easiest hit confirm for anti-air is simply LMHSHS. Stinger does connect if they are within it's vertical hit box range which is shorter than Dante's. Lunar Phase works anti-air too if you want to go for it. If you are holding down Round Trip you can get much more mileage after LMHSH anti-air.

Optimized combo for Vergil does 750K for 1 bar, 950K for 2 bars and well over a million for 3 bars. As of week 1 of course will probably get higher once people learn better Spiral sword combos or loops.

On his youtube channel pr rog said hes using dante/spencer/wesker.
I expected this team from PRBalrog. Now there is actually a good assist on deck for that team to use in the neutral game.

Ermac

Proudly debt free. If you need a couple bucks, just ask.
Is this game semi noob friendly?

I love fighters, put 200 hours into (S)SFIV and was pretty good but I don't have as much gaming time as I used to. If I play a decent amount, will I not get pwned online all the time?

Is this game semi noob friendly?

I love fighters, put 200 hours into (S)SFIV and was pretty good but I don't have as much gaming time as I used to. If I play a decent amount, will I not get pwned online all the time?

It's a different game that doesn't necessarily mean that if you're good at SF4, you'll be good at MvC3 (see: Gootecks). You WILL need to put in some time, but you should still do well even with easy combos, as long as your basics and mentality is good.

Dahbomb

They still have to block/guess at that range because they aren't in a position to do anything else. And like I said I am sure Dante can do a lot more at that spot plus stuff that we haven't even seen yet.

600K-ish.

NEC predictions
-Metroid will pull out THor and actually body people with him
-Yipes/Combo wreck people with Nova
-Jwong scares the crap out of people with Fist
-Champ goes all Dark Phoenix

Dahbomb

Flash plays Thor? This I HAVE to see! He does have a MODOK team though.

If JWong does play IF at NEC over his Felicia team he will definitely body some people and will give some character some respect.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom