• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Ultimate Marvel vs. Capcom 3 |OT| of 9 Years Urley

Status
Not open for further replies.
Yeah, Flash did an Thor tutorial when the game came out.

He hasn't said who he will play. He is looking at Fist, Rocket out of the new chars.

But he is keeping it secret who he will play.

enzo_gt

tagged by Blackace
NEC Predictions:
- Weskerfest
- Yipes and Combo grand finals, I have nothing to base Viscant's placement off of, but off of his top-of-the-class intellectual strats alone, probably high. Potentially grand finals.
- Grown men more prevalent than most percieved, Ultimoo suffers heart attack
- (even) More Vipers
- No Vergil in top 4.
- Mike Loss has surprisingly decent performance, then tapers it off suddenly. If he's playing, of course.

Did Flash say he's going to NEC?

Trey

Someone mentioned wavedashing earlier in this thread...

In Vanilla, it was faster to cancel your dash with another dash. I wasn't able to do it in my short time playing Ultimate, so I assumed my execution just sucks instead of them taking that out. Is it still in, so that my gaming integrity will be preserved but some small depth of the game is lost?

Dahbomb

Vergil has a chance in top 4 if Flocker is using his Zero/Vergil team.

Also Yipes plays Vergil too on point and he won CC Open with it. I don't expect him to play Vergil at NEC but he might pull it out as a surprise or something.

Yipes and Combofiend are hella strong going into the tournament. They have been going at the game like crazy. I also like ChrisG, Justin Wong, MarlinPie and MastaCJ for the tournament.

Do we actually have a player list for NEC?

Wave dashing and plink dashing are still in. Some characters who didn't have it before now have it like Ryu and Chris. You probably need to check it with particular characters.

A Pretty Panda

fuckin' called it, man
Plink dashing is the one where you Cancel H with L+M right? Never was sure of the name of it.

Edit: Also on someone retiring I'll say Gootecks if retiring means not playing in tournaments anymore.

Also on Thor

http://youtu.be/xe8EqkrWNg8?t=5m14s

^This reset is currently my favorite thing to do now.

Moral of the story: Do not get hit.

That's one scary reset.

Clockwork is going (and seing as how he plays Dr Doom, an S tier character hes at least gonna get a top 8)

I'm probably the only one who doesn't know and I know Doom got a LOT of buffs, but doesn't he still have problems opening up people? As in, weak mixups? I'm thinking about adding Doom or Spencer to my team, but that's the only problem about Doom that I see (same prob as Captain America).

Ermac

Proudly debt free. If you need a couple bucks, just ask.
It's a different game that doesn't necessarily mean that if you're good at SF4, you'll be good at MvC3 (see: Gootecks). You WILL need to put in some time, but you should still do well even with easy combos, as long as your basics and mentality is good.

Hm thanks. I forgot to mention I put a crap ton of time in MvC2 for the dreamcast back in the day too. I really want to order it but don't want to constantly get beaten onrine and angry at myself.

Ahh forget it I'll do it.

Dahbomb

Thor's vertical range on his air command grab is so buffed now, I was hitting that all day yesterday with the buddies. That new reset is STOLEN... by me!

Also his Mighty Punish is hella buffed too... better that some LVL3 grab hypers. It would be criminal if this character gets under played now but I say that for a lot of characters.

Xevren

I would love to see some good Thor action at NEC, I started trying him out this week and he feels so much better now. His damage is scary as hell, and he's not slow as shit like he used to be.

I would love to see some good Thor action at NEC, I started trying him out this week and he feels so much better now. His damage is scary as hell, and he's not slow as shit like he used to be.

I tried him out a bit, but i just can't seem to get anything going with him.

Dahbomb

Who is Yipes using post his Vergil/Dante/Nova team?
Various teams comprising of Wesker, Magneto, Nova, Dante and Vergil.

Saw some of Ryan Hunter's Dr Strange play and definitely some solid stuff on display. He appears to have the Impact Palm loops down along with various set ups. Plus he has Hawkeye on his team mean 1 frame hyper punishes all day. Dorm on anchor in case shits go awry.

Dahbomb

I think he is most likely going to use Wesker/Magneto/Nova with probably a dash of Dante or Vergil thrown in. He's really solid with all 5 characters though.

CPS2

Plink dashing is the one where you Cancel H with L+M right? Never was sure of the name of it.

Edit: Also on someone retiring I'll say Gootecks if retiring means not playing in tournaments anymore.

There's no such thing as pink dashing. Plinking is a SF4-only thing, its not in any other game. You can cancel a dash into a normal and then kara-cancel the normal into a dash in mvc3, it should be called a kara wave dash or something like that.

edit: gg autocorrect, pink = plink

Fersis

It is illegal to Tag Fish in Tag Fishing Sanctuaries by law 38.36 of the GAF Wildlife Act
What's this nonsense about Spooky retiring?!

Conjecture.. right?

RIGHT??!

GOT DAMMIT PEOPLE!
I was just joking about a crazy hyphotetical posibility.

SPOOKY WILL NOT RETIRE! SPOOKY WILL NEVER DIE!

Yeah it's kara dash cancelling, the plink dashing name was coined incorrectly by JChen and it sort of stuck.

Oh and some solid Strange, Hulk, MODOK and Super Skrull play on Mix Up Mondays Option Select archive.
i'd consider it more of a plink. dashing input is 2 attack buttons simultaneously. if it was h, l+m it'd be like a kara, but plink dashing is h, m, l. also, i think clakey d was the one who came up with it.

on the subject of wave dashing, i think forward+dash, downforward, forward+dash > dash, down, dash. for the fact that you can dash cancel into a throw, whereas if you used down its easier to get an accidental hadouken. whenever i see someone do walk-up throw in mvc3 it baffles me, when they can do a wave dash cancel throw.

LakeEarth

I'm probably the only one who doesn't know and I know Doom got a LOT of buffs, but doesn't he still have problems opening up people? As in, weak mixups? I'm thinking about adding Doom or Spencer to my team, but that's the only problem about Doom that I see (same prob as Captain America).
He's way better, but I disagree with this "S-tier" ranking people give him. He's not as mobile as some characters, has a sucky chip game, and is a bit stubby in the normals department.

I'm sure Clockwork will make him look S-tier this weekend though.

Glix

I LOVE Thor so so so much.

The super armor they added to some of the moves, and the ultra throw are so awesome. I love his tri jump and mighty spark. I just love him so much. He dishes out a TON, even if its just a scrub (me) triangle jump L -> crouch L -> Launch -> M -> M -> Might Hurricane does massive damage.

Dahbomb

He always had that armor hit on Mighty Strike when charged up and they gave him start up invincibility on Mighty Punish not armor.

He's way better, but I disagree with this "S-tier" ranking people give him. He's not as mobile as some characters, has a sucky chip game, and is a bit stubby in the normals department.

I'm sure Clockwork will make him look S-tier this weekend though.
tell that to dios x, which was a big part of his game back in vanilla.

enzo_gt

tagged by Blackace
pushblock. that's pretty much thor's weakness. he can't really do anything about someone who can pushblock (unless of course if paired up with the right assist). he's just way too slow, although the shortened charge buffs help. as well as the increased range on his throw.
My two biggest problems in this game are pushblocking effectively and freaking out in the face of relentless offense. If I get cornered, it's often over for me if the opponent doesn't want space themselves. My game under pressure is weak.

A Pretty Panda

fuckin' called it, man
Gamma Charge cross up on incoming character you are now mine.

My two biggest problems in this game are pushblocking effectively and freaking out in the face of relentless offense.

Don't you play Iron Fist?

I played a good Iron Fist and he was so scary. Could get in though most of the time I was trying to fly away with Thor. I'm sure it was a challenge for him, but I think I felt more afraid than he was of getting zoned out.

CPS2

i'd consider it more of a plink. dashing input is 2 attack buttons simultaneously. if it was h, l+m it'd be like a kara, but plink dashing is h, m, l. also, i think clakey d was the one who came up with it.

on the subject of wave dashing, i think forward+dash, downforward, forward+dash > dash, down, dash. for the fact that you can dash cancel into a throw, whereas if you used down its easier to get an accidental hadouken. whenever i see someone do walk-up throw in mvc3 it baffles me, when they can do a wave dash cancel throw.

Plinking isn't pushing buttons quickly. Its a SF4-only thing. We don't call roll cancels "plink specials" or kara-throws "plink throws." Also you don't need to press forward to wave dash, you shouldn't be getting accidental qcf moves.

SmokeMaxX

You don't really need Magneto to have a fun combo. Cap's BNB is magic series, j.H, l.shield slash, land, j.H, m.shield slash, l. charging star, S, j.M, j.H, j.S, land, l.shield slash (OTG), into hyper charging star. Does about 750k-800k, I think? It's a fun combo.

Magneto could still help out why disruptor assist and doing cap's flip for left/right mixup.

It's fun because you're in the corner and then you relaunch them out of the corner onto the other side of the screen.

My B&B right now (made it up the first hour of playing Ultimate and stuck with it since) is ground magic series, j. h xx light shield slash, land, j. h, j. s, OTG l. shield slash, dash, launch, j. m, j. h, j. s, land, dash, OTG l. shield slash xx hyper charging star. Only does a little over 700k, but is hella easy and carries like 80% of the screen.

LakeEarth

tell that to dios x, which was a big part of his game back in vanilla.
Well that's more a hidden missile assist for lockdown, with Sentinel doing the real chip damage. None of Doom's hypers does much chip (at a non-punishable distance), nor does normal finger lasers, he can't chip you air-to-air because everything that chips goes straight down. Plasma beam does a good amount, but it is avoidable on reaction.

EDIT - I admit I've never analyzed Dios X game beyond entertainment

Plinking isn't pushing buttons quickly. Its a SF4-only thing. We don't call roll cancels "plink specials" or kara-throws "plink throws." Also you don't need to press forward to wave dash, you shouldn't be getting accidental qcf moves.
you don't need to, but going from toward to downforward is a lot easier than neutral to downforward. i'm saying you'll get accidental qcf if you wave dash cancel into throw if you use down to wavedash. wave dashing using down is the easiest way to wave dash, but its less versatile because you can't wave dash cancel throw as easy, and you can't wave dash backwards with it.

it may not be exactly like sf4 plinking, but its similar. the game registers h,m, and m,l as dashes, even when the technically correct inputs should be m+h or l+h. a kara throw would be an attack cancelled into a throw. in the example of h, m, the heavy attack is not cancelled into the medium attack, it turns into a brand new move of a dash. using (back/forward +) h, m is also somewhat of an option select because if you're in close range, you'll get a throw instead of a dash. so, i'm not sure if calling h, m a kara is the best thing.

enzo_gt

tagged by Blackace
Don't you play Iron Fist?

I played a good Iron Fist and he was so scary. Could get in though most of the time I was trying to fly away with Thor. I'm sure it was a challenge for him, but I think I felt more afraid than he was of getting zoned out.
Yeah. My offensive game isn't that great though. With Iron Fist you pretty much have to be going in all the time or else your doing it wrong. If IF gets cornered or begins playing defensive, he gets opened up. Also, pushing buttons doesn't help.

why are you pressing down+forward to wavedash? is that just for setting up throws?
you can use it to wave dash into throw, and you can use downback to wave dash backwards. also, it keeps the inputs more similar with characters that wave dash in the air, which is generally downforward/upforward.

also, like i said earlier, if you hold towards while using h,m to dash, you can get an optionselect throw.

Dahbomb

WHAT THE FUCK?

Vergil can combo off of Rapid Slash SOLO no meter usage in XF.

That is some fucking bull shit! And that shit is SO STOLEN BY ME!

Dahbomb

Considering that Rapid Slash is a cross up move that is fairly difficult to block in certain portions of the screen, becomes much faster on start up in LVL3XF and DT plus becomes much harder to punish... if you are able to combo off of a move like that raw then that is pretty godlike.

Also it's exciting because this is like the first Vergil X factor gimmick to be found.

Considering that Rapid Slash is a cross up move that is fairly difficult to block in certain portions of the screen, becomes much faster on start up in LVL3XF and DT plus becomes much harder to punish... if you are able to combo off of a move like that raw then that is pretty godlike.

Also it's exciting because this is like the first Vergil X factor gimmick to be found.

I have also learned to never x-factor while blocking ultimate wesker and/or ultimate vergil.

Okay, I attempted to order a replacement copy this morning after the last fiasco. Hopefully, I should have a copy on PS3 soon and be "Captain FREE" on the stream in the near future. What else am I going to do with my winter vacation? ;)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom