• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Ultimate Marvel vs. Capcom 3 |OT| of 9 Years Urley

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dahbomb

Wesker is going to get nerfed by the time the next balance patch rolls around. This is not because of tournament dominance or whatever but because Wesker is a problem online as well. It's why Sentinel is constantly nerfed because the dude just rapes online. The majority of changes to UMVC3 were based around casual/online play and no one is dominating that scene like Wesker. It's why characters like Viper will pretty much stay the same or even better because they aren't a problem to the online experience.

And Wesker can combo after Phantom Dance too if the screen positioning and number of hits allows. It's just way more difficult than Vergil's. If you watch Max's Wesker tutorial you will see it in it.

Wolverine's combos are easier than Wesker's because Wesker's combos usually require a link in them. Wolverine combo never requires you to press more than once button at once aside from when you need to do the hyper.

Dahbomb

Some dude named Steve and he was hilarious. SWORDS OF REVEALING LIGHT! BAT SIGNAL SEARCH LIGHT!

Also DAT Richard Nguyen Vergil stylin' and Nova synergy.

Axis

are there any dante tutorials applicable to umvc3 yet? i'm really committed to learning him because he's really fun and i feel he compliments viper very well. i have some of the more basic things down but would like to see a tutorial on how to possibly approach people and what i should be doing once i'm in. i can't do his advanced combos perfectly yet but that'll come with time. thanks in advance!

Grecco

Ultimate isn't an entirely new game, the gameplay mechanics are already known.

That "May" be true. But its still early, things like air xfactor, and the new characters havent been explored fully. I think waiting at least till the seccond major before freaking out is warranted. It wasnt till the third Major in Vanilla before we saw the Dawn of the Wolverine era.

Dahbomb

i just finished the finals too....apparently Richard told Yipes to put Nova on anchor, etc.
Really? I thought it was the other way around because when Yipes was at UCL he fought against Richard and he was already using his Vergil/Dante/Nova team. Maybe who knows but Yipes did already win with that team at CC Open.

Also Richard may have the stylish combos and synergy down but his neutral game still sucks with Vergil. Upa had a better neutral game but not as great combos.

There is a Dante UMVC3 guide somewhere on SRK. Probably in the Dante sub forum.

Axis

i checked but didn't see anything except a combo tutorial on how you should shorten them and what to do against small chars so they don't drop out. :(

Dahbomb

LOL I was hyping up Nova as anchor ever since his reveal. About the only time where you can actually use his red health gimmick. Also dat air throw game. I supplanted him as anchor on my team when I start running into so many Hawkeyes.

Richard also ATTEMPTED the Stinger reset with Vergil. It's a fairly dirty mix ups he does when he does a second Stinger in a combo. They tech off of the wall but they have to guess the 50/50 on the teleport in.

Really? I thought it was the other way around because when Yipes was at UCL he fought against Richard and he was already using his Vergil/Dante/Nova team. Maybe who knows but Yipes did already win with that team at CC Open.

Also Richard may have the stylish combos and synergy down but his neutral game still sucks with Vergil. Upa had a better neutral game but not as great combos.

James Chen interviewed him at the end of the cast (http://www.twitch.tv/leveluplive/b/301400470)

He basically said he chose the vergil/dante thing months ago and he wanted Nova because the guys name is Richard Rider and his name is Richard Nguyen. He did say Yipes was better than him though.

Dahbomb

Oh WOW the team that he actually wanted to play before the game even came out ended up being insanely good synergy wise. Good shit.

V_Arnold

Any link to that new Level up stuff archives? Thanks :D

Also, Dahbomb, I switched my team around as I really did not feel comfortable with Nova at all. I need a lot of time to learn his moves, so now I am going for two teams:

One: Vergil/Strange/Hawkeye (this is the "safety" build), but I do not feel like Hawkeye is too interesting as a 3rd char even if he IS strong and can easily take out 2-3 chars with XF3 if I make a good mixup when they come in.

But my new "project" is this: Vergil/Strange/Strider. All 3 teleporters, I know, but it feels good to have a mobility-based team. My only problem is that Hawkeye's assist allowed my Vergil to safely teleport behind or front of my opp once the missiles were shooting, and Vajra does not really replicate that feeling at all.

Also, it felt good discovering stuff on my own. See: any Vergil combo that ends in the air with an S or a d+H -> Strange's Eye of Agamotto Assist call (which is NOT an OTG) -> Vergil's very own and unique DF+H (which allows the now airborne opponent to get caught by the Eye of Agamotto) -> continue combo.

Feels good. And I could even do that a few times in real matches, hell yeah :D

Dahbomb

Eye Agomotto works for combo extensions but I personally would use Bolts of Balthak for the horizontal coverage and safety of mix ups. You can use Vajra to combo off of Helm Breaker by going into Spiral Swords and calling Vajra right before Hightime. You can get nice profit off of this but you need to work on your Spiral sword combos.

Archive is linked above. You can see that Richard used Weasel Shot to combo after Helm Breaker -> Spiral Swords -> Hightime. It leads in to good damage because you build a meter for another hyper after it. Good stuff.

yeah I went through the archives to see if there was any decent Strider anchor play and didn't see much of anything, hopefully NEC will take care of that.

edit: nm, somehow i missed Clockwerk's matches o_0. He didn't play that great though.

Dahbomb

LMAO watching that interview with Fanatiq I just realized that he lost to the same team in 4 different sets in 2 different tournaments at grand finals (he was finalist at CC Open against Yipes and now WNF and Dickwin). He is so salty to losing against Vergil/Nova and said that he's going to go into the lab and prepare anti-Vergil/Nova tech for a week going into SCR.

Vergil smoked Magneto and Sentinel because everytime Magneto tri-jumped in he would eat Vergil's godly anti-air. Whenever Fanatiq called Sentinel, Vergil was already behind them for the happy birthday. Good to see these players use X factor LVL1 to take care of the problems.

I really, really, REALLY hope that Capcom patches Wesker, and at the very least takes away his glasses-buff.

The last few tournaments, Wesker was dominantly played more than any other character, far more than any other character in vanilla, people are actually more or less forced to snap Wesker in so he isn't anchor. He's pretty much exactly like Phoenix in vanilla, just without needing 5 meters, but only 1.
Wesker has become Yun.
Wesker glasses off is stupid. Random mix-up maximum wesker hyper is stupid. dark wesker XF4 is stupid.

IDK why Capcom does these things.

:)
They do eet for the lulz.
Wesker is going to get nerfed by the time the next balance patch rolls around. This is not because of tournament dominance or whatever but because Wesker is a problem online as well. It's why Sentinel is constantly nerfed because the dude just rapes online. The majority of changes to UMVC3 were based around casual/online play and no one is dominating that scene like Wesker. It's why characters like Viper will pretty much stay the same or even better because they aren't a problem to the online experience.

And Wesker can combo after Phantom Dance too if the screen positioning and number of hits allows. It's just way more difficult than Vergil's. If you watch Max's Wesker tutorial you will see it in it.

Wolverine's combos are easier than Wesker's because Wesker's combos usually require a link in them. Wolverine combo never requires you to press more than once button at once aside from when you need to do the hyper.
Don't be silly. Wesker totally needed those tools or he would've been replaced by other top tiers.

GuardianE

Santa May Claus
^Will keep that in mind.What are the possible followups after DF+H besides following into super?

There are none unless you X-Factor or something. Depending on your spacing, you should probably just opt to do standing normals instead, Vergil's normals all have ludicrous vertical hitboxes.

And unlike Dante, the normals seem to suck you in or something. They chain very easily from all distances.

GuardianE

Santa May Claus
What would you guys want to do to nerf Wesker? The removal of the glasses buff, but what else?

The only changes I would make are tweaking the glasses buff, and making the Maximum Wesker cross up randomly less often (it does it way too often right now). I'd actually give him back the invincibility on his Rhino Charge in exchange.

Toning down Wesker may sound like a good idea but come on this is Capcom, they either over nerf or over buff a character, they do not know how to get it just right.

Bizazedo

The only changes I would make are tweaking the glasses buff, and making the Maximum Wesker cross up randomly less often (it does it way too often right now). I'd actually give him back the invincibility on his Rhino Charge in exchange.

That'd be a net buff. He'd be even stronger.

Grecco said:
He doesnt need more nerfs.

I agree with ya. I think he's kind of predictable and his teleports can be punished / predicted and heavy #'s of projectiles in the air can be an issue for him, but he's still a monster online.

LakeEarth

The random cross-up thing is a bug in MvC3. I remember Seth talking about it in an interview a few months back, Wesker is moving so fast that the game can't keep up. The fact that it's still in UMvC3 tells me it isn't an easy fix.

Toning down Wesker may sound like a good idea but come on this is Capcom, they either over nerf or over buff a character, they do not know how to get it just right.

part of the fun of the marvel vs. capcom series is that the game is so ridiculous that the balance actually comes through all of the unbalanced shit sortof cancelling itself out.

all we have right now with Wesker is that 1: he isn't all that different from vanilla and people have been playing him for 6 months and 2: its a brand new game.

there's no phoenix, or invincible assists, or wolverine x-factor lvl 1. all kinds of new stuff is going to come around in the next few months, and wesker is just one of the first b/c people have been playing him for a long time and he's relatively simple.

just look at what was happening near the end of october, where Viscant was telling people how Wolverine was getting figured out and the game was really shifting away from what went down at EVO. another one of the great things about marvel is how much the meta game shifts. This game is incredibly complicated, and probably the most complex fighting game ever made when you put in the variables of 3 characters with 3 assists. the amount of options the player has to choose from before the match even starts is absolutely ridiculous.

Trey

The random cross-up thing is a bug in MvC3. I remember Seth talking about it in an interview a few months back, Wesker is moving so fast that the game can't keep up. The fact that it's still in UMvC3 tells me it isn't an easy fix.

Or they figured they would keep it in, because fuck it, Wesker.

There are none unless you X-Factor or something. Depending on your spacing, you should probably just opt to do standing normals instead, Vergil's normals all have ludicrous vertical hitboxes.

And unlike Dante, the normals seem to suck you in or something. They chain very easily from all distances.

There are no hit confirm follow ups, but there's always resets. Gotta start thinking with porta--er, I mean resets.

People who wait for tournament results are the lolz to me. Shit is useless and it tells me two things. They are either in the know and can't back up their claims that people are being hasty(by providing a strong counter past "wait and see!") or they are just clueless and can't think for themselves.

No offense to folks who like to wait for results, but I don't like waiting around for pros to tell me when something is obviously fucked.
More like Fei Long or Viper, didn't get nerfed enough through game transition(s). (Fei wasn't brainless though, he just hit like a motherfucker.)
That was a joke.
What would you guys want to do to nerf Wesker? The removal of the glasses buff, but what else?
Just the removal of the glasses buff. I'm not terribly happy with his current amount of health, but I can live with it. He was supposedly toned down a bit from his old values which is why they gave him that dumbass buff and if that is the case then he doesn't need any changes past glasses.
just look at what was happening near the end of october, where Viscant was telling people how Wolverine was getting figured out and the game was really shifting away from what went down at EVO. another one of the great things about marvel is how much the meta game shifts. This game is incredibly complicated, and probably the most complex fighting game ever made when you put in the variables of 3 characters with 3 assists. the amount of options the player has to choose from before the match even starts is absolutely ridiculous.
People didn't stop playing Wolvering because he got figured out. They stopped playing Wolverine because they started training for new characters that were appearing stronger than before in Ultimate.

Big difference

Grecco

I agree with ya. I think he's kind of predictable and his teleports can be punished / predicted and heavy #'s of projectiles in the air can be an issue for him, but he's still a monster online.

They already nerfed his life, gunshot and rhino charge.

The Glasses buff is kinda ridiculous but even still id only remove the fact that you can take them off yourself and keep the bonus if they get broken off.

They already nerfed his life, gunshot and rhino charge.

The Glasses buff is kinda ridiculous but even still id only remove the fact that you can take them off yourself and keep the bonus if they get broken off.
Nothing but fixes like Tasky's Vanilla legion arrow fix, Spidey's unscaled throw damage fix, Wolverine's berserker barrage fix, Dante's hammer fix, Phoenix retardation, She Hulk TAC glitch fix, Ammy' TAC glitch fix(LOL) Magneto estaka fix, etc.

There is a difference between a nerf and a fix. Wesker never should have shipped with 1.1 million health and the ability to combo from the other side of stage using some of the safest normals/specials in the game. Some stuff is a nerf because the original was a little overboard. This game was FULL of shit that was more than just overboard which requires a "fix" term.

This only applies to Mahvel in my eyes.

GuardianE

Santa May Claus

Oh, I know it's a bug, and I'm sure it's worse in Ultimate because whenever Wesker performs the Maximum Wesker, he removes his glasses for a 10% speed boost. Tweaking the glasses buff would at least help a little.

That depends on how they tweak the glasses. I'd actaully drop his health more too.. but only if they do some serious tweaking to Taskmaster as well.

Oh, I know it's a bug, and I'm sure it's worse in Ultimate because whenever Wesker performs the Maximum Wesker, he removes his glasses for a 10% speed boost. Tweaking the glasses buff would at least help a little.

And this is one of the things that makes me go "what?" I mean, if it's a bug, how come this wasn't fixed in Ultimate? It's a hidden feature masked as a bug. Capcom is trolling us all.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom