• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Ultimate Marvel vs. Capcom 3 |OT| of 9 Years Urley

Status
Not open for further replies.

zlatko

Banned
94a919d5.png
675be6f4.png
84c17f60.png

Awesome. I went with the middle one.

Thanks Ken. :)

Also, thanks Lothars too. ;)

Sentinel's nerfs were justified, imo. Something needed to be done when not having a certain character on your team was a huge disadvantage. The game would have been a 2v2 game essentially. Perhaps the thing getting nerfed is debatable, but he would have completely ruined the game in many regards without some adjustment

Agree the glasses buff was stupid and absolutely unnecessary. No one would be clamoring for something like it if it was never implemented.

Sentinel was never that good. Before nerf or after nerf.

The problem with Sentinel is that you have to approach him differently. You can't just dash up to him and go into the "my crouching A landed before your crouching A hahaha - proceed with training mode derp herp combo."

You had to get in on Sentinel in a different way. Approach him differently. Let him attack before you attack, let the Sentinel player make a mistake and then punish. He has a different strategy that isn't the kind of strategy you apply on 80% of the other cast. Use the fact that Sentinel had a massive hitbox and nearly everyone could instant over-head his ass etc.

People just refused to mentally and intelligently change their gameplan against Sentinel. Instead, they used their efforts to bitch and moan and complain.

Look, could Sentinel feel bullshit at times...sure. But really, he was a legit top tier character that didn't really need any nerfs. Certainly not a health decrease.

We have gotten too complacent with patches today.

We are now in a state of mind in which instead of learning how to FIGHT AGAINST the Weskers, the Dooms and the Spencer's, we've now resorted to clamoring for patches to nerf him, nerf her, and nerf it. The whole enjoyment of going into the lab and trying to figure out how to stop Wesker players is all the competitive fun. Remember the biggest problem with a popular/good character is that nearly everyone has anti-tech against said character. Everyone's got the mad crazy hours of experience against Wesker. For instance, I hardly fight Felicia's, any average Felicia player could probably cause me a lot of problems. This is an intangible 'nerf' that applies to Wesker, his strengths and popularity will invariably cause him to drop down tiers as the game settles in.

There is no Vanilla SF4 Sagat in this game, there is no Vanilla Marvel Dark Phoenix in this game.

Wesker is top tier, probably the best character in the game, but he isn't such an outlier where you have to nerf the shit out of him.

I hope Capcom doesn't patch this game every other day - it takes away the consistent nature of the game, and there is no point in doing anything because things will end up changing anyway, especially for us tournament / competitive / offline players.

Wesker is like the New York Yankees, it's bullshit - he wins a lot, but he can be beat and at the end of the day he's still bound by the same basic rules that apply during a Marvel match. It's up to the player to make sure the rules work to your advantage and not your opponents.

If Dark Wesker level 3 x-factor rising is such a problem, the tools and rules of the game permit you to perform a snap back.

So snap the mother fuck in.

Dude, nobody is saying nerf him to shit (I'm not at least). Take away that dumb shades power-up thing, and no more randomness on maximum wesker. That's all.

Why can't people criticize things man when valid? If not, we would still being at AE Yun. Of course just DP his dive kicks, kill him first, blah, blah. People still hated him. Sometimes complaints are valid man. And here we have AE 2012.

Again, nobody wants to "nerf him to shit".

Sentinel NEVER was a top tier character EVER. He was scratching on the bottom of high tier at best, and after the health nerf, was infinitely dumped into the mid tier area. He mostly is used for his gdlk assist.

Now, Wesker. Wesker is a completely different chapter. He already was Top 5 in vanilla. He received a buff that works pretty much exactly like a Level 1 X-Factor. And: It stacks with X-Factor. It doesn't drain at all, all you need to do is spend a meter or get hit.
That means that Wesker is getting a benefit from losing.

Wesker is good on every spot. He has one of the best assists in the game. He has stupidly easy combos, has one of the best damage outputs, has above average health, has a moronically easy way to cross up (herp derp maximum wesker). By getting hit or doing one of those herpderpcrossups, he becomes even MORE damaging and fast.

Saying Wesker's buffs are justified is really stupid. Saying that the glasses buff is not bullshit is just as stupid. This is literally the only thing I want to go. The stupid X-Factor glasses. And maybe the random crossups with Phantom Dance, but even with that I don't have as much of a problem. Hell, I've even tried to reason out the buffs on Wesker, but the shades thing - that's just retarded.

Grecco

Sentinel NEVER was a top tier character EVER. He was scratching on the bottom of high tier at best, and after the health nerf, was infinitely dumped into the mid tier area. He mostly is used for his gdlk assist.

Now, Wesker. Wesker is a completely different chapter. He already was Top 5 in vanilla. He received a buff that works pretty much exactly like a Level 1 X-Factor. And: It stacks with X-Factor. It doesn't drain at all, all you need to do is spend a meter or get hit.
That means that Wesker is getting a benefit from losing.

Wesker is good on every spot. He has one of the best assists in the game. He has stupidly easy combos, has one of the best damage outputs, has above average health, has a moronically easy way to cross up (herp derp maximum wesker). By getting hit or doing one of those herpderpcrossups, he becomes even MORE damaging and fast.

Saying Wesker's buffs are justified is really stupid. Saying that the glasses buff is not bullshit is just as stupid. This is literally the only thing I want to go. The stupid X-Factor glasses. And maybe the random crossups with Phantom Dance, but even with that I don't have as much of a problem. Hell, I've even tried to reason out the buffs on Wesker, but the shades thing - that's just retarded.

So does Nova essentially.

So does Nova essentially.

Yes, but Nova's benefits from the red health mechanic are very minor, he can power up a super and his gravimetric shield with it. That's 2 attacks, and it drains ALL your red health. It doesn't stay, it's not a constant speed/damage boost, and you actually have to think whether you want to spend the red health or not.

Not really comparable. Plus this whole game is based around a comeback mechanic that rewards you for losing.

Yes and no; X-Factor is not meant to be a comeback mechanic specifically. And you have to use it strategically. You can spend X-Factor early to kill off one or two characters, or to cancel something unsafe. With Wesker's shades, you only have to get punched in the face a couple times or randomly spend a meter on Phantom Dance and boom, X-factor level 1 for almost free.

D

Deleted member 13876

Unconfirmed Member
The red life mechanic would boost Nova if it didn't drain the entire bar to get the max benefits. If it capped at 25-30% it would be something that made him a lot more dangerous if damaged but right now it's more a nerf mechanic that forces you to play a bit more careful or adapt to certain situations than a universal buff like Wesker's glasses.

I find that Nova stuff a nerf honestly too. Your gonna give up all your red life? It's like a trade off.

When is Wesker's glass's a tradeoff of? Does wesker lose his red life to get his mini xfactor? Maybe he loses looking cool with the stunner shades for a bit, idk.

Glix

The problem is, if I lose, I need revenge, can't go out on a loss.

If I win, I'm on a roll, how could I stop?

And this is why I was up till 5 last night.

hey what is a good program or setup for recording footage from a playstation?

i have a bunch of silly Strider combos that I want to make a video out of and I'm not sure how to even get started, just seeing if people have a couple of recommendations

enzo_gt

tagged by Blackace
Hearing Fanatiq explain the R. Kelly situation on WNF is HILARIOUS.

"What's a better way to body someone, than to pee on em?"

Kadey

Mrs. Harvey
I have a nifty little program that lets you see where all the viewers are from.

People from China (at least I think so) are tuning into the stream!

QisTopTier

XisBannedTier
Wow I'm gone for a week and people are bitching about wesker LOL spencer is way worse, same for nova but just cause of the mechanics of his dash and grab range. The life drain damage boost is shitty for him and makes him stuck as an anchor. Wesker is just annoying nothing mind blowing broken though.

Hell strider is a lot worse than Wesker honestly *if you have the ability to play him*

Why shouldn't he get the glasses buff? I can say he needs as much as you can say he doesn't need it.

Reasons for needing the buff, You are a shitty ass player.
Reasons for not needing the buff, Wesker was fine already.

It doesn't even make sense on his character, Hulk if anyone should of got something like that.

Trey

That like applies to any character in any fighting game, or any competitive game, or any sport.

What's your point? Shouldn't people not let Zero do what he wants?

That's not the point. He shouldn't have the glasses buff. And maximum wesker randomly crossing up is dumb. Let him keep everything else. He is a teleport character who hits hard, he didn't need the glasses buff. And random super crossing up is just dumb design. People always hate "random shit" in fighting games, but maximum wesker is ok somehow?

People are giving way too much attention to Wesker because he's easy to learn and effective at all levels of play, whereas it takes actual work to get Zero up and running, but when he is he's way more untouchable for new players than Wesker. So it has the appearance that people are complaining about Wesker because he's so easy to play, not because he's really that good to require nerfs.

Why shouldn't he get the glasses buff? I can say he needs it as much as you can say he doesn't need it.

Maximum Wesker shouldn't cross up, I agree.

Grecco

Wow I'm gone for a week and people are bitching about wesker LOL spencer is way worse, same for nova but just cause of the mechanics of his dash and grab range. The life drain damage boost is shitty for him and makes him stuck as an anchor. Wesker is just annoying nothing mind blowing broken though.

Hell strider is a lot worse than Wesker honestly *if you have the ability to play him*

I think you may be on to something here. How many people have the ability to play him though.

Trey

I think you may be on to something here. How many people have the ability to play him though.

Ol boy has pretty mediocre damage, but his options are vast and his assist is seriously awesome. You would literally have to be looking out for it to see it coming.

Trey

It doesn't even make sense on his character, Hulk if anyone should of got something like that.

But he did get it. Does it make him broken? Unplayable? His health got a nerf; does the buff compensate?

Woulda coulda shoulda means nothing if you just say it without context.

Kai Dracon

Writing a dinosaur space opera symphony
Can't believe people are still salty over the Sentinel nerf, using it as proof of trends destroying fighting games.

Sent nerf was so close to the game's launch, that considering lead time for patch certification it was something they'd already decided. And the nerf wasn't because Sentinel was too high tier. It was because with so much health a Sent player could use his easy mode tactics to crush people online and make herp derp mistakes without paying for it.

The "nerf" got rid of easymode Sentinel and just made him more respectable to play for people who actually like the character, rather than those who wanted to rack up lag-based wins against new players online.

But he did get it. Does it make him broken? Unplayable? His health got a nerf; does the buff compensate?

Woulda coulda shoulda means nothing if you just say it without context.

The health nerf barely affects him. The only nerf that might be noticeable is the Rhino Charge one, and that hyper was really good in vanilla. It's still OK, though.

The glasses buff however, completely changes his gameplay. It makes a character who already was top 5 in the game even BETTER.

Grecco

Ol boy has pretty mediocre damage, but his options are vast and his assist is seriously awesome. You would literally have to be looking out for it to see it coming.

He has a ridiculous amount of still untapped potential, hes easily my favorite character in the game. Plus he just looks cool. I dont think i have the talent to play him well though.

Ken

Search for it, look for Kadey1up.

I'll try to join later during the night, hope it'll still be there.

What are the parameters? I tried 8, same region, any rank and any message but didn't find it. Does it not show up if it's full?

Giard

What are the parameters? I tried 8, same region, any rank and any message but didn't find it. Does it not show up if it's full?
You're right - if it's full, it does not show up. Check the stream to see/ask if there's an open spot.

Try searching with all parameters set at "Any".

Grecco

AfngtPICQAAvULt.jpg

Hori just sent a free Stick to Alex Valle. Im very jealous it looks awesome T_T

I wonder if Hori will send other pros free MVC3 sticks.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom