• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Ultimate Marvel vs. Capcom 3 |OT| of 9 Years Urley

Status
Not open for further replies.
Why do people say these things?
Capcom released MVC2 a year after MVC1 If I recall Correctly.
Did you forget the fact that Capcom's output dropped to almost nothing after they saturated the market?

A new numbered entry will sell like shit if they release it before the 720 comes out at the minimum. It is nothing but updates until then. I'm not even going to be vague about it. There will be no numbered entries until at least TWO of the next gen systems are out which means no MvC4 until summer of 2013 at the earliest.

ReiGun

Speaking of characters who made/didn't make the cut...
If MvC4 comes out, who do you think is gonna get the boot?

I want to say Sent is gonna get cut, but I think he's become a staple of the franchise at this point so he'll probably stay. I think Phoenix and X-23 are the X-Men most likely to get the boot.

I think Taskmaster might be gone after this one. Probably will get replaced by someone like Black Panther or Daredevil (similar acrobatic, "badass normal" characters basically).

Shuma is done. I don't care how much Capcom likes him. lol

On the Capcom side, it's harder to say, but I think Hsien-ko, Arthur, and RE5 Jill are out.

Also, Pete will probably have an Ultimate Spider-Man alt color. Hell, he should have one now.

Dahbomb

Why did no one tell me that Wolverine can no longer happy birthday people with Drill claw? God damn these stealth changes.

If you use drill claw now in the air against 2 opponents, it only hits one character. Lost a match today because of it and had to confirm it in the lab myself. Also Tornado Claw "feels" different but I can still do the Fatal Claw loop for 2 reps. Didn't try anything above that because no point in doing anymore when you can do LVL3 instead.

Wolverine is still a beast by the way. Just like I said he would be when people were saying crap about Logan. It's such a different pace playing Wolverine from the more methodical Vergil. People are still pringles to Berserker Slash, still pringles to his instant overhead (which you can now do solo with air x factor) and he still hurts like hell when he touches you.

So anyone else got any stealth changes they wanna talk about? I have found a ton already.

Neki

Why did no one tell me that Wolverine can no longer happy birthday people with Drill claw? God damn these stealth changes.

If you use drill claw now in the air against 2 opponents, it only hits one character. Lost a match today because of it and had to confirm it in the lab myself. Also Tornado Claw "feels" different but I can still do the Fatal Claw loop for 2 reps. Didn't try anything above that because no point in doing anymore when you can do LVL3 instead.

Wolverine is still a beast by the way. Just like I said he would be when people were saying crap about Logan. It's such a different pace playing Wolverine from the more methodical Vergil. People are still pringles to Berserker Slash, still pringles to his instant overhead (which you can now do solo with air x factor) and he still hurts like hell when he touches you.

So anyone else got any stealth changes they wanna talk about? I have found a ton already.

dacidbro kept saying on stream that felicia was the new wolverine

confirm/deny please

Apples to oranges. Plus the music genre didnt implode because of saturation of the market either. The music game consumer just shifted to dancing games.

That's not really true, but that's for another discussion.

I assume MVC4 will be on next gen (which makes sense to me).

I can see one more MVC3 iteration on current gen.

Grecco

Parappa pre-dates all of that. The man.

Also, what would be the best assists for Nova. I have the preferred Akuma and Virgil assists, but i can't figure out the best assist for use with Nova yet.

If you use Nova on point i dont think it really matters too much. I do like his Centurion Rush the best though

dacidbro kept saying on stream that felicia was the new wolverine

confirm/deny please
Three things

-Does she have a nigh unbeatable left right mixup that is easy to pull off?
-Does she have retarded XF1/XF2 bonuses on top of stupid easy damage?
-Is her divekick completely safe on block outside of XF cancels?

She MIGHT qualify if she has those things. I'm pretty sure her health is something like 850k though.
Remember Space Channel 5 and Gitaroo Man? Yea... those were the times.
Barely remember those games lol.

I was talking about Guitar Hero and Rockband more than the oldschool games. Activision milked Guitar Hero like no other and turned it from a six million+ seller(for a single game) to dust in a matter of three years or so.

Degen

Oddly satisifying to hear some Wesker scrub go "OH WHAT THE ****" over and over again on his mic

mics on ranked matches, gotta love it

GuardianE

Santa May Claus

I haven't seen it mentioned anywhere, but the startup for Dante's Hammer has definitely changed... it feels longer. Not the startup to invincibility, but the startup to actual active frames. It now completely whiffs unless you're pretty high in the air. I know that tiger knee'd Hammers would whiff in Vanilla if very close to the ground, but they now whiff when performed even higher.

Trey

I haven't seen it mentioned anywhere, but the startup for Dante's Hammer has definitely changed. It now completely whiffs unless you're pretty high in the air. I know that tiger knee'd Hammers would whiff in Vanilla if very close to the ground, but they now whiff when performed even higher.

There was a lengthy discussion on this yesterday, lol

I think theres more validity to it than the whole "Activision milked the genre" meme.

Milking was part of it. Activision/HMX were all involved in the milking. There were too many releases compacted together. Add to that the economics of licensing the music in realation to the reality of how much the games were selling, the profit margin on the plastic instruments, apathy of the consumer base to having to buy new instruments all the time, the "newness" of the whole thing wearing off (the game releases weren't "events" anymore).

Things peaked at GH3, sales wise (it sold a shit ton), and everything went down from there.

I don't think it's completely dead, there is still a niche market for the plastic instrument people. For instance, I would buy Rock Band 4, and some new drums or something.

And I don't think a good chunk of the core people who were playing GH1-2-3 went to the dance games, maybe a good number, but not a huge amount.

I think a lot of those people went on to the next big release (COD, or whatever). The early days of GH? It was like an arcade game and rocking out. We were playing for high scores with the buds. We weren't wanting to dance around. None of the people I used to play with and I know played the guitar games a lot do not play Dance Central/Just Dance. I think that is a different casual audience they have captured. The casual people I knew who played GH during the early days are now playing COD/BF3.

Dahbomb

Three things

2 and 3 she has for sure. Easy mode combos with Felicia do solid damage and her X factor bonuses are good. Delta kick appears to be safe.

1 she sort of has with an assist and it doesn't matter that much because she has possibly the best command throw in the game. So if you are on the ground blocking you are opened up which is as good as a left/right. In the air she has the threat of an air throw.

confirm/deny please
As far as "new" Wolverine probably but not new vanilla Wolverine. None of her tools are as godlike as vanilla Berserker Slash. Also about the only real weakness of Felicia is the range on her normals, gets out ranged by characters with swords and stuff. She is a contender for top 10 right now which if you have been following the game is a PACKED list of characters wanting that spot.

Burning Water

Neo Member
When Deadpool is wearing his Cablepool outfit, his intro quote is:
"Hah, and you thought Cable wasn't in this game!"

Hah, I always wondered if they'd change intros with costumes.

Can anyone test if Deadpool's Katanarama hitbox for OTG has changed? It doesn't feel like it hits as far as it used to, but it could just be that I'm just now using him for the first time since July.

Neki

2 and 3 she has for sure. Easy mode combos with Felicia do solid damage and her X factor bonuses are good. Delta kick appears to be safe.

1 she sort of has with an assist and it doesn't matter that much because she has possibly the best command throw in the game. So if you are on the ground blocking you are opened up which is as good as a left/right. In the air she has the threat of an air throw.

As far as "new" Wolverine probably but not new vanilla Wolverine. None of her tools are as godlike as vanilla Berserker Slash. Also about the only real weakness of Felicia is the range on her normals, gets out ranged by characters with swords and stuff. She is a contender for top 10 right now which if you have been following the game is a PACKED list of characters wanting that spot.

I was watching the finestko archives and I watched someone fake out his opponent with Wolverine by using berserker barrage instead of berserker slash, because he was antipicating the cross-up, think it was ShadyK who did it, so funny to see, LOL.

Dahbomb

Like I said people are still pringles to the Berserker Slash.

He probably did Berserker Barrage because he knew that if he did an obvious Berserker Slash it would get beat out by random buttons (whether it crosses up or not). That's really the best way to deal with Wolverine, just have stuff on the screen and be pressing high priority buttons.

Sooo, thinking of updating from vanilla to Ultimate MvC3. Do I "lose" anything by not keeping the original (endings, backgrounds, etc.) or is Ultimate really the ultimate version?

HiResDes

Sooo, thinking of updating from vanilla to Ultimate MvC3. Do I "lose" anything by not keeping the original (endings, backgrounds, etc.) or is Ultimate really the ultimate version?
If you've been playing Tron like me for the past half year or so you're in for a rude awakening.

Three things

She MIGHT qualify if she has those things. I'm pretty sure her health is something like 850k though.
(i used to play her in vanilla but no longer in umvc3, so i'm not sure about some new frame data if any.)

i wouldn't say her mixups are worse, but they are certainly different. her biggest asset over wolvie is both her command throw and air throw. her cross-up game is worse in that she can't really cross up on her own like wolvie can, but when paired up with the right assist its pretty damn good.

her damage output is definitely not as good as wolvies. however, she has access to a tons of good resets.

not only a lot of her moves safe (not just dive kick, but other moves too), but quite a few actually give her advantage allowing her to continue her offense more easily. however, they have crap priority. wolvies dive kick hitbox shrunk and he lost invincibility on bslash, but i'd still say dive kick > anything felicia has in terms of priority.

enzo_gt

tagged by Blackace
What do you mean lose?

Cut content:
- Some endings which are replaced with new ones (some better like Ryus, some worse)
- Gallery is missing the 4 episodes/intros
- A good UI

You lose your PP, all that shit. As long as you have a MvC3 save on your HDD, you get Galactus mode unlocked early. If you have Costume Pack 01, that carries over, and you get Jill/Shuma costumes free. Also if you have Jill/Shuma they carry over.

Ultimate is the ultimate version. There's no going back really. No way in hell I'm selling my vanilla though.

vg260

You lose Event Mode. (which I actually liked for the special arcade battles 1v3, 2vs3 etc)

They changed up the bulk of the Mission mode trials. I wish they kept most of them that were still relevant and just added new ones. I like to revisit them to refresh my memory on seldom used characters.

What do you mean lose?

Cut content:
- Some endings which are replaced with new ones (some better like Ryus, some worse)
- Gallery is missing the 4 episodes/intros

Shit. Then it is by no means an "ultimate" version. I hate it when they do this. When you release a "super" version of an existing game, it should not cut endings, backgrounds, etc. The "super" version should contain a superset of everything in the original so that you can get rid of the original and not feel like you're losing content.

Now I'll have to keep both. <grumble> I hated it in the various Street Fighter 3 versions because while each version increased the character count, some of my favorite backgrounds went missing and were replaced with crappy ones.

enzo_gt

tagged by Blackace
Shit. Then it is by no means an "ultimate" version. I hate it when they do this. When you release a "super" version of an existing game, it should not cut endings, backgrounds, etc. The "super" version should contain a superset of everything in the original so that you can get rid of the original and not feel like you're losing content.

Now I'll have to keep both. <grumble> I hated it in the various Street Fighter 3 versions because while each version increased the character count, some of my favorite backgrounds went missing and were replaced with crappy ones.
It's not like they cut endings, they changed them to reflect the new cast, in which case they're better. The ones that got worse are the ones that for some odd reason compacted the actual words to go with the endings. Unnecessary really, and puzzling.

Also some colours were replaced with other ones, and some colours were updated. There are no cut backgrounds.

And yeah we lost event mode. I liked it too, but it was DLC for the first game, and H&H essentially replaces a lot of the modifiers.

GuardianE

Santa May Claus
GAF who got it worse: Tron or She-Hulk?

Easily Tron. She-Hulk's extended combos don't really work anymore and her slide was hurt, but she still has a variety of tools at her disposal. I don't believe she's as ruined as everyone says she is.

A lot of people used Tron strictly for her assist. And that's been ruined. The people that liked playing her on point have to relearn bnbs and approach options. Not really so for She-Hulk (or less so, anyway).

enzo_gt

tagged by Blackace
Easily Tron. She-Hulk's extended combos don't really work anymore and her slide was hurt, but she still has a variety of tools at her disposal. I don't believe she's as ruined as everyone says she is.

A lot of people used Tron strictly for her assist. And that's been ruined. The people that liked playing her on point have to relearn bnbs and approach options. Not really so for She-Hulk (or less so, anyway).
Yeah, well anyone who only used her (or any other character) as an assist shouldn't be bitching period. But a ton of people did like her on point and they've been burned pretty bad.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom