• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Ultimate Marvel vs. Capcom 3 |OT| of 9 Years Urley

Status
Not open for further replies.

Xevren

Which of Nova's assists is "the best", and the same goes for Hawkeye?

I've been using Nova's slide across the screen assist and Hawkeye's triple shot. My third character is Vergil and I'm using the multi slash dash across the screen assist.

I'm sort of conflicted between Hawkeye's triple shot and OTG poison arrow. You can set up some cool spaced OTG's combos with it, and you can use it during combos too for better damage.

Nova however I'm super confused which would fit my team the best. :/

You're running the same team as me! Should really try to play with his Cent Rush assist since it's an overhead. Having an unblockable setup with it is really nice, but you have to kind of learn how to use it well since it's pretty slow at coming out.

smurfx

get some go again
man chris g's hawkeye is all kinds of badass. i'm definitely going to study his matches. i've been neglecting hawkeye and just focusing on my old team but i'm going to try and put him back in and experiment with teams.

shaowebb

Guh...finished finals. 19 pages of stats, standard deviations and variance formulas out the yin yang and a ton of stuff. My eyes feel like their bleeding...

Please God someone tell me somekind of cool news about this game. Anyone of note using Iron Fist yet besides Justin Wong? Also who is Combofiend using now? Anything to perk me up...

Zissou

Guh...finished finals. 19 pages of stats, standard deviations and variance formulas out the yin yang and a ton of stuff. My eyes feel like their bleeding...

Please God someone tell me somekind of cool news about this game. Anyone of note using Iron Fist yet besides Justin Wong? Also who is Combofiend using now? Anything to perk me up...

People have been saying combofiend is using Nova/Spencer/Hawkeye now, though I've seen no direct evidence of it yet.

I saw Genghis get second place at the box arena tourney today, losing only to DiosX, and he used Iron Fist on point. Congrats on finishing finals man.

Which of Nova's assists is "the best", and the same goes for Hawkeye?

I've been using Nova's slide across the screen assist and Hawkeye's triple shot. My third character is Vergil and I'm using the multi slash dash across the screen assist.

I'm sort of conflicted between Hawkeye's triple shot and OTG poison arrow. You can set up some cool spaced OTG's combos with it, and you can use it during combos too for better damage.

Nova however I'm super confused which would fit my team the best. :/

Nova's best assist is Nova Strike (the overhead, I believe it might also OTG - not sure - but I know it ground bounces if it catches the enemy from the air). Centurion Rush is OK, and Gravimetric Pulse is only good if you take care, cause it'll drain Nova's red life even as an assist.

As for Hawkeye, all of his assists are good. Violent Fizz hits OTG and poisons, but I made the experience it's somewhat easy to punish. Triple Shot (Greyhound is its name I believe) is really good as well, I don't have to explain it anyway cause well you use it LOL. The last one is the one that's like faster Hidden Missiles. Since you use Vergil, you can use it to lock your opponent down while you are approaching them.

Dahbomb

Nova's best assist is easily Centurion Rush. A ground bounce and an overhead. The Gravimetric Pulse assist is only good on zoning teams and even then you have to be super careful about using it meaning it's half assed because you are sacrificing red health for just a meatier shield. Nova Strike is a wall bounce combo extender at best, not really super high priority... Iron Fist Dragon Fang gets the job done better.

RyRy is using Iron Fist although it seems like an assist character really. There was something crazy learned about Iron Fist at the tournament and it's that his st.H passes over (or through) crouching characters who have a short hit box. It's worth looking into because it decided a match.

NEC teams was crazy. Salt was EVERYWHERE, tons of blow ups, big names got bodied, grand finals was epic and tense, people actually were exhausted due to over hype. Tons of character variety and technology seen.

If by "character variety" you mean "everyone played Wesker", then you are correct.

Also, you're mixing Nova Strike with Centurion Rush. Nova Strike is that one where he comes diagonally from above, Centurion Rush is the one where he dashes forward.

Dahbomb

If by "character variety" you mean "everyone played Wesker", then you are correct.

Also, you're mixing Nova Strike with Centurion Rush. Nova Strike is that one where he comes diagonally from above, Centurion Rush is the one where he dashes forward.
Were we watching the same top 3? Because Wesker wasn't even the most used character, out of the 3 teams there were only 2 Weskers entirely and ChrisG switching to Wesker at the end so a total of 3. Those 3 teams had more Magnetos than Weskers. I had the character usage stats in the NEC thread. The rest of the top 3 is split very evenly across 30 characters. I am not even concerned what the lower end of teams rankings had, I am sure there were a ton of Weskers but all were terrible and got bodied hard.

People noticed Wesker being used because of the over hype around him. Everytime someone had Wesker at anchor it was like the commentators and everyone else had to point it out with a loud speaker that Wesker was on deck. When Wesker beat even one character at the end people felt the need to yell out "DARK WESKER RISING". The top 3 had more Sentinel match finishers than Wesker... true story.

Dahbomb

Posting it here in case people missed it (this is top 3 teams for UMVC3 at NEC so this is character spread across 9 players)

Magneto: 3
Wesker: 3* (ChrisG changed to Wesker for final set, it was 2 before that set)

Akuma: 2
Sentinel: 2
Ryu: 2

Zero: 1
Dormammu: 1
Amaterasu: 1
X-23: 1
Dante: 1
Hawkeye: 1
Firebrand: 1*
Felicia: 1
Super Skrull: 1
Taskmaster: 1
Deadpool: 1
Vergil: 1
Nova: 1
Iron Fist: 1
C Viper: 1
Nemesis: 1

mr. puppy

Banned
Were we watching the same top 3? Because Wesker wasn't even the most used character, out of the 3 teams there were only 2 Weskers entirely and ChrisG switching to Wesker at the end so a total of 3.

well, the disheartening fact is that ChrisG switched to Wesker, acknowledging that the character is stupid right now instead of sticking with the team he brought with him. he feels too much like people just throwing in Phoenix and auto winning.

Dahbomb

well, the disheartening fact is that ChrisG switched to Wesker, acknowledging that the character is stupid right now instead of sticking with the team he brought with him. he feels too much like people just throwing in Phoenix and auto winning.
His team was doing fine and he was bodying people with it. He got beat by an anchor Wesker and got salty over it so he put him in his team as a clutch.

Meh oh well.

Wesker is essential for ChrisG playstyle, he needs the OTG to do max damage off Ryu's air throws and having a fundamental, fish for punishing character as an anchor is much more fitting for him than a zoning character like Hawkeye. His Ryu/Firebrand/Hawkeye team was never going to work on the long run, that had 3 characters that need meter to be at their best and I think he was always going to have to choose between Ryu or Firebrand in a team. And in the end he choose Ryu.

I kindna wish he would pick up Morrigan, he is a big fan of her and I liked his Morrigan when he played her in Big 2 vs RayRay.

Toski

Does anyone know if Daigo is going to play Ultimate, or is he sticking to AE 2012?

It would be disappointing if he sticks just with AE, but I can understand why.

PS, why does Wesker have 1,000,000 health? He should have 900k at most.

mr. puppy

Banned
His team was doing fine and he was bodying people with it. He got beat by an anchor Wesker and got salty over it so he put him in his team as a clutch.

Meh oh well.

honestly, it was more like everyone was playing too brain dead to get a beam assist to deal with nemesis+drones, which when you look back on it, would solve every problem.

ChrisG using Tatsu to get in against that did not work at all.

Grecco

Does anyone know if Daigo is going to play Ultimate, or is he sticking to AE 2012?

It would be disappointing if he sticks just with AE, but I can understand why.

PS, why does Wesker have 1,000,000 health? He should have 900k at most.

I doubt Daigo drops Marvel, and Wesker has a million cause hes a God.

Dahbomb

honestly, it was more like everyone was playing too brain dead to get a beam assist to deal with nemesis+drones, which when you look back on it, would solve every problem.

ChrisG using Tatsu to get in against that did not work at all.
ChrisG shut down Nemesis and Drones with Hawkeye alone. The match up looked free. It was only when ChrisG actually went IN and tried to grab Nemesis but got scooped up by the anti-air command grab. His matches against "Unknown" were lost due to Wesker bullshittery which is what made him switch to Wesker in the first place.

But I do agree with the former, other people just didn't realize that a team of 3 point characters like Spencer/Wolverine/Wesker isn't going to get you past Nemesis + Drones individually. And then said people have a salty breakdown or some shit.

Wesker has a million cause hes a God.
Pretty much.

tumblr_lpzq0pt4lG1r0w2obo1_500.jpg

I do know that Tokido is playing Magneto/Doom/Phoenix now...
Interesting. Surprisingly not that cheap of a team.

Yoshichan

And they made him a Lord of Cinder. Not for virtue, but for might. Such is a lord, I suppose. But here I ask. Do we have a sodding chance?
I WON THIS GAME MY ASS BRO! LET'S GO!

Dahbomb

I don't know which tournament he was coming to but during his way over he got booked with his car and had to visit the station. Something like that.

QisTopTier

XisBannedTier
My god Anchor Arthur is so fucking retarded now. Almost on par with xfactor 3 felicia now. *almost not quite there* Top it off with firebrand and arthur actually HELPING EACH OTHER A GREAT DEAL and lulz I wonder if Seth had something to do with that. You literally cant press a button or call an assist or the match is practically over.

Pretty much.

Everyone should be fortunate enough to thank Eighting for restraining Wesker. If people are salty now, just imagine what they would do if Wesker had an "Ouroboros release" mode where he turns into or harnesses the form at the end of RE5? If you thought he was a pain in the ass now...

My god Anchor Arthur is so fucking retarded now. Almost on par with xfactor 3 felicia now. *almost not quite there* Top it off with firebrand and arthur actually HELPING EACH OTHER A GREAT DEAL and lulz I wonder if Seth had something to do with that. You literally cant press a button or call an assist or the match is practically over.

Haha glad I'm not the only one who realizes this. Arthur was always a better anchor than people gave him credit for, and the system changes + his buffs make him even scarier. If he activates XF after you and has gold armour at the anchor position, one Lance = your death. Chip, Hit, or as a blockstring to time you out.

QisTopTier

XisBannedTier
Haha glad I'm not the only one who realizes this. Arthur was always a better anchor than people gave him credit for, and the system changes + his buffs make him even scarier. If he activates XF after you and has gold armour at the anchor position, one Lance = your death. Chip, Hit, or as a blockstring to time you out.

Incorrect you can push block then jump out of it. I don't know how that works but it works.

Reasons why anchor arthur is stupid.

You press a button or summon an assist and he has 3 meter. You just lost up to 2 characters.

You try to attack him and he has 1 bar and xfactor you just lose your character because gold armor heavenly slash has srk properties and can loop with itself for up to 1.4 million damage. Gold armor has invincibility frames on it as well, I use it to dodge gimlet all the time.

Any random bad button press full screen into a lance.

Running isn't really possible cause he can dash with his j.S VERY VERY FAST into 50/50 mix ups once he is in. which leads to heavenly slash loops.

Super jumping isnt really a good idea cause he can just super jump up with you and throw a lance and lock you into that place as you fall back straight down.

No he had it right. Human Rocket Punch (Nova Strike M) goes forward and Centurion Rush M goes down forward from above. Funny thing is that there's a typo in the guide. It says Centurion Rush L instead of Nova Strike in the table with assists. If only Nova had that assist. It would probably be the best low assist in the game.

Dahbomb

L Centurion Rush would basically be Wesker's Low Gun shot only full screen due to how fast it comes. Capcom didn't want another character stealing Wesker's thunder....

Frantic

A fast, full screen low + OTG? That's not broken at all or anything.
Honestly wish they went with that for an assist just for the SALT it would cause.

Also, I was always afraid of XF3 Arthur in Vanilla... he's only gotten scarier in Ultimate. Now I'm terrified of him. D:

mr. puppy

Banned
strider is so weird to play. his assist is amazing, but you don't want him as anchor b/c he just can't handle anchors who can out zone him. and he really isn't made to punish people with meter, you need to stay on top of where you are positionally and the screen and hopefully punish accordingly.

his meter use is either-> dump it into ouroboros if you've got a favorable matchup or save it all for combo enders.

McNum

Hold on a second, did you guys just say Arthur is a good anchor in Ultimate? Very interesting, I like Arthur, from a pure fanboy perspective. Played so much Ghost and Goblins on my C64, even got to level 2, when I was younger. If Arthur is good in this game, I pretty much have to try him out now. The knives are a fun assist, anyway.

Do you start with him on point to get him gold, or do you just leave him meter, so he can do it himself when anchoring?

QisTopTier

XisBannedTier
Hold on a second, did you guys just say Arthur is a good anchor in Ultimate? Very interesting, I like Arthur, from a pure fanboy perspective. Played so much Ghost and Goblins on my C64, even got to level 2, when I was younger. If Arthur is good in this game, I pretty much have to try him out now. The knives are a fun assist, anyway.

Do you start with him on point to get him gold, or do you just leave him meter, so he can do it himself when anchoring?

He chills in the shadows, treat him like DP

McNum

He chills in the shadows, treat him like DP
Will do, just as soon as I'm done with Zelda. It's been really bad for my Marvel that it released on the day of Zelda... Now I just got to find a middleman for my "with Arthur" team. Felicia/???/Arthur. Captain America is a possibility, but I think I need to keep that slot open to ideas. Don't need anyone with more difficult execution than Felicia on the team, though. One is enough.

Giard

I put him on point. If he's against a character who has difficulty against zoning, Hulk for example, he can hold his own for a good while, then use Gold Armor and switch out. If he's against a good rushdown character, use Gold Armor as soon as you can and switch out. You'll get an even better assist during the fight that way, and Arthur will be ready to use XF3 immediately when he comes out.

Using him as an anchor is probably safer, but you won't get a better assist.

Update on my own team:
My favorite point characters are presently Phoenix, Skull, and Akuma. I'm surprised at how well Akuma works, because his new aerial demon flip auto-corrects for fireballs, so I can really mess with people.

When people encounter two of something, they tend to over-exaggerate the amount. Examples include:

Eating two apples: "Damn, I had hella apples today."
Hitting two red lights while driving: "WTF at all these reds! You'd think I would see one green, jeez."

And so on, and so on. A friend pointed it out to me several years ago, and now I can't stop noticing it.
Ah. Well, I tend to go by ratios. Hawkeye has a maximum number of 3 things to say during a match in terms of win/intro quotes. When 2/3 of those are about being married, I count that as "a lot".

i know reactions aren't the same thing as yomi but i wasn't trying to say that. that was a seperate point from the yomi thing, in regards to him not being an interesting character.

and it's not even the fact that hawkeye requires good yomi, but just that his game does involve yomi. in fact, i think that having good yomi benefits every single character and generally every single (good) fighting game.
Oh sure, there's definitely yomi in everything, but I like characters that are based off it.

So basically, for one character you choose to list all the options, and for the other, based upon early play, you completely neglect stuff such as command counters for one. Here let me do Dormammu:

1) Chuck shit to get space
2) When you have space, go for j.S or j.H (I can't recall which it is)

There, I summed up Dormammu. That pretty much uses the same assumptions you used to make your blanket statements. While I don't think Strange is the most complex character in the world either, your analysis is pretty damn reductionist. Even if you don't prefer the kind of playstyle with less tools at your disposal, which is pretty much the crux of what your saying, that doesn't really correlate to that grand summary you made for Strange. The fact that you elaborated on it anyways is evident that there's more to it than a bulleted list really.
If you ever want to actually read what I wrote, let me know and we can keep talking about this.

McNum

I put him on point. If he's against a character who has difficulty against zoning, Hulk for example, he can hold his own for a good while, then use Gold Armor and switch out. If he's against a good rushdown character, use Gold Armor as soon as you can and switch out. You'll get an even better assist during the fight that way, and Arthur will be ready to use XF3 immediately when he comes out.

Using him as an anchor is probably safer, but you won't get a better assist.
Ah that sounds about right. It's a gamble to have him on point, but it could pay off. So... I just have to use the "Hold A1 or A2 to swap your point with that assist" trick to swap Arthur in if the opponent is a good matchup for him? The game starts before the "FIGHT!" sound, after all.

Giard

I was going to get the "Don't switch or call assists" achievement in ranked...then the guy rage quit. :(
EDIT: Fought another beginner, managed to get it! :D I hope I didn't frustrate them too much.

Ah that sounds about right. It's a gamble to have him on point, but it could pay off. So... I just have to use the "Hold A1 or A2 to swap your point with that assist" trick to swap Arthur in if the opponent is a good matchup for him? The game starts before the "FIGHT!" sound, after all.
You could do that I guess. If you're not gonna use Gold Armor before switching, just put him as anchor.

QisTopTier

XisBannedTier
You could do that I guess. If you're not gonna use Gold Armor before switching, just put him as anchor.

This is such a huge ass waste though, one of the best things about gold armor is that he is invincible during the activation, using it to swap out after and not guarantee a kill is iffy.

Gold armor daggers are not THAT much up of an upgrade over regular ones, and fire is only good for so many characters. If he is using the kitty regular daggers is way more than enough for her to rip through teams.

Giard

This is such a huge ass waste though, one of the best things about gold armor is that he is invincible during the activation, using it to swap out after and not guarantee a kill is iffy.

Gold armor daggers are not THAT much up of an upgrade over regular ones, and fire is only good for so many characters. If he is using the kitty regular daggers is way more than enough for her to rip through teams.
Listen to him McNum, he's better than me :p

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom