• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Ultimate Marvel vs. Capcom 3 |OT| of 9 Years Urley

Status
Not open for further replies.

McNum

This is such a huge ass waste though, one of the best things about gold armor is that he is invincible during the activation, using it to swap out after and not guarantee a kill is iffy.

Gold armor daggers are not THAT much up of an upgrade over regular ones, and fire is only good for so many characters. If he is using the kitty regular daggers is way more than enough for her to rip through teams.
Yeah, I plan on using the kitty. I just like her. Arthur I have a 6-year old me screaming "Pick Arthur! Pick Arthur!" in my head, who, by the way, was really disappointed with Arthur in MvC3. I know some of what Felicia can do with daggers, at least some of it. It makes cat crawl safe, and with Air Delta, she can also just sail clean over the opponent, causing a left/right crossup. Cap might be a good second, except Daggers do what I wanted Shield Slash to do, so now I'm not sure anymore. What does Felicia want other than a slow horizontal assist? She has two OTGs herself, so that's not it.

Sooner or later, I really should start taking the game online. Just... Zelda. It's hard to put that game down.

QisTopTier

XisBannedTier
Yeah, I plan on using the kitty. I just like her. Arthur I have a 6-year old me screaming "Pick Arthur! Pick Arthur!" in my head, who, by the way, was really disappointed with Arthur in MvC3. I know some of what Felicia can do with daggers, at least some of it. It makes cat crawl safe, and with Air Delta, she can also just sail clean over the opponent, causing a left/right crossup. Cap might be a good second, except Daggers do what I wanted Shield Slash to do, so now I'm not sure anymore. What does Felicia want other than a slow horizontal assist? She has two OTGs herself, so that's not it.

Sooner or later, I really should start taking the game online. Just... Zelda. It's hard to put that game down.

She really doesn't need much but horizontal, just pick a character second that can abuse her low hit and arthurs daggers together. If anything you could try Ryu or Taskmaster for easy unblockable set ups that don't take much effort to learn. Daggers are to make unsafe set ups safe and stay in, felicia for opening them up with either of them. Nova wouldn't be a bad choice either, you could have unblockables for both nova and felicia. I'm not sure if felicia can use spencer's assist for resets but she can resets into command grabs or other mix ups would be good and spencer would benefit from both characters.

Ken

Think I'm going to try picking up Ammy for the first time. Any advice on how to play her, combos, and assists?

enzo_gt

tagged by Blackace
This is how Wesker's sunglasses should work imo:
s9jYm.gif
I AM DYING OF LAUGHTER

Think I'm going to try picking up Ammy for the first time. Any advice on how to play her, combos, and assists?

Well, for starters, get used to weapons other than the reflector, and when using the reflector don't forget that you have a counter. If Ammy has Xfactor, she has easy loops with the glaive that easily kill. Also, use slow, it's SO useful.

GatorBait

Can someone explain to me what the two numbers under "start up" for the frame data on hyper combos mean in the official guide? It's in the format of X+Y, whereas other attacks only have a single number for start up frames. I assume it has something to do with the hyper flash, but I'm not sure and I can't seem to find an explanation in the guide.

Can someone explain to me what the two numbers under "start up" for the frame data on hyper combos mean in the official guide? It's in the format of X+Y, whereas other attacks only have a single number for start up frames. I assume it has something to do with the hyper flash, but I'm not sure and I can't seem to find an explanation in the guide.
yes, it is before and after the superfreeze or whatever you want to call it.

also, its important to know that when dhc'ing the startup before the superfreeze is generally ignored. for example, storms hail storm startup is extremely slow, but if you dhc into it, it's almost instant.

McNum

She really doesn't need much but horizontal, just pick a character second that can abuse her low hit and arthurs daggers together. If anything you could try Ryu or Taskmaster for easy unblockable set ups that don't take much effort to learn. Daggers are to make unsafe set ups safe and stay in, felicia for opening them up with either of them. Nova wouldn't be a bad choice either, you could have unblockables for both nova and felicia. I'm not sure if felicia can use spencer's assist for resets but she can resets into command grabs or other mix ups would be good and spencer would benefit from both characters.
Ryu? Oh, right! Ryu can combo after his overhead in UMvC3, and if he hits overhead while Felicia hits low... Well, it sucks to be the other guy, doesn't it? Although Ryu's assist... Hmm... No need for Hadoken with the Daggers, and Tatsu is also a slow horizontal, but it does lock the opponent down. I haven't heard much about Ryu's Shoryuken assist, pity it's not Hadoshoryuken. That'd be great. Yeah, I think I'll try out Felicia/Ryu/Arthur and maybe try to see if Nova does anything for me. But those three I know I can play. Well, after a bit of practice, of course.

Ken

Well, for starters, get used to weapons other than the reflector, and when using the reflector don't forget that you have a counter. If Ammy has Xfactor, she has easy loops with the glaive that easily kill. Also, use slow, it's SO useful.

Thanks.

Went into a match with her and well, she died pretty quickly on point. Been awhile since I've used a character with less than 1M health. The one time I did get a simple combo going I ended up dropping it. Guess I need to practice with her more.

Your easy BnBs are probably gonna be something like

Reflector: L, M, H, f+H, H, H, H, H, S, j.M, j.H, j.H, qcf+H, M, S, air combo/super

Glaive: L, M, c.H, S, j.M, j.M, qcf+H, j.H (fully charged while falling), qcf+L (fully charged), super

Beads: Are there even good combos with this as the starter? Serious question.

Both combos do around the same damage.

Also, if you haven't used your ground bounce, after a knockdown don't forget to change to glaive, j.df+H xx qcf+S xx super

Ken

Your easy BnBs are probably gonna be something like

Reflector: L, M, H, f+H, H, H, H, H, S, j.M, j.H, j.H, qcf+H, M, S, air combo/super

Glaive: L, M, c.H, S, j.M, j.M, qcf+H, j.H (fully charged while falling), qcf+L (fully charged), super

Beads: Are there even good combos with this as the starter? Serious question.

Both combos do around the same damage.

Also, if you haven't used your ground bounce, after a knockdown don't forget to change to glaive, j.df+H xx qcf+S xx super

Yeah I've been practicing that Reflector BnB and a different Glaive combo (the one in the guide). With Reflector BnB, I usually drop the combo in the air after the first S because I don't get high enough to hit them with the entire jMMH qcfH. Should I turn off the auto-jump with launcher option in the options menu?

From the NEC tournament thread:

Character usage for top 8 finals:

Wesker - 7
Wolverine - 3
Akuma - 2
Spencer - 1
Ryu - 1
Frank West - 1
Storm - 1
Magneto - 1
Dante - 1
Trish - 1
Taskmaster - 1
Felicia - 1
Vergil - 1
Super-Skrull -1
Firebrand - 1
Hawkeye - 1

As you can see, pretty balanced, although - Wesker pretty much ruins that balance.

enzo_gt

tagged by Blackace
Chris G won in my heart. He played most consistently throughout singles and teams.

I asked in the NEC thread but got no answer, is Balrog's finger still fucked up? So much soap dropped at NEC, I need to find a way to rationalize it. Balrog used to be so hype, but at this tourney he definitely dropped the ball more often than not.

Chris G won in my heart. He played most consistently throughout singles and teams.

I asked in the NEC thread but got no answer, is Balrog's finger still fucked up? So much soap dropped at NEC, I need to find a way to rationalize it. Balrog used to be so hype, but at this tourney he definitely dropped the ball more often than not.

He was probably hype because he had a sick Dante, but then - like a lot of people, he dropped Dante in Ultimate.

Oldschoolgamer

The physical form of blasphemy
So about Chris G's Hawkeye. *takes notes*

HSD, is the best way to rationalize it. Can't combo forever and a day anymore.

enzo_gt

tagged by Blackace
HSD, is the best way to rationalize it. Can't combo forever and a day anymore.
This is what I'm thinking too, a lot of players are playing it like it's vanilla, overestimating the amount of hitstun deterioration they're getting. But even some of those short combos were being dropped left and right.

Dahbomb

What exactly happened? Is there a video archive or something up somewhere?
Spoiler of course:

Grand final came down to Chris G vs PRBalrog after a stunning display of solidity in top 8 by ChrisG while everyone else was dropping soap like crazy. PRBalrog also looked dangerous coming off of his win over Noel Brown. Bracket was reset and the tournament came down to final match. There was a point in the match where ChrisG was down but not out... he got a combo/punish with Wesker on Wolverine the main problem character on PRBalrog's team with Phantom Dance hyper. He DHC'd into Ryu... only the hyper that came out was his LVL3 instead of the Shinkuu Hadouken. Completely mind fucked he lost the match after that input error. He was down to X factorless Wesker but you can tell from the body language that he had given up completely and wasn't doing anything but doing cr.M. After the final hit, camera pans to ChrisG with the saddest face you have EVER seen in your life in a MVC3 game. He sits there with the face for a bit and it almost looks like he's crying. I felt sad for reals.

He wasn't dropping anything in casuals. Every touch he did with Spencer was a character kill and he made it look stylish. I would strike that up to tournament jitters.

enzo_gt

tagged by Blackace
He wasn't dropping anything in casuals. Every touch he did with Spencer was a character kill and he made it look stylish. I would strike that up to tournament jitters.
I feel bad for missing casuals early on at NEC. Seems like that's where all the great Rog/Clock play was and then it just tapered off during the actual tournaments.

HiResDes

Trying to use a low-tier Nova/Skrull/Thor team, but I absolutely suck with Skrull. Any footage of high damage Skrull BNBs would be greatly beneficial. Thanks in advance.

Dahbomb

Also Yipes was looking godly when he was at West Coast playing his characters of Nova, Magneto, Dante etc. He got eliminated off stream and got salty for it. Didn't say who.

Has there ever even been a good fighting game where matchups DON'T come into play? How is what you described not just plain ol' matchups?

You say there are characters who have good matchups against Wesker. Why don't people just actually play them when they run into a Wesker team?

Even if Wesker gets nerfed, another character becomes the new Mr Popular. The game needs to be rebalanced again because you need to be able to construct a team that can cover the matchup? It doesn't make a whole lot of sense to me. It sounds like you're describing most fighting games. I'd say it's pretty ludicrous to say the meta is all Wesker when he has more than a handful of counterpicks.

Again, nobody is denying he has stupid shit. All the characters worth their salt do.

Let's at least flesh it out all in one go instead of having a metric ton of versions of the game.

Should probably take this to the Marvel thread instead of derailing the NEC thread D: Sorry yall.
Two things:
-I agree with you somewhat on the issue of people finding the next cheap shit, but it doesn't get much cheaper than doing a phantom dance from good distance for a possible crossup+bonus+damage or simple bonus. It is way easy and the benefits are long lasting compared to something like... charged buster or gravitation spam. There are levels of derp and the glasses are nonsensical derp(at least Phoenix makes sense considering her background).

-This is Mahvel 3 we are talking about. We'll be lucky if we go nine months without an announcement :lol. I'd rather not deal with Phoenix, Wolvie and Wesker styled antics for 70% of the game's life.

DR2K

Banned
From the NEC tournament thread:

Character usage for top 8 finals:

Wesker - 7
Wolverine - 3
Akuma - 2
Spencer - 1
Ryu - 1
Frank West - 1
Storm - 1
Magneto - 1
Dante - 1
Trish - 1
Taskmaster - 1
Felicia - 1
Vergil - 1
Super-Skrull -1
Firebrand - 1
Hawkeye - 1

As you can see, pretty balanced, although - Wesker pretty much ruins that balance.

Because some fucking morons decided to BUFF him instead of nerf him a little like the other god tier characters in MVC3. Seriously why waste money and time re-balancing the roster if they go and do dumb intentional shit like this?

Oldschoolgamer

The physical form of blasphemy
Capcom likes "villains" in the game, and I doubt they'll do anything to fix Wesker. People are going to have to respect his stupidity when he removes the shades. Unless your name is Zero and you can swing without a care in the world, you gotta show some restraint.

I fear his command grab range more than anything else. :|

A Pretty Panda

fuckin' called it, man
Capcom likes "villains" in the game, and I doubt they'll do anything to fix Wesker. People are going to have to respect his stupidity when he removes the shades. Unless your name is Zero and you can swing without a care in the world, you gotta show some restraint.

I fear his command grab range more than anything else. :|

That's what I was thinking. Aren't Doom and Wesker the 2 main bad guys in the paper thin story in this game? Doom of course got the completely stupid hard knockdown on his j.S.

Thor's sloth like mobility makes him pretty lowly, Skrull doesn't do enough meterless damage, but of course Nova is fantastic.
You mean Thor's speed? Thor has good mobility, better than most characters. Mighty Strike has super armor when charged now, and it charges fast. He got a good number of buffs; maybe you just want him to be bad so you can feel good about yourself?

Skrull does sick damage. 750K in his bnb, and he can link multiple hypers to get that to 900K+ for 2 meters. Who cares about meterless damage on a character built to burn meter? I would never try and talk Dormammu down by saying his "meterless damage" isn't good - who cares?

Against any character with a light attack slower than 5 frames, Skrull even has 100% unstoppable tick throws that are completely mindless.

Two things:
-I agree with you somewhat on the issue of people finding the next cheap shit, but it doesn't get much cheaper than doing a phantom dance from good distance for a possible crossup+bonus+damage or simple bonus. It is way easy and the benefits are long lasting compared to something like... charged buster or gravitation spam. There are levels of derp and the glasses are nonsensical derp(at least Phoenix makes sense considering her background).

-This is Mahvel 3 we are talking about. We'll be lucky if we go nine months without an announcement :lol. I'd rather not deal with Phoenix, Wolvie and Wesker styled antics for 70% of the game's life.

They're derp, but they're hardly something to worry about for a number of other, cheaper reasons. They didn't find a super innovative way to make him effective, but eh, I'd rather characters be good than bad, and you can't win em all. Just by virtue of being a Marvel character, he's still kinda dynamic.

I'd honestly only be salty about them if my characters were really bad. Guess I just don't care enough about it (and having a character that can deal with him fairly easily helps too).

If people actually put in time, Wesker will just be another good character. However, first Ultimate tournament and all that jazz.

If he wins EVO on the back of derp and it's Raccoon City all over again, I will eat a veritable feast of crow.

Thor has good movement options via his trijump, airdash, mighty strike so yeah not slow. Issue was all his ground normals unsafe. The charge time being decreased on Mighty Strike/Mighty Smash helps a LOT of his bad matchups since he gains super armor to go through a lot of crap the opponent throws at you.

Thor could end up being B/A tier in the game. Unsure of yet. But he was lower mid in vanilla and now probably upper mid.

Skrull...... no way is he low tier. Unsafe without assists or XF yes but with assists and XF he rips people in half.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom