• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Ultimate Marvel vs. Capcom 3 |OT| of 9 Years Urley

Status
Not open for further replies.
Thor's sloth like mobility makes him pretty lowly, Skrull doesn't do enough meterless damage, but of course Nova is fantastic.

Thor has a surprisingly good mobility, and in fact is one of the scariest characters to encounter in the air, and his j.H is a gdlk divekick-substitute. The only hard part for Thor is opening up since none of his moves are that quick, but his mobility is really awesome.

And Skrull isn't that much of a meterhog at all, his damage output is really good even without it, but that he likes to burn meter doesn't mean he is "low tier" at all. The notion is kinda silly. Like saying Phoenix is bad for literally keeping you from using meter at all and then burning all 5 bars at once LOL.

Thor is definitely not to be underestimated in this game (I'd actually say he'd joined the ranks of actually really viable characters now), and Skrull has already been high tier in vanilla, his buffs only make him better.

Your "low tier team" is no low tier at all.

Sixfortyfive

He who pursues two rabbits gets two rabbits.
Or if Thor manages to touch you he can easily OCV your entire team. Especially since he just hits you/grabs you, combo, hurricane or reset depending on health, then dead char. Have lockdown assist for incoming character and try to set up Mighty Hurricane setup in vanilla. Now fully charged Mighty Strike the incoming char for some nice shenanigans. Gonna block or what?

Either way you are most likely screwed.

Especially with the buffed Mighty Hurricane range.

Skrull/Thor were criminally underplayed in tourneys in vanilla as was Dorm.

Karst, you need to enter in a tourney. Want to see what you Dorm could do and make people go WTF????

Skrull can be really intimidating if he forces you to play defense. All I can think to do against him is RTSD as fast as possible so that he never gets his stuff going.

Skrull is such a beast LOL

Astonishingly, this is not the first "Wesker in crossdressing Darkstalkers garb" pic I've seen.

It's the first I've seen, but I'm not disturbed by it at all. Thank you, internets!

Eh, there were quite a few good Dormammus, and Skrull seemed to slowly pick up, but Ultimate came along before he picked up pace. And well, the old Skrull players still are beasting (see: Huoshen). It was really the same with Felicia, X-23, Spidey, Jill, etc. - characters who were solid or even really good but severely underplayed cause why not play Derperine instead?

Thor, I think he actually was genuinely bad in vanilla, he definitely wasn't Hsien-Ko tier as almost everyone made him out to be, as he had some nasty shit going on, but he wasn't specifically good either. He definitely was on the lower end of the barrel. But his buffs are actually really significant, and I think they'll be enough to make him at least a solid character.

Given enough time, people will actually start to pick him and other underplayed characters like MODOK, Arthur and from the new cast Rocket Raccoon and beast through a tournament with them.
I'm so glad that someone like Royal Flush plays Thor and MODOK (and FlashMetroid playing the big head), eventually they'll be getting that big upset success with weird team and everyone will start playing and taking these characters seriously.

Speaking of Rocket, what‘s a good gameplan for him? Right now he‘s just mostly an assist for my team that dies too fast from random hits :|

I‘m sure a beam assist could help, but closest I have is Cold Star and Chris‘ machine gun.

They're derp, but they're hardly something to worry about for a number of other, cheaper reasons. They didn't find a super innovative way to make him effective, but eh, I'd rather characters be good than bad, and you can't win em all. Just by virtue of being a Marvel character, he's still kinda dynamic.

I'd honestly only be salty about them if my characters were really bad. Guess I just don't care enough about it (and having a character that can deal with him fairly easily helps too).

If people actually put in time, Wesker will just be another good character. However, first Ultimate tournament and all that jazz.

If he wins EVO on the back of derp and it's Raccoon City all over again, I will eat a veritable feast of crow.
Weskah1.jpg

Honestly, if I hit someone with Skrull, there's a good chance the rest of the match is over. He just has so many setups that are so good; he just has problems getting that first hit in. Yesterday I had like a 95% guess rate on Elastic Slam resets with him, hahaha.

Oh, and do not click this lest you wish to be disturbed:
http://26.media.tumblr.com/tumblr_lqg759YUnV1qcrr8ao1_500.jpg
How did you ru-

nevermind

Speaking of Rocket, what‘s a good gameplan for him? Right now he‘s just mostly an assist for my team that dies too fast from random hits :|

I‘m sure a beam assist could help, but closest I have is Cold Star and Chris‘ machine gun.

1. Call out Cold Star
2. Teleport behind opponent
3. Mix opponent up while they are locked down by Ammy
4. ???
5. PROFIT!
6. Repeat 1.-5.

He usually gets blown up before I can attempt that, and I do try to go for it anyways -.- Hmm, in theory, how good is his H teleport for mixing them up while blocking Cold Star? I‘ve been wanting to try.

You can cover yourself by putting out traps and preventing the opponent to come in. Like, call a log trap, then put out a couple other traps and flame carpet. Maybe have Chris use the grenade instead of the machine gun, too, for even more lulz on the screen.

Skrull can be really intimidating if he forces you to play defense. All I can think to do against him is RTSD as fast as possible so that he never gets his stuff going.

Astonishingly, this is not the first "Wesker in crossdressing Darkstalkers garb" pic I've seen.
How unfortunate for you! When playing Skrull, I throw out random Orbital Grudges to make my opponent feel iffy about approaching.

Karst, you need to enter in a tourney. Want to see what you Dorm could do and make people go WTF????
I think Dormammu was played about the right amount in Vanilla. All of his bad matchups were the S tier characters aside from Phoenix, so it makes sense that he would drop off. He has better answers to them now, though.

I was in the GAF tournament! Maybe if there's a big Chicago tournament in the future I'll sign up. First I need to figure out my team. :-/

Besides, I don't think I'm anything special. Undoubtedly above average, but it's not like I could hang with the likes of JWong, ChrisG, etc.

How did you ru-

nevermind
GFAQs post! :p

enzo_gt

tagged by Blackace
That DJ Huoshen Orbital Drudge kill at NEC today was the most hype part of singles. It was a complete "FUCK YOU STOP PUSHING BUTTONS" situation, and I loved every bit of it, especially considering his Skrull was on a roll and the crowd and everyone were getting hype. Love watching him play.

EDIT: Karst... Wtf at that tumblr pic.

Xevren

That DJ Huoshen Orbital Drudge kill at NEC today was the most hype part of singles. It was a complete "FUCK YOU STOP PUSHING BUTTONS" situation, and I loved every bit of it, especially considering his Skrull was on a roll and the crowd and everyone were getting hype. Love watching him play.

I really loved the crowd yelling INFERNO! every time he used it.

I think you should pick up Thor.....

He can zone(aka space control with his mighty strike and mighty smash) and fits the criteria of good guys you like to play. Who are more noble and blah blah.

As well as yomi.

Plus Thormammu we all know is extremely scary. And imagine all the meter he builds for Dormmy!

I take no responsibility for my actions! :-O

The awesome thing about Orbital Grudge is that since no one plays Skrull, no one knows:
1) That it has super armor.
2) That there's a follow-up that I'm going to frame trap you with that goes 3/4 screen and causes a wall bounce.

Karst I thought you told me you weren't that Darkstalkers fanatic I remember
You are correct - why do you bring this up? I didn't find that picture, someone on GFAQs did. I just thought it would amuse the fine folks on this forum. Maybe I want you all to share in my suffering...

I really loved the crowd yelling INFERNO! every time he used it.
My favorite part is when he says "HE LOV" - oh wait.

Biggest nerf in Ultimate, no doubt.

I think you should pick up Thor.....

He can zone(aka space control with his mighty strike and mighty smash) and fits the criteria of good guys you like to play. Who are more noble and blah blah.

As well as yomi.

Plus Thormammu we all know is extremely scary. And imagine all the meter he builds for Dormmy!
No way, Thor is the opposite of my "good guy" conception that I like to play as!

Thor IS fun to play, and you know I agree with you that he works great with Dormammu. The thing is that I'm 100% set on Morrigan as my second character, and Thor/Dormammu/Morrigan is a horrible, horrible team, haha.

smurfx

get some go again
DJ Huoshen is becoming one of my favs to watch. i love that he plays 2 characters we hardly ever see in tournaments. you don't really see much of taskmaster in the east coast either.

Zissou

I was working on typing out some thoughts on playing randoms in ranked to help beginners get going online, but it seems like the thread has already been boiled down to the mahvel regulars, so it might not be that helpful :(. Honestly, it might not even be helpful to begin with, since I'm not very good at the game! Regardless, I think it'd be a waste not to post it and at least get some feedback, so here it is- playing marvel online, a handy guide to bullshit:

It’s important to recognize bullshit immediately! People have said in the past that mahvel runs on bullshit, and those people are right. Bullshit, especially online, tends to be a fairly small set of strategies which you’ll encounter frequently. You’ll have just a couple seconds to think of how to deal with your opponent’s bullshit before the match starts, so it’s important to have a decent bullshit database in your memory. As you encounter more bullshit, this database will expand. Every time you lose to bullshit, take a moment to think back on what you can do to counter it better next time, and store that info away in your mental database. Good bullshit will always be good, but online bullshit is often one-dimensional and can be dealt with pretty consistently. Let’s look at some examples!

Example one: You see your opponent has Hsien-Ko on point with two other characters. You instantly recognize (because Hsien-Ko is such ass that there is no other reason to have her on a team) that their bullshit is that they will golden armor up Hsien-Ko as soon as possible, and then hard tag her into the third slot and try to ride her invincible assist to victory. The best way to prevent bullshit will always vary from team to team, but my strategy is to get on her ass immediately when the match starts. Regardless of type, the best way to deal with bullshit is to never let them get it going in the first place. Outside of this specific set-up, Hsien-Ko is ass and golden armor has start-up, so I rush her down, which will hopefully prevent her from ever getting the hyper off, and if I’m lucky, she might burn a bar on it only to be knocked out of it on start-up and be left meter-less. If she somehow gets it off, I’ll be close-by so that I can punish the inevitable raw tag. Snapping her in means she has to set it up all over again. A good player will wait and DHC to safely get her assist out, but this is online, so you don’t really have to worry about that.

Example two: This isn’t bullshit really, but I went up against somebody the other night, and they were running Iron Fist/X-23/Wesker. It was important that I recognized two things: one- they didn’t have too much bullshit- they pretty much only had xf3 dark wesker, and two- this team was highly susceptible to bullshit- he had no projectile assist or reliable way to get in at all! I played the lamest possible keep-away and killed off both Iron Fist and X-23 without losing a character, and built up plenty meter to fight dark wesker at the end in the process.

Other examples: Your opponent has an anchor like Hawkeye/Akuma/Dr. Strange with a highly damaging near-instant hyper made all the more dangerous with xf3. 90% of the time, when they get down to this last character, they will spend every last bar of meter they have as quickly as possible on random hypers, so absolutely do not call assists until x-factor runs out, and jump/super-jump around a bit while blocking to get them to burn their meters as soon as possible. Also, be aware of good/bad match-ups and change the order of your team to avoid bad ones and take advantage of good ones.

I feel like building your team according to a basic checklist is good, and having the checklist in the front of your mind will allow you to pick apart flaws in the opposing team to exploit. You should build your team with things in mind like:

-Can you deal with a dedicated rush down team?
-Can you deal with a dedicated zoning team?
-Can you deal with ghost rider S spam/wesker jump back gun/vajra assist/etc. annoying bullshit?
-Does your team fall apart completely if you lose a character?
-Does your team build sufficient meter to do its thing?
-Do you have a way to use x-factor/meter at any point you need if you really need to in order to seal the deal against a troublesome/last character?
-Can you punish assists easily?
-Does your anchor have the capability to make a solid comeback? do they have a lot of bad match-ups? can they fight respectably without assists/meter? can they abuse x-factor and also fight without it if they need to?

A list from FlyingVe, a smart poster on the srk forums (spelling errors are his):
I try to design all my teams with a couple of tenants (in order of importance) in mind:
1)They are about the point character. You team will never be stronger then when you have all 3 guys alive. Your better optamizing that then what happens after.
2)That said, I want to make sure that the second character gets sufficient support from the 3rd. Good example are Strider can make Vergil strings safe and Spencer likes Drones just as much as Nova.
3)The order should function at an acceptable (not optimum) level if it's F'd up.
4)It's nice if you anchor can do the whole XF3 BS thing. Strider is great at this, Sent... is okay.
5) it's preferable if you point character can do something for your others. (e.g. on a Zero/Viper team, Zero builds alot of meter for Viper to use when it's her turn).

Pick apart the opposing team with the same mindset with which you built yours. Most people online have questionable/poorly-thought-out teams, and hitting them where they’re weakest is the best way to achieve victory. If they lack in ways to keep you off of them, rush that shit down, even if it’s not generally your game plan. If they have no good ways to get in, lame that shit out. Your team should have good bullshit of it’s own, and if you recognize that they have no way to effectively deal with your stuff, abuse the shit out of it. If their team is based entirely around a single character, spend meter/x-factor/whatever resources necessary to kill that one character so that their team disintegrates. If they have difficulty punishing assists, spam the hell out of ‘em. If they have a shitty anchor, there’s no reason not to blow x-factor early to kill their second character the moment you touch them. If their team only works well in a specific order, fuck up the order. As you do this more and more, it will get easier to quickly notice possible flaws to exploit in the opposing team, and having some kind of match-up strategy figured out before the match even starts can help you win much more consistently. It's also a fun mental exercise to try to predict what they'll do before the match even starts, and more often than not, you'll find that you're right.

You can cover yourself by putting out traps and preventing the opponent to come in. Like, call a log trap, then put out a couple other traps and flame carpet. Maybe have Chris use the grenade instead of the machine gun, too, for even more lulz on the screen.

I think his traps are too slow to cover himself without being full screen away though, and if I set them there they'll never run into them :T

I'm actually definitely going to stick with Thor, and I really want to learn MODOK. I'm still not sure on the third team member, I'm thinking about several characters as anchor... Skrull, Taskmaster, Doom, Strange, Dormammu, maybe Hawkeye... So many choices! D:
Any suggestions?

Also, I think I want to pick up Jill, she's so fun to play! But she's kinda like Viper or Firebrand to me, and I don't want to build too many teams... God, why is half the cast in this game such a blast to play? >_<

LOL Thor recommendations.

Thor isn't half-bad in Ultimate. And he's a blast to play. And he needs more rep. No reason not to suggest him.

I was working on typing out some thoughts on playing randoms in ranked to help beginners get going online, but it seems like the thread has already been boiled down to the mahvel regulars, so it might not be that helpful :(. Honestly, it might not even be helpful to begin with, since I'm not very good at the game! Regardless, I think it'd be a waste not to post it and at least get some feedback, so here it is- playing marvel online, a handy guide to bullshit:
Well done.

True. True. Damn it. I HAVE NO IDEA!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

What about......... Doom?

*is out of ideas*
With Doom, I just feel like I can't ever make myself felt outside of superjump into Photon Shot followed by a df air dash attack - it's rather linear. Note that I'm not saying Doom is linear, just that without assists as a point character, he rather is.

I'm pretty set on Skrull or Akuma right now. Both of them love and can use excess meter and can do reasonably well alone. I was skeptical about Akuma, but the fact that he can throw two fireballs per jump is a huge help and gives him safe solo approaches, he can delay pretty well and make my opponent consider whether he wants to risk calling assists, and once he's in, he has pretty good priority. Plus, with 950K bnbs, everything dies once he touches it aside from the heavies.

LOL Thor recommendations.
Underrated character.

I'm actually definitely going to stick with Thor, and I really want to learn MODOK. I'm still not sure on the third team member, I'm thinking about several characters as anchor... Skrull, Taskmaster, Doom, Strange, Dormammu, maybe Hawkeye... So many choices! D:
Any suggestions?
In my experience with Thor, nothing is more important to him than a good horizontal projectile assist, and by projectile I do not mean a beam. So, I would consider Taskmaster, Doom w/ rocks, or Hawkeye for your third.

Crazy idea: call MODOK Shield Barrier assist during your blockstring with Thor. Assuming you're blocked, just chill by the shield and get free command grabs since Thor is invulnerable thanks to the shield?

In my experience with Thor, nothing is more important to him than a good horizontal projectile assist, and by projectile I do not mean a beam. So, I would consider Taskmaster, Doom w/ rocks, or Hawkeye for your third.

Crazy idea: call MODOK Shield Barrier assist during your blockstring with Thor. Assuming you're blocked, just chill by the shield and get free command grabs since Thor is invulnerable thanks to the shield?

I was thinking about using Hidden Missile or the vertical scatter shot assist of Hawkeye's to cover airspace while flying in with Thor, but the Barrier/Horizontal Projectile assist combination sounds really awesome, thinking about it. Barrier, Molecular Shield or Bolts of Balthakk to aid lockdown/blockstring (in fact, rocks sounds crazy if used in conjunction with barrier lock! LOL), and go for c.H-cancelled command grab. WIN.

enzo_gt

tagged by Blackace
Thor needed a hammer throw and he never got one. Not even for gameplay reasons, he's fucking Thor and doesn't throw his hammer, wat.

Other than that, he's far too weird to play for me. Not even sure if I can call it clunky, but the pace at which you gotta play him is unnatural to me. But alas, still every week I give him yet another shot and end up disappointed.

With Thor, yeah a good horizontal projectile assist is great and a good lockdown. Try to make them A)block or B) jump. Air is his playground and he LOVVVVVVEEESSSS it when people block him which what makes his Mighty Strike/Smash buff so delicious since charge M. Smash H is + on block and charged Mighty Strikes are + on block.

Anyway, Solar. Here ya go.

http://shoryuken.com/forum/index.ph...ket-raccoon-video-thread.148994/#post-6153536

That is the midscreen one. Viper mainers have trouble with that loop.

By the way, I'm really sad that, once again, my favorite character ends up almost unplayable for me. I don't think I'll play Rocket Raccoon, he's too weird for me. D:

Thor needed a hammer throw and he never got one. Not even for gameplay reasons, he's fucking Thor and doesn't throw his hammer, wat.

It's a bit weird they'd give him projectiles based on lightning but he seldom uses his hammer generally, and it's disappointing they wouldn't add his trademark projectile, but honestly, I'm good with Thor's moveset, speaking from a comic fan standpoint.

Other than that, he's far too weird to play for me. Not even sure if I can call it clunky, but the pace at which you gotta play him is unnatural to me. But alas, still every week I give him yet another shot and end up disappointed.

He's a pretty archetypical grappler in terms of gameplay, just really Mahvel'd up. Where Haggar is pretty much Zangief on steroids, Thor is everything MvC represents stuffed into a grappler. You have this slow, heavy hitting guy who can shoot beams and fly, LOL.

I dunno, though - usually, I don't get along well with grapplers, but I believe to be actually somewhat decent with Thor. Thinking about it, he might be one of my best characters. I used him against a pretty good player here, offline, and I usually killed two characters of his with Thor alone before he finally was able to kill him off. And I didn't even abuse his Mighty Hurricane that much! XD

I was thinking about using Hidden Missile or the vertical scatter shot assist of Hawkeye's to cover airspace while flying in with Thor, but the Barrier/Horizontal Projectile assist combination sounds really awesome, thinking about it. Barrier, Molecular Shield or Bolts of Balthakk to aid lockdown/blockstring (in fact, rocks sounds crazy if used in conjunction with barrier lock! LOL), and go for c.H-cancelled command grab. WIN.
I think that's a great plan. I ran Hidden Missiles with Thor for a few weeks, and while it's not bad, it's also not great. Thor is already kind of coming down from the vertical angle, which means your opponent wants to shift left/right to avoid you and counter. In a sense, part of the threat of Hidden Missiles is circumvented by Thor's natural playstyle. That's why I feel the horizontal assist is far more effective.

I actually think his rushdown feels a lot like Dormammu's. I was amazed by how natural he felt to play after so many Dormammu hours.

Clearly Top 8 wasn't good enough for Ghost Rider rather than vice-versa

he has to have some of the most brainless armor-free 600K combos in the game
Tell that to F.Champ. Oh wait, he didn't make it to Top 8 STAY FREE

He throws his hammer during his grab super!

I actually think his rushdown feels a lot like Dormammu's. I was amazed by how natural he felt to play after so many Dormammu hours.

...wat?
Fuck, I'll have to try Dormammu now. <_<

I never really touched him a lot... but if you say he feels like Thor, and I feel REALLY comfy with Thor (and his rushdown), I'll give him a shot.

Thanks for that helpful post Zizzou. I'm still learning the game and having trouble getting in, and when I get in I drop everything. :lol My record online is something like 2-23, and probably half of my losses are to Vergil/Dante/itdoesntmastter attack spammers. That and lag totally killing what little execution I do have....

Thor in vanilla just had no way on point to keep the REAALLLLLLLYYYYYY insanely fast rushers at bay without solid assists or Haggar going get the fuck on the floor.

This is why the charged buffs are sooooo good. Means he can charge at the beginning, so rush at him at your own risk.

And Thor/Dormmy do have similarities in the fact that there jumping normals are great for some nice open ups.

Dormmy due to the absurd hitboxes and Thor due to the crazy hitstun on them that pretty much set up either overhead or grab.

*ran a vanilla team of Thor, Dormmy, Haggar*

...wat?
Fuck, I'll have to try Dormammu now. <_<

I never really touched him a lot... but if you say he feels like Thor, and I feel REALLY comfy with Thor (and his rushdown), I'll give him a shot.
Thor's trijump j.L is basically Dormammu's trijump j.L, and just like Thor is links into c.L for a mix-up.

Thor's j.H is just like Dormammu's j.H and j.S - you want to come down on your opponent at a slight angle and cross him/her up.

Dormammu doesn't really have an equivalent for Thor's j.S, though. Their j.Ms are similar, at least in the sense that they have a lot of horizontal range and aren't really used that often for rushing.

Solune

If you're picking Thor, you might as well Pick Iron Man. If you even play at an intermediate level you will know that Thor has problems with projectiles. While he has a projectile he will still lose in a zoning fight. The easy answer to that is "pick an assist" that covers him, but that's NOT how you should be picking an assist anyways in the sense that your battery or anchor is merely there to cover your point character..

That's not to say you SHOULDN'T pick him. If you're able to make him work, more power to you. Pick who you want to play, but I wouldn't in any state of mind recommend characters I KNOW have weaknesses that have difficulty in both getting in AND in keep away.

Didn't you say you'd play him no matter how he turned out?

In terms of tier, yes... I would've played him if he ended up low tier, but... I simply can't play this character at all. =/
I'm terrible at the game to begin with, so a character like that is even more difficult to make work for me. Really, it's the same with me and MODOK, I'm just really determined again to learn him after seeing FlashMetroid and RoyalFlush's play.
Maybe once I start being at least decent, I might try to pick him up again.

If you're picking Thor, you might as well Pick Iron Man.

These 2 characters pretty much are nothing alike, and I don't get why you would draw that comparison at all.

If you even play at an intermediate level you will know that Thor has problems with projectiles. While he has a projectile he will still lose in a zoning fight.

So have other characters. And so do other characters. Thor's beam is actually one of the most durable beams in the game, and while he definitely isn't going to win a firefight with it, he's not gonna be locked down all the time with someone spamming projectiles. Not to mention his really strong mobility; how about flying up or using Mighty Smash's super armor instead of walking up?

The easy answer to that is "pick an assist" that covers him, but that's NOT how you should be picking an assist anyways in the sense that your battery or anchor is merely there to cover your point character..

Uhm. There's a LOT of people who pick at least one character as an assist character in order to support the point character. You think Viscant is a bad or stupid player cause he picked Iron Man, Haggar or Tron for the assists in vanilla? Cause I sure as hell would object to that.

That's not to say you SHOULDN'T pick him. If you're able to make him work, more power to you. Pick who you want to play, but I wouldn't in any state of mind recommend characters I KNOW have weaknesses that have difficulty in both getting in AND in keep away.

Thor has actually not as much trouble in getting in as you believe he does, and his keepaway does the job well enough so he can work his way in.

I really think you're talking about vanilla Thor, and not Ultimate Thor, but that you're not familiar with the character in general.

Thor's trijump j.L is basically Dormammu's trijump j.L, and just like Thor is links into c.L for a mix-up.

Thor's j.H is just like Dormammu's j.H and j.S - you want to come down on your opponent at a slight angle and cross him/her up.

Dormammu doesn't really have an equivalent for Thor's j.S, though. Their j.Ms are similar, at least in the sense that they have a lot of horizontal range and aren't really used that often for rushing.

I'll definitely be giving him a shot, then... I was playing vanilla with someone around my level the other day, and fucking around with random characters... I actually did quite well with Cabeza del Fuego, which surprised me cause I never really played him in-depth. Your words just enforce my thought process here.

Thor loses to keepaway?

He doesn't. He has the strongest beam in the game with a fast startup in Ultimate. With the ability of his flight, the only keepaway char he should have trouble with is Hawkeye and Trish.... not going into Zero/Viper.

Why they made it where you could duck his beam. Otherwise, try to touch me.

Vanilla Thor had problem against fast rushdown but that weakness has been weakened.

IMO Thor is the best heavy char in Ultimate. Either him or Hulk.

If you're picking Thor, you might as well Pick Iron Man. If you even play at an intermediate level you will know that Thor has problems with projectiles. While he has a projectile he will still lose in a zoning fight. The easy answer to that is "pick an assist" that covers him, but that's NOT how you should be picking an assist anyways in the sense that your battery or anchor is merely there to cover your point character.
Saying "if you pick Thor, you might as well pick Iron Man" is ridiculous. Iron Man is not a grappler - it's a completely different playstyle.

In terms of tier, yes... I would've played him if he ended up low tier, but... I simply can't play this character at all. =/
I'm terrible at the game to begin with, so a character like that is even more difficult to make work for me. Really, it's the same with me and MODOK, I'm just really determined again to learn him after seeing FlashMetroid and RoyalFlush's play.
Maybe once I start being at least decent, I might try to pick him up again.
Stick with what you love, unless you really don't like RR's playstyle.

IMO Thor is the best heavy char in Ultimate. Either him or Hulk.
I think they're all pretty good. Armored Gamma Charge scares the crap out of me. It's a bit early to judge Nemesis, but he looks solid. Sentinel might, ironically, be the worst of the heavies.

Stick with what you love, unless you really don't like RR's playstyle

Yea, that's exactly my problem... I really don't get along with Rocky's playstyle at all. This hybrid of keepaway and mix-up character is just blowing my mind, and I can't really concentrate enough on the opponent when playing as him. >_<

I think they're all pretty good. Armored Gamma Charge scares the crap out of me. It's a bit early to judge Nemesis, but he looks solid. Sentinel might, ironically, be the worst of the heavies.

I'd oppose and say Haggar is the worst "heavy type" of character, since Sentinel's better alone for his universal use of the assist, while Lariat has been worsened quite a bit. Or maybe Tron (which sucks cause she is like, my second favorite "heavy" after Thor). It's either between her or Haggar, I'd say.
Nemesis' toolset looks too solid to be actually bad, I think, his command grab range is just ridiculous. Thor, Hulk and She-Hulk (despite the nerf) all are pretty good and I think we'll see more of these 4 characters as time passes. Not as much She-Hulk as we did in vanilla, though.

Before anyone says "if nemesis is so good why combofiend drop him?", I can say that the explanation is rather easy: Nemesis simply does not fit into Combofiend's team. And, to be frank, I was actually wondering how long it'd take for Combofiend to realize that Nemesis doesn't work well with Spencer and Hawkeye.

I'd oppose and say Haggar is the worst "heavy type" of character, since Sentinel's better alone for his universal use of the assist, while Lariat has been worsened quite a bit. Or maybe Tron (which sucks cause she is like, my second favorite "heavy" after Thor). It's either between her or Haggar, I'd say.
Nemesis' toolset looks too solid to be actually bad, I think, his command grab range is just ridiculous. Thor, Hulk and She-Hulk (despite the nerf) all are pretty good and I think we'll see more of these 4 characters as time passes. Not as much She-Hulk as we did in vanilla, though.

Before anyone says "if nemesis is so good why combofiend drop him?", I can say that the explanation is rather easy: Nemesis simply does not fit into Combofiend's team. And, to be frank, I was actually wondering how long it'd take for Combofiend to realize that Nemesis doesn't work well with Spencer and Hawkeye.
Agreed on the Nemesis note. Double Lariat is still monstrous, and it's now relatively safe on point because anyone mashing c.L to punish the whiff can get nailed by his Rapid Fire Fist, which is now invincible on startup. He gets full combos from his throws now with the proper assist, too. Those are some good changes in tradeoff for 2 frames of vulnerability on his assist. I think Haggar is an underrated point character.

You may be right about Tron, though. She's likely the worst of the heavies.

On a side note, dear lord does She-Hulk have a man face in the victory screen.

Edit:
http://www.gamespot.com/pc/action/s...ent-scores-more-than-2-million-unique-viewers

Not to mention s.HxGamma Charge has 3 points of armor.

MWAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAAHHAAHAH!

But Thor just less worse matchups IMO.

Nemesis armor is too delayed IMO and that hurts him. Haggar unsure of, as for Tron/She Hulk.

Sent wouldn't even see play if not for his freaking assist.

Solune

These 2 characters pretty much are nothing alike, and I don't get why you would draw that comparison at all.

Obviously the joke went over some heads.
So have other characters. And so do other characters. Thor's beam is actually one of the most durable beams in the game, and while he definitely isn't going to win a firefight with it, he's not gonna be locked down all the time with someone spamming projectiles. Not to mention his really strong mobility; how about flying up or using Mighty Smash's super armor instead of walking up?
I know that Thor's projectile is there to balance his moveset, but if he's forced into a position (fullscreen) he will surely lose a firefight, while being durable has a large startup, for other versions other than L.
Uhm. There's a LOT of people who pick at least one character as an assist character in order to support the point character. You think Viscant is a bad or stupid player cause he picked Iron Man, Haggar or Tron for the assists in vanilla? Cause I sure as hell would object to that.
While I said you SHOULDN'T, that doesn't mean it doesn't work. But it makes a whole lot more sense to pick an assist that COMPLIMENTS your team as opposed to basing your game around it. Why is it when he has Tron or Haggar last he's fucked(in Vanilla)
Thor has actually not as much trouble in getting in as you believe he does, and his keepaway does the job well enough so he can work his way in.

I really think you're talking about vanilla Thor, and not Ultimate Thor, but that you're not familiar with the character in general.
From the experience I've had with Thor players I'll have to disagree but you are right in that I do not have enough familiarity with him.

Thor loses to keepaway?

He doesn't. He has the strongest beam in the game with a fast startup in Ultimate. With the ability of his flight, the only keepaway char he should have trouble with is Hawkeye and Trish.... not going into Zero/Viper.
If you have PSN, I'd like to go against your Thor team with my zoning team for some anecdotal evidence and get that "experience" I am missing by facing Ultimate Thors.

Saying "if you pick Thor, you might as well pick Iron Man" is ridiculous. Iron Man is not a grappler - it's a completely different playstyle.
Again joke, whiff, overhead

It depends. I will play the game heavily over christmas break but currently during finals week. I shouldn't even be on here.
But whatever. So give me time to get execution back up and I will play.

Thor can play keepaway*random team of Pool/Trish/Thor with some friends for casuals*

and the guy had to use XF3 due to the beam spam/peekaboo/ trigger spam.

Yeah. Went cheap for fun.

But Hawkeye BEATS everyone at keepaway except for certain chars who beat nearly everyone if played to there fullest potential*Dante, Viper, Zero*

Is Thor godlike at keepaway? No but he doesn't lose to it outright. He can manage it better than several. I mean, it isn't like Haggar.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom