• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Ultimate Marvel vs. Capcom 3 |OT| of 9 Years Urley

Status
Not open for further replies.

enzo_gt

tagged by Blackace
I just can't view something that allows for "LMHS MMHS = dead character" to be a net positive for the game anymore. I just can't. I tried. I always liked the concept and the applications but Capcom has demonstrated that they have no intention of ever reigning in the boosts so that it ends up being more of a resource you have to manage intelligently and less of a crutch. I'm just sick of it.
Whoa whoa whoa, let's not get outrageous here, you have to stick an OTG gunshot in there and the relaunch.

which isn't otherwise possible anyways lolololol

I pretty much dislike watching Vergil in general on streams or anything. All of them are fraudulent, combos lack swag, lack damage, everything is herp derp rapid slash into DT, or assist + teleport. I enjoy watching Wesker, and pretty much every other member of the cast more than Vergil really.

Then again, I don't really enjoy watching Vergil combos in the first place. They look so freaking awkward.
Heh, whenever I use Vergil I don't ever dash other than when Vergil is off screen mid-combo. He does a really good menacing walk into outrageous combos. Just people seem to like going spastic with him in the same way they do with Wesker. Which is silly, because the only way Wesker gets away with it is because he's major safe on everything.

Vergil, Iron Fist and Ghost Rider is the most fun team ever. So Stylish.

Hey Karst, what kind of assist would you recommend for Dorm? I'm not sure whether to put him on point or anchor either. Since you're the resident Dormington, I thought I'd ask you. :D

vg260

I dont think X-Factor is an issue but thats another whole argument.

I do think if Wesker gets hit with the nerf stick, complainers will just move on and whine about Dr. Doom, or Spencer o the next over used strong character.

In the case of Wesker, they just need to remove that sunglasses buff, as it was a completely extraneous and tacked on buff that was absolutely unwarranted. Then let it breathe. I'm still baffled why they thought he needed that on top of still being a top character.

The only things Wesker would need in terms of nerfing is indeed the glasses and maybe the random crossup from Maximum Wesker. Otherwise, he's perfect.

Kimosabae

Banned
Has anyone talked about the fact that Dr. Strange's idle stance has specific frames that count as airborne and will cause certain lows to whiff (Dante's cr. L)?

Azure J

I pretty much dislike watching Vergil in general on streams or anything. All of them are fraudulent, combos lack swag, lack damage, everything is herp derp rapid slash into DT, or assist + teleport. I enjoy watching Wesker, and pretty much every other member of the cast more than Vergil really.

Then again, I don't really enjoy watching Vergil combos in the first place. They look so freaking awkward.

The way I'm seeing it, Vergil is gonna evolve into more of a "lockdown + punish" character. When people start using more Sword formations instead of Sparderper Slashing into Spiral Swords (which scales the shit out of combos thus making a player need to do more to finish up) and using his range more for efficient out-pokes (don't know a better way to say this) and the like, then his technical merit will come to light.

He really is the Marth of Marvel. :lol

Has anyone talked about the fact that Dr. Strange's idle stance has specific frames that count as airborne and will cause certain lows to whiff (Dante's cr. L)?

Wait, wha--?

This is shades of Elena moving the screen back and forth while idling in Third Strike. :lol

Looking at Niitsumas twitter responses theres balancing involved, and yes i believe we need this game to breathe, hell i kinda think Vanilla probably could have used time to breathe too.
Looking at Niitsuma's responses, it looks like balancing is not involved:
I was recently watching NEC 12, and isn't Wesker way too strong? 7 of the Top 8 players used Wesker... by the way, what about a patch? - Queza01

Niitsuma: A difficult problem. We've already started working on innumerable things, and getting it out by the end of the year is hard enough.

That sounds like a "I don't have time to deal with that right now" response. Besides, Eidolon (or whatever his name is) told us we'd get a day 1 patch probably, so it looks like they had some things they meant to implement anyway.

Making Wesker less Wesker will just make people not use Wesker. See Jean.
Sounds awesome!

cuz this is the way my grandpappy used to play his fightan games.

He had to wait FIFTEEN YEARS for a sequel alone. These whipper snappers can't wait fifteen days without asking for a patch.
No shit, right?

Hey Karst, what kind of assist would you recommend for Dorm? I'm not sure whether to put him on point or anchor either. Since you're the resident Dormington, I thought I'd ask you. :D
99% of the time, Dark Hole. It's mediocre, but his other two assists are downright terrible in most circumstances.

Because they needed to give him something after nerfing his gun/life/rhino charge.
Except they didn't.

99% of the time, Dark Hole. It's mediocre, but his other two assists are downright terrible in most circumstances.

You misunderstood - not faulting you for it since my statement was kinda ambiguous LOL. I meant what assists would complement Dormammu, and where would you recommend me putting him.

You misunderstand. I meant what assists would complement Dormammu, and where would you recommend me putting him.
Ah. Well, the Dormammu Guide on SRK has a list of assists and things I have found for him. I don't like to create teams for people - I feel that's a personal art. If you're having trouble deciding between options, then I'm glad to help you reason them out, though.

Not anything new, really. Some characters can dash under Magneto and Storm, can't they?
Not to my knowledge. The inverse is true though, and they can dash over some characters.

Ah. Well, the Dormammu Guide on SRK has a list of assists and things I have found for him. I don't like to create teams for people - I feel that's a personal art. If you're having trouble deciding between options, then I'm glad to help you reason them out, though.

I'm less asking about you creating my team, but rather about what kind of assists benefit Dorm most - like if you say "Yea, a beam is definitely helping him", I'll consider a character with a beam assist, etc.

Arguable. By the end of Vanilla Wesker might have fallen off S tier anyways, giving him a bost, keeps him up there. (Gun Shot/Life nerfs were fine, Rhino Charge nerf not nececary)
Why the hell do we need to maintain the status of S tier characters? The very definition of an S tier character is great tools in every possible category and it shit all over Vanilla.

The concept of S tier characters needs to die in a fire. Moar Dorms, Dooms and Felicias. Less Weskers, Phoenix, and Wolverines plz.

Arguable. By the end of Vanilla Wesker might have fallen off S tier anyways, giving him a bost, keeps him up there. (Gun Shot/Life nerfs were fine, Rhino Charge nerf not nececary)
As I've said, the Rhino Charge nerf was a bad idea, just because it was the only part of playing Wesker that required thought. It's a terrible idea to remove something that complicates one's decision making process - that's what makes a character interesting. No tournament results suggest that he was falling from S tier in Vanilla. At most, it seems that the people who claim he would have are just acting on assumption. Wesker gained staying power over time, he didn't lose it.

I'm almost positive Deadpool could.
You know, you are right. I forgot about that.

I'm less asking about you creating my team, but rather about what kind of assists benefit Dorm most - like if you say "Yea, a beam is definitely helping him", I'll consider a character with a beam assist, etc.
Not in any particular order:
1) Beam
2) Screen filler
3) Meter assist
4) Relaunch assist (not necessarily an OTG, since Dormammu does that by himself)

Syntsui

Is the netcode for this game decent?? I will buy the PS3 version and the online mode is the only way to play this ''competitively''.

Oldschoolgamer

The physical form of blasphemy

It happens when he does it to Storm as well. Confused the hell out of me when I saw it happen. Lol

Kadey

Mrs. Harvey
I say it's the best yet. It's worse than SFIV simply because one frame links and certain shenanigans cannot be done online while things are more forgiving in UMVC3. Netcode is better for me. I think I've had one actual laggy match out of like 20-30 or so.

PSN is still going on!

Going to make a new lobby because of FIVE stinking idlers.

http://www.twitch.tv/kadeybaybe

Played one match. Was doing good. Lag spike. Game over.

mr. puppy

Banned
any Cap players here?

I wanna try a Wolverine/Cap/Hawkeye but I have no idea if there is any point at all for selecting an assist for Cap. Stars&stripes is projectile invulnerable and then Cap stands there for 10 seconds. I guess Cap/Wolv/Hawk would be better so I can barrage during somersault, but even that is kinda crappy

DarkoMaledictus

Tier Whore
Looking at Niitsumas twitter responses theres balancing involved, and yes i believe we need this game to breathe, hell i kinda think Vanilla probably could have used time to breathe too.

That's a bad thing?????

smurfx

get some go again
just hit 5th lord. haven't been able to play too much lately but i'm making all the time i can make for marvel count.

HardRojo

The problem with Wesker is that he has so many tools and easy combos that even someone who spends a day training with him will pose a threat when using X Factor since it'll basically be ABCS BBCS OTG Follow up Super = Dead character...

any Cap players here?

I wanna try a Wolverine/Cap/Hawkeye but I have no idea if there is any point at all for selecting an assist for Cap. Stars&stripes is projectile invulnerable and then Cap stands there for 10 seconds. I guess Cap/Wolv/Hawk would be better so I can barrage during somersault, but even that is kinda crappy

I've started using Cap, but I put him at point. I just use the shield charge thingy as his assist. It feels like it has the most utility to me when he is not in.

I love playing Cap at point and doing raw DP's when I feel a dive kick or something coming in. It almost feels like SF, hehe. I also play with Doom Rocks assist. So I also throw out charging stars right after calling out rocks if I think they are just hitting buttons at range. Seems like he recovers while last rock is hitting at the right ranges, so it feels kinda safe. Don't quote me on that though.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom