• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Ultimate Marvel vs. Capcom 3 |OT| of 9 Years Urley

Status
Not open for further replies.
Finally got 500,000 points in arcade mode, man that was boring. Just need about 15 missions to get the 480 missions completed trophy then its just online crap. Once I'm done with that I can completely focus on bulding a team and get to some serious training. Most likely going to go with Dormammu/Trish/Hawkeye for my main team. I love all 3 characters and lvl 3 x factor hawkeye is pretty insane. Also really want to build a Phoenix Wright team but thats gonna take some time. I feel he needs a good anti air assist to work with Maya shield so he can get that evidence quickly and safely.

*edit* Holy shit im not a junior member anymore! time to post some scans so I can get dat temporary ban ;)

D

Deleted member 13876

Unconfirmed Member
Who did you use? I can barely break 200k.

The secret is settig the time to infinite, damage low and do nothing but advance guard everything. Try not to lose a lot of life and finish the cpu off after you've pushblocked a metric ton. I also did a bunch of aerial tags.

Sixfortyfive

He who pursues two rabbits gets two rabbits.
Watching your connection in the Gaf lobby I'm fairly certain that's an issue on your end. I had never seen the game act up that bad until then. Must really suck for you thogh.
Whether I have a shitty connection or not, I don't get the same shitty experience from competently programmed games, so I will always hold this as a fault against the game in this regard and always be a little bit salty that the cries for spectator mode outnumbered the cries for better netcode by 5 to 1 or so. Watching other people play turned out to be not much more fun than watching license cards bump into each other.

Giard

I just lost to a guy with 7 wins, 20 losses, but won against someone with 230 wins, 180 losses. I don't know what's wrong with me.

Nose Master

Played some guy the other night, he was using Nemesis. When Nemesis is close to death, the connection instantly drops to 1-3 FPS. He pops XF3, and spams supers. I called him out on using a lag switch, the response: "Yeah, it makes sense to use it during XF3, hey?"

I couldn't even stay mad at the honest little shit.

Strider on stream is ridiculous, btw.

Who did you use? I can barely break 200k.

The secret is settig the time to infinite, damage low and do nothing but advance guard everything. Try not to lose a lot of life and finish the cpu off after you've pushblocked a metric ton. I also did a bunch of aerial tags.

Pretty much what Nils said. I used Dormmamu, Wesker and Morrigan. I switched to Hulk, Nemesis and Morrigan for the Galactus fight though since I kept getting time outs from advance guarding akuma, doom etc. too much and needed characters who hit hard and could defeat galactus in about 25 seconds. I took way too long for the that match but I just wanted to be sure I had enough points. You also want to do snapbacks, dhcs, crossover assaults, and level 3 hypers. Try to aim for around 70,000-80,000 per match.

As I've said, the Rhino Charge nerf was a bad idea, just because it was the only part of playing Wesker that required thought. It's a terrible idea to remove something that complicates one's decision making process - that's what makes a character interesting. No tournament results suggest that he was falling from S tier in Vanilla. At most, it seems that the people who claim he would have are just acting on assumption. Wesker gained staying power over time, he didn't lose it.
This isn't a dig a Grecco, but once Viscant opened his mouth and declared that Wesker might lose his grip as an S tier character the sheep forgot how to say anything else.

Few people use their own brains in this genre and just follow what the most recognizable guys say. Vicant has already said that Wesker will probably get nerfed in order to please "The lowest common denominator" in one of the bigger SRK threads and quite a few sheep just follow.
Are there going to be any more DLC characters?
Probably not which sucks ass.
Whether I have a shitty connection or not, I don't get the same shitty experience from competently programmed games, so I will always hold this as a fault against the game in this regard and always be a little bit salty that the cries for spectator mode outnumbered the cries for better netcode by 5 to 1 or so. Watching other people play turned out to be not much more fun than watching license cards bump into each other.
The cries for better netcode and spectator were 1:1. Don't get it twisted.

Huh? Oh yeah. Meh. I hate all trenchcoats already. Just adding more fuel to the fire to learn how to beat him.

So I can yell " NEO TOOK IT EASY ON YOU AGENT SMITH!"

Dahbomb

I pretty much dislike watching Vergil in general on streams or anything. All of them are fraudulent, combos lack swag, lack damage, everything is herp derp rapid slash into DT, or assist + teleport. I enjoy watching Wesker, and pretty much every other member of the cast more than Vergil really.

Then again, I don't really enjoy watching Vergil combos in the first place. They look so freaking awkward.
Vergil takes 10x more skill to play than Wesker, is 10x more hype and has 10x more swag in combos than Wesker. He also does better damage if you know his combos. Vergil players all play the character differently where as everyone plays Wesker the same. You have to play Vergil to appreciate this fact. He also has more stylish resets than Wesker.

Judging the character's potential based off of scrubby play is just lol. Wait until Richard breaks this character open then you will get hyped.

Anyway GAF what's new? I heard some chatter about Nitsuma twitter. Any news on H&H?

Man, now I know why Dahbomb hates derp Vergils. I just played a match where he did nothing but those up and down slashes, then tried to do the bolts Strange assist mixup by teleporting above me. PREDICTABO...because he went for it no less than 4 times. He finally decided to try and grab me, but he made the mistake of bringing in Strange again and I got a happy birthday on him.
I hate derp Vergils with a PASSION. Even professional players play derp with him sticking out unsafe stuff without cancelling into anything safe (I am mind boggled that Yipes cancels normals into teleports) or dropping BnBs or not using his better tools or resets. There are some derp elements to Vergil that you need to abuse like his Helm Breaker and teleport mix ups but you need to play extremely careful with him otherwise. Meter management is also something that is unique to Vergil because you have to choose between saving meter for damage or mix ups/set ups.

enzo_gt

tagged by Blackace
Vergil takes 10x more skill to play than Wesker, is 10x more hype and has 10x more swag in combos than Wesker. He also does better damage if you know his combos. Vergil players all play the character differently where as everyone plays Wesker the same. You have to play Vergil to appreciate this fact. He also has more stylish resets than Wesker.

Judging the character's potential based off of scrubby play is just lol. Wait until Richard breaks this character open then you will get hyped.
Never did, but the play is pretty tiresome ATM.

Random post:
My figurines of Hulk, Deadpool and Nova have arrived! Thus, the only ones missing are Tasky, Laura and MODOK, whom I will most likely get by the beginning of February. Then I'll have the full UMvC3 Marvel roster (aside from the 2 guys that don't exist in the figurine collection). \o/

Expect awful phone cam shots by then. :D

Anyone here know if UMvC3 DLC is region free? SFIV and SSFIV DLC are.

I believe it's region-free, since it's saved to your profile, regardless of your region.

(also, nice avatar)

Yea, well, I'm not saying it's guaranteed, though. Don't hurt me if it doesn't work! D:
Though there's not much DLC for UMvC3 anyway; just the 2 characters and costumes.

Boss Doggie

all my loli wolf companions are so moe
More tiresome than Wolverine/Wesker play?

What's this talk of UMVC3 DLC? Any news of H&H? Patches?

Ahh well games in my country tend to be sold in either Region 3 or 1. Usually region 3 comes out earlier and are a lot cheaper, but that means only detecting DLCs from the Asian store. However, some games have region free DLC that detects even US-bought DLC. MvC3 DLCs are region free, so I was wondering if it's applicable to this game.

Dahbomb

I just read the Nitsuma interview, seems like a patch is coming within 3 weeks (before the year's end).

He neither confirmed nor disconfirmed a patch to Wesker.

To be honest you will never get a Capcom FG representative to talk about balance or overpowered characters unless it's Ono. These similar questions were asked to Capcom back in vanilla days and they keep saying that these are tough decisions and hard to do etc. They are going to act as if their game is balanced fine and it's the players being lazy not discovering new tech.

There are people at Capcom or who have worked on the guide who don't think Wesker is that powerful. There are people including Seth who think Phoenix Wright is S/God tier. What is the rhyme and reason to this? It was only after UMVC3 was announced that Seth finally admitted that Phoenix and Wolverine were a tad too much in vanilla.

It's even MORE formulaic, so I would say so yeah.
How is it more formulaic than 1 combo with Wolverine and Wesker each? Vergil has multiple combos he can do in different situations where as both of those characters have the same combos. Are you trolling me or something? Can either Wolverine or Wesker do stuff that is on this level? -> http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FE0yAeWba-0&feature=player_embedded What other characters in the game can do 960K damage on combos with just a 10% of a bar meter loss? Not many and certainly not these two. That combo I posted is what a Vergil BnB is SUPPOSED to look like... not ABC d+C d/f+C Max Vergil. Not only that but Vergil's strength is that on 2nd slot he can convert a large portion of character's BnBs into character deaths (even on Thor) because his DHC is so godlike (essentially he gets damage off of his Spiral swords + a combo afterwards). Check this out and it's even more powerful with Zero/Dante/Viper at the front -> http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zINSUK5C3IU&feature=player_embedded

Vergil requires you to have the Round Trip charged up at all times like Zero for optimum play. How many Vergil players do this? Less than 0.01%. How many Vergil players use Storm Swords for mix ups? I think Richard did it and LPN... that's it. How many Vergil players use his 30+ resets in games? I have seen a maximum of 5-6 different resets used with Vergil at this point and 3 of them which no one had seen before were by Richard which I had to point out because no one picked up on them.

There is about a metric ton of stuff on Vergil I can go over that goes over footsies, block strings, spacing, assist usage and meter management. But characters like Wesker/Wolverine don't need to worry about stuff like this so no one goes over block strings with Wesker (Wesker's block string is ABCS because launcher is -1... how is this shit hype and non-formulaic?). Wolverine's string is mash cr.L and when they advance guard you do Berserker Slash. Vergil has a string for different situations and depends a lot on how the other player reacts. If he loves to hold back and not press button, you can squeeze in a Rapid Slash at the end of your string. You can even go HSH plus assist call for mix up. If he likes to advance guard you have to do Judgment Cut M. If he likes to press buttons during strings, put in a Judgment Cut L to catch him hitting button within the 3 frame gap or cancel into instant activation Spiral Swords for the frame trap. Vergil's options and game plan are DRASTICALLY different at 0 meter vs 1 meter vs 2 meter vs 3 meter vs 4 meter. Wolverine/Wesker their options are basically this: If they have 0 meter... go for BnB into hyper. If they have 2 meter or above, go into BnB into LVL3. That's it. Nowadays Wesker gets to randomly put out Phantom Dances for the buff and random cross ups so he has that option. Wolverine always have Berserker Slash into Berserker Charge which everyone has seen since day 1 of vanilla.

I have played Wolverine and Wesker enough in vanilla to comment. They both are the definition of brain dead and formulaic. If you try to learn advance combos with Wolverine/Wesker you will learn that you are wasting your time because their standard BnBs do about as much damage for way less effort. If you try to learn footsies or block stringes you will learn that it's a waste of time because very few buttons out prioritize stuff like Wesker's cr.M or Wolverine's cr.L at those ranges. This is WAY different than with Vergil because footsies with Vergil are a double edged sword. You have the best ranged normal in the game with st.H but if you whiff it... it's the worst normal in the game.

Ahh well games in my country tend to be sold in either Region 3 or 1. Usually region 3 comes out earlier and are a lot cheaper, but that means only detecting DLCs from the Asian store. However, some games have region free DLC that detects even US-bought DLC. MvC3 DLCs are region free, so I was wondering if it's applicable to this game.

If MvC3 DLC is region-free for you, most certainly the same can be applied to UMvC3. In fact, if you bought Jill and Shuma or the costume pack for vanilla, you'll have access to them right away. :)

As said, usually the DLC should be region-free generally since it's bought from your -account-, and not through the game. I mean, you can purchase DLC without even getting the game first.

Dahbomb

enzo_gt

tagged by Blackace
Dahbomb, relax dude, for the hundredth time, I'm saying the Vergil play we see on streams is more formulaic than either Wesker or Wolverine play we see. There was never a discussion of potential or anything. It's early, I don't comment on that shit on principle anyways. I certainly believe Vergil has potential, we just need some time. You can already see the frauds who dropped Vergil, who had a brief stint just cause they heard he was good alone.

Dahbomb

Even basic Vergil play is less formulaic than top Wesker/Wolverine play.

WORD.

On a different note:

Viscant on SRK thinks that the problem with Dark Wesker is people putting the wrong anchors on their teams. He says things will be different once people figure out they can put anchor Vergils/Phoenixes/Striders and blow through Dark Weskers.

Viscant is also right about one thing which I also talked about previously. Wesker is 100% going to get nerfed in the future simply because he is ruining online/casual play. Capcom balances the game more around mid level play or low level play. It's why you will keep seeing stuff like Sentinel nerfs and Doom/Spencer/Viper/Zero buffs. Wesker dominates low level play like crazy and he dominates the picks... he will get nerfed. It's only a matter of time.

Grecco

You can already see the frauds who dropped Vergil, who had a brief stint just cause they heard he was good alone.

Watch me get accused of being a sheep again lol

but Clockwork said this would happen in July, Everybody would jump on the Vergil bandwagon and then most would drop him.

Bizazedo

I think Zero is absurdly good and am wondering why more people don't use him. The only thing I can think of is low HP so if someone lands a lucky hit on you, he's almost guaranteed dead. And that can happen in the long struggle through pools.

I love him, though, he's a lot of fun to use.

I also agree on your Wesker point, Dahbomb. People aren't planning for him + X-factor 3 makes him a killer.

Dahbomb

It's because Vergil requires work which the bandwagoners don't want to do.

I am actually very happy with the way Vergil turned out in this game. He is way more technical than he appears. He has powerful tools but they come at a cost. That's how a character should be. Vergil looks like a work of art when he is plowing through teams and when controller properly.. when played by a scrub he looks derp and full of holes.

The reason why people jumped off the bandwagon with Wolverine in UMVC3 is not because they don't think he is great in this game... it's because they don't want to get exposed for scrubby play. Even Noel and PRBalrog were Swiss Cheesing in top 3. So glad Capcom put in that move for Wolverine.

I think Zero is absurdly good and am wondering why more people don't use him.
Because he requires work. And you can't derp with him in X Factor at anchor, he is now exclusively a point character... but he's the best at what he does.

I also agree on your Wesker point, Dahbomb.
That's not my point it's Viscant's. I do somewhat agree with him but he is sort of making the argument that the problem is with the people not with the character. I am of the opinion that the glasses mechanic needs to go so there is actually some problem in the character that needs fixing.

mr. puppy

Banned
edit: ah dahbomb beat me too it, whatevs ahha
Viscant on SRK about the game:

Unfortunately we do know who Capcom is listening to, they've started balancing games towards lowest common denominator. This was not always the case. Characters like Fuerte and Blanka who never even reached mid-tier in SF4 repeatedly received asinine, non-sensical nerfs because these characters bothered online scrubs. It took Capcom 4 tries to realize that Blanka was a completely irrelevant character metagame wise and they (might have) fixed the probelm. Fuerte...well he's still waiting. All because online scrubs can't block tostadas or punish blanka balls.

This is the same reason characters like Doom and Spencer were buffed overall despite being already strong characters in tournament. This is why Viper was mostly left alone despite possibly being the best character in vanilla. This is why Zero was buffed despite being the best point character in vanilla. Capcom is not balancing with top level play in mind. They don't care all that much about it to be honest. As long as it's playable they're fine. Once you realize this, their decisions make much more sense.

On topic of Wesker, the only area he's outperforming expectations is in the anchor position. This is largely because with Phoenix completely (so people believe now, which is wrong but whatever) taken out of the metagame, the biggest obstacle to anchoring Wesker is removed. People are currently putting characters like Doom, Sentinel, Hawkeye in the anchor position and are wondering why Wesker is running a train on them. It's not much of a surprise to me. When you put him up against characters he's strong against in a situation where x-factor use is not only allowed but encouraged, he's going to win. Probably 8/10. Surprise!

People will figure it out. It's the biggest reason that Sentinel was dominating early in vanilla. People played low tier characters because they didn't know any better, Sentinel stepped on them. Surprise! People will play a little more Phoenix, start anchoring Strider, X-23 or Vergil, etc. and Wesker use in the anchor hole will decline sharply.

Unfortunately given how much the lowest common denominator is whining, Wesker will likely be nerfed and completely removed from the metagame which is a shame. That is this era of gaming in a nutshell. If you can't use your brain to figure it out, use your vocal chords to cry loud enough until someone listens.

Grecco

Zero "the best point character in Vanilla"

Really? I imagine hes a little salty about the beating Flocker gave him but really? Better than Dante?

Boss Doggie

all my loli wolf companions are so moe
If MvC3 DLC is region-free for you, most certainly the same can be applied to UMvC3. In fact, if you bought Jill and Shuma or the costume pack for vanilla, you'll have access to them right away. :)

As said, usually the DLC should be region-free generally since it's bought from your -account-, and not through the game. I mean, you can purchase DLC without even getting the game first.

Ahh, well my MvC3 was a gift from a relative so it's region 1, but I think you're right in that it'll be detected for UMvC3! Looks like I have no fear of purchasing then.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom