• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Ultimate Marvel vs. Capcom 3 |OT| of 9 Years Urley

Status
Not open for further replies.

shaowebb

PS- I added the top voted assists to my second post but I'll post em here too since that thread is pretty obsolete now.

Here are the assists you voted for pre-release as the most useful. Most tied.

Ghost Rider - Heartless Spire=10

Strider-Vajra=9
Rocket Raccoon-Log Trap=9

Nemesis-Launcher Slam=6
Hawkeye-Violent Fizz=6

Phoenix Wright-Get em’ Missile!=5

Iron Fist-Crescent Heel=4
Dr. Strange-Eye of Agamotto=4
Nova-Gravimetric Pulse=4

Dr. Strange-Daggers of Denaak=3
Iron Fist-Dragon Fang=3

Vergil-Rapid Slash=2

Nemesis- Rocket Launcher=1
Dr. Strange-Bolts of Balthaak=1
Iron Fist-Dragon’s Touch=1
Rocket Raccoon-Spitfire=1
Ghost Rider-Chain of Rebuttal=1
Hawkeye-Kamikaze=1
Hawkeye-Greyhound=1
Firebrand-Hell Spitfire=1
Nova-Centurion Rush=1

AVERAGE USEFULNESS BY THEMSELF (scale of 1 to 5. 1 being bad and 5 being great)
Firebrand- 4.36
Vergil- 4.36
Rocket Raccoon- 4.04
Dr Strange - 3.96
Strider- 3.96
Hawkeye- 3.88
Nova- 3.84
Ghost Rider- 3.64
Frank West- 3.08
Nemesis- 2.52
Iron Fist- 2.4
Phoenix Wright- 2.4

AVERAGE USEFULNESS ON A TEAM

Dr Strange- 4.48
Hawkeye- 4.4
Vergil- 4.32
Ghost Rider- 4.32
Strider- 4.28
Rocket Raccoon- 4.2
Firebrand- 4.12
Nova- 3.88
Frank West- 3.52
Phoenix Wright- 3.48
Iron Fist- 3.32
Nemesis- 3.32

Axis

Yeah, I mean running an assist character like Haggar is a totally legit strategy, but I just don't like doing it. I prefer to avoid the frustrating situations where only your assist character is left alive.

An assist like Sentinel drones or Doom plasma beam would be great for Zero's mixup game, but I'm ass with those characters on point. Also I mostly play online, so that's points against guys like Magneto and Doom who need execution.

That's pretty much why I thought a Jean Grey team might be viable. Strider's a possibility as well.

i don't run a strictly assist character either so i understand what you're saying. dante's assist is godlike but i'm more interested in using him. what about ammy cold star? she's REALLY good on anchor with the 40% speed boost in xf3 plus she's not the most difficult character to use. i think doom is more movement than combos when it comes down to it...once you can do his loops without thinking that's all it comes down to.

jean, tho...maybe. but with the overall meter building nerf and the fact you'd lose access to your meter for your other 2 chars it might not be the best idea. flocker made it work but that was in vanilla ^_^

i don't run a strictly assist character either so i understand what you're saying. dante's assist is godlike but i'm more interested in using him. what about ammy cold star? she's REALLY good on anchor with the 40% speed boost in xf3 plus she's not the most difficult character to use. i think doom is more movement than combos when it comes down to it...once you can do his loops without thinking that's all it comes down to.

jean, tho...maybe. but with the overall meter building nerf and the fact you'd lose access to your meter for your other 2 chars it might not be the best idea. flocker made it work but that was in vanilla ^_^

I'm OK with ammy. Seriously though, is there really any point in putting anyone besides wesker in the third slot?

Giard

Had lots of fun once again in Kadey's lobby tonight. My biggest weaknesses are when to call assists and when to stop blocking...
Someday.

that's old tech. honestly cap didn't even really get huge buffs. the only reason people are loving cap so much now is because he has abc combos now. i honestly don't know how we went from "cap has infinite but haha he still sucks" to "cap has otg now omg hes gdlk".
Hahahahaha. Captain America didn't get huge buffs?! Hahahahaha.

Fin.

Let it be known that Firebrand still can't output 900K damage by expending 3 bars of meter - lol.

CALLING OUT KARSTICLES!! I challenged you to a match in the PSN chatroom and you ducked me like a scrub! That's right!
I didn't check the chat until you left, and I probably would have ignored you because I prefer to match myself against decent human beings.

i heard karst is ass at marvel
I'm terrible, but still better than most of the people that play this game.

Fin.

Let it be known that Firebrand still can't output 900K damage by expending 3 bars of meter - lol.

I didn't check the chat until you left, and I probably would have ignored you because I prefer to match myself against decent human beings.

I'm terrible, but still better than most of the people that play this game.
If u want a decent human being go try knitting. This is mahvel baby

NameGenerated

Who paid you to grab Dr. Pavel?
I just played 25 games against the same guy and I'm not exaggerating when I say that every single time he launched me, he TAC'd. It was just one giant guessing game. Also all he did with Skrull was meteor smash to super, literally, that's all he did. I just didn't know what to do even when I blocked, it seemed nonpunishable and when I got hit it's just massive damage. So frustrating. Sad part is I only won 13 and he won 12.

Xevren

I just played 25 games against the same guy and I'm not exaggerating when I say that every single time he launched me, he TAC'd. It was just one giant guessing game. Also all he did with Skrull was meteor smash to super, literally, that's all he did. I just didn't know what to do even when I blocked, it seemed nonpunishable and when I got hit it's just massive damage. So frustrating. Sad part is I only won 13 and he won 12.

In regards to the Skrull tactic, that's pretty much what most of them do online. At least that I have seen anyway.

TACs are annoying.

Meteor Smash is punishable on block.

Inferno is punishable on block.

Sixfortyfive

He who pursues two rabbits gets two rabbits.
You know, Hsien-ko's alternate costume makes a startlingly large amount of sense if you think about it. It's actually been Mei-Ling the whole time. That's why she's so weak.

Dahbomb

LOL @ the "Wesker is not OP" article on the front page of SRK.

Some inaccurate stuff on it like the fact that he mentions that nerfed Samurai gun shot is huge only he didn't mention that with shades off Wesker can do the same shit to Sentinel that he used to do so it nullifies the nerf.

Evil Rahsaan has announced that he WILL be playing Spider Man in UMVC3 and raping people with him.

DAT SPIDER MAN and X-23 - > http://www.twitch.tv/vgbootcamp/b/301371831

kirblar

Some inaccurate stuff on it like the fact that he mentions that nerfed Samurai gun shot is huge only he didn't mention that with shades off Wesker can do the same shit to Sentinel that he used to do so it nullifies the nerf.

Evil Rahsaan has announced that he WILL be playing Spider Man in UMVC3 and raping people with him.

It's a quote regarding Magic: The Gathering, but it applies just as much to fighting games: "The players that get mad when cards get banned get upset because they want to play the card in bad decks."

Or, in fighting game terms: if you think Wesker's "fair", you're not playing him well enough.

Dahbomb

Just cracked over 2 bars produced in a Vergil meterless combo with 700K-750K damage with 2 assists. I feel good.

Deadpool and Vergil might be BFFs... not really but in a combo if you reset the ground bounce with Deadpool's Katanarama assist you basically get to add a whopping 120K+ meterless damage at the end of your full combo and build like 3/4ths of a bar. This basically means that Vergil effectively has a TOD combo in the game because he can go into Spiral sword loops after that combo for over a million damage with the 2 bars be build up. This is purely training mode tech/combo video stuff, getting the Katanarama to reset the ground bounce requires precise timing with RT and you may not always get it off. It's not match practical... at least for my level it's not.

I saw someone use Sentinel drones to prevent Lunar Phase from hitting and must have squeezed like 4 Lunar Phases into the combo or more and netted over a million damage. Lunar Phase just by itself does 50K damage at MAXIMUM damage scaling and you get a free OTG even after you have used your ground bounce. Plus Vergil has a few ways from preventing the last hit of the Lunar Phase with Spiral swords.

Whatever... I still much prefer to go for easy mode combos and resets with Vergil. I am sure Richard will develop some TODs with Vergil (already does like 900K+ on his day 1 BnB) and people will shit their pants. I find Vergil's reset and game against in coming characters to be far more frightening. Devil Triggered Vergil is for sure a top 5 character in the game.

HYPE!

Tracking number says the game will be there when I get home from work tonight. I don't have vanilla so I'll start fresh in this one. Based on simple preference and not caring about efficiency, my first team will be Wright, Zero and Vergil.

I'd ask to join PSN ScrubGAF, but the lag would make any match against someone outside Brazil unplayable. Bummer.

Oldschoolgamer

The physical form of blasphemy
Giard, I'm not any position to offer advice, but when your sent is 1v1 against someone, with no assists, you should unfly more. Granted, it's a bad match for him, but flying against someone like Maggy, outside of the range of Sent's air normals, for an extended amount of time is asking to eat a hyper, especially if their sitting on a Swaggity Squeeze.

Burning Water

Neo Member
Just cracked over 2 bars produced in a Vergil meterless combo with 700K-750K damage with 2 assists. I feel good.

Deadpool and Vergil might be BFFs... not really but in a combo if you reset the ground bounce with Deadpool's Katanarama assist you basically get to add a whopping 120K+ meterless damage at the end of your full combo and build like 3/4ths of a bar. This basically means that Vergil effectively has a TOD combo in the game because he can go into Spiral sword loops after that combo for over a million damage with the 2 bars be build up. This is purely training mode tech/combo video stuff, getting the Katanarama to reset the ground bounce requires precise timing with RT and you may not always get it off. It's not match practical... at least for my level it's not.

I saw someone use Sentinel drones to prevent Lunar Phase from hitting and must have squeezed like 4 Lunar Phases into the combo or more and netted over a million damage. Lunar Phase just by itself does 50K damage at MAXIMUM damage scaling and you get a free OTG even after you have used your ground bounce. Plus Vergil has a few ways from preventing the last hit of the Lunar Phase with Spiral swords.

Whatever... I still much prefer to go for easy mode combos and resets with Vergil. I am sure Richard will develop some TODs with Vergil (already does like 900K+ on his day 1 BnB) and people will shit their pants. I find Vergil's reset and game against in coming characters to be far more frightening. Devil Triggered Vergil is for sure a top 5 character in the game.

That's so awesome, you don't even know. Then again, you do. I have a team with Ghostrider, Vergil, and Hawkeye, in that order. I'm at work and not completely awake yet, but would Ghostrider's OTG (not Heartless Spire) have the same "ground bounce reset" effect as Deadpool's Katanarama?

Those dinosaurs are toiling in the past. Pretty much anyone who calls for regular balance patches are called scrubs, whiners, crybabies, and 09'rs(SFIV players LOL).

People actually have the audacity to call Wesker MvC2 Ice Man and MvC3 Sent even now. Self centered as fuck I'll tell you.

You know, Hsien-ko's alternate costume makes a startlingly large amount of sense if you think about it. It's actually been Mei-Ling the whole time. That's why she's so weak.

Haha, this is gold.

Those dinosaurs are toiling in the past. Pretty much anyone who calls for regular balance patches are called scrubs, whiners, crybabies, and 09'rs(SFIV players LOL).

People actually have the audacity to call Wesker MvC2 Ice Man and MvC3 Sent even now. Self centered as fuck I'll tell you.

People thought Iceman was cheap in MvC2? LOL
I know he was fucking broken in CotA, but in MvC2, wasn't he like lower mid tier?

Also, many people aren't calling for regular balance patches, just taking away what makes Wesker ridiculous (i.e. the freaking shades).

Fin.
someone who calls cap s tier and just as good as wesker is laughing at me? ummm... okie.

he got buffs of course and definitely is better, i'm just saying that they're not huge to say that he went from "proclaimed 2nd worst character to the game next to hsien-ko" to "s-tier just as good as wesker". are you sure you played cap in vanilla?

GuardianE

Santa May Claus
I know he was fucking broken in CotA, but in MvC2, wasn't he like lower mid tier?

Back when people didn't know what they were doing, and before MvC2 play had evolved, Iceman was considered very good. Spammable high chip beam, angled into any direction, takes no chip damage, decent damage super.

That's why people are claiming that Wesker is MvC2's Iceman, broken at the beginning because people didn't understand how to play the game. The same analogy was made with MvC3 Sentinel to MvC2 Iceman. Neither of those comparisons really work for me.

kirblar

Back when people didn't know what they were doing, and before MvC2 play had evolved, Iceman was considered very good. Spammable high chip beam, angled into any direction, takes no chip damage, decent damage super.

That's why people are claiming that Wesker is MvC2's Iceman, broken at the beginning because people didn't understand how to play the game. The same analogy was made with MvC3 Sentinel to MvC2 Iceman. Neither of those comparisons really work for me.
People don't understand how much regular high-level competitive events and the internet have made metagames evolve far faster than they have in the past.

someone who calls cap s tier and just as good as wesker is laughing at me? ummm... okie.

he got buffs of course and definitely is better, i'm just saying that they're not huge to say that he went from "proclaimed 2nd worst character to the game next to hsien-ko" to "s-tier just as good as wesker". are you sure you played cap in vanilla?

Cap was indeed one of the worse characters, but he definitely wasn't 2nd worst (I'd probably give that spot to Arthur, to be frank).
However, the buffs he did get were exactly what he needed. In fact, all the bottom tier characters not wearing pink hats have been buffed with exactly what they needed. Except maybe Shuma-Gorath, but I know very little about that character.

I don't think anyone ever claimed UMvC Captain America being as good as Wesker or in the same tier. He IS a considerable force now, though, and definitely are up there with most other characters. The new Cap is SICK as HELL. So are the new Thor, Arthur, etc., they all got some new tech potential that is going to blow everyone's mind should they be used in tournament.

Oh, wait... I misunderstood what SolarPowered was saying then. Herpaderp.

But yea, Wesker is actually good, not perceived as good. As I mentioned before in this thread, part of why Sentinel was considered being so amazing in the beginning of MvC3 was because the game and its mechanics was new, his legacy from MvC2 (everyone knew MSS and Cable were top tier, even people who didn't play the game) and the fact he is a very straight forward character, thus it's easy to stomp bad players with him.

But while the game in its move from MvC3 to UMvC3 did change, the basic gameplay mechanics are still the same and in place.

GuardianE

Santa May Claus
People don't understand how much regular high-level competitive events and the internet have made metagames evolve far faster than they have in the past.

That, and the fact that UMvC3 isn't a brand new game. There are mechanics and structure have been explored in Vanilla that transfer cleanly to UMvC3.

Giard

Giard, I'm not any position to offer advice, but when your sent is 1v1 against someone, with no assists, you should unfly more. Granted, it's a bad match for him, but flying against someone like Maggy, outside of the range of Sent's air normals, for an extended amount of time is asking to eat a hyper, especially if their sitting on a Swaggity Squeeze.
Yeah, I realized that afterwards. "Why the fuck did I do that for?"

Oldschoolgamer

The physical form of blasphemy
Yeah, I realized that afterwards. "Why the fuck did I do that for?"

I had the same thought when I used a Gravity Squeeze on Sent, when he had a pixel of health, the match we played before. Your Author came in and killed the shit out of me. LOL.

Cap was indeed one of the worse characters, but he definitely wasn't 2nd worst (I'd probably give that spot to Arthur, to be frank).
However, the buffs he did get were exactly what he needed. In fact, all the bottom tier characters not wearing pink hats have been buffed with exactly what they needed. Except maybe Shuma-Gorath, but I know very little about that character.
he was nowhere near 2nd worst, but he was imo percieved as so by the general community. or at least bottom 5. in my books however, he was definitely midtier.

cap was better than arthur, but arthur still had quite a following. a lot of people played him in early marvel, just like a lot of people played chun. then they mostly all disappeared. but here and there you'd get random arthurs popping up, i.e. the blow up on filipino champ. which becomes more funny when you take into account that filipino champ used arthur himself at one point in time.

I don't think anyone ever claimed UMvC Captain America being as good as Wesker or in the same tier.
Karsticles said:
I think everyone is overlooking Captain America for S tier. He's so much bullshit, right next to Spencer. Captain America and Spencer make Wesker look like a thoughtful character.

Gotcha on that quote - that side blow on his nick was pretty unnecessary and low, though. Coulda left that one out.

he was nowhere near 2nd worst, but he was imo percieved as so by the general community. or at least bottom 5.

Well who else would be down there aside from him?
We got Hsien-Ko. Arthur. And then it already is getting kinda fuzzy... I'd say Chun-Li was No. 3, then already Cap, then Haggar. Then it's getting even more ambiguous... Thor, Shuma-Gorath are the last 2 characters I'd definitely put in line, but those 2 actually were not as bad. Might've been simply underexplored as well... they already had some bullshit, and Thor was downright scary as fuck with the right assists. So...

Best to worst(lowish to garbage):

Low C tier:
Jill Valentine
Shuma-Gorath
Captain America
Thor

Mike Haggar

Bottom D tier:
Hsien-Ko
Chun-Li
Arthur

Bold for guys who got tier changing buffs(Chun Li is ambiguous as fuck since no one is using her) in Ultimate. Keep in mind that my number chart put characters with potential(Jill could be a total top of mid tier character) lower down the rung because they just didn't get enough use for the technology to proliferate.

@SolarPowered:
That's from your data chart, right?

I'd object to that with my personal opinion (e.g. Jill being in low tier - hell no!), but hey, it's opinion after all. So who cares LOL.

The ones who thought Iceman was cheap were the ones who were playing in the small arcades and completely ignorant about what that was going on in the competitive scene. Nobody who was playing MvC2 competitive back in day 1 MvC2 though that Iceman was cheap.

People actually have the audacity to call Wesker MvC2 Ice Man and MvC3 Sent even now. Self centered as fuck I'll tell you. .

This, man. The logic is all screwed up in that article. People just want to be white knights and not rationally discuss and tweak for the overall good of the game.

The comments like, just work harder to beat Wesker are so naive and simple minded. It's like the rich guy born into a rich family telling the pheasants to just work harder in life.

The lazy crutch Wesker players who want easy wins with a lower execution barrier should have to work harder. People don't want their crutch broken.

FGC is all weird and messed up. People bitch and complain about AE and the big 3, even the top players. Nobody tells them to adapt or switch characters or work harder. The "best" character (Viper) with some BS has a high execution barrier, but people say they don't care, BS is BS, she shouldn't have it.

MVC3. Big damage and BS with low execution barrier. Umm, deal with it, stop being scrubs and whiners. So dumb.

This is why Capcom gets away with their BS and inability to balance shit. People just accept it. People need to take Capcom to task about their games' balance problems (because that's the meat of the game, people aren't playing that shit for the Single player story).

Reasoning of that how it's been and such is stupid imo. Just because something has been a certain way in the past, doesn't mean it has to stay the way if it's the wrong way.

And btw, comparing Wesker to Sent in vanilla does not correlate at all. They are such different characters types. Wesker has and will always be top tier.

People just want their BS wins and don't want to work hard. This are the people who are against balance patches. They want their bullshit to keep working. they don't want to grow evolve. They want everybody around them too.

The people who want reasonable tweaks are not lazy or not willing to work. They want a more level play field, where the the guys on top don't have to be so brain dead to get their wins. Those characters will still be on top, but more reasonable.

And from that article and comments, everybody is overreacting on the other side like they are going to nerf Wesker into the ground. Like Bomb's has pointed out earlier in the thread, they would have to drastically retool Wesker for that to happen, and that won't happen.

But Capcom is lazy and has no clue sometimes, so they will just probably drop the health, and not address the core problems.

And asa side note, I hate when somebody doesn't agree with somebody on SRK, they call them a 09'er. That is some high school stuff.

i haven't touched dlc charas and haven't seen em that much in tournament play, so i can't comment on them.

Maybe noone is using her because she's crap in this game ? XD
are we talking about ultimate now?

there were at least more chuns than caps in vanilla. i can recall her being paired with phoenix a few times, since she was great at building meter. on her own, she could also build up for her lvl3 quite easily.

xaqshinor was one of the best chun's i've seen in vanilla. so i'm sad that he dropped her in ultimate (or at least wasn't playing her at the last big two)

i haven't touched her in ultimate that much, but if she can't get that lvl3 as easily, i'm not surprised why no one plays her. especially not as a meter builder for phoenix since no one plays her anymore either. i'm not even sure if she can still do all her loops with the hit stun scaling changes.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom