• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Ultimate Marvel vs. Capcom 3 |OT| of 9 Years Urley

Status
Not open for further replies.

Solune

I talk about tiers the same way every single other person does. There are ranks within tiers. S Tier characters still have an order within their rank. Captain America is probably low S Tier, or maybe high A tier at the least. Wesker is definitely above him, and I would wager that Spencer is top of the top of S Tier. Hawkeye is probably around there, too.

Going from bottom 5 to S Tier is a stretch...why? It's a new game, and he received a lot of changes.

lol

It makes my head explode every time someone tries to claim that Wesker is this game's MvC3 Sentinel. This is not a new fucking game. This is a 10 month old game that got some new characters and balance changes. What made Sentinel crazy was that people didn't even understand how the fundamental game worked yet.

Also, if you DHC from the last shot (but not the blast) of Million Dollars into Frank's rushing hyper, the hyper will whiff. Since the last shot of million dollars makes the person flop in the air forever, frank can take a picture, call in jam session and take another picture. If million dollars came after an extended combo, instant level 5 Frank.

holy shit.

Bizazedo

That's an interesting anecdote. I wonder if others can collaborate? The Wesker players I fight against tend not to use Randomum Wesker.

Matches with my experience.

It only seems to cross up if they hold the wrong way, advance guard, or if it misses as he said and then hits from the wrong direction.

This is ignoring when I might pop a Wesker Dance directly above or below someone just to see what might happen.

I continue to be bad at this game. Anyway, I bought a TvC Wii stick and Classic Controller to USB adapter and I was wondering what buttons are what when you plug it into a PS3. Anyone know?

GuardianE

Santa May Claus
That's an interesting anecdote. I wonder if others can collaborate? The Wesker players I fight against tend not to use Randomum Wesker.

I generally don't random Phantom Dance, but when you play him a lot, you recognize there are times when you can use Phantom Dance in certain situations to safely DHC or to avoid certain attacks. In doing that, I never took into consideration that Phantom Dance crosses up in Vanilla... when it happened it was a surprise.

In Ultimate, depending on the situation, Wesker seems to cross up almost 40% of the time. I obviously haven't played as much Ultimate as I did Vanilla, so the numbers certainly aren't conclusive, but I really noticed it when I was playing mirror match against another Wesker and he DID random Phantom Dance.

Alright, toooooooo mmmmuuuuuuucccchhhhhhhh Wesker talk...

And Red Arremer hit me up.

And now this: FINNNNNAAAAALLLLLLLLLSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSS OVVVVEEERRRR!

koryuken

I'm curious as to whether or not people think Wesker was OP in vanilla as well?

Because he's really no better than he was in that game, and no one really considered him OP in that game. It really seemed that the general consensus in vanilla was that Phoenix and Wolverine were the only OP characters. There's a difference between a "strong" or "good" character and an overpowered character.

Also, looks like Evil Rahsaan will play the game for a few months again and then quit because he's still not going to win anything with Spider-Man.

To give some background, I have been a Wesker player since day 1, before I the game was released, before I knew he was good...

That being said -- people who want to nerf him are the same people that wanted Sentinel nerfed. In reality, he has some really bad matchups. Zero, Wolverine, and X23 destroy him FREE in close quarters. Trish and other keepaway characters can keep him away all day. Hell, now that I main Doom, I feel that Dr.Doom has an advantage against Wesker. (if you do finger lasers, beam, missiles, super jump air finger lasers, foot dive -- Wesker has a hell of a time getting in)

Like Viscant said, for low level play, he is a problem. Since he does not have a tracking teleport, he does not have a good way to control the air. I have had good players with characters such as (Magneto, Storm, Doom, Trish, etc) waste my entire XF lvl3 by running away...

Phoenix needed to be nerfed because she had no bad matchups and could reverse OCV a team for free. Wesker can reverse OCV a team if you panic/or are a scrub... (I have been reverse OCV'ed also), but that doesn't make me want to nerf him.

IMHO, I think that fucking Spencer is the OP character. If they nerf Wesker, everyone will jump to Spencer -- I gaurantee it. He has a higher execution requirement, which is why people are not on him. But please, someone tell me... who else can do near 1million damage with no xfactor (ie touch of death combos) with no assists? Who can else can completely cut off your escape/jump options by himself? (with that fucking horizontal grapple). Who else has a high priority ambigious crossup that option selects into a throw? When fighting against a good Spencer, he seems like a god tier character...

And this is my point, I can probably make the same argument about a few other characters in the game. When will the calls to nerfs stop? Lets make everyone do shitty damage and then we can have a boring ass game like SSFIV where it takes a hundred hits to kill someone and everyone stares at each other for 30 seconds of the match.

End of rant.

PS. I loved Vanilla SFIV and I absolutely loathe SSFIV and AE... so goddamn boring.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xbpDAj-6ASg

Oh man, it's so nice to see someone sticking with a character he loves, even though he might have to relearn the character and adjust a bit.

Just in case it wasn't clear, I'm ragging on you, Ultimoo!

That's an impressive ability to ignore context that you have there. Clearly, in the first instance I mean it in the literal sense - Ultimate Marvel is a new game, with new stuff in it. In the second instance it a reference to the lack of changes to the fundamental mechanics. The reason Sentinel was considered to be overpowered is because it was, conceptually, a new game - the mechanics were entirely fresh, and people didn't yet understand what they were playing. In that sense, Ultimate is not a new game.

Have you never heard the old phrase, "You cannot step into the same river twice"? It's not at all contradictory to say: "This river before me is the same river it was a minute ago, and yet it is not the same river."

Maybe such subtlety is beyond you though, as you have so demonstrated.

I generally don't random Phantom Dance, but when you play him a lot, you recognize there are times when you can use Phantom Dance in certain situations to safely DHC or to avoid certain attacks. Not often, but I never took into consideration that Phantom Dance crosses up in Vanilla... when it happened it was a surprise.

In Ultimate, depending on the situation, Wesker seems to cross up almost 40% of the time. I obviously haven't played as much Ultimate as I did Vanilla, so the numbers certainly aren't conclusive, but I really noticed it when I was playing mirror match against another Wesker and he DID random Phantom Dance.
I try not to give Wesker the opportunity to DHC out. If I touch him, he's dead. Unless it's a full team of trench coats, and then I'm never really sure who to blow X-Factor on, because all three are bound to make my life miserable. Thus far Vergil is the least irritating, though, just because people think they can throw out random teleports like he's Dante.

That being said -- people who want to nerf him are the same people that wanted Sentinel nerfed.
I want Wesker nerfed. I want Sentinel un-nerfed, and opposed his nerfs when they happened. You are wrong. I don't use either character, nor would I if my desired changes took place.

To give some background, I have been a Wesker player since day 1, before I the game was released, before I knew he was good...

That being said -- people who want to nerf him are the same people that wanted Sentinel nerfed. In reality, he has some really bad matchups. Zero, Wolverine, and X23 destroy him FREE in close quarters. Trish and other keepaway characters can keep him away all day. Hell, now that I main Doom, I feel that Dr.Doom has an advantage against Wesker. (if you do finger lasers, beam, missiles, super jump air finger lasers, foot dive -- Wesker has a hell of a time getting in)

Like Viscant said, for low level play, he is a problem. Since he does not have a tracking teleport, he does not have a good way to control the air. I have had good plays with characters such as (Magneto, Storm, Doom, Trish, etc) waste my entire XF lvl3 by running away...

Phoenix needed to be nerfed because she had no bad matchups and could reverse OCV a team for free. Wesker can reverse OCV a team if you panic/or are a scrub... (I have been reverse OCV'ed also), but that doesn't make me want to nerf him.

IMHO, I think that fucking Spencer is the OP character. If they nerf Wesker, everyone will jump to Spencer -- I gaurantee it. He has a higher execution requirement, which is why people are not on him. But please, someone tell me... who else can do near 1million damage with no xfactor (ie touch of death combos) with no assists? Who can else can completely cut off your escape/jump options by himself? (with that fucking horizontal grapple). Who else has a high priority ambigious crossup that option selects into a throw? When fighting against a good Spencer, he seems like a god tier character...

And this is my point, I can probably make the same argument about a few other characters in the game. When will the calls to nerfs stop? Lets make everyone do shitty damage and then we can have a boring ass game like SSFIV where it takes a hundred hits to kill someone and everyone stares at each other for 30 seconds of the match.

End of rant.
The nerfs will not stop until everyone is MvC3 Hsien-Ko.

Feel my paaaaaaaaain.

zlatko

Banned
If it wasn't Wesker, then it'd be someone else.

He'll get toned down eventually. People should be more focused on finding who would take his place once he's nerfed.

This game is still greatly balanced, but there are a few characters I feel need buffs.

GuardianE

Santa May Claus
I'll echo the sentiment that Spencer is preposterous in this game.

PR Balrog took his win with Wolverine, and Spencer was a liability for most of his top 8 fights at NEC, but Spencer will be the star once he stops dropping combos.

Once everybody stops dropping combos, we have no idea if Wesker will nearly be as dominant. He is easy to play.

But does not mean he is the most broken thing ever. I am waiting for someone to pull off the boulder loop of Rocket's in a match.

Should be epic.

Grecco

PR Balrog took his win with Wolverine, and Spencer was a liability for most of his top 8 fights at NEC, but Spencer will be the star once he stops dropping combos.

I thought his Wesker was his weakest link tbh

If it wasn't Wesker, then it'd be someone else.

He'll get toned down eventually. People should be more focused on finding who would take his place once he's nerfed.This game is still greatly balanced, but there are a few characters I feel need buffs.

I'm working on Spencer on the side.

koryuken

I guarantee -- please quote me on this, in a few months, Spencer will take Wesker's place as the "OP/Most hated character".

I guarantee -- please quote me on this, in a few months, Spencer will take Wesker's place as the "OP/Most hated character".
I'm inclined to agree with you about him being the most OP, but not the most hated. It's the fact that Wesker looks like douchebaggery incarnate that makes him so hateworthy.

GuardianE

Santa May Claus
I'm inclined to agree with you about him being the most OP, but not the most hated. It's the fact that Wesker looks like douchebaggery incarnate that makes him so hateworthy.

How does Spencer not qualify as douchebaggery incarnate (not counting his alternate costume)? He's pretty douchebaggey.

Only three new dominant characters in this game from the old roster besides Wolvie and Wesker.

Spencer
Zero
Dr. Doom

I laugh at the folks who think that people will graduate from daycare with Wesker to college degrees with Zero or Spencer. Dr. Doom is the next one in line for domination in the online realm at best from this bunch. Tournament scene will be all over the place outside of these three though.
How does Spencer not qualify as douchebaggery incarnate (not counting his alternate costume)? He's pretty douchebaggey.
Spencer is just some guy with a bionic arm.

Wesker is CLEARLY a douche.

But please, someone tell me... who else can do near 1million damage with no xfactor (ie touch of death combos) with no assists?

Captain America can to some degree. His B&B (well, my B&B) puts out ~800k with level 1 super, if I recall correctly. any level of x-factor at all + B&B is the touch of death for any character.

But the rest of your point certainly stands. Spencer and Wesker are the scariest in good hands.

Ken

Any advice against Dr. Dooms that foot dive when you get close while running away and spam plasma beam when you're far away.

GuardianE

Santa May Claus
Only three new dominant characters in this game from the old roster besides Wolvie and Wesker.

Spencer
Zero
Dr. Doom

I laugh at the folks who think that people will graduate from daycare with Wesker to college degrees with Zero or Spencer. Dr. Doom is the next one in line for domination in the online realm at best. Tournament scene will be all over the place outside of these three though.

I'm not sure what you mean by "graduate from daycare." You mean people won't shift to Spencer/Zero from Wesker?

TO me, Spencer, with his dreads, his attitude, and his cheesy one-liners, is clearly douchey... just a different kind of douchey.

hes also quite boring. spencer is hype. how anyone can hate on bionic arm is beyond me. even phoenix was less boring than wesker.

Grecco

I'm not sure what you mean by "graduate from daycare." You mean people won't shift to Spencer/Zero from Wesker?

TO me, Spencer, with his dreads, his attitude, and his cheesy one-liners, is clearly douchey... just a different kind of douchey.

I think he means Spencer/Zero are harder to use

and Zero isnt "that" hard.

zlatko

Banned
I think it's cool Combofiend has two of the three characters I use with Nova and Hawkeye. He's my favorite player, and being able to watch him at top play will give me a better sense of what to go for and how to play.

I'm still searching for that third, but I don't think I'll be using Spencer like Combo is. Next time I play I'll be trying V.joe, wolverine some more, and Dante.

I think the character that will take Wesker's spot if he gets toned/when he does will be tough to call.

Potential:
Zero
Hawkeye
Spencer
Wolverine

If I was a betting man though I'd say out of those 4 I mention it'll end up being Wolverine.

Don't forget Viper and Dante are still up there in OMG look at all the broken shit I can do.

So Hawkeye and Firebrand for sleeper top tier from prerelease?

Interesting....... Hmmmmm.......

Frantic

Spencer is less douchebag, more over the top. Dude tries too hard and just comes off as more comical than anything. Still a douchebag, but probably mid-tier on the douchebag tier list.

And god damn this Wesker talk is getting old as fuck. I'm in agreement that he should be changed and all, but good god.

GuardianE

Santa May Claus
I think he means Spencer/Zero are harder to use

and Zero isnt "that" hard.

Frankly, Spencer isn't super hard either. I mean, they're both harder than Wesker at this point, but the conversion isn't that crazy. It's not like going from Wesker-> Dr. Strange or something.

Spencer is less douchebag, more over the top. Dude tries too hard and just comes off as more comical than anything. Still a douchebag, but probably mid-tier on the douchebag tier list.

And god damn this Wesker talk is getting old as fuck. I'm in agreement that he should be changed and all, but good god.

I want a douchebag tier list now.

Don't forget Viper and Dante are still up there in OMG look at all the broken shit I can do.

So Hawkeye and Firebrand for sleeper top tier from prerelease?

Interesting....... Hmmmmm.......

Viper and Dante will see tournament play, but you won't see a lot of casuals use them. Well, not Viper anyway. Dante will always be a popular choice, but a lot of people won't tap what he can do... and a lot of newer players will opt to use Vergil instead.

Hawkeye has never been a sleeper. :p He's always been considered godly.

kirblar

Spencer
Zero
Dr. Doom

I laugh at the folks who think that people will graduate from daycare with Wesker to college degrees with Zero or Spencer. Dr. Doom is the next one in line for domination in the online realm at best from this bunch. Tournament scene will be all over the place outside of these three though.

Wesker->Doom isn't even going to happen because Doom's a much more difficult character to "get in" with. (The real issue with him is the Dante-length loops, which are just silly.)

Grecco

I dont get the whole Wesker is a "douche" thing. Hes just trying to become a god.

Spencer on the other hand "How could i lose i have a bionic arm" is the very definition of brodouchery

Solune

Yeah, running away from SSJ4 Wesker could be a legitimate strategy. It'd be pretty funny if we got another 7/8 incident at EVO though LOL!

7 Weskers. 7 Weskers is all Capcom can spare.

Alright, toooooooo mmmmuuuuuuucccchhhhhhhh Wesker talk...

And Red Arremer hit me up.

And now this: FINNNNNAAAAALLLLLLLLLSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSS OVVVVEEERRRR!
PSN to hit you up for that Thor action =p? or just some games in general.
That's an impressive ability to ignore context that you have there. Clearly, in the first instance I mean it in the literal sense - Ultimate Marvel is a new game, with new stuff in it. In the second instance it a reference to the lack of changes to the fundamental mechanics. The reason Sentinel was considered to be overpowered is because it was, conceptually, a new game - the mechanics were entirely fresh, and people didn't yet understand what they were playing. In that sense, Ultimate is not a new game.

Have you never heard the old phrase, "You cannot step into the same river twice"? It's not at all contradictory to say: "This river before me is the same river it was a minute ago, and yet it is not the same river."

Maybe such subtlety is beyond you though, as you have so demonstrated.
You know it's so easy to rile you up, it's almost like the real Wesker vs Dorm matchup. But really I'm just being a douche, feel free to ignore me or blow me up too! BTW we haven't played in Vanilla or Ultimate ever, so if you feel like exposing me hit me up.

And Wesker to Hawkeye won't happen either due to Hawkeye likes staying away too much and his good combos most people won't pull off.

EDIT: Unfortunately, I have to go home first. :/ And then put in about 10-20 years in training mode to get my execution up to par.

Grecco

Frankly, Spencer isn't that hard either. I mean, they're both harder than Wesker at this point, but the conversion isn't that crazy. It's not like going from Wesker-> Dr. Strange or something.

I want a douchebag tier list now.

Ive never used Spencer, so i wouldnt know :(

Spencer looks like a dirty hippie to me. Like someone I would have lived with in a co-op during undergrad. So, I dislike him, but Wesker looks like that kid in high school who wore all black just so it was clear to everyone how cool he was, and now he works at McDonalds because he never attended class. Except Wesker is "a god" (which is laughable), so all of those losers get to pick him and feel just like they did in high school, and filled with brimless rage about how they should have turned out - like Wesker - while they teabag you after every win.

hes also quite boring. spencer is hype. how anyone can hate on bionic arm is beyond me. even phoenix was less boring than wesker.
Bionic Lancer by itself is not hype. It became popular because Vanilla was a world filled with tier whoring where one man, ComboFiend, stood out because people thought he was using mid tier characters and winning with them. It became a hero's move because it stomped on the many characters people were bitter about in this game.

If Phoenix was considered an underdog, you bet your ass that people would get hype to see her go Dark and exact revenge on the Evil Top Tiers. There's no logical reason people love Bionic Lancer but loathe Akuma's Messatsu-Gohado Ungyo. They're basically the same kind of move. However, everyone used Akuma in Vanilla, so when he goes into XF3 and throws out beams to punish things, people groaned. Only ComboFiend notably used Spencer, and so he was hype.

If Spencer becomes a big player in Ultimate, you bet your ass that people will start groaning whenever a Bionic Arm goes off, and people will start to talk about whether Bionic Arm is maybe too strong, etc.

Spencer is far, far more boring than Wesker. There's nothing hype, or even mentally stimulating, about Wire Zip into a 50/50 over and over again because there's no way to prevent Spencer from getting in. It's not like the character takes thought in his approach or even his mix-ups. He's just like Wesker in this sense: you know exactly what's coming, and no, you can't stop it.

I dont get the whole Wesker is a "douche" thing. Hes just trying to become a god.

Spencer on the other hand "How could i lose i have a bionic arm" is the very definition of brodouchery
That line comes off more as the kind of lame thing a generic good guy says.

You know it's so easy to rile you up, it's almost like the real Wesker vs Dorm matchup. But really I'm just being a douche, feel free to ignore me or blow me up too! BTW we haven't played in Vanilla or Ultimate ever, so if you feel like exposing me hit me up.
Sure, we'll play sometime. No guarantee at blowing you up, my team is pretty terrible. I wouldn't take any appearance of me being upset over a comment at face value, though.

Taskmaster is another character who you just groan when he combos you cause you know what he will do, low, swing, overhead.

And you can't stop it either since his sword normals have huge hitboxes and will beat any normals you throw out typically.

GuardianE

Santa May Claus
Spencer looks like a dirty hippie to me. Like someone I would have lived with in a co-op during undergrad. So, I dislike him, but Wesker looks like that kid in high school who wore all black just so it was clear to everyone how cool he was, and now he works at McDonalds because he never attended class. Except Wesker is "a god" (which is laughable), so all of those losers get to pick him and feel just like they did in high school, and filled with brimless rage about how they should have turned out - like Wesker - while they teabag you after every win.

Hah, you've painted a hilarious image. I thank you for that. But I don't really know if that caricature is all that common in the real world- People picking him out of nerdrage to vicariously live through their character as the god they should have been. The only people who wore all black in my high school were goths.

He's a typical villain. Nothing more, nothing less. He only started wearing black after he was no longer human.

I'm having a ton of fun with viper/storm/doom. I enjoy viper and storm so I'm trying to keep them together. The last slot was strider but storm doesn't get much at all from strider with what little I experimented with. Its hard for her to capitalize on the hard knockdown. Storm is hella fun to play tho. Check out a couple of her newer BnBs.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9TTmdmxSEH0

Grecco

That line comes off more as the kind of lame thing a generic good guy says.

I always thought it was douchy especially in Vanilla since he has that animation where he leaves the fight when he says it.

Taskmaster is another character who you just groan when he combos you cause you know what he will do, low, swing, overhead.

And you can't stop it either since his sword normals have huge hitboxes and will beat any normals you throw out typically.
I feel like Taskmaster has trouble opening me up, though, so he's not too bothersome. Plus he's really free to my team, since he has no answer to Stalking Flare.

On a related note, with so many new characters and new players, it's really fun watching people try and get around the Flares. A lot of them don't understand the rules behind it, or they think they can just blow through it with something like Plasma Beam (rofl). If we play a lot of matches, I get to watch them go through a period of experimentation that's really enjoyable to watch in a sadistic sort of way.

Some characters, even though I know they have an easy answer to Stalking Flare, I throw out Stalking Flare against anyway, because only 1/10 of the people who use the character know what that answer is. Hahahaha.

You've painted a hilarious image. I thank you for that. But I don't really know if that caricature is all that common in the real world- People picking him to vicariously live through their character as the god they should have been.

He's a typical villain. Nothing more, nothing less. He only started wearing black after he was no longer human.
Oh, I don't think that's common at all. I'm just having fun, much like I was with Solune. It's pretty rare to find me genuinely expressing what I think. It would be pretty funny for someone to do a series of "MvC3 High School" skits though. Or just a picture of Wesker serving McDonalds fries.

After all, my second most frequent sparring partner uses Wesker/Ryu/Felicia - it would be pretty hard to stereotype him using that team!

The sad thing about Wesker as a villain is that he's not even respectable as a villain. He's like Capcom's MODOK, but with a trench coat and shades.

I'm having a ton of fun with viper/storm/doom. I enjoy viper and storm so I'm trying to keep them together. The last slot was strider but storm doesn't get much at all from strider with what little I experimented with. Its hard for her to capitalize on the hard knockdown. Storm is hella fun to play tho. Check out a couple of her newer BnBs.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9TTmdmxSEH0
This is exactly why I don't use Storm. There's just no way I can do this kind of stuff. Have you considered running Viper/Strider/Storm? If you're willing to run Doom on anchor, you might as well be willing to run Storm - she's actually probably better.

I always thought it was douchy especially in Vanilla since he has that animation where he leaves the fight when he says it.
I can see that. It just doesn't hit me that way. It's more like something cringeworthy, a tacky statement that I feel embarrassed on his behalf for.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom