• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Ultimate Marvel vs. Capcom 3 |OT| of 9 Years Urley

Status
Not open for further replies.

koryuken

Yes, I give a shit if (PR) Balrog beats Ryu (valle). I love seeing good players battle, play footsies, play mind games.

Krone vs Wong finals was entertaining to watch for me. I like high level play. Valle/Daigo ryu/ryu from SCR a while back? Awesome play. No sodium or blah, blah. Just high level play, footsies, trying to read each other.

I don't care if a scrub Tron beats on a scrub wesker. It's about the players. The character match ups are part of it of course. Good vs Evil was fun at SB, but it's not just all about that.

You don't need sodium all the time for hype. You need top level play. Wong/Rog vs daigo/ryu SF4 finals from SB a while back was hype. No underdogs or anything. Just high level play.

You are right to a certain extent. My opinion reflects the fact that I am largely burned out/jaded when it comes to street fighter. I loved SFIV (participated in Evo twice), but all other iterations bore me to tears. Marvel gives me the fighting game fix that I need in terms of: high risk reward, fast paced, lots of mixups, and favors action vs turtling. I do not want to see this game balanced to the point where the game becomes boring as hell. I want people to be salty and I want to be salty sometimes too -- it motivates me :)

What I love about Marvel is the following: what is the absolute most cheapest/abusable shit that I can come up with and match that against the cheapest shit that you came up with. The cheaper of the two will win.

I actually am surprised more Sparda fans aren't running Hawkeye with Dante/Vergil since his triple arrows sets up there teleports and mix up games.

And Dante's jam session helps Hawkeye with his zoning and Vergils peudo dark hole(forgot the name but you know what) can help Hawkeye extend his arrow loops.

Veezy

que?
Okay, so I'm trying to get back into dat Marvel and can't pick a solid team. Can somebody recommend me a team that's not necessarily top tier but is easy to combo with? Just something completive I can sink my teeth into while I get back into learning the ropes. Much thanks in advance.

Burning Water

Neo Member
I actually am surprised more Sparda fans aren't running Hawkeye with Dante/Vergil since his triple arrows sets up there teleports and mix up games.

And Dante's jam session helps Hawkeye with his zoning and Vergils peudo dark hole(forgot the name but you know what) can help Hawkeye extend his arrow loops.

No lie, I spam Hawkeye's assist so I can teleport or Rapid Slash with Vergil. I'm still wary about using Dante - so many damn moves! I have Ghostrider on this team. Need to experiment more with Heartless Spire and that other OTG assist, but I keep spectating lobbies instead...

Okay, so I'm trying to get back into dat Marvel and can't pick a solid team. Can somebody recommend me a team that's not necessarily top tier but is easy to combo with? Just something completive I can sink my teeth into while I get back into learning the ropes. Much thanks in advance.

Ryu, Wesker, Hulk, Captain America, and Sentinel are examples of easy to use characters who are also powerful.

Hulk/Ryu/Wesker isn't a bad starting team if you want to learn the ropes.

No I am asking who would you want in the teams starring good vs evil.

Like my Evil team would be: Viscant, Justin Wong, Jago, Minh and PRBalrog with honorable mentions to MastaCJ, NoelBrown etc.

Good team: Combofiend, Filipino Champ, Flocker, MarlinPie, ChrisG etc.
I never thought I'd see Filipino Champ on the good side.

Adam Prime

hates soccer, is Mexican
So... it's pretty impossible to grind your way up a Rank now?

I've noticed that you get Battle Points that effect your rank and now you can lose points. So if you maintain a shitty Win/Loss ratio you'll never rank up. Interesting, it seems similar to the PP on SSFIV.

enzo_gt

tagged by Blackace

I've noticed that you get Battle Points that effect your rank and now you can lose points. So if you maintain a shitty Win/Loss ratio you'll never rank up. Interesting, it seems similar to the PP on SSFIV.
Yup, it's a pretty shitty system, but I'm not quite sure if I can suggest a better one unless there are macro-calculations involved to relate you relative to everyone else actively playing the game. Which is sorta difficult but comes with it's own set of flaws.

I'm glad I put in some lab time a couple days ago to better understand how ChrisG got that accidental dragon punch super at NEC. That lab time actually helped a lot with my execution. I'm tiger kneeing stuff like a champ now.

I had a 50w/100+L record by the second week, and I got the cheesemint for 6th Lord last night. You're never in too deep of a hole to level up.

enzo_gt

tagged by Blackace
OH MY GOD DAT VERGIL/DANTE COMBO VIDEO MAH GAWD

fake edit: Beef's post inspires me to start playing ranked again.

Ken

Played some guy in ranked who did nothing but jump back with Dante/Nemesis/Sentinel while spamming j. H and rockets with Nemesis. Zzz...

Ken

Did you win? Who were you using?

I lost. I was using Frank/Ryu/Hawkeye. The only thing I could think of doing was to spam Triple Arrow with Hawkeye but his Nemesis' rockets killed me faster. After Hawkeye died I would just try to get in but Nemesis' j. H would get me and then combo.

Burning Water

Neo Member
I lost. I was using Frank/Ryu/Hawkeye. The only thing I could think of doing was to spam Triple Arrow with Hawkeye but his Nemesis' rockets killed me faster. After Hawkeye died I would just try to get in but Nemesis' j. H would get me and then combo.

Sorry, man. That blows. You ever mess around with Hawkeye's Kamikaze assist? Sometimes it works wonders for me when people do nothing but jump back.

Ken

Sorry, man. That blows. You ever mess around with Hawkeye's Kamikaze assist? Sometimes it works wonders for me when people do nothing but jump back.

Well, that was the first time I've played someone who did nothing but jump back and I wasn't expecting it, so my Hawkeye was on Greyhound assist. Since FW and Ryu don't really have good horizontal projectile assists, I rely on Hawkeye for it.

Oh well, it was just one guy on XBL so hopefully I don't run into more. His name was theTrendsetter (with numbers for letters) with 400+ wins and 400+ losses.

zlatko

Banned
So I got an hour tonight to run through most of the cast, and I've come to the conclusion that the best choices in terms of DHC's for my other two characters were:

Wesker
Magneto
Dr. Doom
Hulk
Vergil

I use Nova and Hawkeye, and often with Nova I'll go for the Nova Force hyper, so w/e the third character is needs to be able to connect the majority of their hits even if the character is far up in the air.

That's where the characters I listed shine. I'm between Wesker and Magneto, and leaning towards Magneto, but I would have to seriously grind to learn fly combos with my "fair" execution which just isn't up to snuff yet to do those combos with my limited play time. Hell, I even can't do Wesker combos. Like picking a character up after his gun shot, or going into his Maximum Wesker after gun shot won't work.

I suck. :(

So apparently PR Balrog hasn't officially dropped Dante, only saying that there was no need to bust him out. Also more interestingly he said he toyed around with Vergil, but honestly feels that Dante is the better, more practical character.

Nerfs can't stop Dante.

Man that sons of sparda combo vid is what makes marvel so damn special. The chance to duke it out with your favorite characters from your favorite games is just too awesome. Those cutscenes brought back so many good memories. Oh how I wish Gene from God Hand was in this game.

Wesker,Dr Doom, Spencer, Dante and either Super Skrull or Magneto.
I disagree with Magneto (what does he do against Vajra/Missiles assists?), Doom, and Wesker. I'd like to hear your cases for them doing well against my worried matchups. The rest of those sound like worthwhile options to look into.

Magneto
Zero
Spencer
Wesker
Nova

Unintentionally ordered in terms of viability when execution/skill is a non factor.
Nova is iffy - isn't most of his stuff punishable?

sounds like you want the best anchor then
Yet without X-Factor!

Karsts I would recommend the following characters for your team:

Zero
Viper
Vergil
Dante
Trish

I feel one of these 5 characters is going to be what you are looking for. Here's a breakdown of each character:

ZERO

I think he is the premiere point character in UMVC3 right now. He doesn't need assists to get his game started, just need them for combo extension purposes (which you have Dorm Dark Hole for). Most of the choice point + assist selection you go against, Zero can easily get past. He definitely gets mileage after Dark Harmonizer as a Sogenmu'd up Zero can beat anything in the game and pressurize for days against the best of characters. The most trouble Zero is going to have is against full on zoning team with space covering projectiles against which you have to time Buster -> Lightning with assist calls to catch them on the happy birthday. He can also play lame and space out while calling Dark Harmonizer. Ton of meterless damage, lots of priority and get in options while being fairly self reliant.

VIPER

If she has meter she can blow through a ton of point + assist set ups by just using EX moves on demand. With Dark Harmonizer on deck this enables her to do thus. If you are capable, you can attempt Seismo spam to keep assists at bay or Seismo plus Optic Blast or simply buy time to call Morrigan. There should be DHC synergy between Viper and Dormammu. She will eat up a ton of meter but it will be meter well spent. She is easily one of the strongest characters in terms of pure defensive options which is what you are looking for. If you are up to the execution challenge, then I would definitely recommend this character on your team.

VERGIL

I personally would not recommend this character be played without a good horizontal assist on the team... and the only exception is if he has Dark Harmonizer on deck. Simply put, if Vergil has meter to blow he shouldn't have trouble against anything because he would overwhelm the opposition by just burning meter. Devil Triggered Vergil is easily a top 5 character and has trouble against virtually nothing. The same can be said for him with Summoned Swords. Dark Hole can cover him and set up some left/rights but on this team Vergil basically wants to one man show with Dark Harmonizer. DHC synergy should be fine as well. Vergil should be able to use Dark Hole for combo extensions with Hightime as well. You would still need to play exceptionally well defensively with Vergil and buy time with Round Trip/Judgment Cut for Dark Harmonizer calls. As a bonus, Rapid Slash would be ideal for Dormammu as he can extend combos with it easily in the corner (since he can now wall bounce to get to the corner easily during combos) and Rapid Slash on block pushes them ALL THE WAY FULL SCREEN.

DANTE

Pretty much the same as Vergil only he is more capable I feel in this team set up. He can go Devil trigger if he wishes to and Dark Hole allows him to do the one thing he badly needs... combo off of air throw. He can play against numerous match ups and Stinger Reverb Shock into Fireworks is a great harassment against many assist calls. He is self capable in spacing and buying time for Morrigan assist calls. DHC synergy should work out as well. Nothing much to say here except this character fits well on that team set up but it's Dante... he's good on any team. I am sure Jam Session would be a great asset on the team if you ever need it.

TRISH

Another solid pick for the team. Trish and Morrigan is a tried and true combination where Trish can just super jump, set traps while calling Morrigan. Trish loves meter on deck and can pressure opponents with Round Harvest. Her overall point game is strong and she can handle multiple match ups. She can assist punish with Max Voltage into Chaotic Flames. Dark Hole covers up space for Trish and that's about it, nothing substantial but she doesn't need it so it's not a big loss. Out of all those teams that you are worried about... I would be wary about Vajra and Hidden Missiles teams vs Trish. Other than that Trish with meter should be fine. Peakaboo assist is great on any defensively heavy team.
I think these are all good aside from Trish. Keep in mind that my point character isn't actually serving as a battery for Dormammu - I get 5 bars with Dormammu in 20 seconds of running away, it's cake. I need a point character that needs meter enough to justify Dark Harmonizer being there. Other than that, your suggestions are solid, and I thank you.

IMO, Trish can't handle Vajra/Hidden Missiles alone, and she can't do anything with the meter she builds except inflict mediocre chip damage.

Hmmm...

Wesker
Trish
Spencer
Magneto
Super Skrull

Honorable mentions:
Zero
Nova

Most cover distance extremely quickly. They function great without assists, have great hyper coverage, crazy XF benefits, good to great mixups and a few even have the almighty invul frames which can catch opponents off guard if they blow their XF too early.

She was the VERY first one that came to mind, but I wouldn't feel comfortable with her alone. She is a FANTASTIC choice for a point character though.

Edit: Just reread his post. Edited a tiny bit.
Thank you.

Wesker is pretty garbage on that team honestly. He has no use for Dark Harmonizer unless your game plan is to spam Phantom Dance and hope that it crosses up.
Lots of Rhino Charges! :-O

viper or zero

both build good meter but viper often times has to use it but you can do good 600-700k meterless with her as well so it's not really necessary to burn through THAT much. her ex seismo is soooooo good plus optic blast is fairly fast so she can keep some assists off screen for sure.
I'm leaning between Zero, Viper, Skrull, Spencer, and Dante. Why do I have to hate most of the characters that fit best on my team? FML.

Haha, yeah, him and Spencer are characters that IMO should always be in English.

As for Karst's question.

Well, I used Zero and Dormamu on the same team in vanilla and they worked well together, shouldn't be too different in Ultimate. All that meter Morrigan makes could be used to ensure combos always end in Rekkoha, and that you always have the threat of Sougenmu and Genmu Zero.
They do work well together, you are right.

Yo Karst

Spencer sounds like the guy you're looking for. You can even use Dormammu's Pillar assist in the corner for extended up wire grapple combos and Dormammu can even use OTG Flame Carpet + Angled Wire Grapple Assist for a relaunch.

And in general, he can't lose because he has a bionic ARM.

NB: my phone capitalized arm. Not fixing that.
Maybe if his DLC outfit has different quotes... :-/

Also, I'm surprised no one mentioned Hawkeye. What gives?

enzo_gt

tagged by Blackace
So apparently PR Balrog hasn't officially dropped Dante, only saying that there was no need to bust him out. Also more interestingly he said he toyed around with Vergil, but honestly feels that Dante is the better, more practical character.

Nerfs can't stop Dante.
From the FGW thread:

pr_balrog: I still play dante
pr_balrog: i might drop wesker for dante and use the ice assist

Also, can someone explain how Firebrand's Bon Voyage just went through Spell of Vishanti on stream? Shit blew my mind.

From the FGW thread:

pr_balrog: I still play dante
pr_balrog: i might drop wesker for dante and use the ice assist

Also, can someone explain how Firebrand's Bon Voyage just went through Spell of Vishanti on stream? Shit blew my mind.
It's a grab animation. Firebrand just happened to touch Dr. Strange a frame or two before the pillar came out.

enzo_gt

tagged by Blackace
Stay free Enzo
iOS0uggcICQyw.jpg

zlatko

Banned
just do the gunshot into thc. If you have 1 meter, it will just do max wesker by himself.

Wow mind blown. I had no clue this is how people were doing this. LOL

Different question then. If you do a combo, launch, air combo to ground launch, then gun shot, what combo do you do to follow up to get another launch to the air?

Is it crouching L M H then launch? I was having issues with him were if I mash after gunshot to pick them OTG, then I teleport, but if I wait too long, then the moves won't connect.

enzo_gt

tagged by Blackace

Different question then. If you do a combo, launch, air combo to ground launch, then gun shot, what combo do you do to follow up to get another launch to the air?

Is it crouching L M H then launch? I was having issues with him were if I mash after gunshot to pick them OTG, then I teleport, but if I wait too long, then the moves won't connect.
If you do an OTG gunshot after a launch and air combo, your only option is THC unless your in X-Factor, or you have assists to keep them there after you prop them up.

A Pretty Panda

fuckin' called it, man

Pretty sure you can't relaunch like that unless you're xfactored. You can do cr. LMHS after otg gun shot if it started with an air grab.

zlatko

Banned
If you do an OTG gunshot after a launch and air combo, your only option is THC unless your in X-Factor, or you have assists to keep them there after you prop them up.

Ah okay. Hawkeye triple burst assist should do the trick to get another launch hopefully. :)

I'll pop back in just to help my boy Karst out with his soul searching.

Play Felicia/Dormammu/Morrigan. You're welcome.

Felicia has all the properties of a strong anchor, morrigan assist keeps her in constant buddy mode, and you and I both know that you won't be happy unless you're playing some weird occult character.

Everybody else, stay free.

---
PEACE.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom