• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Ultimate Marvel vs. Capcom 3 |OT| of 9 Years Urley

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dahbomb

The execution at the top level of this game is so bad right now.
Agreed. And Clockwork worked on the guide so he had more time on the game than others.

Man West coast has a considerable number of Dooms, Spencers and Zeros.

Also Floe's Nemesis was doing work. It appears that Nemesis has an infinite juggle with the rocket launcher on assists because he basically took 90% off Doom and Ammy's health by doing it over and over again.

Dahbomb

Wesker will get shoehorned as long as he has the staple OTG/combo extender and absurd X factor bonuses for OCVs.

Like Wesker says: "I am the staple OTG you get exposed and raped with"

GuardianE

Santa May Claus
Wesker will get shoehorned as long as he has the staple OTG/combo extender and absurd X factor bonuses for OCVs.

I agree to some extent... though now that every character has an OTG (obviously some more useful than others), it makes it less of a "necessity" to have an OTG assist as it was in Vanilla. You can find ways to work around it in Ultimate.

Dahbomb

Hulk is so beast in this game. I don't think there is any character in the game that puts the fear of pressing buttons in you like Hulk does. Basically just within the span of st.H, Gamma Charge -> Forward charge into Gamma Crush that's basically 4 punishable moves but all 4 either have super armor on them or being invincible on start up and lead to heavy damage. Hulk can just assist call Gamma Charge/Rape you and then when he gets happy birthday, it's X factor Gamma Rape into Gamma Crush. When you finally learn to not press buttons, get command grabbed into 200K damage plus hyper. If Hulk got a full combo off of command throws or regular throws he would seriously be top tier.

Working on a Hulk/Deadpool team with the Katanarama for extended Hulk combos and combos off air throws. Feels so good calling Kataranama while charging the INCREDIBLE PUNCH. The Incredible Punch, outside of being a great chain move into your magic series for hit confirming, is a mind game in of itself. Charge button... they press a button you Gamma Rape them into damage. They don't press a button, get command grabbed. Good for in coming characters too... also DAT cross up gamma charge.

I heard some good stuff about some godly Hulk play at the Option Select stream. Will watch it to level up my Hulk.

LakeEarth

Also Floe's Nemesis was doing work. It appears that Nemesis has an infinite juggle with the rocket launcher on assists because he basically took 90% off Doom and Ammy's health by doing it over and over again.
Yup. Just keep Tiger Knee rocketing until dead.

The Galactus fight seems to be harder. I can't believe I just lost to him on very easy. It's partly my fault for going in with only one character I'm familiar with (I'm aiming to get the gold trophies), but I never really had a problem with him in vanilla.

For some reason, it makes me feel ashamed that I had to use a continue in arcade on very easy.
Block, don't go for extended combos (just jump MHS for most characters), and don't forget you can x-factor and block his insta-kill moves.

Axis

ok could i seriously work viper/zero onto the same team?

something like viper/zero/dante or viper/zero/doom? open to suggestions about chars to pair with them

Bizazedo

If Hulk got a full combo off of command throws or regular throws he would seriously be top tier.
He can full combo off his command throw with Wesker OTG. Might work with Deadpool, too, but dunno the range of 'Pools.

Wesker's works on the entire cast.

He's still free to zoning teams, though. Sentinel helps mitigate it. Hulk / Sentinel / Wesker'd be potentially nasty.

D

Deleted member 13876

Unconfirmed Member
I feel like I was doing a bit better on stream yesterday too, barring incredibly random assist calls I wasn't even aware I was doing. Doing random assist approaches fucked my muscle memory up. Kept pressing A1 right before an L.

Dahbomb

Hulk / Sentinel / Wesker'd be potentially nasty.
Team Noah lol.

I can't get the Katanarama to hit at the range for command throw from some distances. Works if my back is closer to the corner.

I have Doom on my Hulk team. I mix around Doom's assist depending on the team match up and composition, I use Rocks/Beams/Hidden Missiles. My Doom is garbage but I can at least play fraudulent with j.S and MMf+HS in the corner all day. I can do the Buktooth loop but general movement with Doom is shitty. Thank god for air to air MMS... so easy mode. I have Deadpool for zoning wars and the AA Gamma Wave assist as well. I think it's a fun team to play in casuals just because of Gamma Rape.

Bizazedo

Yeah, Noah, but still. It works because of how long drones stay out / if they crouch to avoid drones, hello command throw. Your Doom would also work, obviously, since he works with everyone.

My team was actually WORSE since it was for fun (Zero / Hulk / Wesker), but if Zero hit anyone they were probably dead at least lol.

Unsure on timing for Katanarama, but how I get it to work with Wesker is..

Command throw, dash forward, jump cancel dash, call Wesker at height of Hulk's jump, land, jump again normally forward, j.H (OTG bounces them up into you), j.S, land, st. M or cr. H depending where I am or how tightly I want to do the combo, S, standard air series, blah blah blah.

I haven't tried to make it even longer in Ultimate, that's what I did in vanilla, but it still works and can probably be improved.

For most of the cast you don't even need the dash, can just jump after them normally and call Wesker when you see them hit the ground and their legs start falling to the ground. That's the timing I use anyways.

For Deadpool, try the dash and jump cancel timing, maybe it'll work.

Dahbomb

That's what I do too. It works but not all the time. Maybe it's the execution. I can get it to work with X-23 Ankle Slicer because she slides more.

I am mot dissing team Noah, it's legit. Simple yet powerful. It has everything Hulk needs.

Grecco

I dove through all of the WNF matches to find Combofiend vs. Clockwork, and it was one of the shittiest matches by either of them I've ever seen. I dunno if it was pressure or what, but from Clock missing the first OTG like 3 seconds into the match it was just all downhill from there for both of them.

The match btw is at 13:30 here in part 3: http://www.twitch.tv/leveluplive/b/302017722

also, seeing people not able to kill characters with Level 3 Strider is hilarious. That character is such a bad anchor and yet people are still trying to force it. I know Clock isn't, but all the theorycraft of X/X/Strider Vajra is not the way to play that character.

I dont know. Hes essentially an assist character in that setup. Is he a weak anchor? Perhaps, but if its him vs 3 dudes you did something wrong.

JeTmAn81

Yeah, Noah, but still. It works because of how long drones stay out / if they crouch to avoid drones, hello command throw. Your Doom would also work, obviously, since he works with everyone.

My team was actually WORSE since it was for fun (Zero / Hulk / Wesker), but if Zero hit anyone they were probably dead at least lol.

Unsure on timing for Katanarama, but how I get it to work with Wesker is..

Command throw, dash forward, jump cancel dash, call Wesker at height of Hulk's jump, land, jump again normally forward, j.H (OTG bounces them up into you), j.S, land, st. M or cr. H depending where I am or how tightly I want to do the combo, S, standard air series, blah blah blah.

I haven't tried to make it even longer in Ultimate, that's what I did in vanilla, but it still works and can probably be improved.

For most of the cast you don't even need the dash, can just jump after them normally and call Wesker when you see them hit the ground and their legs start falling to the ground. That's the timing I use anyways.

For Deadpool, try the dash and jump cancel timing, maybe it'll work.
Deadpool comes out quicker but doesn't move as far as Wesker, so to combo after the command throw you need to wait a little longer after the jump cancel before calling Deadpool. The main advantage to Deadpool over Wesker is that sometimes Wesker whiffs when comboing off air throw but Deadpool never does. Also, to get an OTG followup after an air combo, hit MMS instead of MMHS for the correct spacing.

Bizazedo

Deadpool comes out quicker but doesn't move as far as Wesker, so to combo after the command throw you need to wait a little longer after the jump cancel before calling Deadpool. The main advantage to Deadpool over Wesker is that sometimes Wesker whiffs when comboing off air throw but Deadpool never does. Also, to get an OTG followup after an air combo, hit MMS instead of MMHS for the correct spacing.

Yeah. He'd rarely miss in vanilla off a normal air throw (Wesker), but it was easy to remember the characters he'd miss on (entirely character specific).

He misses on so many people in Ultimate due to being too close :(. Deadpool is definitely ideal for Hulk IF y'can get the command throw OTG spacing + timing down.

Weird question, but how's the single player? I think I'll mostly play it that way, is it worth it just for that?

Severely lacking. The only FGs with decent single player this gen are VF5 and MK9, which is fitting for me because they're my foreveralone games that noone wants to play locally.

ruxtpin

Banned
How's the online community for someone who doesn't focus on playing fighters? I don't have the skills, nor can I really dedicate the time to learn a fighting game in-depth - would I still have fun with this? I liked MvC2 because of it's outrageousness, but I wasn't good at that game either.

GuardianE

Santa May Claus
How's the online community for someone who doesn't focus on playing fighters? I don't have the skills, nor can I really dedicate the time to learn a fighting game in-depth - would I still have fun with this? I liked MvC2 because of it's outrageousness, but I wasn't good at that game either.

The online can be a little brutal because it's filled with people that know how to play. The game does a pretty good job of pairing you up with novices early on in Ranked, but it's much better if you have friends who have the game who can play on your level.

vg260

Weird question, but how's the single player? I think I'll mostly play it that way, is it worth it just for that?

I'm still learning characters, doing all the missions, and doing arcade unlocking, so I've essentially been playing single player so far. I'm too ocd to jump right into multiplayer. I think it's fun for single player, and way more fun in single player than SF. For $40, the time I've spent so in single player is worth it. Hopefully H&H mode will make it more fun.

D

Deleted member 13876

Unconfirmed Member
I'm still learning characters, doing all the missions, and doing arcade unlocking, so I've essentially been playing single player so far. I'm too ocd to jump right into multiplayer. I think it's fun for single player, and way more fun in single player than SF. For $40, the time I've spent so in single player is worth it. Hopefully H&H mode will make it more fun.

They're starting to take their sweet time with that mode.

if you're using doom on your hulk team, can't you call doom missiles before the command throw and the missiles will otg? i haven't tried it myself, but i would think it would work similar to how spidey's webthrow works.

h&h mode will probably be the best thing for both offline and online casual players.

For the first week of online matches expect to be bodied hard. If you don't like that, don't pick up this game. Those who call this game scrub friendly are idiots who don't know what they are talking about, this game is deep in ways that are very different from other fighting games. But if you don't mind that you will get better eventually, the learning curve after the start isn't that bad. You just need to pick the right beginner friendly characters and work on your fundamentals. But yeah expect to get extremely frustrated at the start of playing this game.

erpg

GAF parliamentarian
h&h mode will probably be the best thing for both offline and online casual players.
Yep, I'm waiting for this. I don't know why I bother buying so many fighting games when I never even manage to beat the AI on Medium, but if you let me collect cards and stuff, I'm sold. More games need that Smash Bros. collection madness.

enzo_gt

tagged by Blackace
if you're using doom on your hulk team, can't you call doom missiles before the command throw and the missiles will otg? i haven't tried it myself, but i would think it would work similar to how spidey's webthrow works.

ONLY if it has an offline versus mode. Note that this has not been confirmed or hinted at thus far, people just assume so, which is worrying to me.
Yep, I'm waiting for this. I don't know why I bother buying so many fighting games when I never even manage to beat the AI on Medium, but if you let me collect cards and stuff, I'm sold. More games need that Smash Bros. collection madness.
The AI at medium isn't that bad, but people should stop feeling bad for not being able to beat the harder levels of AI. They're straight up cheap and have reactions better than any other player alive. It's impractical to compare yourself to something that can use a counter on reaction to anything you do in the span of a single frame and there's nothing you can do about it.

kirblar

Looks like the throw-tech at any time "feature" is actually a bug and is getting fixed in the next patch update, per Niitsuma's twitter.

For the first week of online matches expect to be bodied hard. If you don't like that, don't pick up this game. Those who call this game scrub friendly are idiots who don't know what they are talking about, this game is deep in ways that are very different from other fighting games. But if you don't mind that you will get better eventually, the learning curve after the start isn't that bad. You just need to pick the right beginner friendly characters and work on your fundamentals. But yeah expect to get extremely frustrated at the start of playing this game.
Do you have to be so absolute and hardcore about it?

LakeEarth

The AI at medium isn't that bad, but people should stop feeling bad for not being able to beat the harder levels of AI. They're straight up cheap and have reactions better than any other player alive. It's impractical to compare yourself to something that can use a counter on reaction to anything you do in the span of a single frame and there's nothing you can do about it.
You have to play a zoning game against very hard AI. If you go at them they'll always beat whatever you put out there. Hidden Missiles usually makes the AI stop dead in its tracks, which allows for a lot of chip possibilities.

Oh, and never face Skrull. Press a button? METEOR SMASH!! Call assist? METEOR SMASH!! Don't do anything? COMMAND GRAB!

D

Deleted member 13876

Unconfirmed Member
Hmm, what's all this then?

umvc3-vita-5-600x337.jpg

Vita screenshot.

Solune

Hulk is so beast in this game. I don't think there is any character in the game that puts the fear of pressing buttons in you like Hulk does. Basically just within the span of st.H, Gamma Charge -> Forward charge into Gamma Crush that's basically 4 punishable moves but all 4 either have super armor on them or being invincible on start up and lead to heavy damage. Hulk can just assist call Gamma Charge/Rape you and then when he gets happy birthday, it's X factor Gamma Rape into Gamma Crush. When you finally learn to not press buttons, get command grabbed into 200K damage plus hyper. If Hulk got a full combo off of command throws or regular throws he would seriously be top tier.

I heard some good stuff about some godly Hulk play at the Option Select stream. Will watch it to level up my Hulk.

LOL, can't unhear now. Also agreed with everything said. It's too bad the command grab combo follow up is corner only. I play a fraudulent Hulk but it's so fun.

If you have timestamps post em!

enzo_gt

tagged by Blackace
Hmm, what's all this then?

umvc3-vita-5-600x337.jpg

Vita screenshot.
What the fuck? Source?

The colour on the right is the Herald textured colour, but then what is on the left? And you have to unlock them it seems? Why is there a gift box? I DEMAND MORE INFO, STOP TEASING US NIITSUMA-SAN.

Neki

I dove through all of the WNF matches to find Combofiend vs. Clockwork, and it was one of the shittiest matches by either of them I've ever seen. I dunno if it was pressure or what, but from Clock missing the first OTG like 3 seconds into the match it was just all downhill from there for both of them.

The match btw is at 13:30 here in part 3: http://www.twitch.tv/leveluplive/b/302017722

also, seeing people not able to kill characters with Level 3 Strider is hilarious. That character is such a bad anchor and yet people are still trying to force it. I know Clock isn't, but all the theorycraft of X/X/Strider Vajra is not the way to play that character.

a lot of people like the hard knockdown from strider, that's why he anchors.

enzo_gt

tagged by Blackace
Just went to Eventhubs.

Niitsuma answers more questions:
Will the patch coming out before the end of the year include Heroes and Heralds Mode? - takehito_koiso

Niitsuma: Very soon I will be able to talk about [Heroes and Heralds], so please wait a little longer.

Oh, that's great to hear! One more question... will you be able to transfer data in the Vita version of the game? - takehito_koiso

Niitsuma: There are certain places where you can transfer data and certain places you can't. Please wait for finer details in an upcoming publication...

I have a question. During certain animations it is possible to escape from throws. How did this come to pass? - kuuronn

Niitsuma: That is a bug that appeared after we fixed a bug in the previous [Vanilla] version of the game. The fix will be included with the patch that is coming out before the end of the year.

Some Vita gameplay.

umvc3-vita-6-600x337.jpg

Gold is a variation it seems. Not on the console versions' discs though, it may be a Vita-only thing. Vita release is coming up, so maybe H&H will be patched in around or after then?

Also weird that H&H doesn't have an option in the main menu or in the offline section. Perhaps even the offline portion of it is bunched into Network mode? Odd.

EDIT2:
You can exchange herald colors with other players using the Vita’s Near mode and Wi-Fi multiplayer allows you to play and spectate matches. Oddly enough, it seems like the entire game can be played using the touch panel.
wat.

Obviously not for complete outsiders, but this game is VERY scrub friendly for fighting game enthusiasts.

Obviously not for complete outsiders, but this game is VERY scrub friendly for fighting game enthusiasts.
Shoot, Floe even went on record last night on WNF by stating that Skullgirls and KOF will have a harder time than UMvC3 and SFIV because they are more difficult and technical(especially KOF).

JeTmAn81

I think there will be a pretty big uproar if offline versus play is not a part of Heroes & Heralds mode. Playing that mode with a friend seems to be the biggest draw of H&H, and not having offline play would also make it difficult or perhaps impossible for high-profile matches to be streamed. Capcom has disappointed us before, but I don't think they will this time. Glad to hear the throw teching thing is a bug. It's a pretty ridiculous thing to have in a game like this.

Shoot, Floe even went on record last night on WNF by stating that Skullgirls and KOF will have a harder time than UMvC3 and SFIV because they are more difficult and technical(especially KOF).

KoF has a bit of a barrier of entry with regards to getting a hang of the system/mechanics, but at an intermediate level it's about even with sf4 with regards to honesty/scrubiness of metagame. I.E. To be a solid ryu in sf4, you'll have to put a proportionately equal amount of thought as the ryu player. Once you can actually do everything in KoF, a lot of times the game turns into super hop a lot. Regardless, KoF13 is still a super awesome game, and I've even started a weekly gathering JUST for the game in my city :)

Skullgirls, I think is going to be amazing. Regardless of what people perceive the difficulty of the game to be, Mike Z is doing everything in his power to actually TEACH people how to play in his game, which I think is awesome. So even if it's complex, I believe it's training mode will do a really good job of getting people acclimated ala vf4:evo.

It appears that Nemesis has an infinite juggle with the rocket launcher on assists because he basically took 90% off Doom and Ammy's health by doing it over and over again.

I discovered this on accident by repeatedly tiger kneeing rockets in arcade mode. If you tag an assist, you can just keep on shooting them.

This is the real reason I use Wesker. That, and he's easy to use on point. That OTG assist lets you do do easy combo extensions with just about anyone, which makes picking up a new character and being competitive out the gate a lot easier to handle. The fact that Wesker is (seemingly) overpowered right now is just a really nice bonus.

Ken

Any advice for doing this Vergil combo:

c.L s.>MH> Stinger> Rising Slash >TrickDown> j.MMHS.. .

After the Rising Slash to Trick, I'll input jump but Vergil doesn't jump, doesn't jump high enough, or the character flips and recovers before I get to the correct height for j.M to connect.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom