• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Ultimate Marvel vs. Capcom 3 |OT| of 9 Years Urley

Status
Not open for further replies.
Question about Ryu:

Sometimes I see people do Shinku Hadoken after Tatsu in the air. When I do this and XFC into a second Shinku Hadoken, the other character usually falls out so I have to aim the searchlight at an angle downward, usually missing a good number of hits.

I've also been doing an air combo ending with S, land, jump and do Shinku Hadoken while the opponent is on the ground, and doing the same XFC seems to let me land more hits.

Is there some type of huge damage decrease if I do a j. S before the hyper, meaning that I should be doing my hyper combos without launching back to the ground?

I'm not sure about the damage decrease, but if you wait for the final hit of air Shinku, the opponent pops into the air slightly, giving you enough time to pop XF and do another Shinku.

Ken

I'm not sure about the damage decrease, but if you wait for the final hit of air Shinku, the opponent pops into the air slightly, giving you enough time to pop XF and do another Shinku.
Ah, okay thanks. I must have been XFC too quickly since the character just drops immediately.

lol man what a way for me to go out in my last match. All I had to do was a random maximum wesker to chip out x-23 and instead I get happy birthdayed. I guess the armor on Nemesis' assist wasnt as good as I thought.

shaowebb

Haggar is blowing up the bum stream. Using pipe to cancel cr H OTG with an assist called to connect it into whatever he throws after the pipe equals all his combos have 3 resets.
Shit is beautiful.

Arde5643

Haggar is blowing up the bum stream. Using pipe to cancel cr H OTG with an assist called to connect it into whatever he throws after the pipe equals all his combos have 3 resets.
Shit is beautiful.

I have a feeling this type of team will get bodied hard by a lame team like Die's though.

shaowebb

http://www.twitch.tv/bum1six3

They're going to archive tonights stream because nobody sees the stuff they're using at Bum house in tourney. Got a Sent using something other than a fly/unfly or basic BNB doing some fun extension resets after hard drive via crH into launcher and an INSANE Haggar series of combos. Tron would be hard pressed to keep combos going this long...

Tune in guys. This is the first night I've had to just lounge on a stream pretty heavy in awhile and this shit is nuts.
PS- Weskers getting blown up.

EDIT: HAGGAR PERFECTED NOVA/VERGIL/DOOM
Get in here or watch it archived!

They're going to archive tonights stream because nobody sees the stuff they're using at Bum house in tourney. Got a Sent using something other than a fly/unfly or basic BNB doing some fun extension resets after hard drive via crH into launcher and an INSANE Haggar series of combos. Tron would be hard pressed to keep combos going this long...

Tune in guys. This is the first night I've had to just lounge on a stream pretty heavy in awhile and this shit is nuts.

Holy shit dat haggar combo after his level 3!

Seraphis Cain

bad gameplay lol
Hey, does anyone use that PDP Fightpad with the clicky analog stick (like the NGPC) for Marvel? My GameStop has one for $20 and I'm considering picking it up.

Alright, after a lot of soul searching...I'm back to Firebrand...

Anyway!

Firebrand gave me the highlight of my UMvC3 career tonight.

I was playing an Iron Fist / Hawkeye / Strider combo, which was really annoying because Vajra kept hitting me out of the sky and then Iron Fist would kill Firebrand. For the most part, I didn't have a problem with the combination, though.

So one match, Hawkeye was coming in, and I was setting up my Firebrand unblockable. So he Gimlet, XFC, Gimlets. Right before the first Gimlet fires off, I let go of H to let Firebrand soar toward him, and Firebrand actually dodged Gimlet. Then the XFC, Gimlet - Firebrand dodges that too! The little guy is just that damn fast, he runs around dodging Gimlets!

shaowebb

Alright, after a lot of soul searching...I'm back to Firebrand...

Anyway!

Firebrand gave me the highlight of my UMvC3 career tonight.

I was playing an Iron Fist / Hawkeye / Strider combo, which was really annoying because Vajra kept hitting me out of the sky and then Iron Fist would kill Firebrand. For the most part, I didn't have a problem with the combination, though.

So one match, Hawkeye was coming in, and I was setting up my Firebrand unblockable. So he Gimlet, XFC, Gimlets. Right before the first Gimlet fires off, I let go of H to let Firebrand soar toward him, and Firebrand actually dodged Gimlet. Then the XFC, Gimlet - Firebrand dodges that too! The little guy is just that damn fast, he runs around dodging Gimlets!

You dodged two gimlets? O_O Damn thats awesome. (feels good to hangout again for once)

Neki

defeated the phoneix, the 3rd lord, the rage quitter and the afk, and then the 3rd lord on kadey's stream.

feels good man.

the 3rd lord didn't know how to fight Sent, LOL

Kadey

Mrs. Harvey
Reminder PSN crew. I'm leaving the stream and lobby up all day. So feel free to play in it.

Edit: crap, I forgot to maximize the window, stay free me.

enzo_gt

tagged by Blackace

This is still live?! WTF?!

GAH

This might be a personal nitpick of mine, but I'm doing extended Spencer/Wesker/Storm combos and I come up online against an Ammy mashing H on anchor with level 3 X-Factor and 5 bars. Dammit, I hate dumb stuff like that. And if I snapped in Ammy, he had Zero as well, another mash H to win monster. Those two characters are capable of so much more and he's there using them like that.

Rage of the Gods

I mean, I won the matches... but still.

Dahbomb

I have discovered numerous ways of dodging the Gimlet.

A raw tag on reaction dodges Gimlet cleanly.

If you are using a hyper and someone tries to Gimlet punish you, DHCing at the hyper flash will dodge the gimlet completely

Various dodge maneuvers and movements like wave dashing and aerial movements also dodge Gimlet cleanly.

And like I said numerous times before, Haggar is good in this game because you get obscene damage from all of his options now if you play him point. Damage off of throw, command throw even LVL3. People say that Haggar is easy to lame out but once he gets in he is able to stay in and be +ve on block always. Still one of the best anti-rushdown/anti-Wolverine character in the game.

Can anyone go into detail about the new dhc glitch?
There is no new DHC glitch.

Certain hypers still cause the spinning state and cause a hard knockdown or soft knockdown if you cancel out of them. The damage/hit stun is NOT scaled but it allows Frank West to get a snap shot after various hypers by raw tagging in at the hard knockdown.

GuardianE

Santa May Claus
After a guy taunted me last night with team trenchcoat after beating my sub-team, I busted out my main team (which is admittedly 2/3 team trenchcoat) and Perfected him.

Feels good, man. Forgot to taunt back, though.

I have discovered numerous ways of dodging the Gimlet.

A raw tag on reaction dodges Gimlet cleanly.

If you are using a hyper and someone tries to Gimlet punish you, DHCing at the hyper flash will dodge the gimlet completely

Various dodge maneuvers and movements like wave dashing and aerial movements also dodge Gimlet cleanly.

That's good to know. Although, if you can raw tag, you should be able to simply block Gimlet, right? Unless you can cancel things into raw tags? I don't rawtag often enough to know if that's possible.

V_Arnold

I am rolling with a Vergil/Strange/Strider and-or a Vergil/Strange/Dante nowadays.
I still have two issues.

1) Strider needs a lot of practice. I do not feel like getting him out 3rd and using XF3+Oroboros is going to make me a good player. It is bullshit. I should practice with him as a point-on character, but then, I do not even know what assists should I use for my two other members. :D

2) Same for Dante, I am getting quite comfortable with Vergil (I love doing airborne opp:f+H -> teleport to other side of the stage -> continue combo stuffs online, it was hard to do first, but becomes more and more easier), but I need a LOT of time with Dante. Thing is, I do not know who to rock once I become proper with Dante. Vergil does not need to be on point. He is good for 2nd spot. Then what? Dante/Vergil/Strider? Or Strider/Vergil/Dante?

Dilemmas, dilemmas...

GuardianE

Santa May Claus
I am rolling with a Vergil/Strange/Strider and-or a Vergil/Strange/Dante nowadays.
I still have two issues.

1) Strider needs a lot of practice. I do not feel like getting him out 3rd and using XF3+Oroboros is going to make me a good player. It is bullshit. I should practice with him as a point-on character, but then, I do not even know what assists should I use for my two other members. :D

2) Same for Dante, I am getting quite comfortable with Vergil (I love doing airborne opp:f+H -> teleport to other side of the stage -> continue combo stuffs online, it was hard to do first, but becomes more and more easier), but I need a LOT of time with Dante. Thing is, I do not know who to rock once I become proper with Dante. Vergil does not need to be on point. He is good for 2nd spot. Then what? Dante/Vergil/Strider? Or Strider/Vergil/Dante?

Dilemmas, dilemmas...

I don't know much about Strider, except that people mention he's a solid anchor. I'm not sure if having Strider on point is really what you'd want, considering that Dante and Vergil really take advantage of his Vajra assist. If I were rocking the team, I'd be using Vergil/Dante/Strider actually.

I feel that Vergil needs assists more out of the three just because his doesn't have the mobility of either of your two other characters. And with this arrangement, you can obviously set up some sick setups mid-combo with DT DHC DT.

I wouldn't fret about using Ouroboros. Having a strong X-Factor anchor is a part of the game. Maybe you can run Strider on point for a while to make sure that you know how to play him well, and that way you know he's not a crutch to you. ;)

I still have two issues.

Dilemmas, dilemmas...

Strider - comparatively has low damage output. However, with x-factor level 3, this weakness is no longer an issue. So you're left with a high speed, high mix-up, high reset character with the benefit of x-factor level 3 damage. And then you have the meter build up possibility for to use his level 3.

Which is why a lot of people tend to have Strider as anchor. His assist also works well with any character, since it's absolution in effectiveness isn't character dependent.

I like to have my Vergil first, and Dante second since Vergil can benefit from Dante's weasal shot assist. However, an equally strong argument can be made that Dante would heavily benefit off of Vergil assist. Especially near corner, as Vergil's assist would push back your opponent, allowing Dante's teleport to appear infront of your opponent, as opposed to the expected behind.

Personally - if I were in control of your time, I'd have Vergil, Dante, and Strider. But really, with that kind of team anything would be fine. Vergil could easily be your anchor as well. But yeah, V, D, S is what I'd use. My team is Vergil, Trish, Wesker - so maybe somebody who is a dedicated Strider player can help answer your question to more effectively.

I think that guy who was AFK last night was trying to boost the 300 online matches trophy. I mean, it's the only reason that makes sense to join a lobby, sign up to fight, then lose 5 in a row afk... I'm sure he was dying AFK after I left even... it makes sense; pop in a full lobby that will hopefully remain active, leave yourself AFK, people get free wins, you get free +1s to your online match count.

Hopefully Kadey made a new lobby without him in it? I can probably leave my PS3 on today and fight when my turn comes up, so I'll try to join the lobby in about 30 minutes or so.

--

To chime in on Strider; if you're not a really really good blocker, he should NOT be on point. The combo of having 700k health and being annoying makes him a preferred target and if someone competent gets a hit in on you, you're pretty much fucked. I was learning Strider as I went (only missions 1-6 for some "training") as I was trying to use him as 2nd character in my Dante | <someone> | Morrigan team. Dormammu was making me look free, so I decided to try him. I go up against Degen with him on point (A1: Dante, A2: Morrigan) and fuck up and get the command for a wall cling -- but I couldn't remember which button did what for wall cling, and hit S instead of H to dive attack, got clipped off the wall, and less than 10 seconds in the match was Strider-less.

If you don't like using him 3rd and you know this, put him second. Either Dante or Vergil benefit from each other's assists (and can benefit from Strider's Vajra assist), so at that point it becomes personal preference. I'd put whomever you're stronger with first so that you do some damage and take a character or two out before your anchor comes in, most likely.

Dahbomb

Team Swordmasters aka Vergil/Dante/Strider is pretty much always going to be played in that order. Dante on Weasel Shot of course. Dante + Strider is pretty godly even if you get Vergil killed off early. Strider + XFLVL3 and Ourouborus speaks for itself.

Bizazedo

I can't wait for the patch so I can go back to my air throwing ways.

Fought a guy last night, punished his Dante teleport almost every single time with an airthrow, but his Spencer it was techtechtechtechtechtechtechtechtechtechtechtechtechtechtech..

/breath

techtechtechtechtechtechtechtechtech..

Wesker feels so nerfed without those easy airthrows.

/trollbait

So, MahvelGAF, I have prepared something for you. I sunk about 10 hours of work into this nonsense, but I think the result is quite amazing.

You see, I first thought "I can probably come up with a better roster than Marvel and Capcom, and my roster would be more popular.", and so I did. I still stand by that statement and change the "probably" to "definitely". I do have asked for a bit of help (crimsonspider), thus in his honor, one character has been chosen that I was unsure of.

I have then proceeded to create a character select screen for vanilla and Ultimate, though it's just basic icon placing, pretty much. But believe me, that was the biggest part of the work, LOL.

This roster makes the following assumptions:
36 characters for vanilla, with 2 DLC characters.
The planned 20 instead of 12 characters for Ultimate.
Free amount of DLC characters afterwards.
No limits on character choices from Capcom or Marvel (you will see why I note this).

One note, though, is that one DLC pair are essentially my personal wishful thinking. I feel, though, that overall, this roster would be pleasing pretty much everyone, and I don't think there would be many complaints left.

Anywho... Enough rambling. Here is my results:

Marvel vs. Capcom 3 Cast - What It Could Have Been

VANILLA
Capcom: Ryu, Chun-Li, C. Viper, Dante, Trish, Chris, Wesker, Jill, Morrigan, Jedah, X, Zero, Tron Bonne, Haggar, Spencer, Arthur, Viewtiful Joe, Amaterasu
Marvel: Wolverine, Magneto, Storm, Phoenix, X-23, Captain America, Iron Man, Thor, She-Hulk, Black Panther, Ultron, MODOK, Spider-Man, Doctor Octopus, Hulk, Dr. Strange, Dr. Doom, Deadpool

Character Select Screen (with first DLC pack)

ULTIMATE
Capcom: Roll, Frank West, Gene, Firebrand, Rathalos, Felicia, Captain Commando, Saki, Kaijin no Soki, Nina (BoF2)
Marvel: Hawkeye, Thanos, Nova, Iron Fist, Super-Skrull, Dormammu, Elektra, Gambit, Invisible Woman, Colossus (the current one also is the Juggernaut)

Character Select Screen (with all DLC packs, bordered green)

DLC
Skilled Hunters Pack: Strider Hiryu & Ghost Rider <- Available for Vanilla
Evil Overlords Pack: M. Bison & Green Goblin
Attorneys at Law Pack: Phoenix Wright & Daredevil
Demonic Fathers Pack: Vergil & Blade
Ladies Packin' A Punch Pack: Ruby Heart & Ms. Marvel
Big Machines Pack: PTX40A & Sentinel
Otherworldly Creatures Pack: Nemesis & Shuma-Gorath
An Arremer Can Dream Pack: Franziska v. Karma & Cloak and Dagger

Still needs a Symbiote...

Believe me, that would've been one of the next additions on my list, but I already was feeling like there'd be FAR too many DLCs. Look at it that way: it's 16 DLC characters already (though I could omit my own dream-pack... but hey, personal note y'know? :3), and the base roster was already crammed as is. The roster in total has 72 characters. You can't please EVERYONE.

Thus, to everyone mentioning "XY is still missing", I propose: which of these characters (not named Franziska or Cloak & Dagger) would you drop instead, then? Cause all of these characters are more than worthy to be in a crossover.

mr. puppy

Banned
I still have two issues.

Dilemmas, dilemmas...

I use Dante/Strider/Taskmaster at the moment and really like it. When Strider gets out, you gotta be careful when to do XF3+Oro, b/c Oro doesn't build meter and when XF3 and it run out you're out of luck.

If theres 2/3 characters left I pop XF3, go in for kills since his speed is stupid, and build meter. I save Oro for the very last character since the 1v1 matchup is ridiculously in favor for Strider if you have Oro.

V_Arnold

Still needs Havok, Polaris, Psylocke (with purple non-asian alt..please.), Cyclops optionally, Black Bolt or a Gladiator :p
And I would drop easily Spidey-villains for these. Or X-23, even if I would rather drop mr.Popularity DIVEKICK-Troll, Wolverine, but hey.
Also Invisible Woman needs to go. She is hot, but that is about it.

Hey, does anyone use that PDP Fightpad with the clicky analog stick (like the NGPC) for Marvel? My GameStop has one for $20 and I'm considering picking it up.
i have one. i would not recommend it. i tried to use it seriously for over a month and got rid of it. the corners are hard to find. even if you would master it, you're thumb has to travel a lot further than it would on a dpad so it'll still be slower than a dpad. the only plus i guess is that its comfortable and won't give your thumb any calluses or whatever. on top of that, mine squeaks. its incredibly annoying, and i'm not sure if its degrading the perfomance of the stick or not. after a months use, some of the directions don't click as loud as others. maybe thats the reason its hard to find some of the corners, i don't know. maybe it's just mine only and i got unlucky with one that has bad alignment or whatever.

on the flip side, the buttons are amazing. when i switched back to ds3, i missed those microswitch buttons quite a bit. it's not worth the trade-off of the analog dpad stick thing though.

i paid $40 for mine though. at $20, i would say it might be worth a try depending on what you're using now. if you're running stock ps360, i'd say go for it. but if you already have a madcatz or hori, i'd say stick with those.

See, that's all just personal preference.

I put X-23 there for a specific reason, which is that she's one of the most important, popular and well-received modern Marvel characters. Modern Marvel NEEDS more rep.

I put Invisible Woman there for a reason as well - the Fantastic Four have absolutely no member there. Although they are mostly represented in Skrull, Sue has no real representation in his moveset, but she has an amazing moveset potential.

The lack Spider-Man villains are one of the biggest oversights in the real roster.

Regarding the characters Arnold listed, out of all those, I only ever considered Cyclops and Psylocke. However, Psylocke holds no more importance in the Marvel Universe - it's a similar situation as if someone would request Dazzler being added. Dazzler was really popular in the late 80s and early 90s, but now, she's not important at all. Same for Psylocke.

Havok, Polaris, Black Bolt... they're all too unimportant, although I personally LOVE Polaris and the Inhumans. The only Inhuman I would even come close to considering is Medusa.

Four problems:

-Felicia gotta go if we need four DS reps. At least Hsien-Ko was new and she'd be more interesting than Felicia. Jedah is already a major Rushdown character too.
-Invisible woman is a meh choice considering all the Marvel females you have at your disposal and the fact that Skrull is in there with F4 powers.
-No more Godforsaken Phoenix Wright characters. Dammit
-Daredevil in, but no Gambit or Venom? LOLZ

Your Roster is better than Capcom's outside of those issues.
What would one, reading carefully, take away from this?

BlazBlue roster is composed of extremely varied characters. Not one of them plays like the other. The closest ones by appearance are Mu and Nu even though one uses moving projectiles/multi hitting normals and the other sets mostly floating traps/single hits.

Mahvel on the other hand... a single change can benefit as many as seven characters in an instant because that many may fill a single archetype. That kind of thing happens when the roster gets so big so I don't fault them for that. SF feels sorta different though...
I would drop Invisible Woman for a Symbiote for sure.

Hell I would drop Invisible Woman for Psylocke.
indeed

I picked up one two weeks ago because I couldn't even pull of quarter-circle moves on my degrading 360 controller. I like it so far. The buttons are great. The only problem I have with it is that the shoryuken motion is hard to perform.

No Taskmaster, Psylocke or anymore Cosmic Mahvel?

Red Goblin, I am disappoint.

Look, if it was for me, I'd make a Cosmic Mahvel fighting game, purely based on those characters. But I was going for mostly popular characters. And Tasky, sadly, is not among them. Psylocke not really, as well.

Four problems:

-Felicia gotta go if we need four DS reps. At least Hsien-Ko was new and she'd be more interesting than Felicia. Jedah is already a major Rushdown character too.

I wasn't sure if I should go for Felicia or Hsien-Ko. I went with Felicia cause she's a veteran and people would cry if there's too little MvC2 characters.

-Invisible woman is a meh choice considering all the Marvel females you have at your disposal and the fact that Skrull is in there with F4 powers.

See last post.

-No more Godforsaken Phoenix Wright characters. Dammit

Franny is my own personal choice. You can ignore her and C&D completely. Just look how I named the "DLC pack" with them. :p

-Daredevil in, but no Gambit or Venom? LOLZ

Unlike Dahbomb, you are blind on one eye. Gambit is in, herpderp. Also, you really want Commando Venom? I would've added Anti-Venom as the symbiote.

Grecco

So, MahvelGAF, I have prepared something for you. I sunk about 10 hours of work into this nonsense, but I think the result is quite amazing.

You see, I first thought "I can probably come up with a better roster than Marvel and Capcom, and my roster would be more popular.", and so I did. I still stand by that statement and change the "probably" to "definitely". I do have asked for a bit of help (crimsonspider), thus in his honor, one character has been chosen that I was unsure of.

I have then proceeded to create a character select screen for vanilla and Ultimate, though it's just basic icon placing, pretty much. But believe me, that was the biggest part of the work, LOL.

This roster makes the following assumptions:
36 characters for vanilla, with 2 DLC characters.
The planned 20 instead of 12 characters for Ultimate.
Free amount of DLC characters afterwards.
No limits on character choices from Capcom or Marvel (you will see why I note this).

One note, though, is that one DLC pair are essentially my personal wishful thinking. I feel, though, that overall, this roster would be pleasing pretty much everyone, and I don't think there would be many complaints left.

Anywho... Enough rambling. Here is my results:

Marvel vs. Capcom 3 Cast - What It Could Have Been

VANILLA
Capcom: Ryu, Chun-Li, C. Viper, Dante, Trish, Chris, Wesker, Jill, Morrigan, Jedah, X, Zero, Tron Bonne, Haggar, Spencer, Arthur, Viewtiful Joe, Amaterasu
Marvel: Wolverine, Magneto, Storm, Phoenix, X-23, Captain America, Iron Man, Thor, She-Hulk, Black Panther, Ultron, MODOK, Spider-Man, Doctor Octopus, Hulk, Dr. Strange, Dr. Doom, Deadpool

Character Select Screen (with first DLC pack)

ULTIMATE
Capcom: Roll, Frank West, Gene, Firebrand, Rathalos, Felicia, Captain Commando, Saki, Kaijin no Soki, Nina (BoF2)
Marvel: Hawkeye, Thanos, Nova, Iron Fist, Super-Skrull, Dormammu, Elektra, Gambit, Invisible Woman, Colossus (the current one also is the Juggernaut)

Character Select Screen (with all DLC packs, bordered green)

DLC
Skilled Hunters Pack: Strider Hiryu & Ghost Rider <- Available for Vanilla
Evil Overlords Pack: M. Bison & Green Goblin
Attorneys at Law Pack: Phoenix Wright & Daredevil
Demonic Fathers Pack: Vergil & Blade
Ladies Packin' A Punch Pack: Ruby Heart & Ms. Marvel
Big Machines Pack: PTX40A & Sentinel
Otherworldly Creatures Pack: Nemesis & Shuma-Gorath
An Arremer Can Dream Pack: Franziska v. Karma & Cloak and Dagger

Gambit and von Karma. I like this. I have to admit i would have liked to have seen Cyclops as well, with his non Jim Lee look I suppose id like Red Skull or Baron Zemo. Probably Zemo we need a major Captain America villain.

No more Godforsaken Phoenix Wright characters. Dammit

Except Franciska would more more awesome than 80 percent of Capcom possible choices.

lol @ using the version of colossus that wears juggernauts helmet. that version would be sss tier.

i like what you did with the marvel side, but your darkstalker representation for capcom is pretty ass. i'm biased, but if i had to choose 4, it'd be: lillith, qbee, jedah, victor.

also, as much as i love roll, character slots are too precious to waste on troll characters (same goes for modok). i desperately want protoman.

Grecco

Also im interested in hearing why you wold play Vergil/Dante/Strider and not Dante/Vergil/ Strider

D/V/S is what i was trying to run on day one.

Im now working on Doom/Vergil/Strider but i wonder if i should move Strider to the seccond slot.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom