• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Ultimate Marvel vs. Capcom 3 |OT| of 9 Years Urley

Status
Not open for further replies.
Speaking of dream rostering

im suprised people havent looked into the data in the disk like they did with vanilla or have they? Wasnt Doc Occ and Frank in text in Vanilla?

They have. How else would we have the cool color stuff we got?
There's nothing there. Aside from that one song I found some time ago, that doesn't belong anywhere, is Eastern Asian and is grouped with the stage themes, which might've been the scrapped Okami stage, or a possible DLC stage.

Oldschoolgamer

The physical form of blasphemy
Aside from the Sword Brothers / Sons of Sparda, who works well with Trish? I think I might stick her in front as battery with Strider behind her and Maggy as anchor. My only problem is, if someone starts Hawkeye, that's going to cause a lot of issues, since she won't be able to get much started.

I guess my logic is, if someone wants to jump in the air with me Vajra will keep them grounded and I can continue to harass with Estaka, while throwing traps out. I don't know. I might just learn Dante and call it a day.

So yea, Trish is going first and Maggy will always be anchor. He's a menace with XF3...

except against Arthur...who is pretty fucking scary... o.o

Grecco

They have. How else would we have the cool color stuff we got?
There's nothing there. Aside from that one song I found some time ago, that doesn't belong anywhere, is Eastern Asian and is grouped with the stage themes, which might've been the scrapped Okami stage, or a possible DLC stage.

Ah yes. I forgot about the color stuff.

Right, so first an explanation on the choices for the DLC roster.
I thought that the chances of Capcom selling more DLC characters than Jill/Shuma would be if they a.) came in packs and b.) were popular to some degree. Of course, there's some exceptions (tentacle pack, robot pack), but I think the choices are solid.
I was debating whether to put Trish or Vergil as DLC, and I believe Vergil is more popular, so there you go. Same goes for Daredevil/Elektra.
I also felt that Shuma-Gorath is important enough to the MvC-series to be included, since he's been there pretty much in every non-X-Men-only game (except MvC1 I believe).

Now, the secondary choices for some of the characters:
Gambit and Colossus: Iceman, Cyclops or Psylocke. I also considered Emma Frost at first, but discarded the thought.
Ultron: Mandarin and Loki.
Thanos/Nova: I was considering adding a Herald of Galactus here (Stardust as current representation)
Invisible Woman: Spider-Woman
Felicia and Jedah: Pretty much any Darkstalker. I added Jedah after crimsonspider asked me for it, and Felicia cause she was in MvC2. I was considering Hsien-Ko and Talbain, though.
C. Viper: Abel or Juri... then again, Viper is more Mahvel than those 2, so...
Bison: Akuma or Zangief
X: Mega Man Classic. I never considered EXE (neither for replacing Zero, who by the way is the most popular character next to the blue bomber's iterations themselves, so... no way Protoman.EXE wouldn't cause an uproar)

Characters that I would've included if I didn't feel the roster was too crammed already:
Anti-Venom, Moon Knight, Namor the Sub-Mariner, Black Widow, Spider-Woman, Rocket Raccoon, Cyclops, Stardust, a Rival School character, Tessa, Jin, Hayato, Regina, a Power Stone character, and maybe a Mega Man-related villain (Dr. Wily most likely - Edit: Or Bass.EXE lol).

Azure J

3. I would change either X or Zero to one of their equivalents from one of the other Megaman games so that the franchise has more reps. Probably make Zero Protoman.exe, since X seems to be more popular. EXE uses a sword, so you can probably give him a moveset similar to Zero's (I say probably, cause I haven't played the Battle Network games enough to know all of what he does.)

Idea: X, Zero series Zero, Tron, Roll (Classic) & Bass.EXE.

Oh also, my first thought of "which retro-styled characters to add..." was the plane from 1942 cause of the one silly Seth Killian interview from that drunk dude LOL.

enzo_gt

tagged by Blackace
http://www.twitch.tv/bum1six3/b/302097436

Starts around 42:00 in the first part of the video. I dunno if you guys mean a specific match or something, but that's where the piledriving, pipe-smashing, headbutting sex starts. :3

Dude NEEDS to go to tourneys. He would kick so much ass and bring much needed hype to streams (looking at your, Wesker...)

Watching now and HOLY SHIT.

Noel vs. Bum 3/5 begins at 48:45. Currently watching that bit.

JeTmAn81

Watching now and HOLY SHIT.

Noel vs. Bum 3/5 begins at 48:45. Currently watching that bit.

I've been watching for a while. Bum doesn't lose for a looong time. The first guy I saw beat him (I'm pretty sure it was the first), he perfects in the next round. Who is this guy? He plays on a pad too.

Chavelo

I've been watching for a while. Bum doesn't lose for a looong time. The first guy I saw beat him (I'm pretty sure it was the first), he perfects in the next round. Who is this guy? He plays on a pad too.

He loses to Noel (2nd set between them) in the stream around 33:00 on the second part. Dude was giving out the salt for over 2 hours. :O

I know there's a Smash player who goes by that name, he plays Donkey Kong I believe (thus that team choice would actually make sense LOL).

enzo_gt

tagged by Blackace
Shit, if anyone finds the perfect, give us a timestamp!

I've been telling y'all Smash players do amazing in Marvel forever and this is only more proof.

Axis

i love vampire savior....that said, i just don't think hsien ko fits in the game without her speed and cancellable teleport. bulleta is my favorite character but i don't think she works too well in versus games. if i had to choose characters it'd probably be jedah, anakaris(i loved him in mvc2, too), phobos and bishamon.

another sword character ^_^

A Pretty Panda

fuckin' called it, man
Shit, if anyone finds the perfect, give us a timestamp!

I've been telling y'all Smash players do amazing in Marvel forever and this is only more proof.

What, since when? The only other one I can think of is Falcomist, and I don't even know if he plays anymore. Also heard a Brawl player named "Zucco" played, but I've never seen it myself.

Also myself, but I suck at both Smash and Marvel.

i love vampire savior....that said, i just don't think hsien ko fits in the game without her speed and cancellable teleport. bulleta is my favorite character but i don't think she works too well in versus games. if i had to choose characters it'd probably be jedah, anakaris(i loved him in mvc2, too), phobos and bishamon.

Anakaris wouldn't fit either if they made him even worse than his Darkstalker version.
According to this week's Wake Up SRK, Chris G started in Smash.
This is pretty amazing if true.

Oldschoolgamer

The physical form of blasphemy
You shouldn't consider Arthur match-ups when building a team, if you see him often it's just because of me playing him a lot. I've never played against an Arthur in ranked (90 games played).

I don't play ranked enough...if at all really. I'd rather play in the lobby, because it feels more like an arcade setting now. And since you all love Arthur...yea. lol. Besides, Maggy stays on the team, so it will still apply.

And what I said is still true, regardless if you run into one on ranked or not. When Dark Arthur Rises there isn't much to do other than using X-Factor to savor yourself from chip, or try and rush him down and kill him before he gets 3 bars. That psuedo-tri-jump shit is ridiculous and so is his gdlk lvl 3.

Certain characters I am glad more people don't play. Shuma, Trish, Arthur, and Felicia sit right under C.Viper and Zero.

JeTmAn81

Actually I remember Noel Brown saying he started in Melee. But from how he described his last tournament it sounded like a loooong time ago. Like 02-03 ish.

edit- from here
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=winkL54XVrE

Wow, I think I watched this when it was originally posted (it says March). At that time, I think I had heard of Yipes but had no idea who the other guys were. Now they're all so very familiar. It's strange.

A raw tag on reaction dodges Gimlet cleanly.

If you are using a hyper and someone tries to Gimlet punish you, DHCing at the hyper flash will dodge the gimlet completely

Various dodge maneuvers and movements like wave dashing and aerial movements also dodge Gimlet cleanly.
Oh nice! Still, Firebrand swooping past the arrows is more epic.

So, MahvelGAF, I have prepared something for you. I sunk about 10 hours of work into this nonsense, but I think the result is quite amazing.

You see, I first thought "I can probably come up with a better roster than Marvel and Capcom, and my roster would be more popular.", and so I did. I still stand by that statement and change the "probably" to "definitely". I do have asked for a bit of help (crimsonspider), thus in his honor, one character has been chosen that I was unsure of.

I have then proceeded to create a character select screen for vanilla and Ultimate, though it's just basic icon placing, pretty much. But believe me, that was the biggest part of the work, LOL.

This roster makes the following assumptions:
36 characters for vanilla, with 2 DLC characters.
The planned 20 instead of 12 characters for Ultimate.
Free amount of DLC characters afterwards.
No limits on character choices from Capcom or Marvel (you will see why I note this).

One note, though, is that one DLC pair are essentially my personal wishful thinking. I feel, though, that overall, this roster would be pleasing pretty much everyone, and I don't think there would be many complaints left.

Anywho... Enough rambling. Here is my results:

Marvel vs. Capcom 3 Cast - What It Could Have Been

VANILLA
Capcom: Ryu, Chun-Li, C. Viper, Dante, Trish, Chris, Wesker, Jill, Morrigan, Jedah, X, Zero, Tron Bonne, Haggar, Spencer, Arthur, Viewtiful Joe, Amaterasu
Marvel: Wolverine, Magneto, Storm, Phoenix, X-23, Captain America, Iron Man, Thor, She-Hulk, Black Panther, Ultron, MODOK, Spider-Man, Doctor Octopus, Hulk, Dr. Strange, Dr. Doom, Deadpool

Character Select Screen (with first DLC pack)

ULTIMATE
Capcom: Roll, Frank West, Gene, Firebrand, Rathalos, Felicia, Captain Commando, Saki, Kaijin no Soki, Nina (BoF2)
Marvel: Hawkeye, Thanos, Nova, Iron Fist, Super-Skrull, Dormammu, Elektra, Gambit, Invisible Woman, Colossus (the current one also is the Juggernaut)

Character Select Screen (with all DLC packs, bordered green)

DLC
Skilled Hunters Pack: Strider Hiryu & Ghost Rider <- Available for Vanilla
Evil Overlords Pack: M. Bison & Green Goblin
Attorneys at Law Pack: Phoenix Wright & Daredevil
Demonic Fathers Pack: Vergil & Blade
Ladies Packin' A Punch Pack: Ruby Heart & Ms. Marvel
Big Machines Pack: PTX40A & Sentinel
Otherworldly Creatures Pack: Nemesis & Shuma-Gorath
An Arremer Can Dream Pack: Franziska v. Karma & Cloak and Dagger
I'm really bothered that Dormammu isn't in your Vanilla...

Your Ultimate pack, however, has every single character any decent human being could care about:
Morrigan
Jedah
Dormammu
Rathalos
Nina
Firebrand

Damn it would be hard to make a single team from all of that.

LakeEarth

I don't play ranked enough...if at all really. I'd rather play in the lobby, because it feels more like an arcade setting now. And since you all love Arthur...yea. lol. Besides, Maggy stays on the team, so it will still apply.

And what I said is still true, regardless if you run into one on ranked or not. When Dark Arthur Rises there isn't much to do other than using X-Factor to savor yourself from chip, or try and rush him down and kill him before he gets 3 bars. That psuedo-tri-jump shit is ridiculous and so is his gdlk lvl 3.
Arthur with drone assist is fricken hell without a teleport/flight character in your team. But yeah, I think I've run into one on ranked mode since UMvC3 came out.

And the reason I said Gambit was he would make all the 90s fanboys quiet down.

And I honestly don't think Spidey needs two villains but just me.

I just think Jedah would look beautiful in this game and his quotes would be epic against the Marvel cast.

But glad I could be of help.

And Sue Storm could have horizontal projectiles, flight, a ranged command grab like Skrull's, space dependent projectiles like Dormm. Just to begin with. Add shields to that as well. She would have an unique keepaway style.

Question: Why add Elektra over Scarlet Witch or Rogue? Rogue is more popular with non comic readers and Scarlet Witch is very important in comics and the AvX storyline next year is going to involve her. So yeah.

koryuken

After a guy taunted me last night with team trenchcoat after beating my sub-team, I busted out my main team (which is admittedly 2/3 team trenchcoat) and Perfected him.

Feels good, man. Forgot to taunt back, though.

I got a similar story (not quite). I played my main team -- Wesker, Vergil, Doom vs a very good Chris, Morrigan, Someone else... My first two characters got bodied in a happy birthday by Chris. He had full 3 characters with no Xfactor. I just had Dr.Doom and Xf3 -- made a reverse OCV with fucking Doom. He is my weakest character on this team lol.

Feels good, man.

PS. I only used/landed the divekick once:)

D

Deleted member 13876

Unconfirmed Member
And the reason I said Gambit was he would make all the 90s fanboys quiet down.

And I honestly don't think Spidey needs two villains but just me.

It's Marvel's most well-known character. Doctor Strange got two. Resident Evil got 2.5.

enzo_gt

tagged by Blackace
Zucco, CrispyTacoz and Chris G were the ones I had in mind, I remember someone mentioning on a stream a long way back Chris G had a history in Smash.

koryuken

Team Swordmasters aka Vergil/Dante/Strider is pretty much always going to be played in that order. Dante on Weasel Shot of course. Dante + Strider is pretty godly even if you get Vergil killed off early. Strider + XFLVL3 and Ourouborus speaks for itself.

Here is my grand theory:

MVC3 is very very momentum based. In this game, the person who loses a character first is at a huge disadvantage because of the mixup on the incoming character. You can potentially get your whole team killed because one character died. As such, I think it is imperative to put characters with higher HP on point. This is why I really like Wesker or Spencer, etc on point. Vergil/Strider on point is likely going to die from a THC or a DHC, etc. Then, if the person has great mixups, you have potentially lost the match. Usually (not always) the higher HP character should be on point.

Anth0ny

I don't know why, but Bum doesn't go to tournaments. He didn't even go to Smash tournaments, besides MLG.

I asked in the stream chat if he would be going to Apex, and Chris Matrix said he'd be there if Apex was at his house :lol

El Sloth

Banned

How do you not mention Q-Bee, my dude?

</3

JeTmAn81

I don't know why, but Bum doesn't go to tournaments. He didn't even go to Smash tournaments, besides MLG.

I asked in the stream chat if he would be going to Apex, and Chris Matrix said he'd be there if Apex was at his house :lol

Haha, I just heard that part where he answered you. So strange that he doesn't go to tournaments. Sounds like it would be some free money for him.

Zucco, CrispyTacoz and Chris G were the ones I had in mind, I remember someone mentioning on a stream a long way back Chris G had a history in Smash.

I remember hearing Juicebox telling his story on how he used to play Smash, and his name back then was "Statistic." So if you lost to him, you were "just another Statistic," or something like that. He also explained the origins of the name "Juicebox."

Tacoz is also one of the best Diddy players I have ever met, and he has made me want to rip my hair out after getting banana-locked many many times.
KuGsj.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom