• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Ultimate Marvel vs. Capcom 3 |OT| of 9 Years Urley

Status
Not open for further replies.

Grecco

Coming from Street Fighter IV, even when I get my ASS kicked in a match by a good player, I never felt like "Wow, well, I guess I didn't have any chance after that first hit", there's always a good comeback chance. With Marvel, sometimes it feels like I'm not even pressing the buttons at all, or moving my character, there's just such a different feeling of getting destroyed versus other games. Right now I just don't understand how EVERYONE is already that much better. (Nothing worse than fighting someone with a 0 - 0 record in ranked, and getting OCVd.)

I keep thinking I am gonna learn something but the gap feels so fucking ENORMOUS compared to EVERY OTHER fighting game I've ever played.

That 0-0 guy probably reset his score to probably pick on lower rated folks. Just a guess. I may even personally know that guy. Cause my best friend and training partner 1.uses Thor 2.Resets his score.

enzo_gt

tagged by Blackace
I run long sets with a local friend that has been testing some insane fucking vergil lockdown tech that I have yet to see anyone else do. I was expecting to see it at NEC yet that was not the case. Just mostly herp derp Vergils that don't know how to play him for shit.

I honestly think Vergil is going to become no.1 in this game. Now, next house meet I thinking if I don't see this tech exposed on SRK or streams that I will ask my friend if I can record him playing and showing it off to the world. If he will allow it. We are planning to spend a ton of money on flights and shit to make it to evo next year..so it might be tech he does not want to show off, but I think this shit needs to be exposed because hands down it is some hype as shit.

In other news finally dropped my MVC3 Mag ways and have adapted to using Mag Blast Loop as my B&B. People still sleeping on mags in Ultimate. I feel he is top 5 character. Just not a herp derp character like Doom has become.
Bold claims, I like.

I don't know about Vergil being #1. He's actually overrated out of ignorance. They look at his herp derp BnBs and think OMG HES SO GOOD, but the true potential is barely being put to work out there. Dahbomb hypes this shit up all the time here, but people are sleeping. They're far too content with the "decent" effectiveness of herp derp Vergils to be concerned with real Vergil tech that will be a problem once the technicians like Dickwin and others put it out there for people to see. And this is potentially a problem, but people love DMC characters enough to keep producing tech instead of stagnating forever with the stuff we have on display now at tourneys, or like what happened with Wolverine for a long period of time.

I think Vergil will be 5-10. He just needs time like every other character, time until people wake up.

zlatko

Banned
Coming from Street Fighter IV, even when I get my ASS kicked in a match by a good player, I never felt like "Wow, well, I guess I didn't have any chance after that first hit", there's always a good comeback chance. With Marvel, sometimes it feels like I'm not even pressing the buttons at all, or moving my character, there's just such a different feeling of getting destroyed versus other games. Right now I just don't understand how EVERYONE is already that much better. (Nothing worse than fighting someone with a 0 - 0 record in ranked, and getting OCVd.)

I keep thinking I am gonna learn something but the gap feels so fucking ENORMOUS compared to EVERY OTHER fighting game I've ever played.

Two things

1) There's people who are picking the game up late for the holidays with vanilla MvC3 experience or a lot of fighting games under their belt. You will find killers that's just how it goes.

2) Capcom is full of knuckle dragging morons who thought it'd be cool to appease the derpers once more with this new feature called Reset all your online win/loss stats. So if someone who is already average or better decides he just likes to win all the time, he can just opt to reset whenever, go back to the starting rank and troll people like yourself who are trying to learn.

Stick with it. UMvC3 once it starts to make more sense will be a lot easier game to play if you are coming off of SF4.(I did too) It's just a matter of exposing yourself, and staying hungry for more info. Don't forget to hit up SRK.com and check character forums for combos and videos of those combos in action to possibly help you level up your game.

1tHaA.png

Viscant is using a new team of Wesker/Doom/Strider. It's going to be super cheap when people see Wesker + Strider resets for the first time.

Wesker + Strider resets aren't really the goal in this team. At least, it's not really a change in technology. There are a lot of resets with the dive kick to be sure, but outside of the corner they're all beaten by air teching backwards. The benefit is that he can hold you in place in the corner or make you risk a hard knockdown, which leads me to my next point.

What Viscant is really trying to do is recreate the psychology behind Wesker/Haggar/Phoenix. By choosing this new team, Viscant is saying that he's extremely confident in his Wesker's ability to stay solid and maintain pressure. It's an incredibly defensive poking setup that lets Viscant reduce as much of the randomness in Marvel as possible. Rather than successful mixups, he wants to break down your confidence with a reliable and versatile team. By choosing Doom(I'm going to assume he's using Plasma Beam), he's giving up on easy hit confirms and anti-air gunshot in exchange for higher beam durability, chip damage and safer positioning.(Although our teams seem incredibly similar, using Magneto's EM Disruptor or Spencer's Wire Grapple over doom or iron man allow me to AA gunshot by pressing 6H+A1xxL and they give me better mixups, making my team more offensive-based but weaker against pure zoning teams).

Viscant is going to wear people down with super jumping and gunshot while calling Plasma Beam, then when you try to jump away from him, he'll call dive kick and cross under you for the hard knockdown, extend the combo with Plasma Beam, then reset and call Dive Kick again while forcing you to block the jump loop so you can't air tech forward out of the corner, then he'll command grab you when you're forced to the ground. He'll jab you at the same point on the next reset when you try to avoid a command grab that isn't coming.

When you kill Wesker, he gets the strong zoning team of Doom/Strider, who gets similar resets and hit confirms as Wesker. He doesn't have to change the way he plays much when Wesker dies, which is a benefit. Doom has a slightly harder time confirming off of Strider, but it's not a huge deal. Doom gets a lot of meter off chip damage, and had high health, both of which are crucial distinctions from similar characters.

Then Strider comes in, forcing you to change your mindset rapidly like fighting Phoenix. He'll probably have a lot of bar and access to x-factor, mitigating his low damage problem. My personal favorite is if you jump, I'll animals, x-factor, teleport to make you guess, then use the extra meter when x-factor runs out to spam ouroboros.

Anyway, my main point is that Wesker/Doom/Strider isn't cheap. It's lame. An incredibly laid back team designed specifically to let Viscant autopilot his way to the top again. And it's a very smart choice.

*walks in*

Just reporting in to warn you guys. You DO NOT want Bishamon from Darkstalkers in this game. Hoooly shit that guy is fucking terrible. I think I'd rather fight Wesker...

*walks out*
Is Nova top 10?
No, but he is a shoe in for top twenty which makes him a fantastic character to add to your team.

Nikashi

Banned
That 0-0 guy probably reset his score to probably pick on lower rated folks. Just a guess. I may even personally know that guy. Cause my best friend and training partner 1.uses Thor 2.Resets his score.

Why would you reset your score other than to pick on newbies? :p (If that's the reason, tell your friend he's a dickhead making new players not want to continue to play!)

Guh, still just getting 100% destroyed by everyone online, I really think I'm missing something in this game, is it supposed to be basically 'get hit and spend the next 30 seconds watching your character die' or are there turnaround opportunities during the combos that I'm missing?

I just really am not having fun when I'm spending HOURS perfecting combos in training, but the moment I hop online, I immediately find out I seem to be THE WORST person online, ranked or not. I've won 100 matches out of 300+ played and every time I think I'm suddenly understanding the game, I get PERECTED (yes, fucking PERFECTED) by some guy's random Thor doing reset combos.

Some of you have played me, since this is my first time really learning the versus series, is it just too late at this point to bother?
The least important thing in this game is having crazy combos. I'm at about an 80% win ratio in ranked, and I seriously just do magic series into hyper with 2/3 of my characters. Firebrand might as well be magic series into hyper since he does such ass damage, lol.

It's all about creating combo opportunities, not performing crazy combos. Then again, if the combos you are perfecting are just magic series stuff, then yeah, that's probably a good thing!

Grecco

Why would you reset your score other than to pick on newbies? :p (If that's the reason, tell your friend he's a dickhead making new players not want to continue to play!)

2 Reasons one valid one not

Valid:You want to learn a new character and instead of using him vs better players you use him vs newer players thus you dont get destroyed so fast

not so valid:trolling newbs.

zlatko

Banned

Just play with GAFfers until you work out the kinks. Plus you can have a great way to gather feedback if someone is bodying you from those of us here.

Not me though. My schedule is random, and my team is mad cheap i.e. I use Wesker. :p

enzo_gt

tagged by Blackace
guise... GB didn't say bye this time!

It's okay sweetie, we left the Shuma slot open just for you. It isn't going anywhere, it will be there for you and just you forever and always when you need a place to stay.

GeoNeo

I disagree.
I dont know if i agree. Pretty much every Magneto player from Vanilla still uses him with what the exception of Marlinpie and Fchamp? He also did become slightly harder to use.

Apart from RayRay. Most famous mags are leaving a shit ton of damage on the table by not using Mag Blast Combos.

I noticed Marn was trying to incorporate them into his gameplan. But, he still needs bit more time to get it down 100%.

Also, as I'm sure many of you witnessed Mags has some nasty nasty fucking shit with his grav pull push when it comes to corner unblockables.

Even though Capcom tried their best to fuck mags over I still feel he is fucking amazing. It is just that to get the best out of Mags you really really got to put in the time. Which most top players really can't be arsed to do. But, thankfully we got people that are putting in the work.

Maybe, I'm trying to hype Mags up since I really love the living shit out of him. But, I think it is safe to say he would still be top 10 character at least.

Grecco

Apart from RayRay. Most famous mags are leaving a shit ton of damage on the table by not using Mag Blast Combos.

I noticed Marn was trying to incorporate them into his gameplan. But, he still needs bit more time to get it down 100%.

Also, as I'm sure many of you witnessed Mags has some nasty nasty fucking shit with his grav pull push when it comes to corner unblockables.

Even though Capcom tried their best to fuck mags over I still feel he is fucking amazing. It is just that to get the best out of Mags you really really got to put in the time. Which most top players really can't be arsed to do. But, thankfully we got people that are putting in the work.

Maybe, I'm trying to hype Mags up since I really love the living shit out of him. But, I think it is safe to say he would still be top 10 character at least.

Completely fair at this point. I just dont see how hes being slept on :)

Axis

*walks in*

Just reporting in to warn you guys. You DO NOT want Bishamon from Darkstalkers in this game. Hoooly shit that guy is fucking terrible. I think I'd rather fight Wesker...

*walks out*

doesn't hurt my character rapes bish fray but his char design and the way he plays is so awesome...either pushblock or get raped by bish :(

GuardianE

Santa May Claus

My UMvC3 online profile got corrupted and I had to reset my stats in order to continue playing online. Lost everything. :(

Dahbomb

Oh shit God's Beard in the house. Never change brah.

I run long sets with a local friend that has been testing some insane fucking vergil lockdown tech that I have yet to see anyone else do. I was expecting to see it at NEC yet that was not the case. Just mostly herp derp Vergils that don't know how to play him for shit.

I honestly think Vergil is going to become no.1 in this game. Now, next house meet I thinking if I don't see this tech exposed on SRK or streams that I will ask my friend if I can record him playing and showing it off to the world. If he will allow it. We are planning to spend a ton of money on flights and shit to make it to evo next year..so it might be tech he does not want to show off, but I think this shit needs to be exposed because hands down it is some hype as shit.
I have heard about this tech. This was first brought to my attention by SRK and "pro" player Kerahime who is considered the best Tron player in the world. He thinks Vergil is S tier and he thinks people are playing Vergil completely wrong (I agree but differently). He states that he has a lock down technology with Vergil and Hidden Missiles that most characters can't do shit about and it resonates with Strider + Doom in MVC2.

I am extremely interested in this technology so I am hoping you can go more in depth with this. If what Kera says is true and how he's describing it... Vergil is S tier 100% no doubt.

A Pretty Panda

fuckin' called it, man
Guh, still just getting 100% destroyed by everyone online, I really think I'm missing something in this game, is it supposed to be basically 'get hit and spend the next 30 seconds watching your character die' or are there turnaround opportunities during the combos that I'm missing?

I just really am not having fun when I'm spending HOURS perfecting combos in training, but the moment I hop online, I immediately find out I seem to be THE WORST person online, ranked or not. I've won 100 matches out of 300+ played and every time I think I'm suddenly understanding the game, I get PERECTED (yes, fucking PERFECTED) by some guy's random Thor doing reset combos.

Some of you have played me, since this is my first time really learning the versus series, is it just too late at this point to bother?

(Edit: I've been using Nova/Frank/ and trying out random 3rd members, currently auditioning Dante, but right now it doesn't matter since the mechanics of all my online fights regardless are = me blocking as much as I can, TRYING to find a single opening to start a combo, then missing a crossup/overhead block and losing that character :/)

Oh I'm sorry about that.

I kid, I kid.

Winning 100 out of 300 isn't terrible. I've seen much, much worse. I remember seeing someone in vanilla having 150 win and 1000 losses.

Nikashi

Banned
Okay, I will be in the lobby, please don't destroy me too bad, although I remember not doing TOO badly last time in the lobby, and I've learned a few tricks since then as well.

Dahbomb

God's Beard said:
Gospel Truth
That is the gospel truth about the team and that's pretty much how I expect that team to be played. I talked about this before and the synergy on that team. There isn't anything I would add to that post.

Also cheap = lame = smart in this game. If a team is cheap in UMVC3... it's legit IMO. So it was a compliment. I am just saying when people see this shit and the lameness behind it they will call it cheap.

This is ME after witnessing BUM rape his opponents with the EXTREMELY MUSCULAR AND MANLY TEAM of HAGGAR/HULK/CHRIS:

1251580421398.jpg

Frantic

Winning 100 out of 300 isn't terrible. I've seen much, much worse. I remember seeing someone in vanilla having 150 win and 1000 losses.
I ran into a guy on Ranked in Ultimate with like 13 wins and like 400 losses. I felt bad winning. :(

I have heard about this tech. This was first brought to my attention by SRK and "pro" player Kerahime who is considered the best Tron player in the world. He thinks Vergil is S tier and he thinks people are playing Vergil completely wrong (I agree but differently). He states that he has a lock down technology with Vergil and Hidden Missiles that most characters can't do shit about and it resonates with Strider + Doom in MVC2.

I am extremely interested in this technology so I am hoping you can go more in depth with this. If what Kera says is true and how he's describing it... Vergil is S tier 100% no doubt.
Hmm... hidden missiles and Vergil, eh? I'll try it out in the lobby, see how successful I am. I think I might know how to do it.

GeoNeo

I disagree.
Oh shit God's Beard in the house. Never change brah.

Hahaha, what Kera is describing sounds like the tech I have had the pleasure to play against.

I don't know why this is not being exposed yet, because it really is fucking frighting as fuck. I'm guessing people keeping it on the DL for tournaments like my friend is for Evo.

Hopefully I will meet him tomorrow..or sometime next week and ask for his permission to record and expose it. (He was afraid last time I played him that if it got exposed before Evo that Capcom would drop the nurf hammer.)

Dahbomb

Kera is afraid of the same thing ie. a preemptive nerf bat.

I am pretty sure it's going to get figured out until then. I am still interested in it because it's a way to play the character that I only DREAMED of when I thought of Vergil in the game.

I ran into a guy on Ranked in Ultimate with like 13 wins and like 400 losses. I felt bad winning. :(

Hmm... hidden missiles and Vergil, eh? I'll try it out in the lobby, see how successful I am. I think I might know how to do it.

One has to wonder why that guy hasn't reset his score yet. Oh, and hell no, I'm not looking forward to that :(

Grecco

I am pretty sure it's going to get figured out until then. I am still interested in it because it's a way to play the character that I only DREAMED of when I thought of Vergil in the game.

Do you really think Hidden Missiles is a better assist than plasma beam for Vergil?

Dahbomb

If I had to guess, Blistering Swords is involved. Maybe. Something like Block string, call Hidden Missiles, keep the block string up while charging Round Trip, release RT after last missile hits to keep the block stun on, Judgment Cut, activate Spiral Swords, call Hidden Missiles, Judgment Cut and other crap, Round Trip when last Hidden Missile hits... repeat. Something like that.

Kera said something about that which shocked me. If he has 2-3 bars he can chip down a 1 million health character. I find that EXTREMELY HARD TO BELIEVE.

GeoNeo

I disagree.

BTW, my friend was doing it fine with Iron Man + Vergil as well. But, doom missiles works best.

Hopefully, he gives me the go ahead to record him.

Dahbomb

Lockdown of Vergil with IRON MAN???

Now my mind is blown. How do I not know broken tech on 2 of my most used characters?

I am not worthy. :(

Oldschoolgamer

The physical form of blasphemy
Could the principle behind Trish/Doom/Wesker be applied to Trish/Wesker/Maggy? Like, I want to do the same "unblockable" shit with Maggy, instead of Doom.

Lockdown of Vergil with IRON MAN???

Now my mind is blown. How do I not know broken tech on 2 of my most used characters?

I am not worthy. :(
lol. That reminds of when a frequent sparring partner of mine picked up Dormammu day one and discovered something I had no idea about. I was like "oh wow, really?" Sometimes you just need a fresh perspective because you come into things with a set of expectations, and those limit your creativity.

By the way, anyone who puts Wesker on anchor for lvl 4 x-factor is a scrub. I maintain my vanilla position that without assists, Wesker is a mid tier character.

Kadey

Mrs. Harvey
You guys have to make your own highlights. I'm not around to see the matches half of the time. Twitch is weird with things so archives with multiple parts are annoying to make highlights of. Once you're in part two and so on of an archive, just add highlights to the URL to access it in the highlight making page.

And Live Lobby is about to go up.

http://www.twitch.tv/kadeybaybe

enzo_gt

tagged by Blackace
Viscant is hilarious.

While looking for evidence with PW:

"DUDE IM A PROFESSIONAL GAMBLER, HOW IS MY LUCK THIS BAD"

hahahaha

Kadey

Mrs. Harvey
Good to see GB calling himself a scrub. I'm here to help if anybody needs a guidance counselor.

I want to, but it loads SO slow, and the one I tried making once ended up not appearing :/

It's a Justintv/Twitch issue. Making highlights was always a pain. And for reference. Even though my stream is 720p+ 61fps, highlights are degraded quality. Resolution and framerate is lowered ala Youtube after you upload a video.

A Pretty Panda

fuckin' called it, man
By the way, anyone who puts Wesker on anchor for lvl 4 x-factor is a scrub. I maintain my vanilla position that without assists, Wesker is a mid tier character.

Yeah well... your face
beard

Man, kara-ing Ghost Rider's level 3 gives it scary range. Shit hits from like half screen.

Dahbomb

I agree with the sentiment. Anyone putting Wesker on anchor spot is a fraud. I don't care if you are winning EVO with Wesker last... you are still a fraud.

Wesker is upper mid without assists and X factor.

It's a Justintv/Twitch issue. Making highlights was always a pain. And for reference. Even though my stream is 720p+ 61fps, highlights are degraded quality. Resolution and framerate is lowered ala Youtube after you upload a video.

Yeah, I don't blame you, I'm just complaining about it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom