• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Ultimate Marvel vs. Capcom 3 |OT| of 9 Years Urley

Status
Not open for further replies.

mr. puppy

Banned
were there any decent firebrand players last night? i want to see what the invincibility/hitbox on his demon missile assists are, in particular the flying one.

enzo_gt

tagged by Blackace
ThoughtsOfSpeaking said:
Sorry guys, if I have to read that much text, Id rather put down the DS and pick up a kindle.

way to slow paced, text heavy and annoying for me.
What is this, I don't even.

Man you would have absolutely hated pre-N64 eras of gaming.

D

Deleted member 13876

Unconfirmed Member
Well, my worst fears in terms of Nova's future in comics have come to pass. Marvel's big preview issue featured a kid Nova, probably not Richard Rider, muttering the words "epic fail" after a galaxy wide disaster came to pass. Damn you Jeph Loeb...It may be a kneejerk reaction, but if this is the Nova they're gonna be building up in 2012 it does not look good. At least I'll have fun with riding with Dick in the game next week.

I was legitimately giving the issue the chance and was pretty hyped for it all month, but dammit if this wasn't a shitty lead-in.

Grecco

mr. puppy said:
were there any decent firebrand players last night? i want to see what the invincibility/hitbox on his demon missile assists are, in particular the flying one.

I dont remember seing a single one.

enzo_gt

tagged by Blackace
Becquerel said:
Yo, enzo, can you pop me the hi-res character art for the new characters?
In about 3 hours, sure. Shoot me a PM so I don't forget.

I have SO much left to update with the OP, including increasing readability, image sizes and updating the change log. but won't have real time until Thursday.

Nyoro SF

ThoughtsOfSpeaking said:
Sorry guys, if I have to read that much text, Id rather put down the DS and pick up a kindle.

way to slow paced, text heavy and annoying for me.

I'm going to assume you hate reading books.

Grecco

matics said:
So I'm kinda out of the loop right now, been away from the OT since the first few pages.. What's the $8.95 meme?

Did you watch Canada Cup? Basically they charged 8.95 for the 720 stream. Had "issues". Stream Monsters never forget.

enzo_gt said:
What is this, I don't even.

Man you would have absolutely hated pre-N64 eras of gaming.

to be honest, back then I hated old-school RPG's in general for similar reasons so you are partly right.

Nyoro SF said:
I'm going to assume you hate reading books.

actually im a massive reader...It's actually one of the reasons I find text heavy video games annoying. If I want to read, I read something of substance.

likewise, as a film major, I find "cinematic" video games to be pale imitations of the real thing and would just prefer my games to be action packed with a deep level of interactivity.

If I want a cinematic experience with an engaging and multi faceted narrative, Ill watch a good film. No video game ive ever played can stand up to even the crappest films in terms of story progression, art, pacing and character development, so why try?

I just want my games to be ...umm..."gamey". Thats what they are good at and that's what draws me to the medium for entertainment.

Dahbomb

Did you guys see that Chun Li OTG combo in that Max video? :O

Also:

FChamp after seeing that RR can use 5 meters in one combo "WOW THAT IS SO BROKEN!!!!! OMFG!!!! WWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWW!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! "

Kimosabae said:
Why does Max always talk about walk speed? Who's walk speed ISN'T slow in this game?
Akuma but I agree walk speed doesn't matter at all unless MAYBE you are Morrigan or Arthur who don't have proper dashes.

Wesker's walk speed is one of the slowest in the game.. yeah like that ever held him back. This isn't SF.

No MM Buster for Frank West in LVL5? SON I AM DISAPPOINT!!!

GuardianE

Santa May Claus
ThoughtsOfSpeaking said:
I find his playstyle to be very creative and I it is one of the best examples of the talent of the the dev team. But I just cannot stand the character. I don't like the Ace attorney games at all either.

Aw, that's unfortunate.

Anyone know if you can combo into "Objection!" off of a Crossover Counter Press the Witness? That might be an incredibly easy way to enter Turnabout Mode without the risk of using TACs.

Kai Dracon

Writing a dinosaur space opera symphony
After watching the Assist Me, I'm now hyped for Frank. I hadn't heard anywhere else that photography gains more experience attached to combos. This creates unique new meta game. But unlike say, Phoenix Wright, this "gimmick" is entirely under player control, non random, and very straight forward.

Frank also looks as if he's not a helpless punching bag until he activates beast mode at levels 4/5 - if you get to at least level 2 he seems OK.

Damn but I have to give it up for Capcom having truly created a diverse cast in this game. So many unique characters, and different systems. Even characters who are cut from a similar archetype are very different in their effective playstyles.

~Devil Trigger~

In favor of setting Muslim women on fire
Dahbomb said:
I know which made his outburst against Vergil's 5 meter combo at the Norcal tournament really stupid.
oh i missed it lol

All 3 of his characters(Sent, Mag, Dorm) can do it too

Dahbomb said:
Did you guys see that Chun Li OTG combo in that Max video? :O
watched it a while back... but from memory, it looks like it might be a corner specific combo. just regular headstomps into standard air series? she can probably get fancier midscreen otgs, but it would be harder than vipers execution wise, as she'd need to dash cancel those headstomps. hitstun deterioation seems to hit hard in this game too. at least viper has her ex moves to negate the air recovery for her jump loops.

Dahbomb

I think even Phoenix can do it I saw some video where she did like 4 Phoenix Rage's in a row or something.

I don't know what to think about Frank West. I don't think it's that hard to get him to LVL5 as long as you don't get your point character bodied. But at the same time I don't think LVL5 is THAT godlike outside of damage on block normals and that range. I seriously think there is more to him in that level. He is no where near Wright level.

Skilletor

ThoughtsOfSpeaking said:
to be honest, back then I hated old-school RPG's in general for similar reasons so you are partly right.

actually im a massive reader...It's actually one of the reasons I find text heavy video games annoying. If I want to read, I read something of substance.

likewise, as a film major, I find "cinematic" video games to be pale imitations of the real thing and would just prefer my games to be action packed with a deep level of interactivity.

If I want a cinematic experience with an engaging and multi faceted narrative, Ill watch a good film. No video game ive ever played can stand up to even the crappest films in terms of story progression, art, pacing and character development, so why try?

I just want my games to be ...umm..."gamey". Thats what they are good at and that's what draws me to the medium for entertainment.

respeknucks.jpg :)

Sixfortyfive said:
Finding respectable Felicia art is difficult.

Sometimes I can't believe I main such an absurdly designed character.
That avatar is perfect.
Sixfortyfive said:
When I found out the airdash nerf was universal, I went through the five stages of grief in about five seconds. All that was left at the end was the desire to steamroll anyone stupid enough to continue using her, just to show them how stupid they are.
Damn...

shaowebb

Yay streaming! Looks like Iron Fist can string more than 3 rekkas after all :D
That means people don't have to stay as technical with him if they can just rekka pop for combo.

EDIT: Oooooooh....major problem to Spidey OTG move...its hard to hit in the corner because from corner on a jump back into the line it connects to the wall instead. Thats gonna need a dash back and jump to use properly. Have to remember that since his combos corner folks pretty fast.

i'd much rather fight a frank west than a phoenix wright. in order to level up frank, you actually have to get in and land combos. you're rewarded for opening up the opponent and landing good combos. phoenix wright on the other hand, you get rewarded for playing lame. when you finally do level up, it forces you're opponent to play lame/turtle until the timer expires (it expires, right?), at which point the process repeats. no fun at all.

Dai101

Banned
horror: Hey, I'm sorry but we do not allow games to be shown early unless you have the publishers permission

» I am going to have to ask that you please stop streaming this until the game is publicly available

WAT?

Skilletor

ihearthawthats said:
i'd much rather fight a frank west than a phoenix wright. in order to level up frank, you actually have to get in and land combos. you're rewarded for opening up the opponent and landing good combos. phoenix wright on the other hand, you get rewarded for playing lame. when you finally do level up, it forces you're opponent to play lame/turtle until the timer expires (it expires, right?), at which point the process repeats. no fun at all.

I guess if you consider zoning and controlling space lame, sure.

I don't know if I have issues with Wright yet, but if I do it won't come from how he gets turnabout mode. It'll have everything to do with how stupidly overpowered they made a gimmick.

But that's MAHVEL(3).

BY2K

Membero Americo
Dahbomb said:
FChamp after seeing that RR can use 5 meters in one combo "WOW THAT IS SO BROKEN!!!!! OMFG!!!! WWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWW!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! "

Can I see that in video so I can have a good laugh?

Him and Noel Brown are seriously becoming my most hated players.

GuardianE

Santa May Claus
ihearthawthats said:

It does expire, but there's no bar. I believe it's 20 in-game seconds? Does not drain when swapped out.

I don't know if the timer starts counting down from where it left off when PW comes back into play.

Tizoc said:
Question about Ryu's power-up super: Does it make his projectile super ublockable?

lolwut? Free full screen unblockable for two bars? I find that highly unlikely.

Sixfortyfive

He who pursues two rabbits gets two rabbits.
GuardianE said:
Anyone know if you can combo into "Objection!" off of a Crossover Counter Press the Witness? That might be an incredibly easy way to enter Turnabout Mode without the risk of using TACs.
FWIW, I actually had a short conversation with the lead writer of the strategy guide about crossover counters and he informed me that none of the new characters have counters with invincible start-up. So that's probably possible, but who knows how easy it'd be.

GuardianE

Santa May Claus
Sixfortyfive said:
FWIW, I actually had a short conversation with the lead writer of the strategy guide about crossover counters and he informed me that none of the new characters have counters with invincible start-up. So that's probably possible, but who knows how easy it'd be.

That's interesting. I thought the invincibility was a fundamental characteristic of all crossover counters? Did they change that?

Tizoc

GuardianE said:
lolwut? Free full screen unblockable for two bars? I find that highly unlikely.
I'm watching the Norcal UMvC3 matches and it hits everytime; are the other players not blocking properly or soemthing?

mr. puppy

Banned
Dahbomb said:
I think even Phoenix can do it I saw some video where she did like 4 Phoenix Rage's in a row or something.

I don't know what to think about Frank West. I don't think it's that hard to get him to LVL5 as long as you don't get your point character bodied. But at the same time I don't think LVL5 is THAT godlike outside of damage on block normals and that range. I seriously think there is more to him in that level. He is no where near Wright level.

thats the point though, he isn't supposed to be phoenix wright levels up stupid at level 5 because its not as hard to get him to max power as phoenix.

No, only certain crossover counters are completely invincible. Several can be stuffed. The ones that are invincible off the top of my head are X-23, Thor, and Jill. Crescent Scythe and Mighty Smash, forgot Jill's assist that is invincible on crossover counter.

Thor's is extremely dangerous since it gives him a free combo.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=x4Os4sJrYjQ

And people REALLY need to check out the link. Isn't Dante. It is a Tron infinite.

enzo_gt

tagged by Blackace
Tizoc said:
I'm watching the Norcal UMvC3 matches and it hits everytime; are the other players not blocking properly or soemthing?
It bounces off of walls and he caught people not blocking.

It was mad hype though, lol.

Neki

it's not character loyalty, I just don't want to learn a new character, amirite!

@ that link: too bad I have to tiger knee the drills, or I'd be doing that all day!

GuardianE

Santa May Claus
crimsonspider89 said:
No, only certain crossover counters are completely invincible. Several can be stuffed. The ones that are invincible off the top of my head are X-23, Thor, and Jill. Crescent Scythe and Mighty Smash, forgot Jill's assist that is invincible on crossover counter.

Thor's is extremely dangerous since it gives him a free combo.

Ah, I didn't realize that. I thought that all crossover counters had added invincibility frames in their startup. I could've sworn I read it in the guide. Guess not.

Sixfortyfive

He who pursues two rabbits gets two rabbits.
GuardianE said:
That's interesting. I thought the invincibility was a fundamental characteristic of all crossover counters? Did they change that?
http://shoryuken.com/forum/index.ph...rs-with-completely-invincible-startup.129304/

I believe every counter is invincible until the character touches the ground. After that, it varies. Some have enough invincibility to allow you to cancel into an invincible hyper. A few have invincibility all the way through their start-up, which is what that thread lists.

Supposedly, the list in the first post of that thread is virtually unchanged in Ultimate.

Skilletor said:
I guess if you consider zoning and controlling space lame, sure.

I don't know if I have issues with Wright yet, but if I do it won't come from how he gets turnabout mode. It'll have everything to do with how stupidly overpowered they made a gimmick.

But that's MAHVEL(3).
its not real zoning though. i have no problem with characters like arthur who control space with the purpose of dealing damage. phoenix wright isn't about controlling space in the same sense, moreso just putting up a shield or keeping away just to find evidence whether it deals damage or not.

HK-47

Oh, bitch bitch bitch.
shaowebb said:
Holy shit thats awesome! That infinite was found today!? That means it might still be in UMVC3 if her air drill wasn't changed when they tweaked her.

Wouldnt the new hitstun changes make that drill infinite not work?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom