• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Ultimate Marvel vs. Capcom 3 |OT| of 9 Years Urley

Status
Not open for further replies.

El Sloth

Banned
Just wanted to drop in and say that Chris is super underrated still and I wish the two Chris players that I know of in NYC would actually go to a major.

Or, hell, actually enter Big Two.

Dahbomb

I don't remember that and if someone did say it... that's fucking dumb. I still maintain what I always said... Dante has and always will be the #1 DMC character in the game.

I did hear something similar about Vergil vs Strider when Vergil was revealed. Strider fans were salty over Spiral Swords. That didn't last long either.

Though all of this was when Vergil was new and people didn't know that he can't whiff cancel normals. I guess in that regard people were correct.... if Vergil could whiff cancel his normals he would be S tier easily.

smurfx

get some go again
its kinda funny how ranked hardly has any wolverines or akumas anymore. even though those two characters are really good people would rather just tier whore and go with whatever the pros are picking. you people should learn some character loyalty!

its kinda funny how ranked hardly has any wolverines or akumas anymore. even though those two characters are really good people would rather just tier whore and go with whatever the pros are picking. you people should learn some character loyalty!

Wolverine is still very good but there are good reasons why most people have dropped Akuma. He's just no longer viable as an anchor. The unnecessary health nerf means that he's a big tissue paper and not only that the nerf in the Tatsu makes it a lot easier to happy birthday him, often unintentionally. The change in the metagame means that rather than facing Sentinels, Trons and Haggars you're more likely to face Hawkeyes, Weskers and Dooms, and it's not easy for Akuma to win against these guys. The meter building nerf is a big problem too. I think on the long run even guys like J Wong and Megaman Steve who have struck to Akuma will be forced to drop him.

And people are still salty about the old top tiers. If I use Akuma or Phoenix on point...so much rage for no reason! I think I've only seen 4-5 Wolverines online since Ultimate, you're right. It almost makes me want to pick Wolverine up, but dear god would that be a terrible team combination...

Spider Man players and fans saw the world crashing around them. In the end none of those characters got it bad at all(except poor Jennifer).
I still think She-Hulk is underrated, and people just don't want to learn the new girl. Sort of like Tron.

Dahbomb

Akuma is still really good but the combination of Wolverine plus Akuma isn't as great. Wolverine has a hard time confirming off of random Akuma hits, mix ups and stuff. Ryu Tatsu is in most cases a better fit due to heavier hit stun.

Health nerf doesn't matter, I would gladly trade the health for the better air options. Command flip in the air means Akuma handles Wesker better than most characters because he is virtually immune to cross unders with that move. The Tatsu assist is still one of the best lock down assists in the game and still absorbs projectiles for you. You just can't use it full screen although you never could.

Having to deal with Akuma Tatsu in corner is still a bitch. It's still a staple assist for rushdown based teams, you are just going to use it more for lock downs and corner mix ups than mid screen cross ups. It's not as versatile as before but the one thing that it was the best at... it's still the best at it.

Akuma is still a solid assist + anchor and in fact a better anchor than before. But yeah... tier whoring and stuff. Air X factor also means beam x factor beam is godly.

Wolverine is a beast but people are just bored of him by now. He didn't get anything new that is useful. People don't use him online because they don't want to get exposed for button mashing and getting random Swiss Cheese.

enzo_gt

tagged by Blackace
And people are still salty about the old top tiers. If I use Akuma or Phoenix on point...so much rage for no reason! I think I've only seen 4-5 Wolverines online since Ultimate, you're right. It almost makes me want to pick Wolverine up, but dear god would that be a terrible team combination...
People booing Viscant's Phoenix at BarFights made me say aloud, "Are you fucking serious?"

Akuma is still really good but the combination of Wolverine plus Akuma isn't as great. Wolverine has a hard time confirming off of random Akuma hits, mix ups and stuff. Ryu Tatsu is in most cases a better fit due to heavier hit stun.

Health nerf doesn't matter, I would gladly trade the health for the better air options. Command flip in the air means Akuma handles Wesker better than most characters because he is virtually immune to cross unders with that move. The Tatsu assist is still one of the best lock down assists in the game and still absorbs projectiles for you. You just can't use it full screen although you never could.

Having to deal with Akuma Tatsu in corner is still a bitch. It's still a staple assist for rushdown based teams, you are just going to use it more for lock downs and corner mix ups than mid screen cross ups. It's not as versatile as before but the one thing that it was the best at... it's still the best at it.

Akuma is still a solid assist + anchor and in fact a better anchor than before. But yeah... tier whoring and stuff. Air X factor also means beam x factor beam is godly.

Wolverine is a beast but people are just bored of him by now. He didn't get anything new that is useful. People don't use him online because they don't want to get exposed for button mashing and getting random Swiss Cheese.
Just to be clear, I'm not saying Ultimate Akuma is worse. Rather, it just doesn't make sense to me for someone to rage about him on point, when he is logically loathed for his assist. Ditto Phoenix.

People booing Viscant's Phoenix at BarFights made me say aloud, "Are you fucking serious?"
Seriously? I had my sound turned off. That's ridiculous.

Zissou

I didn't get that either. Also, Floe played pretty bad and deserved to lose. He didn't down exchange for free meter even once. Every match he should've had x-factor strider with oroboros ready to rock against phoenix.

enzo_gt

tagged by Blackace
Real talk though, Iron Fist with slant shot Spencer assist is the most godlike and creative thing I've seen in UMvC3 so far.

Dahbomb

Real talk though, Iron Fist with slant shot Spencer assist is the most godlike and creative thing I've seen in UMvC3 so far.
That's not creative, that's just obvious.

An assist that puts the opponent in a standing state good for a character who wants you to be standing? WHO THOUGHT THAT WOULD BE GOOD???

Now Nova plus Spencer is godlike because hitting stagger into Javelin puts them in roll situation and it's a 50/50 they have to deal with. THAT is technology because it leads into so much reset potential.

enzo_gt

tagged by Blackace
That's not creative, that's just obvious.

An assist that puts the opponent in a standing state good for a character who wants you to be standing? WHO THOUGHT THAT WOULD BE GOOD???

Now Nova plus Spencer is godlike because hitting stagger into Javelin puts them in roll situation and it's a 50/50 they have to deal with. THAT is technology because it leads into so much reset potential.
Whoever it is, that man is a GENIUS I say. Far more interesting and badass looking than any 50/50 guess setups in the game.

Dahbomb

What one button of Felicia has that beats Zero's j.H? None that's what.

Zero hate is logical. Ryan/Flash are right... the Wesker nerf if it comes is going to expose people to the truth that Zero is ridiculous in this game.

LMAO @ Flash "Viper sucks... Seismo spam is too hard, I don't like point only characters and she doesn't have enough tools".

enzo_gt

tagged by Blackace
What one button of Felicia has that beats Zero's j.H? None that's what.

Zero hate is logical. Ryan/Flash are right... the Wesker nerf if it comes is going to expose people to the truth that Zero is ridiculous in this game.

LMAO @ Flash "Viper sucks... Seismo spam is too hard, I don't like point only characters and she doesn't have enough tools".
Really though, am I missing something? Who doesn't know Zero is ridiculous in this game? People said it before release, first week and are still saying it.

It's pretty much fact at this point, and tuning Wesker in comparison won't bring up what everyone already knows.

Dahbomb

Everyone complains about Wesker every where. People are screaming about Wesker nerfs.

Where are the screams for nerfs on a character that is better than Wesker? I don't see how he gets to charge his best tool that fast allowing him to get multiple relaunches an 1 million damage off of throws and how his lightning effect persists even after Buster. That has to be an unintended glitch.

I can deal with the high priority normals and Buster, I can't deal with Lightning bull shit. Before that was a one time thing, you can't do raw lightnings because it's unsafe. Now it's like... I use Lightning and then cancel into Buster only the effect of the Lightning still persists after I have cancelled after it. After the Buster I can do another Lightning to confirm into TOD combo.

If you are playing Zero and not abusing this aspect of him... you aren't playing him correctly.

I still think Wesker is worse than Vanilla. Gunshot nerf keeps me up at night.
Wesker is definitely nerfed if you play him smart and on point like Viscant does. Especially due to HSD from assists and mashing for free techs off of everything... getting resets is so hard.

Smart Wesker play is nerfed... brain dead Wesker play is hella buffed. I don't even want to list how many ways they buffed brain dead Wesker play in this game it disgusts me even as a Wesker player.

Thing is Wesker IS WORSE! His vanilla X factor bonus still beats his level 4 XF bonus.

People NEVER learned the Wesker matchup to begin with.

Why he is so dominate.

Bizazedo

Where are the screams for nerfs on a character that is better than Wesker? I don't see how he gets to charge his best tool that fast allowing him to get multiple relaunches an 1 million damage off of throws and how his lightning effect persists even after Buster. That has to be an unintended glitch.

I can deal with the high priority normals and Buster, I can't deal with Lightning bull shit. Before that was a one time thing, you can't do raw lightnings because it's unsafe. Now it's like... I use Lightning and then cancel into Buster only the effect of the Lightning still persists after I have cancelled after it. After the Buster I can do another Lightning to confirm into TOD combo.

If you are playing Zero and not abusing this aspect of him... you aren't playing him correctly.
I'd actually bet you that the lightning / buster / lightning was intentional. It was known for a LONG time.

I have a rough time believing doing the lightning and cancelling into buster before Zero even moves and have it fly out as a projectile of sorts was intentional, though. It just looks too odd.

enzo_gt

tagged by Blackace
Thing is Wesker IS WORSE! His vanilla X factor bonus still beats his level 4 XF bonus.

Why he is so dominate.
Yep. Wesker is definitely worse currently because of all of this and more importantly the ease of use factor (which is ultimately why he was always used more than zero) and how easily he can be thrown anywhere on a team to maximum effectiveness, especially as a makeshift anchor.

It's easier to be a Wesker player than a Zero one, hence why Wesker is a much bigger problem, and has always been.

The x-factor thing doesn't even rate, he should never anchor.
Wesker is definitely nerfed if you play him smart and on point like Viscant does. Especially due to HSD from assists and mashing for free techs off of everything... getting resets is so hard.

Smart Wesker play is nerfed... brain dead Wesker play is hella buffed. I don't even want to list how many ways they buffed brain dead Wesker play in this game it disgusts me even as a Wesker player.

It's not even that, none of that really matters. It's that I have to have a fast assist now to play Wesker like I used to, which slows down my game plan and makes it harder to pin people down because I give up a lockdown assist. It's not a huge deal because I play my best in every fighting game when I'm set up for hit and run(ask axis how I play Vampire), but I would like to have a defensive assist instead of two offensive ones.

Also, they need to fix Shuma. Double his model size(to about Tron), and give ray assist soft knockdown plz thanks

Sixfortyfive

He who pursues two rabbits gets two rabbits.

Why he is so dominate.
I think it's just a matter of his nerfs affecting him less than other characters, meaning that he really isn't "nerfed" at all compared to the rest of the cast in the end. At least with how he's being used anyway.

People hated Phoenix not just because she's top tier and broken, but because the design of a character which encourages you not to use meters is stupid as ****. The same goes for Wolverine, people see him as a scrub character that takes no skill to play and they hate him because of that. Nerfing them won't change people's hate of them, just look at how everyone hated the giant robots of TvC and guys like Blanka and Ken in SF4.

Dahbomb

So? He still kills in one combo and is actually faster now. In this game his XF boosts are in the upper tier of the cast.

Anchor Wesker has no nerfs on him, all buffs. He can still do gun shot into combos from full screen. Random Phantom dances wins matches due to it's stupid high damage. Nerfs to assist HSD means Wesker's Low Gun shot is the choice assist for combo extensions.

There is nothing to learn about the Wesker match up. If your character cannot mount an offense from the air or doesn't have sword normals... Wesker is at an advantage against you. What is there to learn about the fact that he has a 1 frame command grab meaning if you are in a block string you are at risk of getting command grab. Which makes you want to jump up but get clipped by a frame trap or command grabbed anyway. What is there to learn that if he's at anchor you have to think about chicken blocking because you get your feets clipped due to his godly anti-air normals or get shot into combo or get air thrown (well in this version you are safer from air throws)? What is there to learn about his jump S which hits all around him and is completely safe just like the rest of his normals? What is there to learn about his cr.M which has as much range as many sword normals in the game?

Just finished reading through Ultradavid's article on SRK and I'm amazed at the scope of his analysis. I hope someone tweeted this to Seth if only so that he might communicate some basic stuff to Capcom(not that it will get through). There aren't many folks like him in the FGC. I can see why people say that he and James Chen are primed to make a killing from the FGC merging with Esports.

Why he is so dominate.
His X-Factor bonuses are still cream of the crop thanks to the glasses buff in particular and it is exacerbated by the fact that he has great teleports and wavedashes.

The guy was a pixie tank in XF before and he is even more of a tank relative to the rest of the cast now thanks to glasses.
This stream is depressing :(.

Also, Huoshen thinks Zero >>>> Felicia. I dunno, man. I dunno.
There is no contest. Felicia can't touch Zero at all. That little fucker is ridiculous.

enzo_gt

tagged by Blackace
His X-Factor bonuses are still cream of the crop thanks to the glasses buff in particular and it is exacerbated by the fact that he has great teleports and wavedashes.

The guy was a pixie tank in XF before and he is even more of a tank relative to the rest of the cast than before.
Don't worry, we'll slash his health again and that'll fix everything!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom