• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Ultimate Marvel vs. Capcom 3 |OT| of 9 Years Urley

Status
Not open for further replies.

Nert

I stream monster more than I play, and I have no problem admitting that I'd love to see some Wesker nerfs just to see some actual team variety and improve my viewing experience. Whether or not he is truly overpowered, he is still on almost everyone's team. I went through a bizarre experience tonight where I was hyped up to see some great Viewtiful Joe play from Flash Metroid while also being salty that even he had Wesker on that team : /

Nerf XF3 Sentinel.
Nerf XF3 Dark Phoenix.
Nerf XF3 Wesker.
Nerf XF3 __________.

/brokenrecord
X-Factor is their baby so they'll never put it on a leash like they should have. Another 30% damage reduction and 20% speed reduction across the board would probably do it though.
Don't worry, we'll slash his health again and that'll fix everything!
This reminds me of Skullgirls and SFII. Are there any other modern fighters that follow that old equal health principle? I haven't heard of a Capcom fighter that has tried it since and it seems like a mystery when you look at how successful SFII is. I can understand ignoring Vampire Savior's ideas since it was a shitty seller, but I figured ST's quirks would be worth more considering it's status in the genre.

Dahbomb

normal jumping > anchor wesker

anchor wesker w/o x-factor am cry
Dark Weskers WANTS you to normal jump like an idiot so he can clip your on the back of your calves. Wesker random gun into teleport H and j.S at certain ranges is an ambiguous cross up and while in the air you can't do shit about it but guess at times. Best way to deal with Dark Wesker is super jumping and buying time but then you can't see him below the screen and have to deal with cross unders. With the crack speed that he is in, he can cross under you twice before you can even stick out a button.

Any anchor without X factor am cry... including Dark Phoenix who you can chip out with a beam for the kill. This rarely comes into play because 20 seconds of LVL3XF is enough to kill 3 characters rather quickly. The whole point of anchor play in UMVC3 is abusing X factor mechanics, no one would put Wesker at the back if XFLVL3 wasn't so powerful.

On a slightly different note, Anchor Ammy is extremely effective because she can deny these comebacks by just running out the clock especially against Wesker but not many people play her unfortunately.

Nerf XF3 Sentinel.
Nerf XF3 Dark Phoenix.
Nerf XF3 Wesker.
Nerf XF3 __________.

/brokenrecord
I have an easier answer...

Nerf XF2 and XF3. Numerous problems solved. The XF times should definitely be reduced, they are way too long for 2 and 3.

The nerf on Wolverine's XFLVL1 (and XF in general) was something that was greatly needed to boost high level play in the game. People are so quick to forget some of the extremely powerful stuff that ran vanilla not so long ago.

I have an easier answer...

Nerf XF2 and XF3. Numerous problems solved. The XF times should definite be reduced, they are way too long for 2 and 3.
No screw messing with the time. I liked the time even in Vanilla. It made the inevitable chip losses occur less often which is great. Chip in Mahvel really got out of control and XF is a nice way of dealing with it. The bonuses are ridiculous, but the time is okay.
On a slightly different note, Anchor Ammy is extremely effective because she can deny these comebacks by just running out the clock especially against Wesker but not many people play her unfortunately.
or she can ARF ARF ARF him to death in XF3 off a single light attack hit confirm.

I have never feared Wesker in XF3 when Ammy had XF3 in vanilla. I'd fear him less even now. Anyone else against him(I don't play zero) and I'd be shitting bricks though.

Dahbomb

20 seconds on XFLVL3 on average is way too much. It should be 10, 12.5, 15 seconds on time across all of them instead of 10/15/20.

Damage increase should be 20/35/50 instead of 25/50/75 % increase on average. Speed increase also needs to be scaled back. Minimum damage in XF should be scaled down even more, from 35% to 25%.

Maybe in Pringles edition... although I really hope they fix the TAC counter window asap. That shit is still dumb luck.

I wish X-factor was all just X-factor level 1. With the moment of use (1 character alive, 2 character alive, or 3 character alive) just results in different amount of time it remains active.

It's been brought up before - and it's the most reasonable way to allow the bullshit comeback factor that Capcom seems to love, while somewhat balancing it for the fighting scene.

Maybe, in respect to the groove system in CvS you can choose if you want the speed or power boost. It would give shit some more depth to.

Sixfortyfive

He who pursues two rabbits gets two rabbits.
This reminds me of Skullgirls and SFII. Are there any other modern fighters that follow that old equal health principle? I haven't heard of a Capcom fighter that has tried it since and it seems like a mystery when you look at how successful SFII is. I can understand ignoring Vampire Savior's ideas since it was a shitty seller, but I figured ST's quirks would be worth more considering it's status in the genre.
I think varying defense values are more of a 2D fighter trope in general. I'm pretty sure Virtua Fighter has never had it, anyway.

I wish X-factor was all just X-factor level 1.
Agreed.

Solune

Just wanted to drop in and say that Chris is super underrated still and I wish the two Chris players that I know of in NYC would actually go to a major.

Or, hell, actually enter Big Two.
He definitely got buffed up from Vanilla. It's a shame, I wish I could enter a major show off some tech.
GGs Sollune... let's do that again real soon.

screw chris redfield

I've never gotten Chris hate EVER, even since Vanilla. I don't know how to feel about that. Also yah we should do that again, I need more training partners but the chatroom is ALWAYS empty.

Seraphis Cain

bad gameplay lol
Went 8-2 in a lobby with my Ghost Rider/Haggar/Sentinel team a bit ago. So glad I finally found a team that works for me. I think that's probably because both GR and Haggar's combos aren't execution-heavy at all. Very easy to perform and pretty high damage as well. I'm not terribly good with Sent but he does his job as assist/anchor pretty well.

IntelliHeath

As in "Heathcliff"
That's not creative, that's just obvious.

An assist that puts the opponent in a standing state good for a character who wants you to be standing? WHO THOUGHT THAT WOULD BE GOOD???

Now Nova plus Spencer is godlike because hitting stagger into Javelin puts them in roll situation and it's a 50/50 they have to deal with. THAT is technology because it leads into so much reset potential.

It made me very glad that they didn't make Javelin Assist and took one of slide assist out. I would imagine how much salty it would be.

V_Arnold

The problem with X-Factor 2-3 is simple: it is basically an amplifier of any difference between characters. What happens is that if you have a char that deals insane damage without the biggest weakness being a tad slow - well, XF3 enhances the speed just to be near unfollowable, so weakness removed, insane damage even more amplified.

XF3 would work in an "ideal" world, but when you are on an offensive, the defensive players who will come in with their 3rd characters when an active XF3 Wesker (or something similar) is already on the screen, it is just ONE wrong guess on the entry point, and that is it. And that is dumb design, imho.

Actually, I just investigated a little more and maybe I'm wrong. It's not that he gives projectile invincibility, but he "eats" the beam after touching it and it's left without any hitbox. Apparently Viper and Akuma can do this too since vanilla and I never knew >.>

enzo_gt

tagged by Blackace
nova's hyper is invincible against projectiles, however if you dhc into something else before nova hits the opponent, he transfers that invincibility to his teamate.
This is so awesome. I mean, terribly broken, but SO awesome.

Also, does MK9 have varying vitality or no? Not quite sure but at a casual glance they seemed fairly equal.

I doubt they do, otherwise, since it uses percentages, the damage of combos would be inconsistent and all over the place. Although I DO think Cyber-Sub gets extra defense or something, but maybe I'm remembering wrong.

GuardianE

Santa May Claus
That's fantastic.

Guardian, we have to play again for longer :).

Hahah, actually the more I think about it, it doesn't seem TOO broken right now since the conditions require Human Rocket to be active and not hitting the opponent. If the opponent was presumably using projectiles, Human Rocket would have hit anyway, and Nova would have likely been able to DHC after for additional damage.

There might be some crazy setup applications, though. If there are some powerful lvl 1 Hypers that aren't projectiles and don't have projectile invincibility and can be followed up (like Spencer's Bionic Maneuvers maybe).

EDIT: Oh, so maybe there's no glitch after all.

mr. puppy

Banned
i keep seeing people comparing Human Rocket to Bionic Arm, but has anybody made it work in a tourney match? It just seems so hard to do on reaction vs. a projectile unless its something slow like Dante's air fireball.

enzo_gt

tagged by Blackace
i keep seeing people comparing Human Rocket to Bionic Arm, but has anybody made it work in a tourney match? It just seems so hard to do on reaction vs. a projectile unless its something slow like Dante's air fireball.
To be honest, I've seen a lot of times where Novas have the stock, their opponent does not for a potential counter-DHC, and they just don't go for it. It seems odd but I guess they rationalize it in their heads as wanting to save the meter for actual combos instead. Either that or people aren't really happy to liberally throw it out either. You can't liberally through out Bionic Arms either, and the Human Rocket is definitely more unsafe.

GuardianE

Santa May Claus
To be honest, I've seen a lot of times where Novas have the stock, their opponent does not for a potential counter-DHC, and they just don't go for it. It seems odd but I guess they rationalize it in their heads as wanting to save the meter for actual combos instead. Either that or people aren't really happy to liberally throw it out either. You can't liberally through out Bionic Arms either, and the Human Rocket is definitely more unsafe.

Well, also there's the fact that you can combo after a raw Bionic Arm. You can't combo after a Human Rocket. Human Rocket is far more safe, though, since you can aim it down and ground yourself. There's practically no punish window if your opponent blocks.

Dark Weskers WANTS you to normal jump like an idiot so he can clip your on the back of your calves. Wesker random gun into teleport H and j.S at certain ranges is an ambiguous cross up and while in the air you can't do shit about it but guess at times. Best way to deal with Dark Wesker is super jumping and buying time but then you can't see him below the screen and have to deal with cross unders. With the crack speed that he is in, he can cross under you twice before you can even stick out a button.

Any anchor without X factor am cry... including Dark Phoenix who you can chip out with a beam for the kill. This rarely comes into play because 20 seconds of LVL3XF is enough to kill 3 characters rather quickly. The whole point of anchor play in UMVC3 is abusing X factor mechanics, no one would put Wesker at the back if XFLVL3 wasn't so powerful.

I'm not saying to normal jump like an asshole, but he can't really do anything if you focus on avoiding the gunshots and tech throws. Most dangerous tool he has on anchor is command grab. Don't get caught on the ground, and jump in the opposite direction when he teleports.

Anyway, I just fly around with magneto a little above standing gunshot height until x factor runs out.

...couldn't characters with slides just basically slip back and forth at full screen and he couldn't do anything about it?

anchor wesker w/o x-factor am cry

Duh, that applies to any character.

As a side note, when I am against a dark wesker with my Doom or Sent, I just try to fly up into the corner and wait it out. I try to do the same with Haggar, but that is less effective. Random Max Wesker is bound to tag me on the way down though somehow, hehe.

This is why dark wesker is dumb, and XF3 in general is dumb. The mechanic is so stupid and overpowered, it encourages you to run away into the corners of the screen to just not deal with it, instead of fighting it out, because the risk/reward ratio is not worth it.

I agree with everybody else. XF1 bonus is all their should be. They can keep the 3 time tiers if they want though.

Bizazedo

Well, also there's the fact that you can combo after a raw Bionic Arm. You can't combo after a Human Rocket. Human Rocket is far more safe, though, since you can aim it down and ground yourself. There's practically no punish window if your opponent blocks.

Depends on the characters. Some can punish him, but that requires beam style hypers.

I love when people are using primarily keep away characters like Hawkeye (or projectile based ones like Dormammu). I'll burn meter like a son of a bitch throwing out tackles.

You do need to predict it / get reads, though. You have to start yours before Gimlet or Spell of Vishanti, for example, to not be knocked out of it.

It's not hard to read most people, though, since they spam projectiles.

Dr. Strange? Akuma? Wolverine? Dormammu? Hawkeye?

Wesker is crying when he is last without x-factor? He seems pretty happy to me still, though he would be even more bubbly if he had Xfactor on deck.

What is your point? That Wesker is crying if he is anchor and he doesn't have an X-factor left?

All characters are less than enthused if they are the last one standing without an x-factor.

Wesker without X-factor vs Strange, Akuma, Wolverine, Dorm, or Hawk with X-factor? sure, Wesker is crying a little. I guess he will jump into the corner alot too as well to wait it out.

Bizazedo

I'm not saying to normal jump like an asshole, but he can't really do anything if you focus on avoiding the gunshots and tech throws. Most dangerous tool he has on anchor is command grab. Don't get caught on the ground, and jump in the opposite direction when he teleports.

Anyway, I just fly around with magneto a little above standing gunshot height until x factor runs out.

...couldn't characters with slides just basically slip back and forth at full screen and he couldn't do anything about it?

People have been trained not to run in Marvel. Even when they should :(.

What can wesker do on anchor without x-factor? He can't confirm gunshots, he has no high/low game, he can't cross you up, he has no way to beat pushblock or chickenblocking, has no full screen punishes, crap chip and he can't do lvl 3 after a full combo. NOTHING about Wesker lends itself to being an anchor, other than fucktarded x-factor boosts and hoping people shit themselves. It's neither a consistent or particularly smart plan.

The Nova thing makes sense because I think they just turn him into a high durability projectile that just cancels out every type of projectile no matter the durability.

I'm guessing the same thing would work with Viper's Emergency Combination, no?

Also I gotta say...hitting the Phoenix instant kill still feels good mang in Ultimate :D

Tokido adjusting for the Hidden Missiles mid-air combo with Hypergrav is smart stuff.

What can wesker do on anchor without x-factor? He can't confirm gunshots, he has no high/low game, he can't cross you up, he has no way to beat pushblock or chickenblocking, has no full screen punishes, crap chip and he can't do lvl 3 after a full combo. NOTHING about Wesker lends itself to being an anchor, other than fucktarded x-factor boosts and hoping people shit themselves. It's neither a consistent or particularly smart plan.

That's why XF3 needs to go. And why people stick Wesker at anchor, and don't burn XF early, to put the odds in their favor.

XF3 abuse magnifies the character imbalances (which has been stated).

But Capcom will never address the real XF3 issue, cause they love their genius comeback mechanic (I love the roman cancel aspect of it though).

The Nova thing makes sense because I think they just turn him into a high durability projectile that just cancels out every type of projectile no matter the durability.

I'm guessing the same thing would work with Viper's Emergency Combination, no?

Also I gotta say...hitting the Phoenix instant kill still feels good mang in Ultimate :D

Can you use the instant kill as a dhc reset in other situations?

zlatko

Banned
I practiced for an hour last night just trying to do Nova's H fly, H, unfly, H, launch combos. I still often screw up the second unfly and get a tag assist in the air. If I try to slow it down, I miss the window, I do it too fast, I must hit the launch button a smidge before a full QCF is input.

Once I got somewhat consistent on those H's, I came to the issue of that the H when you are back on the ground whiffs. Ugh. :(

My most practical combo right now with Nova does 750Kish with 1 bar of meter and involves Wesker gunshot assist.

Anyone know a non flight combo with Nova that can net me 800-900K with 1 meter, and uses Wesker/Hawkeye in it ?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom