• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Ultimate Marvel vs. Capcom 3 |OT| of 9 Years Urley

Status
Not open for further replies.

RS4-

Well I think the "counter" to it is really high damage, like maining Red Hulk, having another damage increasing card, and maybe a hyper damage increase card. Can't heal if you die in a single magic series combo into hyper.

I just troll the fuck out of them by locking them down with redfield grenades and snap backs

Boss Doggie

all my loli wolf companions are so moe
It's the English version of the game, so the characters will refer to the character as their English name (Hsien-Ko, Akuma, Phoenix Wright, Firebrand). If you switch your console to Japanese (at least, this works for PS3), then the game will become the Japanese version, and the characters are now referred to as Lei-Lei, Gouki, Naruhodo-kun and Red Arremer.

Ah that's interesting, so it's the console language deciding it regardless of the voice you chose.

Grecco

Went to see Mission Impossible 4 last night. During the previews, a commercial for Bod body spray comes on...

...and I recognized the girl in the commercial as X-23 from Max's vids.

Ive seen that commercial so many times and i hadnt recognized her but you are right heh.

Dahbomb

YO Marvel-GAF what's good?

Wow those Morrigan combos were hot! They look extremely difficult to do. Someone needs to forward the last few combos to Dieminion.

Looking over the rules for MVC3 for EVO.. this rule struck me as funny:

* Game version: US Playstation 3
* Game Settings: 99 Seconds, 2/3 Games, Default Handicap, Default Damage
* You may not use any glitch that prevents the game from being played. This includes game freezing, game resetting, player freezing, etc.
* Deadbody infinites are allowed to gain a positional advantage, but not to delay the game.
* Winner must keep same starting character, but can switch the order of assists.
* You may not use the same character twice on one team.

And BOOS at 2/3.

Oldschoolgamer

The physical form of blasphemy

Wow those Morrigan combos were hot! They look extremely difficult to do. Someone needs to forward the last few combos to Dieminion.

* You may not use any glitch that prevents the game from being played. This includes game freezing, game resetting, player freezing, etc.
* Deadbody infinites are allowed to gain a positional advantage, but not to delay the game.
* Winner must keep same starting character, but can switch the order of assists.

And BOOS at 2/3.

Do they know something that we don't? lol 2/3 still? *sigh* Not even surprised that they didn't change it.

Dahbomb

It looks like people have figured out that Sabretooth/Luke Cage/Nick Fury cards are cheap as fuck and you can generally make teams that are hard to kill.

Took them long enough... I am surprised people haven't figured out that Parry cards are broke as fuck.

The meta of the H&H game is this:

X Factor/High damage build: High damage, high speed and multiple XFC to take advantage of the most powerful mechanic in the game. Probably the most popular build day 1 of H&H. Some of the XF cards come with the a cost and usually require that you have meter on deck. You aren't gaining any additional tool on this build aside from having a ton of XF for your disposal. XF means you are immune to chip build cards and keepaway type cards.

Meter drain/Counter pick build: A ton of cards in H&H require meter on use. Some boost meter gain or just give you meter on deck on start. Fortunately there are also a ton of cards that remove or even trade meter with the opponent. Decks built around meter drain/countering high level decks basically nullify the pros of other decks and strip them of their worth completely. No more super armor, no more XF, no more assists during hit stun etc. This especially rapes Phoenix builds too.

Regeneration/Defensive/Tank build: Basically a build that makes you unkillable. You don't have a ton of damage on this team but you don't need it. You don't even need meter so you are safe from counter pick build. Cards like Nick Fury heals you at very low health meaning certain characters can't even kill you without heavy damage. Apparently chip builds negate the regen effect so that might counter this. You pretty much need high damage build to counter this.

Disruptor/Parry build: Pretty much the most powerful build in the game built around either parry or armor or assists during hit stun. The point of this build is to simply disrupt their offensive options. They are zoning? You move in with super armor or Parry. They are chipping you? Parry. They are using X factor? Cock block them with armor, parry or assist/parry during hit stun. Armor/assist during hit stun is countered by meter drain builds but Parry build isn't. You also will need a powerful one hitter on this team to counter Defensive builds as you can't kill those builds with parry.

Chipping/Zoning/Meter gain build: Pretty much the point of this build is to just sit back and overwhelm opponent with long ranged projectiles while healing/gaining meter. This specializes in high damage hyper combos and chip meaning by the time they even reach you they will be hurt substantially. Lots of passive bonuses on this team. Downside is against X factor and Parry builds which negate a ton of zoning. Meter drain teams also can take away precious meter on this team depending upon team construction. Don't know effectiveness against defensive builds some people say it is others say it isn't. This build defines "cheese".

Invisible/Snap Back build: This build has one purpose and that is to get the first hit and initiate a cycle of snap backs to victory. Every time a snap back is hit, the player gains immense buffs like invisibility, damage buff, meter gain and even meter drain. This build counters many build and is very hard to counter as it's extremely hard to hit something you can't see. The hard counter to this build is the Luke Cage/Servbot auto block build.

Technology build: This build is the most variating build out of them all. This involves giving your characters a particular tech that makes them more difficult to beat in combat. Stuff like giving Hulk an air dash or invisible Hsien Ko like dashes or double jumps or projectile invulnerability during dashes or more durable projectiles. By giving certain characters certain techs they are able to over come previous bad match ups and gain an upper hand in battle. There are a ton of tech builds for various characters so this is still being developed. There is no real hard counter to this build other than the disruptor build I guess. This build is mostly used for fun though.

Haven't seen any other build that caught my eye as being stupid broke. If your build isn't stupid broke it isn't viable at all and simply reserved for shits and giggles.

smurfx

get some go again
hey dahbomb what is the best card combination for heavy zoners? i think i may use the sabretooth/nick fury combo since i will always get healed since i'm usually playing keep away.

Burning Water

Neo Member

And BOOS at 2/3.

Sup, dawg?

So, any reason why when I use Devil Trigger with Vergil and immediately try to level 3 hyper, I get a DHC instead?

smurfx

get some go again
Sup, dawg?

So, any reason why when I use Devil Trigger with Vergil and immediately try to level 3 hyper, I get a DHC instead?
you always got to wait a bit before using another hyper with same character. the opposite happens with zero sometimes. i use sougenmmu and if i don't dhc into another character right away i'll end up getting his rekkoha hyper.

Dahbomb

You are doing the input for the LVL3 during the DT flash. Wait for the flash to be over, then input the LVL3 you usually have enough time to connect if it's a hard knockdown. This happens to me all the time. Now I just do DT -> X factor -> LVL3.

Vergil's LVL3 needs to have the highest priority out of all the hypers including a DHC. This shit is just bogus that you get something else when you worked so hard to set up the LVL4.

hey dahbomb what is the best card combination for heavy zoners? i think i may use the sabretooth/nick fury combo since i will always get healed since i'm usually playing keep away.
That sounds good. I would invest in a card that gives you buffs/boosts on advance guard like Thanos. Those cards are really good for keep away since you are going to be advance guarding a lot anyway. I would also invest in cards that deal with Blodia and X factor cards if possible.

In other news... good news for Iron Man fans. The new air dash change in the H&H patch actually buffs up IM. He is now less vulnerable after his super jump tri-dash and can block after about half way through it's trajectory. YAY!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=B-oe__mh1AI&feature=player_ <-- Grown ass man damage

X-Factor abuse is probably one of the more important things zoners should be looking to abuse or guard against in H&H. I wish I had something to record with so I could save some of my Arthur replays. Not that it takes much imagination to picture what I do, but it's hilarious how the opponent acts sometimes.

And BOOS at 2/3.
Those are MVC3 rules? Looks like Mvc2 rules!

Dahbomb

LOL Hsien Ko was on 2 different kinds of damage boosts and still had to use 2 meters for the character kill. Forever alone...

That Wesker jump combo was swag.

GREAT COMBO VID AS ALWAYS!

Tobe

awesome video Caj, and that morrigan cmv was the shit!!!! i love this game so much stuff that yet to find makes me anxious for evo 2k12

Dahbomb

The winter break is going to give players enough time to get in the lab without having to worry about going to tournaments and stuff. I know a lot of people dropped Dante/Magneto because they didn't have the time to get in the lab and learn new BnBs with them, hoping for a resurgence of these strong characters and the new strong characters. I am especially looking at the top 5 of the newer cast (as per listed in my submission for the survey) Strider, Firebrand, Vergil, Hawkeye and Nova to become more prominent picks along with the occasional Frank West, Strange, Iron Fist, Ghost Rider and Nemesis. Still too early I feel for Rocket Raccoon to shine and PW is pretty much a non-factor in the game's meta at this point.

Hawkeye in particular I feel is going to be the most picked out of the newer cast early on. So easy to play him without a ton of match experience because if you are good with zoning he fits like a glove (once you wrap your head around his QCB trick shots). Hawkeye also counter picks many of the current top characters more importantly Zero and the soon to be dangerous character Firebrand. Hawkeye in turn is weaker against hard ground rushdown based team (Wolverine in particular) so I am thinking people might look towards the original BFFs once more. If that happens people might go for the easy route of counter picking with Ghost Rider or the best route of picking Zero.

Expect to see a ton of characters people consider middle tier to make noise simply due to the strength of the mid characters in the game's balance and meta.

And BOOS at 2/3.
They are obviously referring to Dante and Vergil.
Crispy as fuck and impeccable taste in music as usual.

This is the first time I've actually seen Heroes and Heralds at all and that shit looks bananas.

RS4-

Daken against the Luke Cage/Sabretooth teams works pretty well. One nice big damage combo into a snap back means they can only regen very little of their health until they're actually back on point.

I don't know how much two Daken's would stack and if it'd be worth it. And yeah Godot vs the super armor and Dark Phoenix players is pretty good (not so much against non DP teams as they usually have a card that auto builds meter)

Roto13

It's kind of disappointing that you can't use the same character more than one time in a team, though. Like at all. Even in single player. :p

Dahbomb

1) Select Heroes and Heralds mode
2) Obtain Multi Man card
3) Equip Multi Man card.
4) Select character you want to use multiple times on a team first...pick whoever next.
Profit?

A Pretty Panda

fuckin' called it, man
Daken against the Luke Cage/Sabretooth teams works pretty well. One nice big damage combo into a snap back means they can only regen very little of their health until they're actually back on point.

I don't know how much two Daken's would stack and if it'd be worth it. And yeah Godot vs the super armor and Dark Phoenix players is pretty good (not so much against non DP teams as they usually have a card that auto builds meter)

Yeah, I use Daken + 2 Luke Cages. Daken has the same level of healing that Sabertooth does but doesn't have the extra hit stun deterioration.

I think snap backs in general work really well vs. that deck. Even if your opponent has a bunch of red health, it taker foreeeever for it to heal back up.

RS4-

Yeah, snap backs make the scrubs go crazy because they can't just rely on healing all day.

I just run Daken and two Thanos lol.

Roto13

The XBLA version of 2 let you do this in versus mode. Six sentinels was lols.

Yeah, the PSN/XBLA version had it unlocked from the start. The retail versions from last generation let you unlock that ability by buying all of the colours or something. :p Download version just starts with everything unlocked.

Azure J

SolarPowered with the Hsien-Ko avatar again? All is right on GAF again. :lol

Caj, that combo video is beastly. Great music too. :D

i love this video in particular for Soul & Pimp, that band is fucking incredible

I found out about them through anime and can't believe I wouldn't have heard of them otherwise. Their shit is great. :D

Sixfortyfive

He who pursues two rabbits gets two rabbits.
So, I've started using a deck that gives me multiple X-Factors and it's making me realize that I really need to practice X-Factor combos.

H&H can be useful for training in some capacity.

Burning Water

Neo Member
you always got to wait a bit before using another hyper with same character. the opposite happens with zero sometimes. i use sougenmmu and if i don't dhc into another character right away i'll end up getting his rekkoha hyper.

You are doing the input for the LVL3 during the DT flash. Wait for the flash to be over, then input the LVL3 you usually have enough time to connect if it's a hard knockdown. This happens to me all the time. Now I just do DT -> X factor -> LVL3.

Thanks, guys. X factor doesn't sound too shabby beforehand, either.

Sidenote, fuck Wesker. The more I fight him, I wonder more as to why Capcom thought such a character really needed a command throw, especially one with such low startup. FUCK.

shaowebb

I wanted to pop back in and contribute something fun for you guys since it'd been awhile, but I'm really out of the loop it seems.

I hadn't really played for a bit, but I wanted to stop by and see how things have been going here. From what I can see its still Wesker vs Wesker 3 fate of 2 Weskers so it doesn't really look like theres any easy tactic of handling that. Still looks like some good tech has been found since I last showed up so maybe gameplay will tighten up in favor of other cast soon to make them stand out more in tournies. Haggar is finally getting some respect as a point character from what I've seen after reading through what I've missed.

Since I don't really have anything UMVC3 to add after being away so long I thought I'd still try to find something to contribute here to all us fighting-Gaf fans. I have in my possession the rarest most WTF thing Capcom may have ever made. I've owned it for years before finally discovering what it is.

I own official merchandise of "Midnight Bliss form Hydron" from Capcom Fighting Evolution. Large tentacle creature from Red Earth for those who don't know who Hydron is. When hit by Demitri's "Midnight Bliss" move he turns into a loli.

Thought it'd be fun to share for a laugh. Sorry its a bit offtopic and not UMVC3, but its the only fun thing I have to add since I'm out of the loop and I thought some of the longtimer fans in here would get a kick out of it. Maybe I can find something fun to add or do some fanart or something for the next time I come in since its been so long since i've dicked around that way here.

Maybe next time...for now enjoy.

eSaRa.jpg

M42bH.jpg

0DHX5.jpg

SAu8S.jpg

Which leads me to a very fun thought...how awesome would it be if Demitri made it into UMVC3 someday just for all the ridiculous midnight bliss transformations. Hulk? Shuma Gorath? Rocket Raccoon? Zero turning into Iris? Sentinel? Dormammu? Oh the comedy gold opportunities he would add to this game with rule 63...

Degen

Team Rider is gonna take a secondary spot to Team Armor for the remainder of my Marvel time. GR does really well (online, anyway), but his fighting style is hype-less.

Whether Nemesis is the better character overall or not, he's a lot more open-ended and a hell of a lot more fun. Ironically it's partially because of some of his flaws, like his weird armor times, his slow (for a grab) Level 3 and his not-guaranteed rocket hyper.

then there's my favorite reason, as illustrated by vanilla sf4..

Heroes are winning this week :(

WHERE MAH HERALDS AT??
you're on the 360 version, right? PSN had just better be rockin' dat chrome

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom