• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Ultimate Marvel vs. Capcom 3 |OT| of 9 Years Urley

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dahbomb

But...NG2 had the best combat in the series >_>
I preferred the one in Ninja Gaiden Black. Didn't like some of the additions in the sequel although loved the weapon variety in it. There was also a general lack of polish in NG2 where as NGB was one of the most polish games I have ever played.

On the other hand there is a cavernous gap between DMC1 and DMC3 in terms of game play. DMC4 is the closest thing to DMC3 but DMC3 actually has more content and options in its game play which is hilarious considering the difference in hardware for the 2 games.

I also didn't state that DMC3 is better than DMC1 OVERALL... DMC1 is a landmark genre game, an instant classic that any self proclaimed gamer should play at least once. It set the benchmark for the genre.

NGB absolutely shits on NG2 in most ways, but I do prefer the combat options in the second game over the first one

NG3 will probably worse then both :/

saveus.kamiya

Dahbomb

Only way to settle the debate, post your best DMC3 video and I'll post my best NG2 video. Let the jury decide.
I lose because mine is sub par by today's standards. :(

It was fly back in 2007 though... You win.

On a similar note... NG3 and DmC both look like horse shit. Let's not shit this thread with their existence.

Razor210

Best assist in the game - Hawkeye's Triple Shot, hands down.

It's a great defensive AND offensive assist, has great priority, and Hawkeye barely spends any time on screen.

Currently messing around with Taskmaster/Nova/Hawkeye, and its a pretty solid team IMO.

Dahbomb

The secret appears to be a shit ton of fireball cancels into flight into fireballs with Astra Vision and Hidden Missiles.

GB, I think NG has the best/most engaging normal enemies.
DMC1 shadow cats and lizardmen are up high up there though.
DMC1 enemies are perfectly designed for the game and are iconic in their presentation. They are also well balanced and utilize the core combat of the game flawlessly, making you use the full set of your abilities and moveset. NG enemies have good AI but it also has a ton of shit enemies too (like Ghost Fish).

Yeah Shadows are what push it over the edge for me.

I actually can't stand Devil May Cry combos. I like the stuff where guys beat bosses without touching the ground or with Royal Guard only more.

I think God hand is a lot better than DMC in general, it's about tied with Ninja Gaiden to me. DMC is one of those games where you have to make the game harder on yourself to be fun, and I got bored after beating them on DMD mode pretty quickly. Master Ninja was always much more difficult.

I actually thought Bayonetta kinda sucked other than the environments.

Dahbomb

That's pretty much exactly what I feel about Godhand... that you have to make it harder for yourself to enjoy it.

I steamrolled through Godhand Hard mode using various moves over and over again. It got unfun and I mixed it up for a challenge. Some moves are way too imbalanced in that game.

DMC1 and DMC3 are exceptionally hard if you try to perfectly S rank them on DMD mode (DMC1 has S rank with Special Bonus and DMC3 has SS rank). DMC4 not so much, it's a cake walk pretty much all the way. I would still rate NG games over DMC in terms of difficulty but difficulty doesn't always equate to quality.

jobber

Would let Tony Parker sleep with his wife
Is there anyway to trade cards from H&H mode? I have 9/9 for 90% of the cards -_-

I SS ranked every level in DMD on DMC3 within two weeks of release, but Ninja Gaiden Black took me forever to beat on Master Ninja.

I like God Hand because custom combos make the engine more fun for its own sake. I never saw the point in combos in DMC. Of course I didn't know or care about combo videos or internet people breaking tech down back then(and still don't as far as action games go). I just liked fighting against clever AI, which I found really lacking in DMC games other than 1 and two bosses in 3(A&R, final Vergil). I stopped caring about action games once fighting games took over the "clever opponent" thing, and they actually gave me a reason to care about engines and combos.

DMC3 I basically beat by chaining Stingers together over and over by swapping stances.

Dahbomb

Again, I feel the opposite with Godhand and DMC.

Godhand didn't reward you for mixing up your combo load outs... it rewarded you for coming up with the most effective combo strings and set of moves for either uninterrupted damage output or crowd control. With DMC3 you are rewarded for A) having the proper set up for the proper fight and B) variating combos. If you don't variate your combos... your style rank stagnates. That's the whole point of DMC over the other action games... keeping the style meter at SSS all the time otherwise you aren't playing DMC.

You feel like a fucking boss when you cleared an entire area without ever having the style meter drop below SSS.. and that's a major feat to accomplish in the game. That's why people develop tech to come up with uninterrupted combo sequences and a lot of those are 1 frame links. Beating the game is never enough with DMC... it's beating it with style that keeps people playing. Then the depth comes from mastering tech on all possible weapon + style set ups... which is humanly possible but not mastered by any one player to my knowledge.

One of the reasons why I enjoy DMC3 over let's say Godhand/NG (and even other DMC games)... there aren't useless moves and weapons in the game. Every move or weapon has a set usage or situation where it would be beneficial to use over another move especially due to the style ranking which makes you utilize the maximum number of moves possible in your arsenal at once.

enzo_gt

tagged by Blackace
so how about that Ultimate Marvel vs Capcom 3 huh guys
Been devoting too much time to my side chick RDR and my IRL chick ATM. Oh and I'm also sitting on the Assassin's Creed Triple Pack, of which I have to start ACII sometime soon.

I'll be back soon to you, UMvC3 baby.

JeTmAn81

Just out of curiosity, are there any plans for this thread to move to Community? I thought they usually moved after a month, but we seem to have staying power.

Just out of curiosity, are there any plans for this thread to move to Community? I thought they usually moved after a month, but we seem to have staying power.

The mods love this thread to much to send it to the ghetto, even though that's usually what they do with multiplayer-focused games

I thought that maybe it was consolation for half the thread regulars being banned a few days before the game was released, but even then it seems quite long compared to other games like Gears of War 3.

Xevren

I'm sure it'll go at some point. I'll never understand the hate for community, I always just subscribed to threads I go to the most anyway and look on my sub list before looking at other stuff.

enzo_gt

tagged by Blackace
There's always been inconsistency. Minecraft, one of the most community-oriented games this gen which took off because of it's multiplayer gets to stay in gaming forever because the mods love it.

Sixfortyfive

He who pursues two rabbits gets two rabbits.
I'll never understand the hate for community
One of the biggest appeals that GAF has for me over other gaming forums I've frequented in the past is that everything gaming related is in the same subforum and the default thread-count and post-count is rather high per page, which saves me some extra clicking/searching and keeps my open tab count lower. Community fucks with that and the justifications for moving threads there have always seemed bizarrely arbitrary.

V_Arnold

Yeah Shadows are what push it over the edge for me.

I actually can't stand Devil May Cry combos. I like the stuff where guys beat bosses without touching the ground or with Royal Guard only more.

I think God hand is a lot better than DMC in general, it's about tied with Ninja Gaiden to me. DMC is one of those games where you have to make the game harder on yourself to be fun, and I got bored after beating them on DMD mode pretty quickly. Master Ninja was always much more difficult.

I actually thought Bayonetta kinda sucked other than the environments.

Your opinion is ...weird, I dunno :p

I am biased, obviously, as I am JUST replaying Bayonetta AGAIN - it is still amazing.
And any DMC(except for 2) > NG2.

CPS2

What changes did they make to MODOK? If he's about the same as in vanilla or better i might give him a go. Are the cubes the same?

Sixfortyfive

He who pursues two rabbits gets two rabbits.
Anyone on the 360 Heralds side (all two of you) want to get something going on H&H tonight? I'll be around in about an hour or so and probably available for the rest of the evening.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom