• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Ultimate Marvel vs. Capcom 3 |OT| of 9 Years Urley

Status
Not open for further replies.

Burning Water

Neo Member
Is shadow blade an assist? That might be an okay GTFO move. That or the meter building one. You can just build meter while zoning with Ghost Rider.

Also, is morrigan the new in thing now? Just curious, been in and out of the loop for a while now.

Shadow Blade's an assist, and yeah, Ghost Rider can easily build meter own his own. I think between Heartless Spire and Shadow Blade assist, Ghost Rider should be able to get most of everybody off him.

As for Morrigan, people are noticing her more these days, though you're more likely to see a lot of Soul Fist spam. Dahbomb posted a vid of Dacidbro using Morrigan pretty good.

i don't like putting those two on a team, it seems like a copout when there is so much theorycrafting and hidden synergy in this game

You said it yourself, Ghost Rider blows and the teams you can make with him are extremely limited. Beggars can't be choosers.

Morrigan definitely is an awful idea. GR doesn't just need a GTFO assist, he gets zoned out easily by many zoners. And Jam Session isn't going to help you against them.

Burning Water

Neo Member
Yep. Gives you a high-low game in spots where there usually wouldn't be one. Also, command grab traps. Also push-block traps. Also, Maximum Wesker into Bionic Maneuvers is the most satisfying thing to be able to do consistently. I don't even need the corner.

Wesker/Spencer was good in Vanilla. They're just obnoxious now. On top of that, you got Taskmaster in the back. Yeah, enjoy your free wins.
jk =p

Yep. Gives you a high-low game in spots where there usually wouldn't be one. Also, command grab traps. Also push-block traps. Also, Maximum Wesker into Bionic Maneuvers is the most satisfying thing to be able to do consistently. I don't even need the corner.

I would agree with you if Phantom Dance into snap back wasn't even more satisfying. Feels like absolute dominance.

Wesker/Spencer was good in Vanilla. They're just obnoxious now. On top of that, you got Taskmaster in the back. Yeah, enjoy your free wins.
jk =p

No wins are free. I have learned this the hard way.

Like, holy fuck, everyone online in this country will not stop pushing buttons. Can't punish a damn thing

I would agree with you if Phantom Dance into snap back wasn't even more satisfying. Feels like absolute dominance.
THAT'S AN ACTUAL THING??

Goddammit. Wesker, why you so Godlike?

A Pretty Panda

fuckin' called it, man
Oh yeah. I did a snap back against a random Phantom Dance yesterday and that shit worked. I'm sure it's not the smartest course of action vs. random Phantom Dance (I didn't even mean to do it, I was just mashing Hulk assist) but it looked funny as hell. Like swatting a fly out of the air.

Oh yeah. I did a snap back against a random Phantom Dance yesterday and that shit worked. I'm sure it's not the smartest course of action vs. random Phantom Dance (I didn't even mean to do it, I was just mashing Hulk assist) but it looked funny as hell. Like swatting a fly out of the air.

Not versus.

You can combo a snap back AFTER the Dance. Probably Wesker's strongest way to get glasses off, because the only weakness before was that he was giving up his mixup. Now he gets his strongest mixup off of it.

I wonder if you can just mash jab vs Phantom Dance. I bet Magneto could. There's so much stuff I want to test. Damn hand >:-(

It'd be 50/50 that the jab would hit. I'm fairly sure the Hitbox and Hurtbox on Phantom Dance would be exactly the same. So it'd most likely trade with Mags having the advantage or the dance would randomly cross up because, lol Wes Carr.

Dahbomb

The BGM for Moonlight Wilderness in Tekken 5 is a fucking classic. Shoutouts to Kadey for using that in the grudge match for the added epicness.

Rider gains nothing from Morrigan. He is already one of the best meter builders in the game, has one of the best GTFO me moves in the game and he has solid enough horizontal coverage himself. None of Morrigan's assist give him something that he needs. Rider just needs lock down assists, Hidden Missiles are godly for him because it hits spaces that Rider can't hit himself.

I'm trying to come up with the best possible Multiple Man deck for every character in the game. I really like playing characters solo so I can learn them. While the decks obviously change some things, general skill and knowledge with the H&H character carry over. It's especially nice for learning an anchor characters.

Some of my decks:

Sentinel:
Fou-lu (Main)
Multiple Man
Megaman X

Megaman X lets Sentinel apply really strong pressure and perform quick cross-up j.S during flight. Fou-lu gives him 3 X-Factors so that any Hyper Sentinel Force or Hard Drive catch is a dead character. I also thought about Ultron for faster flight movement or one of the special-cancel moves to let Sentinel Force -> Flight happen, but I don't think either of these would be quite as helpful as the two cards I picked out.

Dr. Strange:
Lilith (Main)
Multiple Man
Kingpin

Lilith + Kingpin lets Dr. Strange take 80-90% of an opponent's bar with every Spell of Vishanti, allowing him to always have the threat available. This is also a good counter to Fin Fang Foom decks. Spell of Vishanti hits for about 450K with this setup. Assists will take about 800K, and you will steal 3-4 bars if you happen to hit an assist and a point character together.

Dante:
Mephisto (Main)
Multiple Man
Serpent/Daredevil

Dante is already one of the safest characters in the game, but the ability to cancel specials into each other gives him really nice solo setups, including aerial cross-ups. Havoc Missiles into Air Trick now works anywhere. The consistent meter gain allows for an endless offense as well as the ability to retain meter gain during Devil Trigger, which gives Dante an invincible approach option from which he can cancel into Hammer.

Firebrand:
Ultron (Main)
Multiple Man
Fin Fang Foom

Pretty much nothing in this game beats a super armored Bon Voyage. You're not going to get much use out of Firebrand's level 3 thanks to Ultron burning up meter, and X-Factor provides about the same bonuses as Luminous Body. So, you're basically trading Dark Fire for permanent X-Factor, and I think it's a good trade. Firebrand needs to go for a reset after Dark Fire anyway since his damage is so low. Sometimes you'll only start the match with 2 bars and will have to work up to 3 for the X-Factor, but it's generally not a problem since your offense is nigh unstoppable.

Super-Skrull:
Fin Fang Foom (Main)
Multiple Man
Ryu

Meteor Smash is -21 on block. Elastic Slam has 21 frames of startup. See what's coming? Smash all over the screen with infinite X-Factors thanks to FFF, XFC the recovery, and tick throw your opponent. It's pretty much unstoppable once the Meteor Smash is blocked. If Meteor Smash hits, XFC it anyway into a launcher, and get a full combo on your opponent for huge damage. Skrull has infinites in X-Factor, so you don't really have need for Inferno - especially since he no longer has the best line in the game during it. Ryu provides a huge damage boost to make downing your opponent even easier.

Dormammu
Mephisto (Main)
Multiple Man
Kingpin

I'm not confident that this is Dormammu's best combination. Basically, Mephisto provides excess meter, and Kingpin boosts the damage on semi-random Chaotic Flames and Stalking Flares. Dormammu can link Chaotic Flames via Purification on any assist he touches, so that option is pretty much locked off. I've also considered a Godot setup for him for countering FFF decks, but that would mean having to burn 2-4 bars of meter at the start of every match to get down to 0 meter, and that might be difficult against some of the more aggressive teams.

It'd be cool if decks were limited by points instead of a static 3 cards. Say you could have 10 points worth, S ranks were worth 5, A were 4, B were 3 and C 2. A lot of the lower cards don't get used.

edit: ABCS, jMMHS, low shot xfactor lvl1 Lost in Nightmares REALLY shouldn't be able to do over 1.1 million damage. So awesome.

mr. puppy

Banned
You said it yourself, Ghost Rider blows and the teams you can make with him are extremely limited. Beggars can't be choosers.

Morrigan definitely is an awful idea. GR doesn't just need a GTFO assist, he gets zoned out easily by many zoners. And Jam Session isn't going to help you against them.

eh i just wanted another character that had some kinda demon thing going on, i just pulled it out of my ass

Dahbomb

eh i just wanted another character that had some kinda demon thing going on, i just pulled it out of my ass
Vergil? Dormammu? Firebrand? Trish? Shuma? Hsien Ko?

Say you could have 10 points worth, S ranks were worth 5, A were 4, B were 3 and C 2.
Some of the best cards aren't even S rank. Fou-Lo is one of the best yet it's A tier. Serpent if you can't see the opponent's deck is garbage for S rank.

I do see merit/potential in this set up though... but as always broken/more powerful set ups will be figured out in it as well.

Ok, I finally got over the PW nerf, got my brother away from the 360, and resisted my urges to keep playing Zelda.

I'm probably pretty rusty right now and need someone to spar with for a while. Any volunteers?

LakeEarth

I'm trying to come up with the best possible Multiple Man deck for every character in the game...
What do you think for Doom? If both assists are hidden missles, you can rotate between the two much faster. Add a speed up assist card and a meter building card, you could hidden missles + finger lasers all fricken day. But that'd be kinda boring.

EDIT - oh wait, I know multiple man has limitations. Can you still use assists?

hey look it's ammy

pp0EO.gif

zlatko

Banned
If it works, it works.

It totally does. Wesker is mad easy on anchor to get a come back with. Teleport-do a combo string-if it connects they die, if not you are safe and can teleport again for a new mix up.

Shit is maaaaaaad easy to do, and he really does fit ANY team. His OTG gun assist is great, his maximum wesker hyper connects with just about anything if DHCed into, and everything about him from health to damage to speed etc is top notch.

Encompass that with the fact he is super easy to play execution wise, and wha la, you should see more success with winning if you put in some time with him to learn his BnBs, etc.

God's Beard just salty his most loved character is derp easy to use. Oh wells. So is Nova for the most part(aside from flight combos), and I'm totally okay with using him. Just do what's fun.

Grecco

It totally does. Wesker is mad easy on anchor to get a come back with. Teleport-do a combo string-if it connects they die, if not you are safe and can teleport again for a new mix up.

Shit is maaaaaaad easy to do, and he really does fit ANY team. His OTG gun assist is great, his maximum wesker hyper connects with just about anything if DHCed into, and everything about him from health to damage to speed etc is top notch.

Encompass that with the fact he is super easy to play execution wise, and wha la, you should see more success with winning if you put in some time with him to learn his BnBs, etc.

God's Beard just salty his most loved character is derp easy to use. Oh wells. So is Nova for the most part(aside from flight combos), and I'm totally okay with using him. Just do what's fun.

I dont think Wesker is "that" easy. But yeah i agree with you.

Just because he knows where the uppercut button is doesn't make Timedog as good as Alex Valle. There's gonna be a lot of salty Wesker anchors in the coming months. He's not that hard to beat on his own.

A Pretty Panda

fuckin' called it, man
Ok, you can't jab Wesker out of Phantom Dance.

HOWEVER, snap back seems to work on reaction every time. One more to the pile of anti-shit-wesker strats.

Even if the Wesker does it stupid and point blank?

I don't think it's a good strategy though. If the Wesker is on point you keep away a glasses-less Wesker and open your self up to the possibility of X-factor level 2 Wesker. And you lose a bar. It still does look funny to swat him away with Thor's hammer though.

El Sloth

Banned
hey guys any anti-arthur strats
Rush him down and don't give him a chance to breathe.

Do not let him get to level 3 X-Factor. Snap him in before then or you will get chipped to death by King Armor XFL 3 Arthur. If he does make it to that state absolutely do not get hit by the lance.

Even if the Wesker does it stupid and point blank?

I don't think it's a good strategy though. If the Wesker is on point you keep away a glasses-less Wesker and open your self up to the possibility of X-factor level 2 Wesker. And you lose a bar. It still does look funny to swat him away with Thor's hammer though.

If he tags out the glasses come back. When he comes back in, it's on your terms. Snap backs are two frames and Phantom Dance is +1, so unless he dashes in your face and does it, it will always hit.

Interesting GB - will it hit if Wesker starts from full screen, or in the air? It's a good piece of tech.

I fought a Wesker a week ago who kept trying to random me out with Phantom Dance, and I just dive kicked him each time with Firebrand - lolz.

Ok, doesn't work at max distance, seems most reliable around 1/3-2/3 max distance, will trade or lose outside of that range. I only tested with Magneto and Hawkeye, though, I'm sure snapbacks with more active frames would work better.

I didn't know some were unsafe, I only checked a few before. Storm's is +5 on block and has 5 active frames? That's crazy. WTF Tron has 30 active frames. Aww Wesker's is unsafe, mid tier confirmed. I guess with Wesker I'll have to command grab against guard cancels, and I'll have to DP with the Captain.

edit: whoa, chun has a 1 frame snap with 4 active frames. That's pretty damn cool. Wait, Hulk's is 1 frame?

edit 2: from the air it's hitbox dependent. magneto's hits, but hawkeye's won't.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom