• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Ultimate Marvel vs. Capcom 3 |OT| of 9 Years Urley

Status
Not open for further replies.
It's possible they'll squeeze out one more with a small amount of characters (maybe 4 like AE), but I don't think they should. It goes against the Capcom way. If something doesn't sell very well, they don't want to learn from their mistakes. They'll just say, "Our customers don't want it" and stop releasing them. *cough*SengokuBasara*cough* -_-

SSF4 didn't do great on launch but it turned out to be a pretty high seller in the long run. I'd suspect Capcom's seeing UMvC3 as a similar long run investment rather than a huge day 1 deal, especially with the PSVita still to release in the US alongside being a game consistently in the public eye due to tournaments. Plus, there are other platforms the game hasn't hit yet that could be worth a shot (Especially since SSF4AE did seriously good numbers on PC digitally).

enzo_gt

tagged by Blackace
SSF4 didn't do great on launch but it turned out to be a pretty high seller in the long run. I'd suspect Capcom's seeing UMvC3 as a similar long run investment rather than a huge day 1 deal, especially with the PSVita still to release in the US alongside being a game consistently in the public eye due to tournaments. Plus, there are other platforms the game hasn't hit yet that could be worth a shot (Especially since SSF4AE did seriously good numbers on PC digitally).
I expect UMvC3 to do incredible on Vita.. provided Vita solves all it's sales issues soon. It's huge for them to be a launch title in every region, and almost always provides for great sales in the long run. It will help Capcom toot their own horn with PR regarding UMvC3 later on.

How long did AE come out after Super, BTW?

Tournament schedule had Marvel at 7:00 pm. He does not remember anyone telling him that it was moved to earlier.
They changed it on the fly, didn't they?

Anyways, Apex was a clusterfuck of a tournament for anything actually Road to Evo related. I'm sure Smash lovers had a blast though. Every console had auto-super jump on, no DLC characters, etc. It was a perfect storm of bad really.

Tobe

I expect UMvC3 to do incredible on Vita.. provided Vita solves all it's sales issues soon. It's huge for them to be a launch title in every region, and almost always provides for great sales in the long run. It will help Capcom toot their own horn with PR regarding UMvC3 later on.

a year? maybe 9~11 months

LakeEarth

Seth Killian didnt want to outright say it but hes been pretty blatant in suggesting the reason why UMVC was "rushed" was because of Marvel and Marvel games released and what not. It sure sounded to me like a contract thing which is why i doubt we see another Marvel any time soon.
It makes sense.

Sixfortyfive

He who pursues two rabbits gets two rabbits.
Every console had auto-super jump on
I saw this coming the moment I realized that that was the default setting. I always, always check for this when I sit down for a match at a UMvC3 tournament. Smart dev decisions.

Personally, I'm the type to hold "no DLC characters available on tournament setups" against Capcom just as much as the tournament organizer, too.

Sorry for the stupid question, as I am new to this franchise, but what does the levels mean when fighting on the bottom of the screen, how do I gain levels?

Sixfortyfive

He who pursues two rabbits gets two rabbits.
Sorry for the stupid question, as I am new to this franchise, but what does the levels mean when fighting on the bottom of the screen, how do I gain levels?
Hyper meter. The fastest way to gain meter is to attack the opponent, and it's used for hyper combos, DHCs, team hypers, crossover counters, and snap backs.

I recommend picking up the Bradygames UMvC3 guide if you get a chance.

Razor210

Not entirely sure about Dormammu(I think he's definitely top 10, but not S tier), but with Viper... several reasons why she's one of the best, if not the best character in the game. EX Seismo and FADC EX Seismo are both the most bullshit thing in the game, as well as the most 'anti-bullshit' thing in the game. EX Seismo eats everything in this game clean. Invincibility out the ass, leads to a full combo(that is a ToD in Viper's case), is safe on block and whiff... With Focus Attack she has full hyper armor that she can dash cancel into said bullshit move, meaning the Viper player can and will blow through 99% of everything in this game. Outside that, she does crazy damage, controls the entire ground space with Seismo Spam + Optic Blast, is incredibly + on block whenever she feels like it, she has a tridash for those crazy high/low mixups... She's just really, really solid overall. She's just difficult to use in the neutral game. Her combos are pretty easy, though.
While FADC EX Seismo is really good, it only works if the other person is pressing a button. Otherwise, you lose a bar for nothing. And Viper's damage isn't that spectacular anymore - back in Vanilla, it was crazy, but now, not so much. Still really good, I agree. I think she has some issues establishing a rushdown presence, and once she has no meter, there's no instant get-out-of-jail-free card.

Grecco

They changed it on the fly, didn't they?

Anyways, Apex was a clusterfuck of a tournament for anything actually Road to Evo related. I'm sure Smash lovers had a blast though. Every console had auto-super jump on, no DLC characters, etc. It was a perfect storm of bad really.

Funny enough i expect it to flop on vita.

Kimosabae

Banned
While FADC EX Seismo is really good, it only works if the other person is pressing a button. Otherwise, you lose a bar for nothing. And Viper's damage isn't that spectacular anymore - back in Vanilla, it was crazy, but now, not so much. Still really good, I agree. I think she has some issues establishing a rushdown presence, and once she has no meter, there's no instant get-out-of-jail-free card.

Viper's new standard BnB does almost 800k with no Assists and 1 meter. What are you talking about?

Frantic

Just because you don't land a combo, doesn't mean it's a waste. Generally speaking, Vipers use EX Seismo when they're being rushed down. Even if the other person blocks it, it resets the situation by giving Viper breathing space and advantage on block while also allowing her to go on the offensive. It's not like most reversals that you can bait and punish. EX Seismo is simply unpunishable while resetting everything in Viper's favor. The only time it's really a waste is if you do it full screen or something silly. That's how I see it, anyways.

Also, Viper's damage is the same in this game as it was in Vanilla. Just watch the very first combo. Almost 900k with one bar and one assist.

Razor210

Viper's new standard BnB does almost 800k with no Assists and 1 meter. What are you talking about?
I'm not saying she doesn't have good damage output...I'm saying that she's not alone in that regard. Back in Vanilla, her damage output was head and shoulders above other characters.

Same. Can't imagine what kind of market there is for console-to-handheld fighting game ports.
It didn't even chart in the mediacreate for Japan. Shoot, even extend managed to chart. If it can't chart there it won't do anything at all in the US where the playstation handhelds have trouble moving hardware and software.

The Vita version should have been a DRM free $40 PC version with a 25% price cut during Steam holiday sales. Would've sold more than it did on the PS3.

enzo_gt

tagged by Blackace
It didn't even chart in the mediacreate for Japan. Shoot, even extend managed to chart. If it can't chart there it won't do anything at all in the US where the playstation handhelds have trouble moving hardware and software.

The Vita version should have been a DRM free $40 PC version with a 25% price cut during Steam holiday sales. Would've sold more than it did on the PS3.
Wait wait wait, how does Marvel not selling in Japan correlate to Marvel not selling in other regions? We all know how shit every Marvel game has done in Japan, and Vita version not charting falls in line with expectations anyways. I'd wait on Vita's performance in US/EU before I start assuming if hardware/software will have difficulty moving. "Playstation handhelds" is only the PSP line, it's not like you have an extensive history like Nintendo which you can draw assumptions from. You can't in this case with the Vita.

That said, I do agree UMvC3's success on Vita will be directly correlated to how the Vita does itself, but I thought that went without saying.

sugar-cookie.gif

He also has a combo with akuma starting with no meter to kill thor. (with 2 assists of course)

Oldschoolgamer

The physical form of blasphemy
That Akuma video is so stylish. o_o

I just tried JoJo's Bizarre Adventure for like the third time ever. I take it Dante's Stinger is a reference to JoJo's version?

I'm not saying she doesn't have good damage output...I'm saying that she's not alone in that regard. Back in Vanilla, her damage output was head and shoulders above other characters.

I actually think she's stronger now because DHC glitch gave every other character retarded damage. Major reason why I think Magneto/Doom/Phoenix would have been the strongest team in Vanilla.

I actually did a storm combo at the end of the set, yay.

also, you still need to use that x-factor and meter. :p

been practicing her fly combos, will probably try them the next time I can online. it's so weird doing combos without lag, I can do it 9/10 times, but I set it to 4 bars, I get like a 50% success rate, lol.

I still got those bad Dark Phoenix habits :-(

Not gonna lie, that cross over was the craziest shit.

That Akuma video is so stylish. o_o

I just tried JoJo's Bizarre Adventure for like the third time ever. I take it Dante's move is a reference to JoJo's version?

What move?

Wait wait wait, how does Marvel not selling in Japan correlate to Marvel not selling in other regions? We all know how shit every Marvel game has done in Japan, and Vita version not charting falls in line with expectations anyways. I'd wait on Vita's performance in US/EU before I start assuming if hardware/software will have difficulty moving. "Playstation handhelds" is only the PSP line, it's not like you have an extensive history like Nintendo which you can draw assumptions from. You can't in this case with the Vita.

That said, I do agree UMvC3's success on Vita will be directly correlated to how the Vita does itself, but I thought that went without saying.
You are right. I just read this now that you quoted it and it doesn't make a lick of sense. Still, not charting is pretty damned terrible even for Mahvel. I mean... damn.

Melee finals kinda fried my brain and I've been surfing the net like a zombie. Seriously... those finals were a weird experience. Vita will probably tank in the US though since no one will give a fuck about an expensive handheld and Western third parties won't support the system properly. I don't expect UMvC3 to sell much considering that it is mashed between other fighting games like Extend, SCV, SFxTekken and probably Skullgirls. None of them needs a shiny new PS Vita to play them which also works against UMVC3:Vita edition.

Hokuto no Ken has the best Super flash of any game. BAH BAH BAH dah nah nananaaaah

Oops, thought I typed it. Yay lack of sleep. Stinger.

Stinger from Jojo's? I don't get it. Who had stinger in jojo's?

Seth Killian didnt want to outright say it but hes been pretty blatant in suggesting the reason why UMVC was "rushed" was because of Marvel and Marvel games released and what not. It sure sounded to me like a contract thing which is why i doubt we see another Marvel any time soon.

Id sure as heck would love another version because the roster still sucks. (Gambit plz) and things like hit boxes/replays that are in SSF4 and in the freaking Vita version need to be on the PS3/360 SKU. ITs insane to me that the VIta version has replays and the console version will not.

Actually, I'm pretty sure he did outright say it. "Speaking frankly", and all. Basically Marvel didn't give them any other time frame where they wouldn't cannibalize their own games. Could you imagine Ultimate and Cross Tekken coming out within a week of each other? Or Ultimate alongside Dragon's Dogma? Wasn't even an option. Better to sacrifice the expansion pack than a new IP, even if it means basically no chance for more. I bet they were riding on the Vita, which is turning out to be a slow boil.

The chick with the red hood right? Aside from Dio and Jotaro, she's my fav character. I wish Modok actually played like her, instead of whatever weirdness his play-style is now.

Man if there was a good character with Mariah's playstyle... I could teach you how to play her and Dio.

Can someone explain to me why Dante is exempt from hitstun decay? He's literally the reason why I'm so frustrated with this game.

He's really not. He just has a lot of good properties on his moves. Enough people like to play him that he gets figured out faster.

My team is so weird. It's like I have a team and an assist instead of two points and an assist. Wesker and Spencer have too many tricks together, and they exchange so easily. Magneto just chills until he needs to clean up, lol.

My team is so weird. It's like I have a team and an assist instead of two points and an assist. Wesker and Spencer have too many tricks together, and they exchange so easily. Magneto just chills until he needs to clean up, lol.
One of the best guys in our area runs Weskah, DoaMAMMUUUU and Magnus. Team is utterly nuts. Anyone on the team can kill at any point in the game. Sounds like your team too, but Spencer is a much better killer than Dormammu. I really dig Wesker X Mags, but I can't play Mags to save my life. So I use Taskmaster :p

Oh and people are underestimating Magnus. He still has ROM combos, even with the air-dash nerf. And other stuff thanks to REPULSION and the like. I feel like everyone's just forgotten he exists.

ROM combos? His best BnB in vanilla, the Alioune loop, works exactly the same as vanilla and still does 650k meterless with no assists.

Justin Wong was right about character loyalty, putting Magneto on anchor is way more fun than Hawkeye. Man, I hate playing Hawkeye.

I dunno if Spencer is so much better than Dorm, both are awesome. I love Dormammu. More than Spencer, actually. Just don't really play in that style.

Man, if I didn't give an f about playstyle and just picked characters I liked I'd be using Shuma Gorath/Chris/Iron Man and hating every second lol.

sephi22

Is the Snapback to Unblockable setup the only reason Firebrand is so high or am I missing something? His X-factor infinites are good but too many characters have those.

One of the best guys in our area runs Weskah, DoaMAMMUUUU and Magnus. Team is utterly nuts.
Ah. My second team in Vanilla. More famously known as Team MastaCJ

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom