• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Ultimate Marvel vs. Capcom 3 |OT| of 9 Years Urley

Status
Not open for further replies.

Road

Is it true that KOF XIII sold better than UMvC3 in November?

If so and a bomba price drop is coming I might join you guys.
Does anyone even have any basis for that rumor?

I'd be very surprised if KOFXIII outsold UMVC3. It didn't even manage to sell better in Japan, let alone the US. The only place where it might have sold better is in Latin America and I still wouldn't bet anything over that.

enzo_gt

tagged by Blackace
HYPE FOR CURLEH MUSTACHE 2

Also, btw, there no official sales numbers for UMvC3 out there. Just under 100k, or under whatever was the lowest ranked on the NPD I believe.

KoF XIII selling more would be extremely surprising, and is highly improbable too.

Who says Vergil needs alot of meter to do damage?

1mil combo with strider assist starting with only 10% of a meter

These are old but still get me hype. Fuck people that think he's mid tier.

Vergil requires meter to be effective, it has nothing to do with overall damage output.

As dahbomb said, the damage values in those combo vids are inflated, and not actually indicative in most matches.

Some people consider Vergil mid tier not because of his lack of damage output. He's considered to be lacking especially when compared to some of the better characters because he requires meter to make his unsafe shit safe, and he requires meter to open people up. He doesn't have a dedicated special overhead. (his helmet breaker, unlike Dante's -is not- an overhead). He also lackes any sort of dash (be it tri, or box) and has terrible normals in regards to crossing up people. His primary method of cross up without meter or assist is the use of round trip. But considering it's what, 180 frames charge and 60 frames start up, it's hard to use it against players rushing you down.

So basically, he's mix up involves left and right mix-ups. But his teleport has about 40,452 frames of recovery, so unless you're playing in Narnia or some shit with terrible online lag or you have mental condition where you can't react to a butterfly floating at you, you're not going to get hit unless your opponent has clever assist usage.

So basically, Vergil doesn't require meter for damage, he requires meter for basically...Vergil to be anything somewhat at character design potential.

Even then, Vergil being mid-tier is pushing. I'd say he's lower A tier, (A - ) tier if will. Certainly not S tier like people though he'd end up being, aka Dante version 2.

Grecco

What essentially constitutes "mid" tier? Top 30 in this game? Ive seen people post Cap as "mid tier" and quite honestly id put him ahead of Vergil .

What essentially constitutes "mid" tier? Top 30 in this game? Ive seen people post Cap as "mid tier" and quite honestly id put him ahead of Vergil .

It all depends on how you divide it up basically. So it's really relative to position.

And Captain America is pretty good in this game. He certainly would give Vergil a run for his money. America's got high damage output, a ton of invincible hypers, an OTG, and good limbs (fast start up, good recovery, decent range). If you actually look at tournament effectiveness in competitive play, Vergil hasn't been doing any better than Captain American users. So I'd say they are pretty even at this point.

LakeEarth

WTF, the game won't let me play online.

That match was ended prematurely. Players who end matches improperly will be penalized.

But the OTHER GUY dropped, not me. It took me 15 minutes to get one fucking match going, he drops, and now it won't let me play again. How long do I have to wait?

Okay, it finally let me try again, took about 5 minutes. Still, I've been dropped on a dozen times, this is the first time the game got the wrong guy.

smurfx

get some go again
alright finally broke out of my ranked rut with a 14 game win streak. i had been losing to people that i know i can beat. looks like i'm beating them now like i should.

Kimosabae

Banned
Captain has Wesker-style Derpness going for him in this game, it's just no one plays him, so there's no clamor. In a game where damage is so high, having a character on your team that wouldn't let you drop a high damage combo or setup if you were a pterodactyl is a major plus.

smurfx

get some go again
Captain has Wesker-style Derpness going for him in this game, it's just no one plays him, so there's no clamor. In a game where damage is so high, having a character on your team that wouldn't let you drop a high damage combo or setup if you were a pterodactyl is a major plus.
i really want to add him to my team but i don't know where exactly he fits in. i think i rather learn him than hawkeye.

Kimosabae

Banned
Smurf: That's what alt teams are for! Building an alt team around a character is the best way to learn where to place them on your main team, imo, because it highlights their strengths and weaknesses.

What does this mean, the same combo does less in a "real match" than in practice mode or something?

I haven't seen the vid, but the combos may have been performed on low-health characters to give off the impression that they're damaging. Many people do this with their combo videos and it's fucking annoying.

smurfx

get some go again
Smurf: That's what alt teams are for! Building an alt team around a character is the best way to learn where to place them on your main team, imo, because it highlights their strengths and weaknesses.
hmm maybe cap/hawkeye/morrigan. that would make a pretty good team. keep morrigan feeding me meter and then use her as anchor and wombo combo people with x factor 3.

Dahbomb

Yay 2 exams down, 5 more to go.

Captain America over Vergil is LOL. Captain America is even more unsafe than Vergil. Vergil actually has a safe block string... Captain doesn't even have that. At least Vergil has safe specials and hypers to cancel into.

Counting numerous locals, monthlies and weeklies... Vergil has won WAY more tournaments than Captain America. Even at majors Vergil has had more representation than Captain.

Bum vs MastaCJ hype match at Curleh Mustache let's GO!

What essentially constitutes "mid" tier?
Characters who are solid fundamentally but still have some bad match ups and lack of tools (aka lack the cheap stuff). I would say that anyone in the top 20 is S to A and anyone below is Mid to Low.

What does this mean, the same combo does less in a "real match" than in practice mode or something?
LHK worded it incorrectly.

Damage is inflated because that combo on any character shorter/smaller than Nemesis would do less damage. The way Dimension Slash works is that it does more damage on bigger characters because it's hitting all over the screens (bigger hit box = get collided by more slashes). However... the entire combo right before the Dimension Slash is legit and solid. It IS indicative of damage that Vergil can dish out in a live match because good Vergil players ARE using it (like that Zeus guy at Frosty Fausting, was using the same combo essentially). So you can expect to lose normal health characters against Vergil if he's starting off a bar. That is about Iron Fist damage level. Solid and definitely damage that will win you matches/kill characters but not "OMG WHY IS MY CHARACTER DEAD WITHOUT ANY METER USED!" level.

PSN is still best network.

6Ph1G.png

Dahbomb

Hopefully this will put Bum on the map.

Those who play Bum say that he's a FT10 monster meaning he takes his time to download you then body you but does worse in a 2/3 format. Maybe he will take his chances in the VASTLY SUPERIOR 3/5 format at Curley Mustache.

Counting numerous locals, monthlies and weeklies... Vergil has won more tournaments than Captain America. Even at majors Vergil has had more representation than Captain.

I actually - as a person who tries to catch a lot of the tournament streams - haven't noticed Vergil having a lot of success at major tournaments. Granted, a win here at WNF, and a win there at some other locals), but I can't recall any Vergil player at a major event other than Yipes (and this was very early on at the first showmatches) having any kind of high placing success. Interestingly, and maybe more telling Yipes dropped Vergil for Hawkeye. Even Jago said he's more or less done trying to "get Vergil to work effectively" (in his words).

But I'd agree Vergil has more representation than Captain America, but that also has to do with people underappreciating Captain America's effectiveness.

smurfx

get some go again

Those who play Bum say that he's a FT10 monster meaning he takes his time to download you then body you but does worse in a 2/3 format. Maybe he will take his chances in the VASTLY SUPERIOR 3/5 format at Curley Mustache.
i really want to see him play chris g and marlinpie.

In most matches, Vergil isn't performing a hyper against gargantuan sized characters, i.e - Nemesis, Sentinel and company like. So, he's going to get fewer connects with his hyper - resulting in much less damage. So, those kind of combo videos doesn't really indicate Vergil's damage capability in most matches, unless everyone all of a sudden dropped Wesker for Nemesis.

A Pretty Panda

fuckin' called it, man

It won't matter if he goes 10-0 against CJ if he still refuses to attend tournaments

IntelliHeath

As in "Heathcliff"
Honestly, I remembered someone posted it in early thread that Noel Brown would quit umvc3 if masta cj won the tournament. I think he won the tournament recently.

A Pretty Panda

fuckin' called it, man
Why does he refuse?

I thought he was a well recognized pro Smash player, so it can't be tournament-fright.

He barely went to Smash tournaments either iirc. Though from the 2 that I do remember him going to he took out big names.

Maybe that's why he's going to Curly Mustache 2.

Why does he refuse?

I thought he was a well recognized pro Smash player, so it can't be tournament-fright.

Maybe it's all a *work. He refuses to go to tournaments, yet constantly bodies top players on stream. People keep clamoring for him, but he still refuses. Then one day, he gets an offer for someone to pay him to attend a tournament, and finally he accepts.

*From the world of pro wrestling, it means to fool someone into thinking that something is real when it's not.

enzo_gt

tagged by Blackace
Honestly, I remembered someone posted it in early thread that Noel Brown would quit umvc3 if masta cj won the tournament. I think he won the tournament recently.
MastaCJ beat him in winners finals, and in grand finals for the run back. Noel afterwards: "It was a joke I made." Stay free.

Dahbomb

Actually other than a few players at a few specific events (a lot of them interestingly enough have dropped Vergil - like Yipes - who instead uses Hawkeye now), I don't think that many Vergil players have gotten top 3 in much of anything. Maybe one at WNF, one at Frosty Faustings, a couple locals (what does this even mean? you can't quantify locals - WE have locals in my area, are you now including the 1st places I have received with my Vergil all of a sudden??), but nobody using Vergil has gotten top 3 in any sort of relatively major tournament. Though I'd agree Vergil does have slightly more representation than Captain America. But that more has to do with people not fully appreciating how capable Captain America is.
There has only been 2 majors to talk about in terms of tournament data (not a lot of info to go on). The rest are the tournaments right below it. It's not like you ignore those tournaments either. Frosty Faustings was a rather big tournament and it had 5 Vergils in top 8. 2 WNFs have been won by Vergil (Richard and Flocker). UCI Ranbats have also had Vergil winners. Same for every time Option Select streams their tournament and Flocker was there. Sam's Club/Arisu from Texas also won the main tournament in that region (was also at Frosty Fausting). Hell even Dacidbro won at TNT. If there are high level players in attendance and high level matches are being played... then the observations are valid. If you are consistently winning with Vergil at your local against high level tournament player then that is solid information and match experience. We are gauging character quality here and if your criteria for character quality is top 3 placement in majors then there really isn't much to discuss about. Because then I can say that Iron Fist is superior to both Zero and Viper.

Yipes said he is keeping Vergil in his recent interview
. Also just because people use/drop characters is not indicative of character quality. A handful of players use Viper with very little tournament wins and same for Zero... this does not take them out of S tier. Justin Wong dropped Wesker... oh well I guess he wasn't as good as we thought.

Kimosabae

Banned
I remember the first trip Thomas Tipman, my old Melee training partner, took out to NY - would not stop talking about Bum and his DK. Would. Not. Stop. Said he was the smartest player he'd ever seen, and typically bodied top level Melee players like PC Chris and the Deadly Alliance (Empire Smash offshoot) remnants.

That's when he started playing the character seriously, and became one of the best DKs, easily. Was fucking frustrating, because I was playing Falco/Falcon at the time, too.

Grecco

r. Justin Wong dropped Wesker... oh well I guess he wasn't as good as we thought.

Becuase hes said publically he does not want to play top tier characters not because he sucks.

Most players who were on the Vergil bandwagon did in fact drop him. If Richard Ngwin (Probably the biggest DMC fanbot pro player) ends up dropping Vergil then we will know theres something wrong.

GuardianE

Santa May Claus
If Mike Ross really does pick up Cap, it might inspire other people to pick up Cap.

Did Mike Ross say he was picking up Captain America? Because the guy is probably perfect for him.

Most players who were on the Vergil bandwagon did in fact drop him. If Richard Ngwin (Probably the biggest DMC fanbot pro player) ends up dropping Vergil then we will know theres something wrong.

Who's Dickwin rocking now?

Is Apex considered a "major" tournament for UMVC3?

Major or not, it was still a tournament that Noel Brown participated in.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom