• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Ultimate Marvel vs. Capcom 3 |OT| of 9 Years Urley

Status
Not open for further replies.
Just started listening to the Viscant podcast, gave the exact same advice I gave to Koryuken when he asked me about the best teams a couple days ago: play Wesker/Vergil/Hawkeye or Firebrand/Frank West/Dante ^_^

Validated!

Not to mention his salt over Spencer/Wesker teams lol

kirblar

you get all of that in the anchor position. Its really strange. He claims Wesker isnt as good on point anymore. Which i find bizarre. Wesker does stupid amounts of meterless damage and is still a fantastic battery. I guess i have to investigate these Zero meterless combos and try them out to compare but i still think Wesker is great on point or on anchor. With someone who needs meter seccond and a good assist third.

Listening to it hes 1000000000000000000000x correct when it comes to Dr Doom. The character is stupid.
What he's saying is that the nerfs didn't hit "herp derp" Level 3 Wesker, but they did hurt him in other ways- the nerf to his Counter Hyper being a prime example.

After just finishing my second trip to SoCal in the past 3 weeks to play some Tekken Tag 2 its time to put priority back to UMvC3. It's been a while since I've played, wonder how much worse I've gotten.

koryuken

Just started listening to the Viscant podcast, gave the exact same advice I gave to Koryuken when he asked me about the best teams a couple days ago: play Wesker/Vergil/Hawkeye or Firebrand/Frank West/Dante ^_^

Validated!

Not to mention his salt over Spencer/Wesker teams lol

Need to listen to his podcast... Is there a link on the previous pages? I will look for it (if not, could you please post the link).

For the rest of GAF: I sent PM's to both Dahbomb and God's_Beard looking for the absolute cheapest team to deal with in this game. IMHO (or maybe its a fact) 2 best teams in Vanilla were Wolverine, Wesker, Akuma and Wesker, Haggar, Phoenix. I am trying to find something similar in this game...

Its funny though God's_Beard, you and Dahbomb disagree on the best team. He thinks that 2 strong anchor chars w/ self OTG + Strider assist is the cheapest in this game. I can see why this is very strong and leads to easy knockdowns, but I see two problems... 1 this does not help either anchor to "get in", 2 Strider as anchor is good, but IMHO not great. Oraboros with XF3 will kill one character for sure, but it will end before the next character comes in (too brief).... XF3 strider with no Oraboros is not very scary IMHO. Just SJ and block until XF3 runs out. If he hits you, its OK damage, but not godlike damage.

My ranked win ratio is 75% an XBL right now, but I want to get it higher :) My team of Wesker, Vergil, Doom is good, but I have to be very on point. If Wesker dies, I am at a big disadvantage -- he is the star of my team. My strategy is to touch of death combo with Wesker using some Vergil DHC spiral swords tech that I have developed. I then play Vergil until he dies and activate XF2 with wesker during the opponents block string. However, if Wesker dies or cannot score clean hits, its gets very messy very fast.

Anyways...I am going to experiment with some teams that I think are super cheap. 1 team I found is Trish with Doom missiles. This team makes people ragequit lol...

I will go home and try to learn some Skrull. Skrull with Doom missiles on paper seems to be uber cheap. (while the missiles are coming your meteor smashes are all safe and you can time long range command throws before and after the missiles hit).

However, right now -- I think God's_Beard and Dahbomb can probably agree -- the cheapest team is probably Zero XXX Wesker. You have a TOD character that can kill most of your team on point and a XF3 Wesker for insurance. I will need to learn Zero first... but XXX can be a beam assist like Doom/Hawkeye, or a Trap assist like Trish...

Now that I think about it Zero,Hawkeye, Wesker would be extraordinarily cheap. You are almost guaranteed to kill two characters by the time Wesker with XF3 comes into play.

Thoughts guys?? :)

A Pretty Panda

fuckin' called it, man
For the rest of GAF: I sent PM's to both Dahbomb and God's_Beard looking for the absolute cheapest team to deal with in this game. IMHO (or maybe its a fact) 2 best teams in Vanilla were Wolverine, Wesker, Akuma and Wesker, Haggar, Phoenix. I am trying to find something similar in this game...

Haha that's what I did at the beginning of Vanilla. I looked for the cheapest team possible. I settled on Wolverine/Akuma/Sent (in that awful order) but once Sent got the health nerf I started to look for crappy characters I can make a team with. Hence Thor.

Grecco

I always thought Daigos Wolvie/Dante/Akuma team was top tier cheap in vanilla. Dont forget Zero/Tron/Pheonix that Flocker used.

I dont know if there was "the" cheapest team. Maybe. I dont know.

Cheapest team now? Too early to tell.

A Pretty Panda

fuckin' called it, man
I always thought Daigos Wolvie/Dante/Akuma team was top tier cheap in vanilla. Dont forget Zero/Tron/Pheonix that Flocker used.

I dont know if there was "the" cheapest team. Maybe. I dont know.

Cheapest team now? Too early to tell.

In Vanilla I thought it was more of a template than a specific cheap team. It's either Wolverine/Solid Character that works well with Akuma/Akuma or Jerk who can build meter/GTFO me assist/Phoenix.

Dahbomb and I disagree on a lot of things. That he thinks Strider assist makes the cheapest teams in the game only compounds his fraudulence. Probably got his theory fighting degree from one of them online colleges.

smurfx

get some go again
we should have a vote for our favorite theory craft professor! god's beard vs dahbomb! would be nice if god's beard could play dahbomb online and settle it man to man.

Frantic

I always felt Dante/Haggar/Phoenix was better/cheaper than Wesker/Haggar/Phoenix in vanilla. Sure, Dante doesn't have as much health as Wesker(which in vanilla didn't matter as much since the DHC glitch existed), but Dante could build two-three bars off a single Haggar hard knockdown while dishing out a ToD. It was also the only Phoenix team that could burn a lot of meter and not really get in trouble for it. Plus, Dante had the Hammer. Hammer + Haggar assist? GET BACK!

As for cheapest team in this game? No idea, but I personally think Dante/Strider is a really cheap pair. If my Zero becomes less fraudulent, I might rock Zero/Dante/Strider, which sounds like a really cheap team to me. :p

I'll play if you guys are still on in like 45.

we should have a vote for our favorite theory craft professor! god's beard vs dahbomb! would be nice if god's beard could play dahbomb online and settle it man to man.

I won both times we did this. Anyway, I'm just teasing, my boy Dahbomb just needs to step his theory game up is all. ^_^

Thing is, Strider assist will be a great assist as time goes on if you want to main more ground based characters due to the fact it makes the strategy of s.J and fishing with projectiles a little more difficult.

Solune

Thing is, Strider assist will be a great assist as time goes on if you want to main more ground based characters due to the fact it makes the strategy of s.J and fishing with projectiles a little more difficult.

You have no idea how salty Vajra assist makes me when I play against Cloudius. If you can block the Wesker mixup everytime, so help me god I would claim that person godlike. Any character that can OTG into a full combo goes perfectly well with Strider.

koryuken

Any more opinions on the "cheapest team"??

Going to listen to the podcast now, but I agree with Viscant (via notes from Dahbomb)... a great anchor is super important. Hawkeye and Doom are great characters and assists, but their anchor play is good -- not great. Its pretty hard to find the cheapest team in this game lol.
They did a better job balancing than it appears at the surface. I think although some characters appear to be super strong at face value (Wesker + Zero), the metagame is fairly balanced thus far...

Dahbomb

My configurations for "cheap" teams were strong on point character capable of self OTG/2nd character with safe DHC with a horizontal assist also self-OTG/Strider.

A team like Viper/Dante/Strider or Wesker/Doom/Strider is cheap. I probably need to pair Zero with Strider to see how his self-OTG works there.

On the issue of getting in... Wesker can get in with Doom assist. Dante doesn't need help getting in and Viper has Seismo spam.

Strider just with the Vajra assist doesn't just make cheap teams... Strider himself being a top anchor character who is made to be played at the back is what makes the team cheap. You have a top assist paired with a top anchor... it doesn't get better than this.

On the whole Zero + Wesker thing... aside from the OTG which benefits every character in the game there is hardly any real synergy between the 2 characters. It's essentially 2 godly point characters. I also don't know of a character you can put with these 2 and make a super cheap team. It's essentially the Wolverine + Wesker duo combo from Vanilla... hardly any synergy but works because they are both stupid good.

I don't know what the "cheapest" team is... you can't hold a gun to anyone's head right now and ask for a cheap team. I gave some configurations of what I felt was cheap. I also think something like Zero/Vergil/choice assist is super cheap as well along with just about any combination of team trenchcoats.

koryuken

On the whole Zero + Wesker thing... aside from the OTG which benefits every character in the game there is hardly any real synergy between the 2 characters. It's essentially 2 godly point characters. I also don't know of a character you can put with these 2 and make a super cheap team. It's essentially the Wolverine + Wesker duo combo from Vanilla... hardly any synergy but works because they are both stupid good.

I don't know what the "cheapest" team is... you can't hold a gun to anyone's head right now and ask for a cheap team. I gave some configurations of what I felt was cheap. I also think something like Zero/Vergil/choice assist is super cheap as well along with just about any combination of team trenchcoats.

I was suggesting Zero, Vergil, Wesker... Wesker is just there for XF3 anchor and OTG assist. He doesn't necessarily need anymore synergy than this. Zero does not need assists to get in... Zero combo (crazy meter build) + DHC into Vergil swords will kill Thor...

Problem is I need to learn how to play Zero lol. i have zero (no pun intended) experience with the character.

smurfx

get some go again
my zero may not be the best but its still good enough to kill an entire team with x factor 3. :D had such a great win right now. beat a magneto/akuma/wesker team with just zero. got happy birthday'd at the start and had task and haggar killed.

Zissou

That's one of the first things I was hoping people would start doing when I found out that his taunt got a hitbox now.

Deadpool's taunt has always had a hitbox. You just don't see too many people use it because the select button is difficult to hit on most arcade sticks.

Man, it feels good to get a 9 game winning streak. It stop feeling as great when you remember your opponent sucked...oh well, he always kicks my ass on Blazblue so that's my revenge on him.

Oh my God this video had better be a joke. I haven't seen it yet, but this better not be real.

:'(

Max died, Doom time travels somehow, and it ends on "to be continued"

I'm about to ruin your day

ASSIST ME IS OVER

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ItVOSZzbYQo

...if Deadpool kills you again can I keep your arcade stick?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom