• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Ultimate Marvel vs. Capcom 3 |OT| of 9 Years Urley

Status
Not open for further replies.

Oldschoolgamer

The physical form of blasphemy
GG Phoenix players. Yeesh.

It isnt about being "lazy". Its about being practical. You cant expect people to play a team just for one specific set up. Just not realistic.

People did all of the time in MvC2. The only thing I really see different is that they had to, instead of having the option not to in this. Thank goodness for options though.

Kimosabae

Banned
I need to hear Viscant's thoughts on this Phoenix tech. This is a big deal and it will spread as far as Phoenix usage does. It's not execution-heavy/impractical in the slightest. This is a general subsystem tactic, so it has potential implications beyond Phoenix, so there's even more reason for competitive players to learn it. This is troubling for her.

As for the competitive American culture: I don't think saying we don't abuse the best stuff is a sophisticated conclusion. Especially when you consider all the Phoenix's/Weskers/Akumas/Wolverines etc. from Vanilla. Obviously, there's a cultural gulf between Japan and America that reflects how we approach playing games and competition.

In relation to Japan, Americans have a strong sense of pride and individualism that can be interpreted many ways in the context of playing games competitively. This game is still brand new, far from settled, and there's a ton of variables to consider before coming to any hard decisions on what someone should be abusing.

Hell, Vanilla was far from settled, even.

mr. puppy

Banned
Rog using Dante/Spencer/Felicia right now. Btw. At least right now.

well thats just about the shittiest team composition/lineup i could possibly see, but he's PR Rog so who knows.

Is Viscant using Wesker/Doom/Strider still or has he finally caved and gone Zero/Doom/Phoenix?

Sixfortyfive

He who pursues two rabbits gets two rabbits.
well thats just about the shittiest team composition/lineup i could possibly see, but he's PR Rog so who knows.
All 3 are capable point characters. Dante and Spencer both benefit from a low assist; Felicia can be played at any position adequately. They seem to DHC well enough. Don't really see any big issues.

Oldschoolgamer

As long as Dante is alive it's okay. If he needs to burn a bar to DT, then a misplaced fireball is going to turn into Dante using Vortex on the character. If he dies early, then I can see it being an issue until Dark Felicia pops up. One thing I saw on his stream last night is that Spencer is free to diagonal zoning. He literally couldn't do anything thanks to Magnetic Blasts. I'd imagine something like jump diagonal soul fists to do the same.

Kimosabae

Banned
Spencer is NOT free to diagonal zoning, Magnetic Blast in particular. If Mags can get far enough away from Spencer, it's viable, but all Spencer has to do is read the sj and Mags gets tagged by AA Wire Grapple and loses his life. Not to mention both moves have the same level of durability.

Oldschoolgamer

I'm pretty sure I saw Rog doing the exact same thing, and his friend was still keeping his Spencer out. When he got touched, he died, but when he didn't Spencer did absolutely nothing but try and swing for his dear life.

Besides, if it was that predictable then jumping, then air dash down with m.blast does the same thing.

edit: If they have the same durability, then wouldn't that mean that if the two hit, they cancel each other out? If that's the case, Spencer still hasn't gained any ground whatsoever.

Kimosabae

Banned
It could be that Rog hasn't figured out/didn't focus on dealing with Mag Blast. It could be my Mags sucks. It could be my training partner is GDLK with Spencer. There's a host of variables, the point is - Spencer has answers. Spencer doesn't gain ground, but Mags is forced to go into Fly unless he wants to get mixed up trying to get to the ground safely, since Spencer has the opportunity to get beneath him after the clash (Assuming Mags was going airborne with his Magnetic Blast).

Oldschoolgamer

It could be that Rog hasn't figured out/didn't focus on dealing with Mag Blast. It could be my Mags sucks. It could be my training partner is GDLK with Spencer. There's a host of variables, the point is - Spencer has answers. Spencer doesn't gain ground, but Mags is forced to go into Fly unless he wants to get mixed up trying to get to the ground safely, since Spencer has the opportunity to get beneath him after the clash (Assuming Mags was going airborne with his Magnetic Blast).

All true points.

Still rocking Hsien-ko/Wright/dog? You are my hero

I wish I was worthy of being called a hero. :( I'm still pretty horrible, but I can definitely say I'll be loyal to these three for the remainder of Ultimate's life. Hopefully by participating in Toronto's tourney scene I can actually improve a little.

And to make my point, I paid for a commission that my friend did to help me stick with 'em if I ever want to stray. =D

http://dl.dropbox.com/u/50602479/Yuuki.jpg

D

Deleted member 13876

Unconfirmed Member
i hate the matchmaking in this game, in vanilla i played a wide range of ppl now i always get paired up with like the same 5 dudes....

Yeah it seems the range is much more limited this time around, even when using Ranked Any.

smurfx

get some go again
i hate the matchmaking in this game, in vanilla i played a wide range of ppl now i always get paired up with like the same 5 dudes....
don't become 4th ranked then because then you will be paired up with even less people. lol there is only 1 guy i know of right now that uses phoenix and so i'll probably use it against him. well that and you now too! :p

JeTmAn81

I just use Quick Match, and I don't have much trouble finding a decent variety of opponents. Granted, I'm 6th Lord so the range of people Quick Match will put me against is larger than if you're higher ranked. I'm on PSN.

Degen

ok, so... change of plans. I'll probably be out for most of the night. Pretty sure I won't be around for the whole battle royal thing.

to my loyal fans and apparently henchmen: I apologize and will be sure to blow you all up twice as hard in the future.

GGs to Beard and FullFlej just now, and Remember the Titans

edit: God damnit Beef upstaging me

smurfx

get some go again
kadey please let ultimoo take beef's place.

edit: look at degen jocking beef's style. well looks like both ultimoo and solune are in.

LakeEarth

Seriously, it's always the same people over and over.

You wanna know something stupid. If you pick your region as "any", you only get selected with other people who have selected "any". Which means I can never be paired up with someone from the states that always selects "same", even if the connection between us is wonderful.

Last night I was able to beat the game start to finish with ranked search on. Never got matched with anyone.

Solune

If the battle royale can be moved by an hour I can probably make it in time for the good 2 hours (PST here). If not, might be better to just go on or move it till another day but I am definitely hyped for some action.

A Pretty Panda

fuckin' called it, man
Ggs God's Beard and Degen!

There was a match where I hit an unblockable on God's Beard's anchor character and still wasn't able to close it out lol.

Only a couple people on right now so I'm gonna take a lunch break. GGs to Degen and flej, too bad Degen left before I stopped messing around with Phoenix Wright :-(

flej, you definitely gotta stick with Thor, I think that's your best character. I was having a lot less trouble with Iron Fist once I remembered to push block things lol

Anyway, Thor vs Magneto aerial battle was my highlight. I don't know what's up with Spencer's inputs dropping all the time, I wanna finish my combos!

Kadey

Mrs. Harvey
One look and we're worlds apart.

It's alright. Battle Royale will begin around 10 Eastern. I'll be preparing the stream earlier. We're a go.

Some things I should mentioned.

Order will be done the same way as 360 Live BR via random generator. Everybody send a FR if you aren't on mine yet and I'll friend you to make things easier. I'll be putting people into the lobby one by one in order. Once everybody is in, the first two people can turn on battle. 3rd person waits until the first two are getting it on and then turns on his battle, 4th person waits for 3rd person to do that and does his afterwards, etc, until everybody is in the correct order. But for this to work, you can't turn on watch for the first match. After that, do not turn off battle at any time.

Winning player can't use the same assist characters on next match, but he can return to using them again if he wins again while the ones he used for that next match cannot be used for the one afterwards, etc. May sound complicated but it's not.

If you get disconnected, you can still get back into the lobby. Just sign on and I'll get you back in before the next match begins. Thing is, you lose your current spot.

This will be 2 and a half hours, not 2.

Oh yeah. I'm a little drunk so I might need help keeping score.

smurfx

get some go again
i have finally fought somebody i've been wanting to fight since vanilla!!!!! finally got maximillian. :D not only that i beat him soundly thanks to a haggar happy birthday on his dante and strider. his doom didn't give me too much trouble so no doom comeback video for me! i hope that beating makes it to the online warrior. :p :Kapa

Ok, I'm back. I'll set up another lobby if you guys aren't already playing.

Team I'll be playing tonight for the tournament:

Phoenix Wright(paper)/Shuma Gorath(eyeballs)/Iron Man(Repulsar Blast)

when I win:

Phoenix Wright(paper)/Hsien Ko(shield)/Chun Li(fireball)

Time to close the book on fraudulence.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom