• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Ultimate Marvel vs. Capcom 3 |OT| of 9 Years Urley

Status
Not open for further replies.

A Pretty Panda

fuckin' called it, man
That Level 3 "reset" is extra dumb considering the context around it now. Watching it again, Wesker comes in, I get a hit with Thor. Simple Bnb into Mighty Tornado xfc Mighty Tornado. Wesker lives with a pixel left. Xfactor, Kills my team with the Level 3 "reset".

PJSalt

Dahbomb

You can't x-factor during hitstun...
No I mean after the counter window. I don't know... didn't really look at it that closely.

Dahbomb, could you post/link what you consider the most effective BnB for Vergil? I'm playing the game after a couple of weeks and trying to learn me some Vergil
Most effective BnB with Vergil is with an OTG assist as you can do it off of any main button of Vergil even from the air.

This combo of Vergil is now considered the standard with an OTG assist

BnB without using Spiral Swords

Solo BnB 750K. Strider assist at the end is optional. Can add more Spiral Swords in this combo to add more damage if meter permits.

As you can see... with just 10% of 1 bar and 1 OTG assist your damage with Vergil goes into 900K-1 million territory. With solo Vergil you tap out at 750Kish starting from 0 meter but the more meter you have the more damage you can tack on. Rough estimate you can add around 150K+ for each meter you have for Spiral Sword extension so starting with 2 bars you should be able to kill anyone in the game solo. In circumstances where you are starting off with a little more than 2 bars... it's almost always better to just go into Dark Angel finisher if you can build up to 4 bars. Plus it looks BOSS as fuck.

Kadey

Mrs. Harvey
Once again.

PSN Hyper Battle Royale
http://www.twitch.tv/kadeybaybe/b/305313449

Congrats to Jetman for once again letting me prove that my psychic power is strong.

Live Hyper Battle 2 Age will be later tonight. Probably around the same time as the PSN guys. PM me if you want in.

This will mainly be an exhibition. No prizes or anything.

Same rules as PSN HBR with some changes. It's becoming more finalized for me and will make any future HBRs much much easier to run.

1. Winners cannot use the same three characters in the next match. So that means you'll have to know at least six characters to have benefits.
  2. 3 hour time frame. 2 and a half hours goes by like nothing when fun is being had. So much easier to do now that I have a timer on the stream itself.
  3. Points system will be standard but I have added two more to the mix.
°3 characters alive= 4 points
°2 charracters alive= 2 points
°1 character alive= 1 point
° Landing a perfect= 7 points. Nearly impossible. Especially online. Causing chip damage is
much easier to do than other fighters so in Marvel so Perfects are much more dignified.
° Winning without using a X-Factor gives you an extra point. So add one extra point to however many characters you had left.
°Technically you could get 8 points at most if you did not use X-Factor and perfected an
opponent.

Dahbomb

WOW Vergil is one of the very few characters who has an answer to EX Seismo. :O

I used to think the match up was in Viper's favor. Reading the SRK thread and discussing Viper match up, someone brought up that Spiral Swords completely absorbs EX Seismo and when Vergil has those active Viper has to block it.

You learn something new everyday! Too bad I have been missing out on days with Marvel so my knowledge and info is behind. :(

A Pretty Panda

fuckin' called it, man
I like these new rules more. I'd rather pick my secondary team rather than trying to Frankenstein my main and secondary teams together.

Live free or die fraud.

Dahbomb

Man Omniscythe has a crazy rushdown style Morrigan. He goes the FUCK in! Just catching up on my Bum streams. His Vergil is damn solid too... definitely has the Round Trip resets down. He loves to get motivated and keep being motivated with the Harmonizer assist.

http://www.twitch.tv/bum1six3/b/304663289 - 53:50

http://www.twitch.tv/bum1six3/b/304666908 - 15:20

http://www.twitch.tv/bum1six3/b/304674686 - 00:00

If you guys want to see some non-lame Morrigan play.

LMAO SALTFORD @ 1:10:00 getting salty as fuck over Vergil. Hold dat shit son!

Kimosabae

Banned
It won't get patched. It's working the way X-Factor is intended to work, just in a circumstance probably not envisioned by the developers. The only way to "fix" this would be to tweak the subsystems involved - S Launcher properties (probably easiest), X-Factor or TAC system all together.

Just popping in to thanks to Kadey for the MvC3 Vanilla prizes. The placement tag looks really good. I haven't been on GAF in a week - too busy with school. I won't be checking for replies to this, but I hope you're all enjoying Marvel!

@Cloudius

You sir! How the hell were you able to pull off Magneto combos when playing against me? I think the worst connection you had was against me.
Cloudius is the master of underwater playing, and of being the reason you're both thoroughly underwater when playing.

D

Deleted member 13876

Unconfirmed Member
X23? Admitedly her OTG assist isnt "super awesome" but its workable.

I would kill for that assist to be on par with Wesker's. Haven't played her in a while though. Dorm/Task/Nova is clicking much more than my Task/X-23/Nova team.

smurfx

get some go again
god damn i'm trapped in srk limbo right now. i signed up but never got the email that comes after to finish your registration. all my attempts to get srk to resend the email always fail because i never seem to get the emails. i check my spam folder and its not there. now i forgot my damn password and i attempted to have them send me a password reset email and of course just like before i ain't getting the emails. i signed up with the same name and i'm not using anything else so i guess i'll just stay to this thread.

smurfx

get some go again
If you're trying to keep your name ubiquitous, can't you just add some numbers to the end of your name or something?
eww i hate that. i can sign up with my xbox live name but i don't feel like signing up with another email address. its too bad some douchebag already got smurfx on xbox live. btw the matchmaking thread on srk is depressing. its like nothing is happening in the LA area. not even smaller tournament scenes. i sure as hell ain't going all the way to super arcade. not on a wednesday with LA traffic.

LakeEarth

That Level 3 "reset" is extra dumb considering the context around it now. Watching it again, Wesker comes in, I get a hit with Thor. Simple Bnb into Mighty Tornado xfc Mighty Tornado. Wesker lives with a pixel left. Xfactor, Kills my team with the Level 3 "reset".

PJSalt

Happened to me last night, but it was due to a missed rocket by Nemesis' hyper. Annoying.

I was wondering where Karst was. I was thinking about playing Karst's setup because I'm always saying Firebrand/Dante/Frank is the best team, but that setup just leaves a bad taste in my mouth. It's like winning is a chore. Plus, I don't like Dead Rising.

No I mean after the counter window. I don't know... didn't really look at it that closely.

The whole point is that Phoenix guessed WRONG. Phoenix is always gonna mash side tag, so you do an up or down tag. Then they fail the counter, so you x-factor before it hits and do a side tag because they only get one counter chance.

smurfx

get some go again
The whole point is that Phoenix guessed WRONG. Phoenix is always gonna mash side tag, so you do an up or down tag. Then they fail the counter, so you x-factor before it hits and do a side tag because they only get one counter chance.
i remember fighting this one phoenix and being quite confident he wouldn't block the down exchange and i wanted to get as much meter as i could so i went the first time and it worked and then went again and this guy actually blocked low! i was like "you can't do that!".

kirblar

It won't get patched. It's working the way X-Factor is intended to work, just in a circumstance probably not envisioned by the developers. The only way to "fix" this would be to tweak the subsystems involved - S Launcher properties (probably easiest), X-Factor or TAC system all together.
You just have an X-Factor activation reset the TAC input "lockout" so that they can't "force" a TAC through. The issue here is simply the TAC and X-Factor mechanics having an unintended interaction.

LakeEarth

i remember fighting this one phoenix and being quite confident he wouldn't block the down exchange and i wanted to get as much meter as i could so i went the first time and it worked and then went again and this guy actually blocked low! i was like "you can't do that!".

Similarly, I've won against a Pheonix with a side exchange combo. What the hell dude, you had 5 meters, how were you not side mashing?

long time no see marvelgaf, i've been catching up on all of the crazy things that have been happening tech-wise, really strange stuff out there.

I've been working on Morrigan/Hawkeye/Doom for the last forever....I absolutely love that you can throw up a wall of projectiles and if you mess up your zoning in any way while spamming Doom, you have Hidden Missiles that can come out of nowhere and basically act as a combo breaker if you get opened up. Soooooo cheap!

All I've really gotta do is get my Hawkeye air throw game and steal all of the Morrigan rushdown you guys were just talking about

Im watching the stream and I cant believe how many tiger knees and throws I messed up. I feel I could've had it if my execution was a little better. I need to spend some time in the lab. Next battle royal I WONT be free in the beginning.

JeTmAn81

I just want to say that I am the best because I never mash or pick cheap characters and I always land lengthy combos in matches instead of just jumping around and throwing fireballs like some scrub. Stay free everyone.

A Pretty Panda

fuckin' called it, man
Did you pick that Hulk team at the end because Gian talked about how afraid he was of Hulk in the chat?

I was reading him talk about it and kept thinking to myself that he was going to eventually be blown up by a Hulk, I just assumed it would be mine.

Gian might have won if he hadn't done that.

JeTmAn81

Did you pick that Hulk team at the end because Gian talked about how afraid he was of Hulk in the chat?

I was reading him talk about it and kept thinking to myself that he was going to eventually be blown up by a Hulk, I just assumed it would be mine.

Gian might have won if he hadn't done that.

It was more a reflection of the general weakness against super armor characters I was seeing amongst the players (including myself). I play a Hulk team fairly regularly so I figured that was my shot to clutch it out. Of course then I ran into your runaway Thor and didn't know what to do.

smurfx

get some go again
all spencer players should be watching combofiend videos on a loop. if you are going to steal tech make sure its from the best spencer. just like how i'm trying to steal all of bum's haggar tech. who has a real good taskmaster? i can't really think of anybody that wows me. i really should watch killer kai play since he does use taskmaster and zero like i do.

JeTmAn81

all spencer players should be watching combofiend videos on a loop. if you are going to steal tech make sure its from the best spencer. just like how i'm trying to steal all of bum's haggar tech. who has a real good taskmaster? i can't really think of anybody that wows me. i really should watch killer kai play since he does use taskmaster and zero like i do.

Also Honzo Gonzo.

Kimosabae

Banned
You just have an X-Factor activation reset the TAC input "lockout" so that they can't "force" a TAC through. The issue here is simply the TAC and X-Factor mechanics having an unintended interaction.

The problem is; you're jumping the gun in thinking that one tactic involving universal systems interacting deserves to be changed because it's detrimental to one character. The integrity of all systems remain intact: There's nothing "broken" here. I'm not onboard with that thinking. Not only are legit answers to this tactic already being theorized but the tactic itself has implications beyond just dealing with DP, so suggesting a systems change should even be made is knee-jerk and potentially debilitating on a meta-game development level.

smurfx

get some go again
i need to start watching more zero videos as well for ideas. i don't know how to extend zero combos for more damage with taskmaster's assist and haggars. every time i see those huge damage videos from zero its usually the same assists and i don't use those characters. right now i'm basically just going for resets for more damage.

I tried X-23, but her OTG on point is too slow to combo into slant shot :-(

I'm thinking about Spencer/Akuma/Magneto, but I'd use the overhead assist instead of tatsu. I can use it to ground bounce after a second hyper with Spencer and keep the combo going, and I can use slant shot with Akuma for some cool resets. Only thing I'm worried about is that Spencer and Akuma are both super meter heavy, and I like to save some for Magnus.

I don't know. I could use Dante or Sentinel or Nemesis or Vergil, but meh. Maybe I'll use Thor.

I don't think I'll find a character that works with Spencer as Well as Wesker.

kirblar

The problem is; you're jumping the gun in thinking that one tactic involving universal systems interacting deserves to be changed because it's detrimental to one character. The integrity of all systems remain intact: There's nothing "broken" here. I'm not onboard with that thinking. Not only are legit answers to this tactic already being theorized but the tactic itself has implications beyond just dealing with DP, so suggesting a systems change should even be made is knee-jerk and potentially debilitating on a meta-game development level.
Being able to TAC someone who counters correctly is a game systems failure. Period. Just like the DHC glitch was just that- a glitch, this is not some situation where this is an intended outcome, not is it an outcome that makes logical sense based on the concept behind the TAC system (TACs are intended to be a calculated risk/guessing game.)

This isn't about "helping Phoenix"- as you said, the implications here go beyond that. This is about fixing a glitch in the system that's causing a loss of interactivity in the game by allowing players to bypass core game mechanics.

smurfx

get some go again
Being able to TAC someone who counters correctly is a game systems failure. Period. Just like the DHC glitch was just that- a glitch, this is not some situation where this is an intended outcome, not is it an outcome that makes logical sense based on the concept behind the TAC system (TACs are intended to be a calculated risk/guessing game.)

This isn't about "helping Phoenix"- as you said, the implications here go beyond that. This is about fixing a glitch in the system that's causing a loss of interactivity in the game by allowing players to bypass core game mechanics.
you are blowing your x factor so its not like its a free way to get passed TAC.

JeTmAn81

It's not actually a glitch, though, is it? It won't work if the other person counters you. It only works if they don't counter you, and then you cancel your successful up/down TACwith an X-factor and take advantage of your opponent's temporary inability to counter to hit them with a free side TAC.

kirblar

you are blowing your x factor so its not like its a free way to get passed TAC.
Just like blowing 2 meters let you reset hit-stun scaling in vanilla. In both cases, it's letting you bypass game mechanics intended to promote interactive play, in the case of Hit-Stun scaling, by forcing you to reset your opponent and allow them the opportunity to control their character again, in the case of TACs, by allowing your opponent a chance to combo-break you.

Grecco

At least looking at their pre set teams online Viscant seems to be working on Wolverine/Wesker/Hawkeye and i think Tokkido created a new Magneto/Doom/Vergil team. Methinks the reign of Jean is over officially.

She can sit next to that other Pheonix on the bench.

kirblar

It's not actually a glitch, though, is it? It won't work if the other person counters you. It only works if they don't counter you, and then you cancel your successful up/down TACwith an X-factor and take advantage of your opponent's temporary inability to counter to hit them with a free side TAC.
The issue here is that it's allowing you to change the type of TAC without your opponent getting a chance to try and guess. It's bypassing the interactive portion of the TAC mechanic, which cannot in any way be construed as "intended" by the designers/developers.

Kimosabae

Banned
Being able to TAC someone who counters correctly is a game systems failure. Period.

Nope. Rigid and arbitrary. If you understand how TAC counters work, and the tactic in question, you'd see that this is no different than punishing a normal's recovery with Guard Cancel X-Factor. TACs rules are left intact and unaffected. X-Factor is simply giving us another option to take liberties with the game's systems - just as it was intended.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom