• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Ultimate Marvel vs. Capcom 3 |OT| of 9 Years Urley

Status
Not open for further replies.

kirblar

Nope. Rigid and arbitrary. If you understand how TAC counters work, and the tactic in question, you'd see that this is no different than punishing a normal's recovery with Guard Cancel X-Factor. TACs rules are left intact and unaffected. X-Factor is simply giving us another option to take liberties with the game's systems - just as it was intended.
Not rigid. Not arbitrary.

X-Factor does a few things:

Provides a damage boost (varies by character)
Provides a speed boost (varies by character)
Puts character into a neutral state, cancelling any actions the character was taking.
Resets Damage Scaling
Resets Hitstun Scaling

X-Factoring cancelling the first TAC to try a second TAC is fine. The opponent not being able to counter ANY of the 3 TAC options for the second TAC? Not fine. It's allowing a bypass of a game mechanic. Glitch, and as we're not in the dark ages anymore, it'll get patched eventually. There were people who thought the DHC glitch would survive. They were nuts.

Kimosabae

Banned

Puts character into a neutral state, cancelling any actions the character was taking.
Resets Damage Scaling
Resets Hitstun Scaling

X-Factoring cancelling the first TAC to try a second TAC is fine. The opponent not being able to counter ANY of the 3 TAC options for the second TAC? Not fine. It's allowing a bypass of a game mechanic. Glitch, and as we're not in the dark ages anymore, it'll get patched eventually.

You don't know what a glitch is and you don't understand how TACs work. What prevents a player from mashing TAC directions is a 15 frame restriction on each Direct + S input, before another is considered by the engine as valid. All X-Factor does here, is take advantage of that 15 frame restriction placed by the engine itself. Air XF does what it's intended to do. TAC does what it's intended do. Just because the developers may not have anticipated this circumvention of TAC doesn't make it a glitch. The game's code is working fine.

smurfx

get some go again

Resets Damage Scaling
Resets Hitstun Scaling

X-Factoring cancelling the first TAC to try a second TAC is fine. The opponent not being able to counter ANY of the 3 TAC options for the second TAC? Not fine. It's allowing a bypass of a game mechanic. Glitch, and as we're not in the dark ages anymore, it'll get patched eventually. There were people who thought the DHC glitch would survive. They were nuts.
DHC glitch shouldn't of survived as all the characters in the game didn't have access to it. i wouldn't of had any problem with the DHC glitch if everybody could use it. everybody can use this so its not bad and i'm not calling it a glitch yet.

kirblar

You don't know what a glitch is and you don't understand how TACs work. What prevents a player from mashing TAC directions is a 15 frame restriction on each Direct + S input, before another is considered by the engine as valid. All X-Factor does here, is take advantage of that 15 frame restriction placed by the engine itself. Air XF does what it's intended to do. TAC does what it's intended do. Just because the developers may not have anticipated this circumvention of TAC doesn't make it a glitch. The game's code is working fine.
Just because something is working, does not mean it's working as intended.

A Pretty Panda

fuckin' called it, man

It's a glitch just like wavedashing is obviously a glitch and uknowit.

Ugh

Kimosabae

Banned
Just because something is working, does not mean it's working as intended.

Duh?

*edit*

Sorry to comes across as a dick, but really, I mentioned this. Multiple times.

*edit2*

And just because something is not working as intended doesn't make it bad. Finding things that developers didn't intend is one of the beauties of treating a game like a science.

The issue here is that it's allowing you to change the type of TAC without your opponent getting a chance to try and guess. It's bypassing the interactive portion of the TAC mechanic, which cannot in any way be construed as "intended" by the designers/developers.

No, it's not. You don't get it. It ONLY works because you know Phoenix players mash side tag. It has nothing to do with breaking the guesses. If anything, it MAKES phoenix guess. If you guess the first tag, it breaks. Period. Only if you guess wrong, they can change the direction afterward. What this means is that in exchange for x-factor, you give one SUCCESSFUL tag the properties of another.

So you can basically spend x-factor to make any successful air tag drain meter.

smurfx

get some go again
No, it's not. You don't get it. It ONLY works because you know Phoenix players mash side tag. It has nothing to do with breaking the guesses. If anything, it MAKES phoenix guess. If you guess the first tag, it breaks. Period. Only if you guess wrong, they can change the direction afterward. What this means is that in exchange for x-factor, you give one SUCCESSFUL tag the properties of another.

So you can basically spend x-factor to make any successful air tag drain meter.
true this isn't really a game breaking "glitch" at all. if you got one team down to one character then you are most likely going to blow x factor on a combo anyway and not risk fucking up and letting the guy guess right on a TAC.

SmokeMaxX

The opponent not being able to counter ANY of the 3 TAC options for the second TAC? Not fine.
What are you talking about? The opponent can counter any of the guesses. Do you not know how the thing works?
If the opponent thinks that the comboer will try this, he waits for the x factor and mashes side exchange. Alternatively he can try to 1/3 guess the FIRST time which actually turns into a 1/2 guess if you think they might try something like this. The best way to counter this is to not get combo'd.

Another use would be, say you're using Magneto/Doom/Phoenix. You can do a mags combo, then go for an air tag. Everyone's going to try and prevent a down tag, so you do an up tag. It hits, you x-factor, then do a down tag into a long ass doom air combo. Now you have 5 bars for phoenix from one combo, at the cost of not having x-factor lvl 3 available.

smurfx

get some go again
What are you talking about? The opponent can counter any of the guesses. Do you not know how the thing works?
If the opponent thinks that the comboer will try this, he waits for the x factor and mashes side exchange. Alternatively he can try to 1/3 guess the FIRST time which actually turns into a 1/2 guess if you think they might try something like this. The best way to counter this is to not get combo'd.
yeah phoenix users can stop this by being good with their first 2 characters and getting the other team down to 1 guy and avoiding this.

Waiting for the x-factor is the same as never trying to counter the tag...

Burning Water

Neo Member
So lemme get this straight: I go for an up tag while Phoenix goes for a side counter, I successfully hit the up tag, then I X Factor and go for a side tag, and I'll get to hit the tag successfully.

I don't think this breaks anything. As said before, it adds to the guessing aspect of TAC. Other than that, the new TAC in general was already taken as an indirect nerf to Phoenix anyway because of the new side TAC. If anything, this is what the developers intended.

rexor0717

Whenever I see people play Taskmaster on stream, they never really implement any of the cool stuff he can do. They still play him very solidly, but never quite seem to unlock his full potential. Like, no one seems to use his sting master ever. Its a really good move.

Kadey

Mrs. Harvey
Same rules as PSN HBR with added changes.

1. Winners cannot use the same three characters in the next match. So that means you'll have to know at least six characters to have benefits.
  2. 3 hour time frame. 2 and a half hours goes by like nothing when fun is being had. So much easier to do now that I have a timer on the stream itself.
  3. Points system will be standard but I have added two more to the mix.
°3 characters alive= 4 points
°2 charracters alive= 2 points
°1 character alive= 1 point
° Landing a perfect= 7 points. Nearly impossible. Especially online. Causing chip damage is
much easier to do than other fighters so in Marvel so Perfects are much more dignified.
° Winning without using a X-Factor gives you an extra point. So add one extra point to however many characters you had left.
°Technically you could get 8 points at most if you did not use X-Factor and perfected an
opponent.

I'm still taking people so if you want in PM me.

════════════════════════════════════════════

No Problem Kars. The laggy brothers should get theirs today.

For some reason I get Shao and Kars mixed up all the time. Kinda like Xevren and Xenoraven.

Shoutouts to snow. No fun before I get home tonight.

Solune

Whenever I see people play Taskmaster on stream, they never really implement any of the cool stuff he can do. They still play him very solidly, but never quite seem to unlock his full potential. Like, no one seems to use his sting master ever. Its a really good move.

The same can be said of alot players with the exception of characters masters. This is what they discussed during Big Two about how MastaCJ's team is really solid but follows a strict flowchart once he's gotten in. And case in point during the big blowup in PSN battle royale yesterday, people sticking to BnBs rather than more difficult / styling stuff.

Tobe

mkadey would you mind bending the rules just for smurf, it wouldnt be that much fun without him. like maybe he cant use 1 character and has to change all the assist or something like that.

Bizazedo

I like it. I was the only one with two entirely different teams last time :). Well, a third team with 2/3 of a new team, but really.

Now if I can just get over this sickness :(.

Nyoro SF

So lemme get this straight: I go for an up tag while Phoenix goes for a side counter, I successfully hit the up tag, then I X Factor and go for a side tag, and I'll get to hit the tag successfully.

I don't think this breaks anything. As said before, it adds to the guessing aspect of TAC. Other than that, the new TAC in general was already taken as an indirect nerf to Phoenix anyway because of the new side TAC. If anything, this is what the developers intended.

TAC is such a silly mechanic. None of this would have happened if they just used the TAC system from TvC (guaranteed aerial tag after spending a bar)

But then I would have to deal with people whining about MvC3 = TvC2. Still a worthy tradeoff though to have a better game with more whiners than vice-versa.

Kadey

Mrs. Harvey
You can reuse the three characters if you won another match but after that match you cannot use the characters in the match you just won afterwards and so on.

So it's like.

First match. Ryu, Vergil, Cap. You win.
Next match you use Storn, Iron Man, Sent since you can't use Ryu, Vergil and Cap again.
If you win the match before you can use the characters from the first match but you can't use the characters you just won with.

No using three of the same characters in sequential matches. Only applies to winning players. Losers can use whatever they please.

And I'm not changing rules. HBR is meant to be balanced. Having familiarity with the game as a whole is the key because if a player has a dominate team in which no one can beat it loses all purpose. This way, everybody has a winning chance.

rexor0717

The same can be said of alot players with the exception of characters masters. This is what they discussed during Big Two about how MastaCJ's team is really solid but follows a strict flowchart once he's gotten in. And case in point during the big blowup in PSN battle royale yesterday, people sticking to BnBs rather than more difficult / styling stuff.

Yeah, I agree with what you said. But I was talking more about basic strategies for the character. Like using his spidey swing cancels to zoom forward with arrows. Or doing the sting master after a blocked shield skills. When I watch streams, a lot of Taskmasters look super day one as compared to the rest of the characters on their team.

Hmm... I can't decide.

Spencer/Akuma/Magneto
Spencer/C.Viper/Magneto

Both are so much fun!

Akuma: LMH6H xx ground bounce, jump loop x 3, jab xx teleport + slant shot assist, RAGING DEMON SON yeah I reset into an unscaled hyper like I give a fuck
C.Viper: BnB, seismo + slant shot, mixup hell

I'll still play Wesker/Magneto/Phoenix from time to time, that's probably the most fun team for me to play.

enzo_gt

tagged by Blackace
You can reuse the three characters if you won another match but after that match you cannot use the characters in the match you just won afterwards and so on.

So it's like.

First match. Ryu, Vergil, Cap. You win.
Next match you use Storn, Iron Man, Sent since you can't use Ryu, Vergil and Cap again.
If you win the match before you can use the characters from the first match but you can't use the characters you just won with.

No using three of the same characters in sequential matches. Only applies to winning players. Losers can use whatever they please.

And I'm not changing rules. HBR is meant to be balanced. Having familiarity with the game as a whole is the key because if a player has a dominate team in which no one can beat it loses all purpose. This way, everybody has a winning chance.
Gotcha. Shot you a PM.

Frantic

I'm fine with the rule. I generally play sub-teams in the lobby anyways, so it'll be all good and fun.

Akuma: LMH6H xx ground bounce, jump loop x 3, jab xx teleport + slant shot assist, RAGING DEMON SON yeah I reset into an unscaled hyper like I give a fuck
Okay, that sounds hilarious.

Degen

Hmm... I can't decide.

Spencer/Akuma/Magneto
Spencer/C.Viper/Magneto

Both are so much fun!

C.Viper: BnB, seismo + slant shot, mixup hell

I'll still play Wesker/Magneto/Phoenix from time to time, that's probably the most fun team for me to play.
I don't see Nemesis on either of these teams; why give up on that dominating "KO you and your assist for free" character

making me sad right now beard, very sad

D

Deleted member 13876

Unconfirmed Member
In how many hours would the HBR start for Live? Don't want to stay up extremely late but if there's still room and it's not too late I'll shoot a PM.

I'm fine with the rule. I generally play sub-teams in the lobby anyways, so it'll be all good and fun.

Yeah, you're fine with that format. I'm royally screwed, with my knowledge of a whopping 4 characters :p

smurfx

get some go again
Well i tried, smurf you need to learn other characters dammit
thanks and i don't want to learn a new team. i don't have the patience for it at this point. i rather spend that time improving my team and there's a whole lot more i can improve on anyway.

A Pretty Panda

fuckin' called it, man
ak3ET.jpg

NZowB.jpg

WgOiJ.jpg

QSC43.jpg

Mailed to both of us so I thought I would find my tag and prizes there as well, but it was not there. I guess it was mailed separately?

Thanks again.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom