• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Ultimate Marvel vs. Capcom 3 |OT| of 9 Years Urley

Status
Not open for further replies.

enzo_gt

tagged by Blackace
You know what this means...

THEORY FIGHTER HYPER BATTLE ROYALE OF ULTIMOO VS. PANDA.

LET'S GET READYTO THEOOOOOOOOOOOOORIIIIIIZZZZZZZZE!

Degen

Trying out my Week 1 Vanilla MvC3 favorite, GOD OF THUNDER (and rock & rooooolll)

j.S, c.L, c.H, S, j.MMH, mighty strike, tornado. 792k for a free Gamma Crush setup? it's like that, FullFlej?? come on, man. don't do your opponents like that

Thor hits so hard that he has to suck in every other way or he'd be the best character.

h3ro

Indifferent2.gif

Neki

Trying out my Week 1 Vanilla MvC3 favorite, GOD OF THUNDER (and rock & rooooolll)

j.S, c.L, c.H, S, j.MMH, mighty strike, tornado. 792k for a free Gamma Crush setup? it's like that, FullFlej?? come on, man. don't do your opponents like that

Thor hits so hard that he has to suck in every other way or he'd be the best character.

dem thor combos, look at that high skill cap.

JeTmAn81

why the fuck am i fighting hundreds of cap/wesker/sent teams

did someone on a stream make this popular or something?

You might need an attitude adjustment. I look forward to playing the characters that give me the most trouble, because how else will I get better at beating them? And if they don't give you trouble, you need to start playing harder opponents who are less likely to pick characters favored by the general populace, or at least know how to play them more effectively.

V_Arnold

I do not know how to beat Nova. He is constantly on the offensive, and when I am in the air, he just mashes H for the throw.

What to do? He of course has a nice Hawkeye assist too (Greyhound shot..).

My team is Wesker/Vergil/Spencer, or Wesker/Vergil/Strange.

A Pretty Panda

fuckin' called it, man
I do not know how to beat Nova. He is constantly on the offensive, and when I am in the air, he just mashes H for the throw.

Hahahahahahahahahaha

Kimosabae

Banned

I feel your pain. With Hawkeye/Spencer Assists in particular; they make him much better than he should be. The goal is to find a safe move that can space/punish him and keep him out of the area he likes to be in - around the 9 position. I play Dante/Iron Man/Magnus, and the only move I have success doing this with is Iron Man's Repulser Blast - but I don't like the idea of starting IM at the behest of one matchup.

Your team doesn't seem to have anything going for it in that area either. Only thing I can tell you is to anticipate his movements and Assist calls and punish accordingly. Try running away, and zoning a bit with Wesker, also. Just do what you can to keep him out of your face in that 9 position.

JeTmAn81

Wesker has a pretty good air throw game himself, so you can try poking with option select j.H's (Back+H or Forward+H) when he's in range. If he tries to throw, you'll tech, otherwise you will hit him, leading into either a blocked hit or a combo. I think if you normal jump back and forth and throw out j.H when it seems prudent that might help keep off the pressure. Super jumping and throwing out the gunshot might deter him a bit. You can also try to cross him under when he's in the air with dashes or teleports into a launcher to catch him with the large hitbox.

Vergil also has a good air throw game, which leads into full combo for him. So also try poking with j.H with him. To gain a little time, you might try charging Round Trip and jumping up to throw it out, then going for a mixup on landing. Also, protect yourself with Spiral Swords and teleport in on him to try for a combo.

Nova doesn't have much in the way of good lows, so if you figure out how to defend against his air game you're most of the way there.

Neki

Nova can't block during an air dash, so you can easily exploit that with the superior hitboxes of Vergil and Wesker anyways.

JeTmAn81

Oh yeah and as far as Spencer goes (I know the least about this character out of the three), his air grapple seems to be quite good at immobilizing opponents while he gets in to start his close-range offensive pressure. I think that should work against opponents that enjoy an air offensive, unless they are too high in which case you could switch to a ground grapple shot at an angle or directly up at them.

Bizazedo

Nova can't block during an air dash, so you can easily exploit that with the superior hitboxes of Vergil and Wesker anyways.

Indeed. Try and jump at Nova while he's dashing at high speed at you prepping to mash H. Nothing bad can happen in this scenario :).

You have to space / block and don't push block against Nova. He can't really mix you up except with a "lucky" dash over dolphin H to the back of your head and he's very unsafe.

Just make sure he doesn't SF style throw you.

Neki

Indeed. Try and jump at Nova while he's dashing at high speed at you prepping to mash H. Nothing bad can happen in this scenario :).

You have to space / block and don't push block against Nova. He can't really mix you up except with a "lucky" dash over dolphin H to the back of your head and he's very unsafe.

Just make sure he doesn't SF style throw you.

I wouldn't recommend jumping straight at him unless you're mashing H, but Nova's air dash forward is very predictable in the speed and distance it travels. Forward gunshot, or jump back gunshot are very effective against an air dashing Nova, as is a j.H from Vergil. Nova's air dashes are very awkward in that regard, compared to someone like Magneto. Also a whiffed j.H from Nova is super easy to punish with a fast normal once he lands.

A Pretty Panda

fuckin' called it, man
PSN hasn't even gone down yet.......

Also I'm busy tomorrow (I think, either tomorrow or Saturday. I'll definitely let you guys know when asap), I think Ultimoo said he was too.

LakeEarth

I hate facing an air-dashing Nova cause I know he's completely vulnerable up there but I always get hit by an H or a throw anyways. Sometimes I try to use Nemesis anti-air grab to catch him, which works, but if I miss I eat a fat combo.

These days I usually just zone him out. With Nemesis I jump and do his forward tentacles, or jumping triple arrows with Hawkeye. Not a ton of damage but it shuts it down clean.

A Pretty Panda

fuckin' called it, man
At least I know that you can comprehend you know how to press more than one button a time if you have to do an srk motion. Otherwise, I just imagine Panda sitting there looking at his controllers pressing aaa, bbbb, cccc, ssss, aaaa, bbbb, cccc, ssss, qcb + abababababab and looking up at the screen and clapping his hands wildly at the big damage he did.

I finally realize what the post reminds me exactly of.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=61Y4y0XBKUM

Some high quality stuff right here.

Let's hear it one more time for Michael McUltimoo.

*boooooo

zlatko

Banned
GRAVIMETRIC PULSE, ENERGY JAVELIN ENERGY JAVELIN

If THAT'S your undoing when fighting a Nova player, then you are struggling at UMvC3---not Nova.

Nova is hard to deal with when you got a Combofiend type of mix up gaming and offense going, and if he connects you are eating a nasty ass combo of YA LIKE YA LIKE YA LIKE YA LIKE THAT?! with the flurry of H's in the air, which is hard to do.

Personally, my Nova strategy is pretty easy to overcome. I'll use hawkeye triple burst to cover me as I hop into the air and do a QCB + H. If it hits, then wham your character better have over 920ishK life or else they are dead. If you block I get a mix up, and the same if it whiffs I get a mix up. I can dash back, dash forward, or do fly. Of course since it's an air dash I can hit H to bop you, or cross up bop you, and the fly option is just another means to get to safety quickly against certain characters. My last option is just to block.

So yeah, pretty easy to overcome, but it's a solid means to win games if you've never deal with the strategy or can't adjust on the fly quickly. It's once I also introduce the Combofiend stuff of quick instant air over heads with L, that it'll be scary times for my online opponents.

Nova has some fairly tricky combos, but even without them you can play pretty much however you want with him, and do mad easy combos for great damage, which in all honesty is why I picked him as the focus of my team. I got tired of dropping shit online with other characters, so I just downgraded to easier to play characters. Nova/Hawkeye/Wesker, and sometimes I drop Wesker, leave Hawk for anchor and put in characters like Hulk, Doom, Ryu, Strange, and a few others.

D

Deleted member 13876

Unconfirmed Member
If THAT'S your undoing when fighting a Nova player, then you are struggling at UMvC3---not Nova.

That's actually what I love to do AS a Nova player. Of course it needs the proper spacing, but you can do fun stuff when you deviate from the perceived pattern.

Tobe

so i recently saw a "all capcom history" tournament over gameacho and thought that would be really fun. what would yo guys think of doing like a 3 or 5 game tournemnt for fun, marvel and SF for sure maybe kof some anime game idk? if we did it we should coordinate with all of fighting game gaf tho

True story. Last night I had a dream that I was Phoenix Wright at a mall and I was hitting people with my shiny finger. I can only take this as a sign that I need to seriously learn him.

JeTmAn81

AFAIK, nothing in the press release actually said online play would be down, just that you wouldn't be able to get to the PSN store, manage your account, etc.

Jenga

Banned
You might need an attitude adjustment. I look forward to playing the characters that give me the most trouble, because how else will I get better at beating them? And if they don't give you trouble, you need to start playing harder opponents who are less likely to pick characters favored by the general populace, or at least know how to play them more effectively.
oh I don't find them difficult to play against

just fighting against the same team in a row from 3 or 4 different people is boring as fuck

A Pretty Panda

fuckin' called it, man
I've been here before. Another grudge match? Beat the man senseless. 1-2-3. Then leave as I enter the GAFFLE-U GAFFLE-U E champion. Maybe I'll take my time, and have a little fun. Then I'll move on to a real challenge.

I'm A Pretty Panda. YOU'RE NOT FIGHTING THE ODDS ULTIMOO YOU'RE FIGHTING ME. I've beaten Legends, Great Ones, Professors. You. Are. NO ONE.

They say there's NO. WAY. OUT.

I can think of at least 1.

Can you?

zlatko

Banned
That's actually what I love to do AS a Nova player. Of course it needs the proper spacing, but you can do fun stuff when you deviate from the perceived pattern.

The only time I do this is when it's a character with no real options against it like Nemesis.

I'll chill back, put my swag reflector up, and bring the rain while hawkeye assist is spammed as well. It's also a good idea to leave reflectors up against Striders who like to teleport alot, since they'll just go right into it, and allow you to confirm for a free death to him.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom