• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Ultimate Marvel vs. Capcom 3 |OT| of 9 Years Urley

Status
Not open for further replies.

QisTopTier

XisBannedTier
Parallax Scroll said:
you don't actually think q is top tier do you
Q is the best character in any fighting game, if his 3rd strike version was in mvc3 he would still win. Just copy paste mugen style.

Azure J

OK, been gone for a bit and woke up again feeling out of it... What in the name of all that's good went down in this thread?

kunonabi

tm24 said:
I know it's late, but I can't let this one go. Why do you hate things that are good?

He doesn't. Ultimate Spider-Man, like the rest of the PC bullshit Ultimate lines, was complete crap.

Frantic said:
Oh, that sure is... something alright.
Eh... why not.

I started out making this for fun and it became a kind of obsessive thing that I had to finish. Most tier lists for older games tend to be matchup charts that give people absolutely no insight into how or why the character can beat someone else. Other more modern lists are even more ambiguous since they just assign a letter grade and call it a day. This tier list is for Marvel vs Capcom 3 and I intend for it to cover nine different aspects of each character in the game. I find these aspects most important when trying to correctly analyze the potential of any character in a fighting game and they are all universal aspects of pretty much any fighter ever made(projectiles, damage output, mixups) with the exception of assists. Some mechanics(X-factor speed/damage boosts), health ratings, hypers(some are FANTASTIC while others are bad) and assists can place a character with more bad matchups higher on the tier list, but this is more of an outlier and it is easy to spot in this list if you have a good eye.

The tools for measurement will be nine separate aspects of the characters:
Mobility/Mix Ups/Damage Output/Moves Priority/Post throw game/Zoning tools/Execution Barrier/Assist options/Health

Note:
A nice trend that I've noticed in MvC3 is that the dominating characters sport a bevy of powerful options and moves that make them powerful in three categories. The most powerful aspects of a character in MvC3 that determine tier placement and matchups are mobility, mixups and damage output. The characters with the most powerful grip on the tournament and mid level scenes all have very healthy ratings in these three categories and I placed characters that match each other exactly in order of greatest to least in these categories(5/5/5 score for Akuma at 35 points overall will be higher tier than 4/4/4 score for Doctor Doom at 35 points overall).

Now on to the list...

S tier:
Dark Phoenix:5/5/5/5/5/5/4/4/2-40 points
Dante:4/5/5/5/4/5/3/4/3- 38 points
Magneto:5/5/5/4/5/5/3/4/2- 38 points
Wolverine:5/5/5/5/5/1/5/3/4- 38 points
Albert Wesker:5/4/4/4/4/4/5/4/5- 38 points
Phoenix:5/4/4/4/4/5/4/4/2- 36 points
Amaterasu:5/4/4/4/5/4/3/4/2- 35 points
Zero:4/5/5/5/4/4/3/3/2- 35 points
Crimson Viper:4/5/5/5/5/3/2/3/3- 35 points
Nathan Spencer:4/5/4/4/4/3/3/4/4- 35 points
Akuma:3/4/4/4/5/4/4/5/2- 35 points

High A tier:
Taskmaster:3/2/4/4/4/4/4/4/5- 34 points
Doctor Doom:3/4/4/3/4/4/3/5/4- 34 points
She-Hulk:4/5/4/4/4/2/4/3/4- 33 points
M.O.D.O.K.:4/4/5/3/5/3/2/4/3- 33 points
Iron Man:4/3/4/3/4/4/3/4/4- 33 points
Trish:4/3/3/4/3/5/4/4/3- 33 points

Low A tier:
Ryu:3/3/4/4/4/3/4/4/4- 33 points
Dormammu:3/3/4/4/4/5/3/3/4- 33 points
Sentinel:4/2/4/4/4/4/5/4/2- 33 points
Deadpool:3/3/3/3/4/5/4/4/4- 33 points
Tron Bonne:3/2/4/4/4/2/4/5/5- 33 points

Mid B tier:
Storm:4/3/4/3/4/4/3/4/3- 32 points
Spider-Man:5/5/5/3/3/2/2/2/3- 31 points
Super-Skrull:3/3/4/3/4/2/4/4/4- 31 points
Morrigan Aensland:4/3/3/3/2/4/4/4/4- 31 points
Chris Redfield:2/2/4/3/4/4/3/3/5-31points
Hulk:2/2/4/4/3/2/5/3/5- 31 points
X-23:4/4/4/5/3/1/4/3/2- 30 points
Viewtiful Joe:3/4/3/5/3/4/3/2/3- 30 points
Felicia:4/4/3/3/4/2/3/3/3-29 points

Low C tier:
Jill Valentine:4/4/3/4/3/2/3/3/3- 29 points
Shuma-Gorath:3/4/3/4/2/3/3/4/3- 29 points
Captain America:2/3/4/4/1/4/4/3/4- 29 points
Thor:3/2/4/3/3/3/3/3/5- 29 points
Mike Haggar:1/1/4/4/2/2/5/5/5- 29 points

Bottom D tier:
Hsien-Ko:2/2/3/4/2/3/3/5/3- 27 points
Chun-Li:3/3/3/3/1/2/4/3/3- 25 points
Arthur:1/1/2/5/3/4/4/4/2- 26 points

It is pretty self explanatory. The S tier is full of characters that counter each other very well. There are some legitimate counters against S tiers in the A tier category as well, but the matchups are usually in S tier's favor by noticeable margins. Mid tier struggles against S tier with few exceptions and it doesn't do very well against A tier either. Many of these characters have the tools or could have the tools to become much more powerful with a few tweaks. C tier is full of characters that are usually very very lacking in the tools necessary to win a game and they struggle greatly against anything past mid tier due to little proliferation of technology(fighting game lingo for no information on a character) among the community. Bottom D tier is occupied by characters that are barren. They usually have no redeeming qualities and if they do, they are so hampered by other aspects of their gameplan that they can't capitalize on that one possibly decent tool. They are played too little by the community and the developer clearly skipped over these characters. They are in need of a serious overhaul.

The nature of MvC3(a 3vs3 game) makes it much too hard to come up with a perfect tier list and X-factor on it's own makes it practically impossible. The game is far too random for any one person to come up with a real reference list like those you would find for most older fighters and it will remain this way because this game's life was cut short. Unlike other fighters(MvC2 was around for about ten years) this game will only have a short nine months of life so this is probably as good as it will get.

Have fun arguing about how crazy my choices are! ;)
QisTopTier said:
DO IT NOWWWW.
Rocket raccoon is a shitty character who specializes in getting blown up, controlling nothing and in general being a character that is extremely hard win with, and has a lot of trouble landing the hit on others because of his tiny little vermin paws. Sporting one of the smallest hiboxes in the game, Rocket Raccoon has numerous mobility options ranging from dashing through the air like a little maniac, a cheap ass burrow teleport move which only delays his inevitable death and jet hover which is absolutely useless when he gets hypered in the face. His traps make it pretty easy to get in as he can lay out 2 at once and he has some projectiles that cover multiple angles of approach and are easy to jump over. While he is hard to hit, once you do you realize that he has the health of a paper towel. Rocket Raccoon isn't a really high damage output character himself seeing as he is only about the size my cat. However that's not going to stop him from being an annoying little bugger so you should bust out some food and a cage for the little bugger!
Vergil can be best described as a bitch ass pretty boy DMC character that provides some uniquely BORING tools of his own. He has multiple tracking teleports(yawn) and huge ranged normals like Dante(the real son of Sparda) who already did it first, Along with a unique hyper that allows him to summon skinny ass swords and lock down opponents for mix ups at the cost of another bar LOLZ(Can't this guy do anything UNIQUE? Let's find out). At his core, Vergil is shitty excuse for a mixup character unlike his idols(Strider, Dante and Wesker) and has numerous utility hypers to help him open up an opponent(LOLZ Devil Trigger again!). While not a requirement to his overall game plan, Vergil burns through meter like no other character in the game, as he blows his load on all 5 meters in a matter of seconds in a single combo when he needs to kill big health characters that my girl Viper will finish with only two bars max. We can safely say that Morrigan is EXTREMELY dissapointed with the last bit. Poor Vergil just doesn't have the stamina or energy to keep up!
QisTopTier said:
What team type were you gonna make. I could probably help with a strong team set up based off two characters you like, if you want suggestions
SolarPowered said:
All teams listed in order from greatest to least. Top is my most favored team and bottom is my least favored team.

Team "Sanford":
57auz.jpg

Wz0H1.jpg

vXrDh.jpg

Team "Gatekeeper":
OXBiV.jpg

57auz.jpg

tSEK5.jpg

Team "Corgi":
KALzG.jpg

6MbL2.jpg

YazeM.jpg

Team "Clutch":
57auz.jpg

vXrDh.jpg

SOuri.jpg
These are my teams. Every character here will be at least A tier. Frank is the only possible mid tier character on the list(I doubt this) because he needs to level up for real performance. My gameplan with him mostly revolves around getting the combos I need to get him into level three and above. His normals are fantastic for pressure/chip and they pair very well with cold star assist. His invulnerable rushing hyper(after leveling up some) is a big help and it looks very combo/DHC/picture friendly. I may not end up using him in the end though. I will probably switch Frank to second slot since he gets better pictures off DHC. Team Corgi is mostly about having fun with the first two characters. I already went through the workings of AmmyxFrank so this is mostly about Strider. The dude will be a monster in XF3 and five seconds is all it will take to kill at least one character. Playing Frank correctly gives me a chance to be dangerous and Ammy is always a force to be reckoned. I also like his extra health. I think his buffed mobility in higher levels combined with his health makes him a good character to pair with my team since I'll be building meter off his health in the worst case scenario. Frank's meter building assist also needs to be protected by Ammy if I plan to use it(hey, if I call it out only five times in a match and never again I've made good use of it so long as he is alive).

I tried Doom once before, but he felt a little clunky in the speed department. His overall combo friendliness has gone up and he pairs scarily well with Ammy thanks to his assists. My Sanford team mostly revolves around buffing Ammy's point game which will definitely knock out at least one of my opponents characters. The goal for this team is to whittle my opponent down so that he has to deal with multiple hard hitting top tier/high tier characters with good rushdown/mixups and powerful XF bonuses. Doctor Doom happens to be a great zoner too.

Team Gatekeeper is more about frustrating my opponent with Trish so that I can open them up easily with Ammy. The matches with this team are probably going to be long and hard for my opponents and getting in on her only means that cold star is there to shut them out in conjunction with her traps. Nova is sitting in the back with a scary beam DHC that I will not be afraid to use if I catch my opponent or his assist with OS shuffle.

I tried Spencer about a month back, but I was too meh on the whole game thanks to the Capcom trolling and I didn't go much further. Spencer is just one of those characters that got BUFFED despite his S tier status in Vanilla and he is actually very fun and compatible with AmmyxNova. He offers fantastic DHC potential, great great damage, tons of synergy and he has a ton of health to boot. He was fun, but unexplored for me in the first game and I want to see if I can take him further in UMvC3. I call it team Clutch because that is the only name I can associate with the character after watching Combofiend smash through people.

The most important thing about all of these teams is that they need to fit with Ammy first and FOREMOST. They should be great independent characters, but they NEED to complement the goddess or I'm not gonna spend much time on them.

Beth Cyra

CPS2 said:
Why is Megaman fanservice considered trolling now?
It's not really, well not all of it. Seth did make a joke that the Poster was meant to be a troll.

The thing is some Rock fans will see it as nothing but fan service and that is likely how most of it is suppose to be taken.

However there is another group that did support and voted X enough so much that he was the number 1/3 character wanted in the game yet people requested lower then him made it as actual characters and he became nothing more then an Alt.

This also happens when someone like Vergil who is a sub character in only one game from DMC made it in and now DMC has 3 characters or Resident Evil has 4 were as Rock has only 2 and neither of which is a Rock.

It's all perspective really but it shouldn't be hard to see where some fans are a bit bitter. Beyond that there hasn't been that bad of an out cry outside of a few fuck you's and that is pretty fair I would say.

Papercuts

fired zero bullets in the orphanage.
Holy shit, playing skyrim so long the world ended in this thread. Surprised that many people posted scans. :\

tm24

kunonabi said:
He doesn't. Ultimate Spider-Man, like the rest of the PC bullshit Ultimate lines, was complete crap.
Ultimate line is PC BS? You reading the same books as I am?

Also, that Tasky tech looks nasty

QisTopTier

XisBannedTier
Well first of all I would suggest not having ammy on point like ever >.>

You linked too many teams and my mind got overloaded on what you wanted. Plus like everything had a few things that irked me >.<

kunonabi

tm24 said:
Ultimate line is PC BS? You reading the same books as I am?

Also, that Tasky tech looks nasty

Gay Colossus, Black Nick Fury, new Black/Mexican Spider-man, Aunt May and Uncle Ben as hippies, etc. I read the beginning of Spider-man but it was too infuriating and ugly to look at. My friend read the X-Men and everything he told me sounded terrible. I'm sure there is much more than that.

Beth Cyra

kunonabi said:
Gay Colossus, Black Nick Fury, new Black/Mexican Spider-man, Aunt May and Uncle Ben as hippies, etc. I read the beginning of Spider-man but it was too infuriating and ugly to look at. My friend read the X-Men and everything he told me sounded terrible. I'm sure there is much more than that.
Wait, Gay Colssus is being PC? I mean there where far bigger changes in character in Ultimate X Men then just Colussus being gay so I don't see why you would take that some kinda PC agenda.

FSLink

Banned
Wow, tons of bans.
And I just dual modded my TE stick, so it's ready to go for Mahvel on both systems this Tuesday. :D

And SolarPowered, that's probably the most accurate tier list I've seen for vanilla.

Frantic

SolarPowered said:
Tier list
I just want to nitpick and say that Spencer should have a 5 on damage output. His base damage is one of the HIGHEST in the game, and he can do over 600k on a meterless combo. With the right assists, he can push it over 900k. As for mixups... a five is pushing it, imo. He has good mixups, but they're ALL assist reliant because otherwise they're very transparent. Even more so than simple teleport j.S or something. He's also really, really simple to pick up and learn, so a 3 in execution is pushing it.

Also, I do not agree on Dante having a five in execution barrier. At all. And you should give him at least a four in assist options. Jam Session is one of the most useful assists for zoning teams outside of Haggar/Tron, and his Weasal Shot is a decent assist for left/right mixups.

tm24

FSLink said:
Wow, tons of bans.
And I just dual modded my TE stick, so it's ready to go for Mahvel on both systems this Tuesday. :D
Any links for a dual mod guide? I've been thinking about doing that for a while but always too nervous to try

kunonabi said:
I know! Dirty minorites. How dare they get represented in comics.

FSLink

Banned
tm24 said:
Any links for a dual mod guide? I've been thinking about doing that for a while but always too nervous to try
I just used a TEasy Strike
It was a very simple install, solderless too. Also heard great things about the TE Kitty as well.
I think both of them are out of stock at the moment though. :/

QisTopTier

XisBannedTier
kunonabi said:
3kkkshabbat.jpg

Parallax Scroll said:
damn solar your tier system is complicated. i just base it on which characters i think are cool.
I'll never do something like this from scratch again. This kind of list will be a sort of template if I ever rate fighters again.
_dementia said:
Team Corgi?

Dude that's a Shiba Inu
I see Ein from Cowboy Bebop. It must be my baka gaijin eyes because I know it's based on the Shiba Inu haha.
QisTopTier said:
Well first of all I would suggest not having ammy on point like ever >.>

You linked too many teams and my mind got overloaded on what you wanted. Plus like everything had a few things that irked me >.<
Trish, Doom(dat tier) and Spencer are vets that I want to pick up and learn properly for Ultimate. Nova, Strider and Frank bring something new to the table and I want to experiment with them.

Amateratsu will be on any the teams I make. Also, we've got different fighting styles. I'll never be a pure zoner and I can't sit back annoying my opponent for the whole match either.
Frantic said:
I just want to nitpick and say that Spencer should have a 5 on damage output. His base damage is one of the HIGHEST in the game, and he can do over 600k on a meterless combo. With the right assists, he can push it over 900k. As for mixups... a five is pushing it, imo. He has good mixups, but they're ALL assist reliant because otherwise they're very transparent. Even more so than simple teleport j.S or something. He's also really, really simple to pick up and learn, so a 3 in execution is pushing it.

Also, I do not agree on Dante having a five in execution barrier. At all. And you should give him at least a four in assist options. Jam Session is one of the most useful assists for zoning teams outside of Haggar/Tron, and his Weasal Shot is a decent assist for left/right mixups.
omg I messed up on Dante, but it is corrected. I kinda stopped after a while lol. Spencer's mixups feel right if only because combofiend regularly opens people up with him. His tech could get even better if more brains were working in the character as opposed to just him. His damage is also easily a four, but he doesn't usually TOD a character without She Hulk or Tasky helping him in the damage department. He isn't known for wiping out Wesker in a single shot without DHC glitch, but his damage is FANTASTIC regardless. Spencer, Taskmaster and Doom are the only three characters who more or less get a 4.5 on the damage scale for me. They are close, but they don't quite cut it without XF like Viper or Zero can(I'm taking real world performance, theory AND rate of likelihood into account here).

Oh, and I put him at a 3 if only because he hasn't been learned by many folks at the highest level despite his tools. I think this will change in ultimate as more people pick him up though. I'm not changing the list much more than that, but Spidey, Haggar and Jill don't feel right(thanks to the lack of fighting game tech from the FGC).
FSLink said:
And SolarPowered, that's probably the most accurate tier list I've seen for vanilla.
Thanks

It is not perfect, but it is pretty nice and I'm proud of it for the most part.

FSLink

Banned
Hm, with the MMX alts, and all the Megaman Classic teasing in the endings and in the new Days of Future Past stage, and he's so far not a Heroes and Heralds card like X is... makes me think that classic will be the DLC Megaman representative. And he's a MvC veteran too.

Though at this rate I'm expecting them to still troll and put in Starforce instead or something.
I'm personally hoping for Classic Megaman and Roll (TvC version with changes) if we get any additional DLC characters. We probably will get some DLC since they seem so stubborn to keep Jill and Shuma buyable, only reason to do that instead of giving them for free is to give value to DLC characters (why would you buy them if you could wait for the next version where they'll be included?)

Gravijah

QisTopTier said:
Q is the best character in any fighting game, if his 3rd strike version was in mvc3 he would still win. Just copy paste mugen style.

oh shit i used to read your name as "Qis Top Tier"

QisTopTier

XisBannedTier
Gravijah said:
oh shit i used to read your name as "Qis Top Tier"
Wtf is a Qis?

Trish, Doom(dat tier) and Spencer are vets that I want to pick up and learn properly for Ultimate. Nova, Strider and Frank bring something new to the table and I want to experiment with them.

Amateratsu will be on any the teams I make. Also, we've got different fighting styles. I'll never be a pure zoner and I can't sit back annoying my opponent for the whole match either.

Lol the main problem is you only want to build around Tier listing when a team formula throws that out the window at times.

If you absolutely must go off tiers.

Do Strider/Ammy/Spencer or Strider/Doom*beam*/Nova It's okay having a team with no ammy wont kill you xD But if you MUST play ammy then replace doom with her.

I'll fill in for dahbomb!

So ok, in UMVC3 it's like more changed in the balance, right? So Ryu's fireballs are inviso and explode. Phoenix got nerfed like she has to fly to do stuff in the air. Also, you mash to make hypers better.

VERGIL WILL BE TOP TIIIIIIIIIIIIIIEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEERRRRRRRRRRRRRRR!!!!!!!!

4gamer has a huge article with lots of screens and vids. They even have the new art for the returning characters in decent resolution. They need to fix the link to morrigan's art though as it links to her vanilla art.

http://www.4gamer.net/games/137/G013710/20111107062/
http://www.4gamer.net/games/137/G013710/20111107062/index_2.html

I'm still in the process of watching the vids but in the 1st link I really like that Trish combo. And Cap in the corner with an otg assit, plus one meter does a shit ton of damage.

QisTopTier said:
Wtf is a Qis?

Lol the main problem is you only want to build around Tier listing when a team formula throws that out the window at times.

If you absolutely must go off tiers.

Do Strider/Ammy/Spencer or Strider/Doom*beam*/Nova It's okay having a team with no ammy wont kill you xD But if you MUST play ammy then replace doom with her.
I could go with....

Strider/Doom/Ammy

... and I could keep her as an anchor instead. I anticipated that you'd want me to take advantage of the classic and absurdly powerful teleport mixup that is coming from Vanilla. I may take advantage of it, but we'll see how things turn out. I'm mostly depending on Ammy's buffed beads to do a decent job of zoning if she in first slot, but the Strider/Doom team has way too many awesome teams with Spencer, Ammy and Nova as available anchors.
Jinfash said:
Vagina in Arabic. True story.
I read Q's name as Qis-top tier at first and now I know why it felt weird reading it that way.

smurfx

get some go again
hahaha @ all the banned users. looks like we won't see dahbomb writing long love letters on here once he gets his hands on virgil. anyways udon taskmaster and ghost rider alt will be mine.

koryuken

devastatorprime said:
4gamer has a huge article with lots of screens and vids. They even have the new art for the returning characters in decent resolution. They need to fix the link to morrigan's art though as it links to her vanilla art.

I'm still in the process of watching the vids but in the 1st link I really like that Trish combo. And Cap in the corner with an otg assit, plus one meter does a shit ton of damage.

Cant find the trish vid? Can you post a direct link? Pretty please :)

QisTopTier

XisBannedTier
SolarPowered said:
I could go with....

Strider/Doom/Ammy

... and I could keep her as an anchor instead. I anticipated that you'd want me to take advantage of the classic and absurdly powerful teleport mixup that is coming from Vanilla. I may take advantage of it, but we'll see how things turn out. I'm mostly depending on Ammy's buffed beads to do a decent job of zoning if she in first slot, but the Strider/Doom team has way too many awesome teams with Spencer, Ammy and Nova as available anchors.
I don't like ammy and doom together with strider just cause they are both gonna end up doing the same thing. It worked with clockwork in MVC3 cause he ran Phoenix and he just used the other two to stock up meter. I don't really like the idea of that outside of phoenix.

Let me put it this way, you should want to try and make it so your 1st and 3rd guy can anchor if the need comes. You sure ammy is going to be up for that with the nerfed air dash? Also look at it this way. Can they all help each other out with their assist at the same time. With out overlapping uses or not being that strong if they get stuck together

devastatorprime said:

Maybe that's the joke.

(Morgan never changed her sprite, maybe now she doesn't change art)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom