• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Ultimate Marvel vs. Capcom 3 |OT4| Nothing Stops This Patch!

Frantic

Canceling Helm Breaker is one of those things that puts Theory Dante near the top, but is next to impossible to do in a real match(and if you tried it, it's more likely to get you killed than win you any games). While I don't doubt people can get consistent with it in training mode or combos, doing it in neutral isn't worth it - if you're not accounting for the right height, or if there's more hitstop than you were expecting, you could fuck it up super easily and get bopped for your troubles.

#1 thing I want to integrate into my Dante neutral game: using fullscreen reverb shock xx fireworks.
I've started doing that more often, since I've managed to get semi-consistent. I'd do it more if I didn't play online(since consistency goes out the window online). It's also nice when you're trying to hit someone with Reverb Shock, but it whiffs because they jumped or dashed back and you're open for attack, but Fireworks comes out and bops them. Another great thing to integrate into your neutral is s.H > Weasel Shot on whiff. It's really strong against ground based characters, and if they don't have a whole lot of mobility, or assists to counter it, it's really hard for them to deal with. If they block it on the ground, it's free pressure and mixups, too(unless it's Haggar, but that's par for the course). Hell, s.H to the straight shots isn't that bad, either. I've stuffed Chris' Magnum with it a few times(preemptively, anyways).

In other news, yesterday I blocked a shit ton of Zero incoming mixups that I don't see anyone block and felt myself super hard, while today I couldn't block Thor's tridash j.L to save my life(it crossed up half the time, so it's honestly pretty hard to block, but it still felt bad, man). OTZ

Still, I played the Thor(who was pretty good, and ran Thor/Dorm/Shuma) with point Strider, and it was an experience. Most of the games were won with XF2/3 Dante, but the fact I managed to kill Thor quite a number of times with Strider is a win in my book. Baby damage vs 1.25 million health, aka 6 combos to kill. It's been a while since I played point Strider, so it was good experience. Really need to get consistent with his double-jump instant overhead j.Hs though - it's too good not to have.

Azoth

Banned
Dante can bold cancel his helm breaker on landing, dash cancel his helm breaker on landing, and airplay cancel it right before landing in an identical way that eliminates the recovery. All of that makes it very + on block, but it's all 1 frame IIRC.

FSLink

Banned
Anybody know what the notation is for the hard tag combo with Doom after Nova/Spencer crumple? They keep falling out for me before the 2nd rep.

JeTmAn81

Anybody know what the notation is for the hard tag combo with Doom after Nova/Spencer crumple? They keep falling out for me before the 2nd rep.

How long you can combo with Doom depends on how long the preceding combo was. Hitstun does apply here. Usually I don't see Doom get more than two reps.

FSLink

Banned
How long you can combo with Doom depends on how long the preceding combo was. Hitstun does apply here. Usually I don't see Doom get more than two reps.
Ah, so it's like the Spencer hard tag, so two reps with a smaller combo, otherwise just do 1 rep.

What is everyone's thoughts on this team vs team Nemo? I feel like they're pretty similar but Doom is more solid not just on point, but as an assist for Spencer and Nova for incoming, and it's easier to call too. Bolts on the other hand, provides lockdown which is pretty handy, whether it's to snipe out the opponent's assist or set them up for Nova or Spencer shenanigans. I think the unfamiliarity of Bolts vs Plasma Beam gets me ton of birthdays I shouldn't too, haha.

Vice

Ah, so it's like the Spencer hard tag, so two reps with a smaller combo, otherwise just do 1 rep.

What is everyone's thoughts on this team vs team Nemo? I feel like they're pretty similar but Doom is more solid not just on point, but as an assist for Spencer and Nova for incoming, and it's easier to call too. Bolts on the other hand, provides lockdown which is pretty handy, whether it's to snipe out the opponent's assist or set them up for Nova or Spencer shenanigans. I think the unfamiliarity of Bolts vs Plasma Beam gets me ton of birthdays I shouldn't too, haha.

In practice it's much more stable. Doom leaves less room for errors and it accomplishes the same thing on all of the relavent characters in the game. If you can do the same thing but with less effort the road with less effort is usually the way to go in Marvel. Also, because Doom leaves faster it's safer.

Leaves less room for throw/command throw shenanigans though.

I'm learning team Clockw0rk. It's pretty fun, is there anything I should know about Vergil/Strider? I can do the hightime to vajra confirm, occasionally in a real match, and judgement cut+vajra combo extensions already.

FSLink

Banned
Bit of practice in training room and I got the Doom stuff down off a short combo, somewhat longer combo, and off of Nova's air grab. It's pretty easy, extending Doom's combos with Nova or Spencer is very similar to extending with Vergil's Rapid Slash so I got it down fast.

Is comboing off of High Time + Vajra just a tight link? Can't ever get that down.

FSLink

Banned
Perfected Terry Bogard online, then won a second time only for him to switch to Morrigan on point and beat me 5 in a row. :( I respect his play and quick adaption but man he taunts/teabags and complains about Zero a lot. :p oh well.

Vice

Bit of practice in training room and I got the Doom stuff down off a short combo, somewhat longer combo, and off of Nova's air grab. It's pretty easy, extending Doom's combos with Nova or Spencer is very similar to extending with Vergil's Rapid Slash so I got it down fast.

Is comboing off of High Time + Vajra just a tight link? Can't ever get that down.

It's strict timing for the vajra call. Once you get that down a cr.m or standign m will catch them.

Perfected Terry Bogard online, then won a second time only for him to switch to Morrigan on point and beat me 5 in a row. :( I respect his play and quick adaption but man he taunts/teabags and complains about Zero a lot. :p oh well.

I remember the very first time I fought him and I coincidentally picked the exact same team. I play a different order though. I beat his ass twice and then he barely squeezed out a couple wins and then crushed me a third time. He then proceeded to talk shit about how to actually use the team or something. I was like.... dude... you won one more than me.

I love that team though, but I use it as a gimmicky Dante team. Permanent devil trigger. Shit is mad fun.

FSLink

Banned
I remember the very first time I fought him and I coincidentally picked the exact same team. I play a different order though. I beat his ass twice and then he barely squeezed out a couple wins and then crushed me a third time. He then proceeded to talk shit about how to actually use the team or something. I was like.... dude... you won one more than me.

I love that team though, but I use it as a gimmicky Dante team. Permanent devil trigger. Shit is mad fun.
He's fun to play in person, played a set with him using team Nemo. His Strider is damn good offline, and online it's not much different. He's pretty chill and wouldn't have guessed he was the same guy who used to send me hate mail.
But yeah he got teabag friendly when I dropped my XF3 Dante comeback. I do use Zero May Cry so I'm used to it but c'mon man, haha.
The connection was surprisingly pretty damn good with him though (5 bars) , I wanted to play more. Can be hard finding more than 3-4 bars from Hawaii.

Sigmaah

Yo Link, I was dodging ranked matches cause after the first one, the Lag was OD and didn't wanna play in that. I think it might've been me tho lmao.

Is quackbot a good/known player? We played 3 matches yesterday, I beat him twice, he beat me once then T-bagged me like a mad man. I was like what the fuck? Seriously? Get into a match with him today, bop his shit, tbagged/taunted at the end like crazy and didn't give him the runback.

Dudes be catching feelings over marvel.

Dahbomb

He does play Haggar too so maybe that's his alt team.

And how you gonna post on here and not come on Skype? I had to tell you something important in person. Now I am going to bed...

Sigmaah

He does play Haggar too so maybe that's his alt team.

And how you gonna post on here and not come on Skype? I had to tell you something important in person. Now I am going to bed...

I was out the whole time bro! Just got home. I check the usual threads on my phone lmao, tell me tomorrow!

Yo Link, I was dodging ranked matches cause after the first one, the Lag was OD and didn't wanna play in that. I think it might've been me tho lmao.

Is quackbot a good/known player? We played 3 matches yesterday, I beat him twice, he beat me once then T-bagged me like a mad man. I was like what the fuck? Seriously? Get into a match with him today, bop his shit, tbagged/taunted at the end like crazy and didn't give him the runback.

Dudes be catching feelings over marvel.

C'mon dawg

He can hold that shit, dude felt himself after one win and I didn't even tbag or anything our first couple games. Just being friendly little me. He didn't ask for a runback, I just didn't play him in ranked anymore. Plus my connection is straight fucked right now.

Haha, I understand. It's what most people do anyway. I personally just like giving someone as many rematches as they want so I can curbstomp them over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over.

I just wanna take their damn soul and crush their spirits.

And then send them a "ggs" at the end of it all. The hatemail is usually pretty amazing.

Doing it in real life is the best though.

Neoxon

Now do you guys want more Guardians in MvC4?

On-topic, I've learned this week that my muscle memory for UMvC3 never goes away.

Dahbomb

I can settle for Starlord and Groot. Groot can be a fancy zoning grappler type character.

But these characters have to compete with other more known Marvel characters like Cyclops, Emma Frost, Ms. Marvel, Thanos, Black Widow who didn't make the cut.

Neoxon

I can settle for Starlord and Groot. Groot can be a fancy zoning grappler type character.

But these characters have to compete with other more known Marvel characters like Cyclops, Emma Frost, Ms. Marvel, Thanos, Black Widow who didn't make the cut.
Marvel's most likely gonna downplay the X-Men in spite of Fox (so we'll probably just get Wolverine, Deadpool, Storm, & Magneto....maybe Sentinel if Capcom begs hard enough). Black Widow, Ms./Captain Marvel, & Thanos are guaranteed.

I'd go as far as to say Star-Lord & Groot are safe bets seeing how GotG is about to become an A-list franchise.

This game makes everyone a scumbag.

Or more precisely.... you have to have an inner scumbag to keep playing the game.

Yeah, seriously. I was playing against a Ghost Rider that was giving me a hard time (yes, I have problems againt GR, I'm that bad) and, when he killed both Wright and Frank, he started teabagging like crazy. What the hell, mate?
Then Spencer came in and I killed his whole team. He must've been salty as hell by the end of the match.

FSLink

Banned
I imagine Star Lord with some quirky movement options and stun guns/bombs/projectiles, and Groot as a non shitty Nemesis. Gamora and Drax can show up in cameos/stages/Lv3s.
I'd also love if Cosmo and Adam Warlock made into the games somehow too. Adam Warlock could have a fun moveset and Cosmo could have a cute cameo somewhere in the game.

Neoxon

I imagine Star Lord with some quirky movement options and stun guns/bombs/projectiles, and Groot as a non shitty Nemesis. Gamora and Drax can show up in cameos/stages/Lv3s.
I'd also love if Cosmo and Adam Warlock made into the games somehow too. Adam Warlock could have a fun moveset and Cosmo could have a cute cameo somewhere in the game.
Or, knowing Marvel, Drax would replace X-23, Groot would replace Sentinel, & Gamora would be Marvel's answer to Dante.

Dahbomb

I'm not talking all 40+ moves, I mean in the sense that Gamora would have a variety of guns plus her Godslayer sword.
Then that would just make her another Deadpool type character ie. guns + swords character.

Although truth be told the sword normals of DP aren't that well implemented.

There isn't really anything interesting you can do with either Gamora or Draxx in terms of playstyle. Yeah sure you could give them cool gadgets and weapons but you can give that to RR and Starlord too. They don't have special abilities of their own that stand out. Dante even without all his weapons still has an air dash, a teleport, bold cancel/jump cancel and Devil Trigger.

Dahbomb

I can't see Draxx being anything other than a grappler big body type character.

MAYBE a faster sword normals type grappler but a grappler nonetheless. I mean the actor who plays is a wrestler FFS.

Vice

I can't see Draxx being anything other than a grappler big body type character.

MAYBE a faster sword normals type grappler but a grappler nonetheless. I mean the actor who plays is a wrestler FFS.
Have to draw from his comic roots to make him any fun though. Iirc, he has minor psycic and energy related powers. Combined with those knive you get a new Psylocke with a command grab.

Dahbomb

Have to draw from his comic roots to make him any fun though. Iirc, he has minor psycic and energy related powers. Combined with those knive you get a new Psylocke with a command grab.
I would rather just have Psylocke than Draxx.

The best part is that you cant even kick people from lobbies so you can't nip that shit in the bud.

At least Nitsuma isn't making more fighters.
Be truthful: do you think SFIV is more fun than Marvel? Or, if you had to choose for only one of these games to have existed in your life, would you be more glad for SFIV over Marvel?

Dahbomb

I don't know why SF4 was even brought into it.

Bad features or lack of them are terrible no matter what game or genre it is. SF4 got a lot of its bad stuff fixed due to numerous updates but it's still not up to snuff feature wise with other games. It's the most popular and well known FG out now yet its missing basic features.

At least Nitsuma didn't have his name attached to the debacle known as SFxT.

Top Bottom