• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Ultimate Marvel vs. Capcom 3 |OT4| Nothing Stops This Patch!

Question to Dahbomb.

Do you think the Flocker vs Justin Wong match in winners cost Chris G in Grand finals?

I am asking this because Justin's storm was not able to open up Flocker once all set with tri dash low, so he went to overhead like 4-6 times in a row near the end.

In the Justin vs Chris G's set Justin got very critical hits at important times on Chris with tri dash low. You think Chris watch that Justin/Flocker set and just assumed Justin was going to go overhead from there on out or was Chris G's reactions/decisions just bad due to the nerves.

This cross my head during the match, but I never posted about it.

Dahbomb

The Flocker match had little to no weight on the ChrisG/Justin match. Justin went low a few times and ChrisG blocked them too. Plus you would think the FChamp match was something that ChrisG was paying more attention too.

The Storm mix up is still a mix up and people always have the overhead in the back of their mind.

The Flocker match had little to no weight on the ChrisG/Justin match. Justin went low a few times and ChrisG blocked them too. Plus you would think the FChamp match was something that ChrisG was paying more attention too.

The Storm mix up is still a mix up and people always have the overhead in the back of their mind.

True about the Champ match being more recent, but I've watch the Marvel GF 3 times now, and it seems to me that Chris was way more worried about the high than the low which is really really really really fucking strange.

Dahbomb

It's not strange at all, ChrisG is always hyper aware of these types of things which is both a strength and a weakness.

You see how many times he X factored to save Morrigan? Quite a few times she was probably not going to be punished but ChrisG was accounted for that 5% chance that the other player might go for it. It's hyper situational awareness.

ChrisG thought that Justin was mix it up after he blocked low once. Respect was given. Also sometimes after Akuma Tatsu he could be holding up back and got clipped which happens a lot against Justin.

Dahbomb

Just finished watching the Justin post-EVO interview on Live on Three:

*He had been saving Storm on point against ChrisG for 6 months. He had wanted to pull out that strat against ChrisG many times at majors but he was looking at the big picture which was EVO... and it paid off big time.

*The theory behind Storm on point was that Justin wanted to deny ChrisG having meter from making Wolverine block fireballs and Missiles. Storm's superior mobility and float allows him to evade fireballs and missiles to time out the Astral Vision. He said that once the battle came down to no AV Morrigan he was comfortable in that fight because he had Akuma Tatsu and Storm's mobility. He also said that he can punish AV activation with Storm's Element super which also cuts down her AV time by 30%... it's not about the damage it's about denying ChrisG the meter which is fundamental to his team (even Vergil uses the meter).

*Justin said that he also had a bunch of strats that he only used at EVO and never before. He pointed out his various punishes on the Vergil assist against ChrisG as Wolverine and Akuma which he wasn't doing before.

*He said that he got a lot of practice with people playing Morrigan + Doom to help prep him against ChrisG at EVO. He specifically mentioned NerdJosh and Helix who helped him prepare the match up with Storm on point. He said it's really hard to find good Morrigan + Doom to practice against because only ChrisG can play it at that level.

*Justin Wong mentions the decision he made to snap out Phoenix during the time out situation against him and FChamp. He said that he didn't know if that was going to work out in his favor but it did end up working out.

*Justin's favorite match in top 8 was Insayne and RayRay. He said it was very "fair and beautiful".

*Justin elaborated on his "I saved Marvel" statement. He said that he wanted to make a statement that you don't need top tiers to win (he referred to Zero, Morrigan, Doom, Vergil as characters people hate seeing and thus stunting the growth of the game) and referenced other players who do extremely well despite not using those top tier characters. He said that MVC3 is an extremely creative game and he loves watching all the various techs, teams and combos.

Zissou

Just finished watching the Justin post-EVO interview on Live on Three:

*He had been saving Storm on point against ChrisG for 6 months. He had wanted to pull out that strat against ChrisG many times at majors but he was looking at the big picture which was EVO... and it paid off big time.

*The theory behind Storm on point was that Justin wanted to deny ChrisG having meter from making Wolverine block fireballs and Missiles. Storm's superior mobility and float allows him to evade fireballs and missiles to time out the Astral Vision. He said that once the battle came down to no AV Morrigan he was comfortable in that fight because he had Akuma Tatsu and Storm's mobility. He also said that he can punish AV activation with Storm's Element super which also cuts down her AV time by 30%... it's not about the damage it's about denying ChrisG the meter which is fundamental to his team (even Vergil uses the meter).

*Justin said that he also had a bunch of strats that he only used at EVO and never before. He pointed out his various punishes on the Vergil assist against ChrisG as Wolverine and Akuma which he wasn't doing before.

*He said that he got a lot of practice with people playing Morrigan + Doom to help prep him against ChrisG at EVO. He specifically mentioned NerdJosh and Helix who helped him prepare the match up with Storm on point. He said it's really hard to find good Morrigan + Doom to practice against because only ChrisG can play it at that level.

*Justin Wong mentions the decision he made to snap out Phoenix during the time out situation against him and FChamp. He said that he didn't know if that was going to work out in his favor but it did end up working out.

*Justin's favorite match in top 8 was Insayne and RayRay. He said it was very "fair and beautiful".

*Justin elaborated on his "I saved Marvel" statement. He said that he wanted to make a statement that you don't need top tiers to win (he referred to Zero, Morrigan, Doom, Vergil as characters people hate seeing and thus stunting the growth of the game) and referenced other players who do extremely well despite not using those top tier characters. He said that MVC3 is an extremely creative game and he loves watching all the various techs, teams and combos.

Thanks for the write-up. Other players seem so lazy in comparison with Justin, haha. Do you have a link to the actual interview?

JohnPauliuk

Neo Member
Justin's interview really inspired me to work really hard on my Ryu/Shuma team. I've been trying to find a copy of the UMVC3 bible to compare frame data between Denjin Ryu and normal Ryu for more optimal stuff and find a third character to help make Ryu more of the Ryu described on the first page of this thread.

I-hate-u

Its okay Beef. ChrisG will every major he attends in the upcoming year. Justin Wong victory has probably motivated Champ and him to work even harder.

Dahbomb

In a perfect world there would be a Marvel patch and Yipes would've won EVO with Iron Man on his team with a theme that doesn't suck ass.

Azure J

Can someone please tell me where all of my Marvel execution went? Tried messing around with the game after EVO finals and I'm so sloppy it hurt me personally. I can't FADC Seismos, can't land my old Dante combos consistently, and felt stuck with a lot of things I took for granted back in 2012... Movement is good though.

Meanwhile, I'm better than I've ever been in Melee/Project M and can handle characters I never would have looked at in that game based on the executional requirements previously.

Can someone please tell me where all of my Marvel execution went? Tried messing around with the game after EVO finals and I'm so sloppy it hurt me personally. I can't FADC Seismos, can't land my old Dante combos consistently, and felt stuck with a lot of things I took for granted back in 2012... Movement is good though.

Meanwhile, I'm better than I've ever been in Melee/Project M and can handle characters I never would have looked at in that game based on the executional requirements previously.
No clue. This stuff is like riding a bike for me. I get right back into it.

prog

Neo Member
Dropping Storm again, picking up Dorm. EVO was an eyeopener, I love the tech the pair have, but I need a closer.

Back to Skrull/Dorm/Strange.

Vice

Wolverine/Dorm/Doom, Strange, or Sentinel?

I feel like messing around with the pair of Wolverine and Dormamu. Trying to figure out an anchor and which assist to use, in the case of Doom.

Dropping Storm again, picking up Dorm. EVO was an eyeopener, I love the tech the pair have, but I need a closer.

Back to Skrull/Dorm/Strange.

Man, that team looks rough. IMO, sub out Strange and put Sentinel in. He serves a similar purpose but is a more intimidating anchor.

Are your PSN or DBM?

Dahbomb

Did we ever recommend that hyper screen input freeze glitch fix in the patch?

Because it was cringe worthy watching FChamp get a LVL3 instead of a LVL1 in Losers Finals which resulted in his loss in the final game.

I am assuming this part of the list was supposed to mention that:

Input reading changed: holding forward/back is no longer a forward/back input in terms of moves. Example: holding back, and then doing qcb, currently gives one a reverse dragon punch motion. In general, directional input buffering is toned down a bit.

Though I don't think it's the same thing.

FSLink

Banned
You think sentinel is a better anchor than Strange?
You just have to upback in the corner against Strange and carefully tech grabs. People get opened up by anchor Strange by staying midscreen and pressing buttons. XF2 Strange + Assist is pretty good but I feel XF Sent is still better.

I've been working on Zero/Morrigan/Dante lately after you guys mentioned it. My Vergil is bad compared to my Zero and Dante and I like zoning. Playing casuals against top players at Curly Mustache South makes me realize my Vergil is hella free lol so I've been messing with different characters on second. Mostly Sentinel.
A lot of my wins were XF3 Dante actually. (or Zero once people snapbacked my Dante once they realized it was a threat, not knowing I had an XF3 Zero too). I got to agree with everyone that Shadow Blade is better than Dark Harmonizer on this team.

You just have to upback in the corner against Strange and carefully tech grabs. People get opened up by anchor Strange by staying midscreen and pressing buttons. XF2 Strange + Assist is pretty good but I feel XF Sent is still better.
I'm just wondering cause I've always thought they were about even depending on the situation.

FSLink

Banned
I'm just wondering cause I've always thought they were about even depending on the situation.
Sentinel at least has armor and a command grab that leads to combos. All Strange gets is Spell of Vishanti unless he has glyphs set up in the corner to OTG, and against better anchors he's gonna just get pressured over and over.
He's a decent anchor but I feel most of my Strange comebacks are due to people not knowing the matchup vs his strengths as a character/anchor.

Basically, what FSLink said. Dr. Strange only ever makes comebacks outside of the entry mixup when you are a fool or have chippable health. Sentinel destroys teams through high risk high reward mixups.

Did we ever recommend that hyper screen input freeze glitch fix in the patch?

Because it was cringe worthy watching FChamp get a LVL3 instead of a LVL1 in Losers Finals which resulted in his loss in the final game.

I am assuming this part of the list was supposed to mention that:

Though I don't think it's the same thing.
That was the intention of that section, yes.

Azoth

Banned
XF Sentinel is a much stronger character than most people give him credit for.

Even if you don't count all the benefits he has in terms of being able to go into XF Comebacks(HSF means the opponent can't call assists against Anchor Sent when he has XF on deck, Hard Drive means he has a MUCH better chance of getting started than most anchors coming in to a mixup, etc), even his XF neutral game is very strong.

In XF, Sentinel cM becomes essentially unreactable. Especially XF3. This is important, because a good player can react to it without XF, some of the time.

In any level of XF, Sentinel can confirm off of jLH xx Fly, Unfly jLM sL etc. This means in any level of XF, Sentinel can confirm on you if he lands a fuzzy. This gives Sentinel actually high/low mixups, when in XF. Any time you block a jM/jH/jS as Sentinel lands, sentinel can use that huge frame advantage to hi/low you with his great dash speed and fuzzies, etc.

In XF3, if you don't pushblock Sentinel, he can essentially keep you in blockstun 24/7, due to the huge blockstun on many of his heavier attacks. If you DO pushblock, you'll put yourself in a mixup position if he reads it. If you pushblock a late jM from sentinel, he has plenty of time to dash up to you, and do cM, jL, or command throw.

tl ; dr - When in XF, Sentinel goes from a character with some serious flaws, to a very, very strong character(Even in the comparison of other characters with XF) with screen control, low risk-high reward mixups, etc.

He keeps the problem that he has a hard time chasing air characters, and a smart player with an air-mobile character can waste most of sentinel's XF time so long as they stay high in the air, block jM boots, and tech airthrows. But against characters with bad air mobility, XF Sentinel can and will push them into the corner and bulldoze them. Strange can't really do that.

And he also keeps the fact that as soon as XF ends, and as soon as Sentinel loses his "I can hard-drive or HSF with impunity because I can XFC it" card, he becomes hugely more manageable, and undoubtedly mid-tier or worse in that moment.

I need your opinion Marvel Gaf.

I've been considering getting Spencer in my team for the Nova/Spencer duo. However, it'd mean losing Vajra and XF3 Strider from my current team in exchange for the ability of actually being able to kill and because of character loyalty I'd be keeping Rocket Raccoon in my team instead of going full Team Nemo.

Does a Nova/Spencer/RR team seem worth it to you guys?

Vice

I've been considering getting Spencer in my team for the Nova/Spencer duo. However, it'd mean losing Vajra and XF3 Strider from my current team in exchange for the ability of actually being able to kill and because of character loyalty I'd be keeping Rocket Raccoon in my team instead of going full Team Nemo.

It is. The ability to kill is very important. I've been learning Soencer since before Evo for that reason. Nova/Strider is good but the lack of kills is a problem.

even though Nova/Rocket/Strider shoudl have crazy resets those aren't enough anymore. But, at the same time unless you're trying to be a top player there's still a lot you can do with that team. Nova/Strider got top 32 at Evo after all.

You could swap out Nova for Vergil or Doom to fix the damage problem though. Veril with spitfire twice or Doom with log trap seem like strong combinations.

Azoth

Banned
In terms of fun, of course, you should do whatever you have more fun with. That's the main reason I keep Sentinel.

In terms of competitive success, yes, you need to be able to kill off of a start of the round touch. JWong said something along the lines of, "if your team can't kill off the first hit, you need a new team".

The idea behind it is, if your team CAN kill off the first hit, you have a ~25% chance of winning the match entirely off of that first hit. Their character dies, 50% chance of mixing up the incoming character, kill or use XF to kill and build meter if necessary, 50% chance of mixing up the last character, kill or use excess meter from previous XF combo to kill, etc. For a long time, that was justin's basic flowchart.

Nova/Spencer/RR sounds like it could accomplish that pretty well.

Azure J

No clue. This stuff is like riding a bike for me. I get right back into it.

I think it's just getting over how much time has passed since I did all this stuff regularly. I'm seeing improvement already, but I should probably stick with it longer so I get crisp again.

Do you still kill without IP loops? That seems to be the major incentive for putting Spencer there.

Well I know for a fact they at least have 1mil raw tag combos not counting TACs? It's not Thor killing but 1mil is enough for most of the cast.

Azoth

Banned
You're not gonna have much damage scaling, considering spitfire doesn't cause much. So even a DHC into Bionic Manuevers -> 80k -> 80k -> whatever would be enough for most of the cast, as far as I know.

Also, anybody on XBL want to get some games in? Feels like a modok day. Send me a message @ Mercurial Hg

You're not gonna have much damage scaling, considering spitfire doesn't cause much. So even a DHC into Bionic Manuevers -> 80k -> 80k -> whatever would be enough for most of the cast, as far as I know.

Also, anybody on XBL want to get some games in? Feels like a modok day. Send me a message @ Mercurial Hg
You should also ask in the FGW thread, since a lot of players don't visit the OT.

Azoth

Banned
If they don't post here, then I don't know them whatsoever, and if I wanted to play people I don't know whatsoever then I could just do Player/Ranked searched, so, not really any point to that.

Sigmaah

If they don't post here, then I don't know them whatsoever, and if I wanted to play people I don't know whatsoever then I could just do Player/Ranked searched, so, not really any point to that.

I can play some games if you still want, I still send u invs and messages saying wanna play but u never answer back... Come on dawg.

So, what's the notation for Spencer's BnBs? I'm always getting hit by them so I kinda have an idea of how it looks but I don't actually know how to do them :|

JohnPauliuk

Neo Member
So after my EVO experience, I've become determined to make a better point Ryu team. I'm open to any suggestions for a team, I'd like to make him more viable.

FSLink

Banned
So after my EVO experience, I've become determined to make a better point Ryu team. I'm open to any suggestions for a team, I'd like to make him more viable.
A way to extend his bnbs for one assist (Drones/OTG assists, etc) and/or Drones/Tatsu for fuzzies are musts imo. Good luck.

So is whatever->Spencer assist->boulder trap unblockable reset in the corner with Rocket Raccoon/Spencer an actual viable thing or just pure gimmick that people can actually get out off?

Midscreen BnB should be Cr. LMH xx Zip UpForward > J. MH xx Zip DownForward > J.S > J.MH xx ZipDownForward > J.S > J.MHS ZipDownForward > S xx Upgrapple.
This video by Adelheid Stark is good too.

Thank you. What about corner though? And how does one get SxxUp grapple to combo? I couldn't do it at all any time I tried :|

Top Bottom