• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Ultimate Marvel vs. Capcom 3 |OT4| Nothing Stops This Patch!

I don't know why SF4 was even brought into it.

Bad features or lack of them are terrible no matter what game or genre it is. SF4 got a lot of its bad stuff fixed due to numerous updates but it's still not up to snuff feature wise with other games. It's the most popular and well known FG out now yet its missing basic features.

At least Nitsuma didn't have his name attached to the debacle known as SFxT.

Hey, it was his question, not mine!

As for SF4, the only things I can see that it's missing are a rematch option (which would be nice), some semblance of 1P mode aside from simple Arcade, and...I dunno, someone fill me in.

SFxT will forever have my sympathy simply because of what could've been. To this day, I wish that the suits at Capcom would have left the game alone with regards to the gems/DLC.

Yes.

SF4.

UMvC3 is a bad game that happens to be fun to play. If I were to compare it to all the other fighters on the market, it is probably the worst in terms of in-game content.
You are not well, sir!

Bad features or lack of them are terrible no matter what game or genre it is. SF4 got a lot of its bad stuff fixed due to numerous updates but it's still not up to snuff feature wise with other games. It's the most popular and well known FG out now yet its missing basic features.

I brought up Ono because Beef said no more Niitsuma, and it makes sense to contrast him with the only other Calvin FG dev out there.

Frantic

This game makes everyone a scumbag.

Or more precisely.... you have to have an inner scumbag to keep playing the game.
This is the truth. My scumbaggery has increased in dividends because of this game. At this point, there is only a small part of me that refrains from teabagging/taunting when I feel myself super hard, but every once in a while, it comes free. Particularly when I make a comeback with Trish against characters solo Trish should lose free to, and especially when I make XF-less comebacks with Trish or Strider. XF-less Strider comebacks are basically the epitome of euphoria.

I had a long umvc3 session last night for the first time in about a month. My execution was still fine but damn I couldn't think fast enough for a good 5 matches. Being away from Chris for so long made me realize that he is one of the top 10 most fun characters to use in a fighting game.

Azoth

Banned
Have to draw from his comic roots to make him any fun though. Iirc, he has minor psycic and energy related powers. Combined with those knive you get a new Psylocke with a command grab.

They wouldn't. Marvel has shown that they have the (financially intelligent) viewpoint of their Movies being their #1 priority, FAR over their comic lines, at the moment. If they put Drax into a video game, it would be in a format that little kids would recognize while walking through Walmart because they saw the movie and it was super cool.

AKA, they can and will use the movie format of their characters where applicable, unless they have a fan-based reason not to, such as keeping some of the characters in line with their previous game formats(re: magfreakingneto, etc, in spite of him not having anything like Disruptor in recent movies, etc). But they're not going to upset fans of their games(re: higher revenue than their comics), or their movies(re: much higher revenue than their comics), for the sake of their comics.

But I do think Movie Groot would basically just make for a better Nemesis, and Star-Lord for a generally entertaining chris-type character that can actually move.

Also galactus always makes me lol. The only person I've seen figure out how to use him on XBL(aside from me and knives but we're chill) just mashes on Vajra and galactus basics, and whatnot, which makes him actually beatable. I wouldn't be surprised if there was some actual matchup tech to make Galactus trivial, but with the low exposure he's gotten and will continue to get, it's unlikely anyone will find or popularize it. So he'll continue to bop everyone between Noob to Pretty Good 9-1.

JohnPauliuk

Neo Member
So there is a discussion going on the SRK forums right now stating that end game teams may run this formula: Point/Morrigan/Support

Dahbomb

So there is a discussion going on the SRK forums right now stating that end game teams may run this formula: Point/Morrigan/Support
So basically they are saying end game is Morrigan/Doom with a 3rd character that can use both assists ie. Vergil. Best team in the game is ChrisG's team because it fulfills the criteria of what most people think end game would look like.

There has been quite a bit of discussion lately that Vergil anchor is not end game because team mix ups are too strong and more people giving Firebrand/Viper a second look. Teams are going to be more front loaded at the start which means that Vergil will be more played at 2nd (so he can be DC'd in). 3rd spot should be reserved to characters with top assists as they can provide impact to the game even at the start. Only exception is Strider as he can provide an assist and has more escapes than Vergil.

So basically they are saying end game is Morrigan/Doom with a 3rd character that can use both assists ie. Vergil. Best team in the game is ChrisG's team because it fulfills the criteria of what most people think end game would look like.

There has been quite a bit of discussion lately that Vergil anchor is not end game because team mix ups are too strong and more people giving Firebrand/Viper a second look. Teams are going to be more front loaded at the start which means that Vergil will be more played at 2nd (so he can be DC'd in). 3rd spot should be reserved to characters with top assists as they can provide impact to the game even at the start. Only exception is Strider as he can provide an assist and has more escapes than Vergil.

I know Zero is an amazing point character, but something I would like to see is for him to be developed as an anchor. He's ridiculous in XF3 and it would be interesting to see if it would change the game at all.

Dahbomb

It's not going to happen because he doesn't have a top assist. MAYBE #2 if your character can DHC into Sogenmu for a full combo.

Zero/Morrigan/Doom could definitely be an end game team. Buckethead from Texas already plays that team. Sogenmu with Harmonizer and Missiles is some super duper cheap shit.

Seyavesh

buckethead uses shadow blade for the CC and assist (oddly), but it's cuz his style of play is like that

i loathe shadow blade CC so much.

enzo_gt

tagged by Blackace
I just think that, if Evo taught us anything, it is that ChrisG's team is not proven to be the end of team development.
I've always felt, like in MvC2, the zoning-based teams will have their reign for a while until the rushdown becomes too strong and adaptive.

Dahbomb

What about Mags/Morri/Doom.
Very good team IMO. Probably FChamp's end game type team... either that or Morrigan/Dorm/Doom.

I just think that, if Evo taught us anything, it is that ChrisG's team is not proven to be the end of team development.
There will never be an end of team development but there is no team better than ChrisG.

What EVO taught us is that skill matters more than team composition.

FSLink

Banned
I know Zero is an amazing point character, but something I would like to see is for him to be developed as an anchor. He's ridiculous in XF3 and it would be interesting to see if it would change the game at all.
I usually rock him on anchor against other Zero teams so I have Vergil/Dante/Zero. XF3 Zero is good but it always feels like I run out of XF even when doing non Sogenmu lighting loops in the corner. It has the same time limit as Dante XF3 iirc but Zero doesn't have Devil Trigger lightning bolts to kill really fast if need be. Maybe I should try Sogenmu relaunch loops, they kill pretty fast...

It does amazing lockdown though especially against Vergil XF3 anchor with SS on.

Yeah Chris G was mindfucked by the point Storm. Maybe if he starts Doom or brings back his Akuma (I felt his Vergil didn't do much in that set) a rematch could go in his favor if he doesn't get Wong Factor'd.

smurfx

get some go again
it's crazy that magneto isn't in many of the theory end game teams. he will probably make a resurgence at some point.

Dahbomb

it's crazy that magneto isn't in many of the theory end game teams. he will probably make a resurgence at some point.
He already has, two Magnetos in top 8 EVO. He is still a top 5 character.

Magneto is also usually featured in the top 5 best teams in the game as well.

FSLink

Banned
I feel that if you have the execution, Morrigan is better and can replace him on the majority of "end game" teams. Exception being something like Magneto/Morrigan/Doom.
Though something like Zero/Magneto/Doom is still extremely good and can be better than with Morrigan depending on the matchup. Depends on matchups/playstyles really.

It's not going to happen because he doesn't have a top assist. MAYBE #2 if your character can DHC into Sogenmu for a full combo.

Zero/Morrigan/Doom could definitely be an end game team. Buckethead from Texas already plays that team. Sogenmu with Harmonizer and Missiles is some super duper cheap shit.
Vergil and Skrull don't have top assists either. I mean Vergil's assist is good but I certainly don't think it's a top assist. It seems on par with Zero's fireball assist if he's in sogenmu.

I would just love to see someone going hard with anchor Zero. Lightning everywhere just chipping your ass to death.

Dahbomb

Magneto has the advantage over Morrigan in that he can "snow ball" teams better than Morrigan can. That is Magneto can rushdown better and mix up people similar to how Wolverine can snowball a team. He is a balance between Wolverine and Morrigan which is why he is relevant despite those characters doing particular things better.

Vergil and Skrull don't have top assists either. I mean Vergil's assist is good but I certainly don't think it's a top assist. It seems on par with Zero's fireball assist if he's in sogenmu.
Skrull ideally should be played second too it's just that his lack of safe DHCs and TACs makes it better to use Doom in second. Plus the way the unblockable is set up with Sphere Flame you really want Doom in second. And for the Firebrand team the Skrull assist is essential and thus makes him suitable to be 3rd.

Vergil should be played on 2nd too ideally but it's "cheaper" to have him be 3rd. Longer more powerful X factor allows him to have a higher success rate of reverse OCVs. It's really that his anchor capabilities are out of wack with the rest of the cast which allows people to get away with playing him 3rd. His toolset is far better suited for being 2nd (Spiral Sword/DT DHCs).

Magneto has the advantage over Morrigan in that he can "snow ball" teams better than Morrigan can. That is Magneto can rushdown better and mix up people similar to how Wolverine can snowball a team. He is a balance between Wolverine and Morrigan which is why he is relevant despite those characters doing particular things better.

Skrull ideally should be played second too it's just that his lack of safe DHCs and TACs makes it better to use Doom in second. Plus the way the unblockable is set up with Sphere Flame you really want Doom in second. And for the Firebrand team the Skrull assist is essential and thus makes him suitable to be 3rd.

Vergil should be played on 2nd too ideally but it's "cheaper" to have him be 3rd. Longer more powerful X factor allows him to have a higher success rate of reverse OCVs. It's really that his anchor capabilities are out of wack with the rest of the cast which allows people to get away with playing him 3rd. His toolset is far better suited for being 2nd (Spiral Sword/DT DHCs).
I actually agree with everything you said. I just wanted to point out that I feel you don't need a good assist to be played on anchor, you just have to be a cheap ass anchor! I don't know if Zero would be as cheap as Vergil and I'm not sure we'll ever know unless someone decides to take that risk and really commit to it. It would hopefully spice things up a bit.

Dahbomb

You don't need to of course... hell I would say use Vergil on anchor no matter what!

The discussion was more going towards what the end game would look like and I merely suggested that some people think that having dedicated anchors is not as good as having front loaded teams because incoming mix ups are very strong (which is a problem for Vergil). Only exception being Strider as he supports a front loaded team, he's a top anchor and he has escape options so his optimal place is always anchor.

For example... on paper ChrisG has Vergil slotted in 3rd but effectively he plays Vergil 2nd. The reason why he has Vergil 3rd is that Doom has a better chance of escaping the mix up and he can use Doom to bring in Vergil safely with Photon Arrow Spiral Sword DHC. So ChrisG is in fact playing the theoretical end game structure that people are talking about it's just that his order is a bit weird.

FSLink

Banned
Zero can't be as cheap as Vergil anchor since he can't kill as fast and has a shorter XF time. However I do think that XF3 Zero can be cheaper if he has meter(and he doesn't necessarily needs it, it just makes his mixups and chipping ability even better) and doesn't have to go up against an entire team.

Zero can't be as cheap as Vergil anchor since he can't kill as fast and has a shorter XF time. However I do think that XF3 Zero can be cheaper if he has meter(and he doesn't necessarily needs it, it just makes his mixups and chipping ability even better) and doesn't have to go up against an entire team.
Yeah I imagine he would be like Strider. Could probably take out two characters pretty easy but would have a difficult time doing a 3v1 comeback. At least he would still be Zero once XF ran out, so he could probably play 1v1 easily. Strider does pitiful damage.

So Vergil stays the winner forever.

Dahbomb

I actually much prefer Zero in 3v1 situations over Vergil without X factor and a ton of meter.

Zero is not like Strider at all, if he gets the hit he's a major threat due to his high damage even without XF.

Zero has the advantage right now in that no one has seen anchor Zero utilized properly and its bound to catch people off guard.

A Pretty Panda

fuckin' called it, man
Hawkeye's level 3 works off a back throw in the corner. I know this by winging it and it working

Actually works midscreen too but requires effort.

I actually much prefer Zero in 3v1 situations over Vergil without X factor and a ton of meter.

Zero is not like Strider at all, if he gets the hit he's a major threat due to his high damage even without XF.

Zero has the advantage right now in that no one has seen anchor Zero utilized properly and its bound to catch people off guard.
I should clarify but goddamn I hate typing on my phone.

Ugh, I'll give it a shot. I compare zero to Strider because even though zero does high damage, it's slow as fuck. He's likely not running through a team of 3 with xf active the whole time. It's also why I said that at least once you run out of xf at least you still have zero. You'll likely get your kill if you get the touch. It's just how you play your neutral against their anchor Strider or Vergil. And in a 1v1 situation I would take Strider and Vergil's neutral over Zero's.

But damn there's a lot of variables to this. If it's 3v1, 2v1, or 1v1 and I have xf and my opponent doesn't, I would want Vergil every single time.
3v1 I have xf and so does the opponent, I still want Vergil
2v1 I have xf and so does the opponent, I want Zero or Strider if he has 3 meters
1v1 I have xf and so does the opponent, I want Zero every time.

No xf and no meter in any situation, I'd take Zero.

Fuck, I'm so tired of this phone. I might type more later since I didn't finish my thoughts but I'm in a bar and trying to get my damn drink on.

Sayah

SFXTK is a pretty amazing game. It was only marred by Capcom's dlc/gem decisions. Would have been very successful otherwise.

Also, SFIV is the most popular and well-known fighter currently in USA. Can't really make that broad statement for the rest of the planet.

In the past, I would have picked UMvC3 over SFIV. Now, the current state that UMvC3 is in online, I'll take SFIV.

Frantic

I have yet to encounter a Galactus online, so it's no different for me. Hell, the only thing I've encountered as far as the save editing goes was someone with Gold Herald Doom.

Azoth

Banned
Using galactus on XBL is much more complicated than using him on PSN. I only know of ~3 people that know how, and only 1 of those is enough of a toolbox to use him in any capacity other than "okay lol enough of that but that was funny rite?"

On PSN perhaps it's a problem, but on XBL, ranked and player matches are both very much alive and well and competitive.

SFXTK is a pretty amazing game. It was only marred by Capcom's dlc/gem decisions. Would have been very successful otherwise.

Also, SFIV is the most popular and well-known fighter currently in USA. Can't really make that broad statement for the rest of the planet.

In the past, I would have picked UMvC3 over SFIV. Now, the current state that UMvC3 is in online, I'll take SFIV.

I still play a ton of people on psn and it's fine. That's probably because I only play players matches though. I don't care for ranked. Haven't played on xbl in a while though.

Frantic

That's about right. Looks like Morrigan's level 3 might not be like others where it'll only hit one character and if it hits an assist it 'whiffs' - it seems like it might be able to hit multiple, and since it killed Dante, but continued onto Dorm, it freaked the game out and had it thinking Morrigan was still in the animation. Or something.

Speaking of glitches, I had that KO glitch where it takes some 10 seconds to go "KO" and in that time my character could dash around like an idiot but the camera wouldn't follow them. I killed with Dante's Cold Shower > THC after a level 3, and the first hit of the super killed, so I think that might trigger it. First time having that happen though in a real match, t'was kinda funny.

JeTmAn81

I've still only run into one person running the multiples glitch online. He ran Doom/Doom/Doom. It didn't go well for him.

Top Bottom