• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Ultimate Marvel vs. Capcom 3 |OT4| Nothing Stops This Patch!

Solune

So is whatever->Spencer assist->boulder trap unblockable reset in the corner with Rocket Raccoon/Spencer an actual viable thing or just pure gimmick that people can actually get out off?
I think it's pretty viable, but I think the most important thing is having an assist with Spencer to make it happen and not to mention having a competent RR. Though I gather you have more than enough experience since you main him.
[/quote]
Thank you. What about corner though? And how does one get SxxUp grapple to combo? I couldn't do it at all any time I tried :|[/QUOTE]

Corner combos should be Cr. LMH xx ZipUpForward > j.M > MH xx Upgrapple. This first part needs to be adjusted on some small characters but for the most part M should move you forward enough into the opponent that H lands deep and you can Upgrapple, sometimes you have to substitute H for Cr.H.

After the first Upgrapple you do J. QCF+S (Bionic Bomber) > MHS xx Upgrapple. To cancel S into upgrapple you have to Tiger Knee the motion so its QCF then upforward. You have to delay the upgrapple input a little bit since you are cancelling the jump frames into the move.

Depending on your assist it should be J. QCF+H to Grapple then Zip Zip Upgrapple or Bionic Bomber if your assist has enough hitstun. you'll have to figure out what works. What's your team?

Frantic

Did you guys know that if two throws become active on the same frame, they both whiff? I've noticed this a few times when I've set up start of the round throw tech options before, but this turns out to be true for normal throws vs command throws. I was holding forward against a Wesker at the start of the round, and did my usual dash OS, and he did a command throw, but the command throw whiffed even as Dante dashed forward. Also had this happen when I was mashing throw against a Spencer - he did a command grab point blank(and I know for a fact it was the grounded version, not the AA version), and my s.H came out to punish him.

It's kinda weird.

Corner combos should be Cr. LMH xx ZipUpForward > j.M > MH xx Upgrapple. This first part needs to be adjusted on some small characters but for the most part M should move you forward enough into the opponent that H lands deep and you can Upgrapple, sometimes you have to substitute H for Cr.H.

After the first Upgrapple you do J. QCF+S (Bionic Bomber) > MHS xx Upgrapple. To cancel S into upgrapple you have to Tiger Knee the motion so its QCF then upforward. You have to delay the upgrapple input a little bit since you are cancelling the jump frames into the move.

Depending on your assist it should be J. QCF+H to Grapple then Zip Zip Upgrapple or Bionic Bomber if your assist has enough hitstun. you'll have to figure out what works. What's your team?

Thanks, the team is Nova/RR/Spencer although I'm still not sure if it should be RR/Spencer or Spencer/RR. Chances are that he'll likely either have Spitfire as assist or none at all. Right now I'm just focusing on solo stuff to get the hang of him.

Played with my brother today and I really choke up when it counts. It really hits my morale when I do choke. I also can't do fireballs consistently with Morrigan. I still have a long time to go with this character and the game.

JohnPauliuk

Neo Member
It seems to me like the team would be weakened quite a bit if Ryu dies.

Is Shuma any good only backed by tatsu? I'd think Ryu/Akuma/Shuma might be a better team order.

I agree with switching the order though I am open to other team suggestions. I just want to work optimizing Ryu but not using Sent. I find that assist easy to hit.

Dahbomb

If that team had Wolverine instead of Ryu it would actually be a really threatening team. Front loaded but you could beat just about any team in the game with it.

JohnPauliuk

Neo Member
If that team had Wolverine instead of Ryu it would actually be a really threatening team. Front loaded but you could beat just about any team in the game with it.

I know but I suffer from Character Loyalty. I really want to make this character semi viable in tournament play.

Dahbomb

If you want to make him semi tournament viable then put him in front of Doom (Plasma Beam) / Vergil or Vergil/Doom.

The classic.

onionfrog

I agree with switching the order though I am open to other team suggestions. I just want to work optimizing Ryu but not using Sent. I find that assist easy to hit.
What assist were you planning on using for ryu?
I've been messing around a bit with hadoken assist THC in training mode.

1. If you've got three characters to THC with you can link any of the following things after the THC:(These all work in the corner for sure. Didn't test midscreen)
-TK Shinku Hadoken
-Relaunch into magic series. (Depending on combo length before THC)
-L or M shoryuken

2. You can aim the shinku hadoken upwards during the THC. Depending on how you direct the beam afterwards the opponent will land on a different side from you when they recover.
-If you aim up and back, you opponent will recover on the opposite side of you. (Away from the corner). You could then dash under as they are landing for a mixup. I bet someone wouldn't see this coming for sure the first time it happens. :p
-If you aim up and forward, they'll recover on the same side they were when you started the combo. Between you can the wall.

I know but I suffer from Character Loyalty. I really want to make this character semi viable in tournament play.
Then play Rayray's team

I mean I'm loyal to my characters, but I'm not stubborn. There are character combinations I can come up with that will get me ridiculous damage with Chris, but they lack the synergy that I like. Just like my brother has some stunning combos with Ryu (he's a combo monster though), but his teams aren't viable because they lack......so many things. Dude couldn't beat me until he decided to back Ryu with some better shit. He stopped focusing on 900k + combos and stepped up his neutral and mixup game.
If you want to make him semi tournament viable then put him in front of Doom (Plasma Beam) / Vergil or Vergil/Doom.

The classic.

Or this.

JohnPauliuk

Neo Member

The classic.

The only problem with this team is it very little about Ryu. Ryu will suffer a lot to very air mobile character like Morrigan, Zero, Mags, Trish and Storm. Plasma beam is good as it has a lot of durability and can help me win projectile battles and play keep away. But Vergil's assists are awful for Ryu. Vergil/Ryu/Doom is more optimal I think.

JohnPauliuk

Neo Member
Then play Rayray's team

I mean I'm loyal to my characters, but I'm not stubborn. There are character combinations I can come up with that will get me ridiculous damage with Chris, but they lack the synergy that I like. Just like my brother has some stunning combos with Ryu (he's a combo monster though), but his teams aren't viable because they lack......so many things. Dude couldn't beat me until he decided to back Ryu with some better shit. He stopped focusing on 900k + combos and stepped up his neutral and mixup game.

I like RayRay's team aside from Sent. I feel like sent is really easy to counter call and is a big target for beams. I usually beat Sent by counter calling him with Mystic Ray which is an assist I use to help my neutral which is why I gave up a character like Wesker who I use to run a lot.

Neoxon

Practiced some Wright tech I discovered on EventHubs a few days ago (the one where he can counter almost every dive kick in the game) & saw the concentrated hype that was the GotG Red Carpet Premiere.

I say today was a good day for my Mahvel side.

Azoth

Banned
I like RayRay's team aside from Sent. I feel like sent is really easy to counter call and is a big target for beams. I usually beat Sent by counter calling him with Mystic Ray which is an assist I use to help my neutral which is why I gave up a character like Wesker who I use to run a lot.

A good sentinel does not lose or struggle to projectiles or distanced zoning. For instance, RayRay doesn't. Sentinel's normals completely eliminate projectiles. Even a jL will remove a plasma beam entirely. Sentinel's hypers also completely overpower predictable zoning, with HSF or TK Hard Drive. And lastly, Sentinel has ~half screen range, with his jM, so unlike other characters such as Hulk, Sentinel only has to get within half screen of you before you can die to jM xx M Rocket Punch xx Hard Drive.

I run ___/Sentinel/Dante almost exclusively. And if you called shuma as an assist against my Sentinel, if he was second or third slot, shuma would die to THC -> XF2C or HSF -> XF3C -> Pressure.

A good Sentinel loses to rushdown, because his options are relatively slow and his hurtbox is huge.

Practiced some Wright tech I discovered on EventHubs a few days ago (the one where he can counter almost every dive kick in the game) & saw the concentrated hype that was the GotG Red Carpet Premiere.

Also that PW video was a little silly, IMO.

Many, many characters can "beat" divekicks with specific normals that outrange them. The problem is, divekicks have much longer active frames. You have to guess when wolv/doom is going to do a divekick, because you certainly can't react to their divekicks with (~6-7 frame human reaction time + 5 frame console processing + startup of his sH). It's not worth the risk/reward to use that tech, IMO, just like it's not worth trying to beat divekicks with Dante sM/sS unless you're desperate.

JohnPauliuk

Neo Member
When I said beat Sent, I meant as if both Sent and Shuma are just assists on the screen. I know I can rush Sent down. I'm saying his assist is easy to punish .

Dahbomb

Also that PW video was a little silly, IMO.

Many, many characters can "beat" divekicks with specific normals that outrange them. The problem is, divekicks have much longer active frames. You have to guess when wolv/doom is going to do a divekick, because you certainly can't react to their divekicks with (~6-7 frame human reaction time + 5 frame console processing + startup of his sH). It's not worth the risk/reward to use that tech, IMO, just like it's not worth trying to beat divekicks with Dante sM/sS unless you're desperate.
I didn't see the PW tech but beating dive kick like moves is certainly a skill that people should have in this game. While it's harder for the person on the receiving end of a dive kick like move, the reward is the same. Both characters will be getting a full combo on hit.

If it weren't for this then we wouldn't have the Justin Marvelous Wong beat out Helm Breaker with Wolverine's cr.M in clutch situation moment. Now players think twice about Helm Breakering him.

Azoth

Banned
I didn't see the PW tech but beating dive kick like moves is certainly a skill that people should have in this game. While it's harder for the person on the receiving end of a dive kick like move, the reward is the same. Both characters will be getting a full combo on hit.

If it weren't for this then we wouldn't have the Justin Marvelous Wong beat out Helm Breaker with Wolverine's cr.M in clutch situation moment. Now players think twice about Helm Breakering him.

The number of helm breakers Marvelous Wong chooses to block with wolverine is about 9000 times higher than the number of helm breakers he chooses to try and hit out of the air.

That's all I'm saying. It's neat tech, but if someone's under the impression that it's going to make them impervious to helm breakers, they're vastly mistaken.

Vice

The only problem with this team is it very little about Ryu. Ryu will suffer a lot to very air mobile character like Morrigan, Zero, Mags, Trish and Storm. Plasma beam is good as it has a lot of durability and can help me win projectile battles and play keep away. But Vergil's assists are awful for Ryu. Vergil/Ryu/Doom is more optimal I think.

Try Doom/Hawkeye, Doom/Sent or Doom/Task. Can Ryu get much off of missile pressure or combo extensions similar to Spencer or Ryu?

Edit: Putting Nova behind Ryu leads to silly unblockables with Centurion Rush assist and tatsu.

FSLink

Banned
The number of helm breakers Marvelous Wong chooses to block with wolverine is about 9000 times higher than the number of helm breakers he chooses to try and hit out of the air.

That's all I'm saying. It's neat tech, but if someone's under the impression that it's going to make them impervious to helm breakers, they're vastly mistaken.
Yeah, but it makes people second guess or it's nice "tech" to bring out against people. People don't respect Wright enough. He's bad but not the worst character in the game.

JohnPauliuk

Neo Member
Try Doom/Hawkeye, Doom/Sent or Doom/Task. Can Ryu get much off of missile pressure or combo extensions similar to Spencer or Ryu?

Edit: Putting Nova behind Ryu leads to silly unblockables with Centurion Rush assist and tatsu.

How does this lead to an unblockable since there is no low hit?

Yeah, but it makes people second guess or it's nice "tech" to bring out against people. People don't respect Wright enough. He's bad but not the worst character in the game.

I agree he's not the worst, but he's still really bad. Even Turnabout is not that deadly if you keep Advance Guarding.

FSLink

Banned
I agree he's not the worst, but he's still really bad. Even Turnabout is not that deadly if you keep Advance Guarding.
Plink dashing back in if it's a bad pushblock, having a low hitting assist, cell phone, or meter for unblockables helps a bit. I do think people get blown up more by Wright due to the player skill and unfamiliarity, not necessarily due to the strengths of the character.

Anybody here in Hawaii? Just moved here and would rather have locals to play than trying to deal with Capcom's lightspeed net code.

Sigmaah

Anyone wanna play some marvel later? Hmu on here or live, tryna get my fix in since I finally got my internet back.

GT: Sigmaah

Plink dashing back in if it's a bad pushblock, having a low hitting assist, cell phone, or meter for unblockables helps a bit. I do think people get blown up more by Wright due to the player skill and unfamiliarity, not necessarily due to the strengths of the character.

Anybody here in Hawaii? Just moved here and would rather have locals to play than trying to deal with Capcom's lightspeed net code.

Yeah, I agree with the unfamiliarity part. Every time I enter Turnabout if I can get one character down I win by doing the Steel Samurai Maya Smelting unblockable, which people can avoid by advance guarding the bullets. Crouching H not hitting low is the worst for Wright.

I don't know what tech it was but I assume it's just his standing LMH attacks. Sure they are great anti air tools but I wouldn't be trying to do it against a wolvie divekick. No good wolvie uses it anyway without some beam or back up so it's not that useful against his specifically. A much safer alternative would to just see it coming block it and throw him. The standing LMH are very good anti air's though.

FSLink

Banned
GGs Sigmaah. Tried to counterpick with different Zero teams, I think team Flocker goes great against Zero+Drones, and Vergil+Missiles is good too. Of course nothing can counterpick lag, lol. But yeah it wasn't as laggy as I thought it'd be, though it was still hilariously awful what random shit we both got hit by. Was expecting much worse.

Sigmaah

GGs Sigmaah. Tried to counterpick with different Zero teams, I think team Flocker goes great against Zero+Drones, and Vergil+Missiles is good too. Of course nothing can counterpick lag, lol. But yeah it wasn't as laggy as I thought it'd be, though it was still hilariously awful what random shit we both got hit by. Was expecting much worse.

GGs bruh. Ya Zero/Missiles is a pain in the ass to deal with especially in lag. Our matches weren't laggy until like halfway into the set. Shit was weird but fun nonetheless. I deff started to do random shit especially in frustration due to lag lmao.

I played training mode today to practice Dante combos. From Sky Dance I can tag into Morrigan and go into Shadow Servant. I wonder if I can THC after the raw tag but I don't think so.

I tried THC after Sky Dance raw tag into Morrigan. She can THC but Morrigan/Doom come out instead of Morrigan/Dante. Oh well, I should probably TAC if I get a hit with Dante.

I'm being told that Ryu/Zero will be a good shell if it gets explored.
I wonder how. His install assist would probably be pretty dope. I don't know enough about Ryu to put this to theory.
I tried THC after Sky Dance raw tag into Morrigan. She can THC but Morrigan/Doom come out instead of Morrigan/Dante. Oh well, I should probably TAC if I get a hit with Dante.
You can't raw tag to Doom?

FSLink

Banned
I'm being told that Ryu/Zero will be a good shell if it gets explored.
Haven't mess with this duo much, but it does good DHC damage even if you can't do lightning loops, and double Hadangeki assist is good for Ryu. Add Akuma, Sent, or Doom to the back since they all have good synergy with Ryu and Zero. Not sure if Ryu can convert off of Zero's uppercut assist at all with j.S either.

Azoth

Banned
SU Cless is the only decent player I've seen use Zero+Ryu. And IIRC, he stopped using it.

It's not really a strong shell. Zero and Ryu are both point characters.

As for the Dante/Doom/Morrigan business, you'd have to do one of the following...

Skydance -> Tag Morrigan -> 3 Bar THC -> soul drains

or

Skydance -> Tag Doom -> OTG xx THC -> FootFootFootFootFoot

I wouldn't really recommend the former, unless you're against a phoenix team. The latter sounds good for basic ToDs with dante point and two bars, though.

The rawtag setups I use(d with my frank team) with Dante are,

Midscreen Vs Grounded, cLMsH6HHHHS, jMM xx djMM xx Skydance, land, rawtag

and in corner, Volcano xx Beehive, dash back sS xx Charge Shot(1 shot) xx Stinger xx Bold Move, Skydance(crossup hard knockdown) rawtag, etc

The latter can be extended with assists, and sometimes I did something like,

Stinger xx BC Volcano, jH xx Airplay, jH, sMH xx Cold Shower xx Prop xx JC Acid Rain, jM xx Hammer, Volcano xx Beehive, 6H + Call Drones xx BC Revolver, jump, Skydance, Beehive(groundbounce reset), Call Shopping Cart(to prevent flip out), Cold Shower xx Stinger xx Bold Move, Skydance(crossup hard knockdown), tag Frank, picture etc

With your team, I'd try something like,

In Corner,

cLMsH6H xx BC Volcano, jH xx Airplay, jH, sH+Call HarmonizerS, jMH xx Airplay, Killer Bee, Stinger + Call Missiles xx BC Jetstream xx Fireworks, missiles hit, jump, skydance, beehive(groundbounce reset), dash back sS xx Charge Shot(one shot) xx Stinger xx Bold Move, Skydance(hard knockdown), tag doom, (sM? sH? 4H?) OTG xx THC xx FootFootFootFootFootFoot Missile Foot Foot Plasma Beam.

You'd have to mess around with it a lot, though. That's probably too long, and charge shot will probably make them flip out. Try it with Cold Shower Stinger instead of sS Charge Shot Stinger. If that's still too much HSD, try it with jS instead of the first skydance.

The possibilities
image.php

Top Bottom