• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Ultimate Marvel vs. Capcom 3 |OT4| Nothing Stops This Patch!

[QUOTE="God's Beard!";85968817]It's too bad. There are only three good AA assists in the game, and Jam Session beats Doom Missiles and Vajra. It also helps so many characters against the popular top tiers.[/QUOTE]
How could you forget the 4th good AA assist? :(

I'm still not happy you guys are changing the rubeks cube assist. That thing is so good. Infinite active frames and projectile invulnerability!

How could you forget the 4th good AA assist? :(

An assist attached to a bad character is a bad assist :-(

This ain't marvel 2... ;_;

Speaking of which, I watched clockwork vs neo again yesterday and I still think that game is faster than 3. God damn.

I think my new team is Morrigan/Spencer/Akuma or Morrigan/Spencer/Strider.
Nova/Doom/Strider served me well but I really had a hard time with my friend's Task/Hulk/Hawk or his team TripleH Hulk/Haggar/Hawkeye.

Morrigan/Missles is not fun to play against in a friendly setting. You just throw L fireball/call missles/ jump fireball, flight/dash across to otherside fireball/shellkick/jump L or standing L with missile coverage.

Dahbomb

Speaking of which, I watched clockwork vs neo again yesterday and I still think that game is faster than 3. God damn.
It is especially with stuff like 1 frame normals, low height on air dashes and insanely fast overheads. Even Sentinel is super fast. I guess Cable is not that fast compared to the god 3 and Strider. Actually most of the cast isn't that fast and if you played the game with lower tier characters it's not that fast but when Magneto or Storm come into play holy shit.

Frantic

FRANTIC:
Rocket Raccoon
Super-Skrull
Taskmaster
Yes to all three.

Also, looking at the suggested change for Viper's Optic Laser - "Optic Laser’s upper portion of its vertical hitbox decreased slightly." - I'd like to clarify my original suggestion a little better before the patch list is finalized. The problem isn't so much that the upper portion is too big, it's that the animation of the laser is misleading. It's active when the laser has already shrunk in the later active frames quite a bit, so you can run into the hitbox(that retains its size throughout) from the top despite it looking like it's gone. It's like the reverse of Chris' flame grenades where it looks like they're still there but they're not.

Dahbomb

Sentinel was so absurd in MVC2. 9 frame start up on his jump heavies, 5 frame jump light... ridiculous. And then you factor in fast fly and unfly shenanigans.

Yes to all three.

Also, looking at the suggested change for Viper's Optic Laser - "Optic Laser’s upper portion of its vertical hitbox decreased slightly." - I'd like to clarify my original suggestion a little better before the patch list is finalized. The problem isn't so much that the upper portion is too big, it's that the animation of the laser is misleading. It's active when the laser has already shrunk in the later active frames quite a bit, so you can run into the hitbox(that retains its size throughout) from the top despite it looking like it's gone. It's like the reverse of Chris' flame grenades where it looks like they're still there but they're not.
Do you have a hitbox video to show me? Votes updated.

Now we are just missing a "Y" from Dahbomb on Wolverine, and for Magneto to be settled. Zissou has not formally voted, and I am still a "N" on Magnetic Blast.

Then we can open it up for special considerations, like Captain America.

Dahbomb

http://youtu.be/OFX0DrO5Z94?t=1m18s

The laser hit box stays active for a few frames longer than when the actual laser shrinks in size. So when it has shrunk in size it still has the same hit box as when it was full size.

So you can just list the change as "hit box of the Optic Beam shrinks alongside the visual animation". This is more of a change that qualifies as a "*". Or you can just change the visual animation so that the actual beam is as big as the hit box and have the laser/hitbox shrink in size over its duration together.

http://youtu.be/OFX0DrO5Z94?t=1m18s

The laser hit box stays active for a few frames longer than when the actual laser shrinks in size. So when it has shrunk in size it still has the same hit box as when it was full size.

So you can just list the change as "hit box of the Optic Beam shrinks alongside the visual animation". This is more of a change that qualifies as a "*". Or you can just change the visual animation so that the actual beam is as big as the hit box and have the laser/hitbox shrink in size over its duration together.

C. Viper:
*C. Viper now flashes yellow when performing an EX attack.
*Optic Laser’s hitbox now matches its animation.
-EX moves can no longer be canceled into one another.
-Minimum damage scaling on specials reduced to 20%.
-Minimum damage scaling on normals reduced to 15%.
-Focus Attack Level 3 now causes a significantly less hitstun on airborne opponents with a strike attribute, preventing follow-ups. Grounded hits are unchanged.
-The first hit of s.S is now subject to hitstun decay, with a minimum hitstun allowing for the second hit of s.S to hit.

Assists: Thunder Knuckle H, Optic Laser, Burning Kick L

Dahbomb

The way that you listed that laser change is a big nerf. The hit box is actually bigger than the laser animation. You would be cutting the hitbox size by 66% if you matched the hitbox with the on screen laser.

The problem that we are referring to is that when the laser wanes the hitbox doesn't shrink proportionally with it. So the hitbox remains active after the main beam passes and you are left with a paper thin recovery laser that is disappearing but still maintaining full beam property.

For the laser to match its hitbox the initial laser animation has to be much bigger and then the hitbox shrinks with the laser.

I just did a Ghost Rider xf3 comeback. Shit made me laugh so hard. Dude was salty as fuck.

I was beating him 5-0 and then he claimed that I only knew how to use one team and then I told him that I'd use Random All and still get to 10 first. Every time I got a decent team he went back to character select. We ended up playing past 10 wins but then I got unlucky and got Shuma/Modok/Ghost Rider. Modok is easily my best character on the team so I had to rely heavily on him, but once he died it would just go downhill. I still ended up beating him 20-8 though. He proceeded to call me a bitch and said I didn't know how to play and that I just press buttons.............which is probably true.

Good Games Slasher!

Excellent matches with some crazy comebacks.

i was playing this guy who used felicia/dorm/nemesis and he knew his shit.

however, i didnt know felicia had this move where she moves into the foreground, around the opponent. i was like wtf man this shit would never work offline.

also wtf man you never respond to my game invites!

onionfrog

i was playing this guy who used felicia/dorm/nemesis and he knew his shit.
Interesting. I could see Felicia/dorm working well, but nemesis anchor!? That's some wacky shit.

however, i didnt know felicia had this move where she moves into the foreground, around the opponent. i was like wtf man this shit would never work offline.
Hahaha. Did he at least cover it with an assist? I get good mileage out of that move for incoming mixups.

also wtf man you never respond to my game invites!
It's not intentional, last night I was just about to head to bed when you sent your request.

I've got time for a few now before my wife gets home.

After having not played since gold/silver, I have to admit I'm having a ton of fun with Pokemon Y.

On topic:
Who would go well with Felicia/Storm/X?
I have been using sentinel, but he's such a liability on anchor.

Missiles. You can benefit from all of Dante's assist.

Rapid Slash might be interesting as well.

Zissou

Felicia seems like she needs two dedicated support characters to succeed, no? I play against a guy regularly who uses Felicia/Doom(beam)/Strider and it's pretty scary, but w/o the horizontal coverage of the beam and vajra protecting the skies, I could lame her out pretty easily.

I've seen OnionFrog use similar shenanigans. It looks like a slower Cap cartwheel dodge. Back it up with an assist for a cross up? Incomming mixups for sure.

I should have mentioned that I can't play Doom to save my life.

My Dante is pretty bad too, but I may give it a shot.

Takes time. I didn't really get the hang of Dante for about 300 matches. Now I want him on almost every team. In my opinion the best way to learn a character is to put them in front with some decent assists backing them. You'll lose a ton of matches, but you learn a lot. My Dante team when I learned him was Dante/Morrigan/Strider. I still use that team too.

onionfrog

I will try this team configuration again. Which assist do you think would be best?
I was going to go: Felicia(Rolling Buckler)/Storm(Whirlwind)/Hawkeye(Triple Arrows) or Hawkeye(AA Arrows).
The only problem with AA Arrows is that its totally useless if i've already got someone cornered. Pretty useful assist at midscreen though

I disagree. She doesn't need any help. She can work it on her own.
XF3 Felicia + Kitty Helper = :D

I will try this team configuration again. Which assist do you think would be best?
I was going to go: Felicia(Rolling Buckler)/Storm(Whirlwind)/Hawkeye(Triple Arrows) or Hawkeye(AA Arrows).
The only problem with AA Arrows is that its totally useless if i've already got someone cornered. Pretty useful assist at midscreen though.
Greyhound, no doubt!

You could try Taskmaster, too. I'm a big fan of Felicia with a good horizontal assist. Now Storm...I'm never entirely keen on Whirlwind assist. It doesn't seem to do a whole lot. You could consider Lightning Attack as a "get off me".

Though if you have Storm second, I'm a big proponent of having a point character with an aerial hyper for insta-punishes.

Now I'm ruining your team, so I will stop. :p

I've seen OnionFrog use similar shenanigans. It looks like a slower Cap cartwheel dodge. Back it up with an assist for a cross up? Incomming mixups for sure.
I use it a lot for wacky resets. I actually rarely use it for crossups.
Felicia seems like she needs two dedicated support characters to succeed, no? I play against a guy regularly who uses Felicia/Doom(beam)/Strider and it's pretty scary, but w/o the horizontal coverage of the beam and vajra protecting the skies, I could lame her out pretty easily.

Well against hardcore zoning she can be kind of fucked. Otherwise nah, she can benefit from a ton of assists and she's also pretty damn good on her own. I use Felicia/Nova/Strider and it works out damn well.

People don't realize that XF3 Felicia is more bullshit than XF3 Wesker in stupid annoying fast and damaging nonsense but Wesker seems to take more of a negative backlash because of his overabundance in Vanilla.

onionfrog

Greyhound, no doubt!
I'll try it. I think I've improved a bit from the last time I tried that team configuration. I kinda know how to use storm now.

You could try Taskmaster, too. I'm a big fan of Felicia with a good horizontal assist.
Me too!

Now Storm...I'm never entirely keen on Whirlwind assist. It doesn't seem to do a whole lot. You could consider Lightning Attack as a "get off me".
Hmm, whirlwind assist seemed to work pretty well against Slasher earlier. Although I may try lightning attack since its a little redundant to have two horizontal assists. I'd use typhoon if it had tracking!!(Another assist that is worthless if you've got someone in the corner)
C'mon neogaf edition!

Though if you have Storm second, I'm a big proponent of having a point character with an aerial hyper for insta-punishes.

Now I'm ruining your team, so I will stop. :p

Not at all. I'm a big fan of that sort of setup as well. I've got a few teams that I mess around with that do just that. Like:
Deadpool/Storm/Sentinel
Trish/Storm/Sentinel

People don't realize that XF3 Felicia is more bullshit than XF3 Wesker in stupid annoying fast and damaging nonsense but Wesker seems to take more of a negative backlash because of his overabundance in Vanilla.
But you do now, right!? ;)
Dem solo kitty helper unblockables and kitty helper c-c-c-combo breaker!

Well against hardcore zoning she can be kind of fucked. Otherwise nah, she can benefit from a ton of assists and she's also pretty damn good on her own. I use Felicia/Nova/Strider and it works out damn well.
I like her with a solid horizontal assist and a good antiair assist.

Don't you run into problems not having a good horizontal assist with Felicia/Nova/Strider?

Aside from that I can see how it'd be a good combination. All three characters mesh well together. Nova + Rolling Bucker assist unblockables, both characters get full combos off Vajra...

GGs Beef. I have to head out and run some errands with my wife. I'll be back on later.

I have something to add to the patch notes. Bring back the ability to do otg combos on dead bodies when the round is over.

Dahbomb

Felicia being better than Wesker in anchor is sort of old news. Although Wesker still gets bull shit XF values thanks to glasses mechanic allowing him to basically kill in like 7-8 hits flat. Felicia having that infinite allows her to basically extend the effective time of XF.

Marz

Is Dr. Strange the only character with flight that has no airdash/movement option?

Why does Dormmamu/Magneto/Doom get all this mobility and Strange gets nothing but his teleport?

Dahbomb

Is Dr. Strange the only character with flight that has no airdash/movement option?

Why does Dormmamu/Magneto/Doom get all this mobility and Strange gets nothing but his teleport?
Sentinel only really has a double jump he has no air dash despite having a flight mode.

Strange has a real ground dash compared to Dorm and Doom so he is far more mobile then them on the ground. Plus his teleport is one of the best in the game and he can use it in the air (only 3 characters can do this). In addition Strange can set up solo teleport mix ups with his Glyphs that lead into a full combo... it is among the most powerful tools in the game. Not to mention that he has a counter projectile hyper (completely unique) and a an instant full screen tracking hyper that he can convert into a TOD on XF that hits OTG and picks up 2 characters.

Strange pretty much dominates all air dash characters including Dorm and Doom. Does fairly well against Magneto as well so long as he isn't cornered or something. He just has some minor issues like Daggers being kinda shitty, his counter move being garbage/useless, his Mystic Sword whiffing on crouching characters, his Eye of Agamatto getting canceled by a Wesker Gun shot and his projectile counter not counter Gimlet. Little stuff like that would go a long to making the character really good on point. He is already one of the best support characters in the game.

Top Bottom