• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Ultimate Marvel vs. Capcom 3 |OT4| Nothing Stops This Patch!

Dahbomb

Oh shit it's sent and in the wild?

giphy.gif

I don't think we should make a thread on GAF, posting it on the FGW thread and the Capcom Cup thread is enough. That's where all the people who might care about this type of thing will be.

I have posted it on FGW and the Capcom Cup thread.

Considerable oversight: we actually did get rid of lightning loops, as we no longer allow charge moves to be charged during cinematic screens, which is necessary for the loops to happen. If Dahbomb could please update the annotations to reflect the fact that lightning loops are gone, that would be great.

Frantic

I would make mention that it's solo Lightning Loops. It should still be possible to set them up with assists as long as you can land Raikousen without needing Buster. Essentially, all it really does is make the Lightning Loop more difficult to set up, which isn't necessarily a bad thing.

Also, I'm a bit sad I'll not be here Saturday. Going out of town today, and won't be back until Saturday evening... gonna miss pretty much all of Capcom Cup
and Marvel patch announcement
. :(

Dahbomb

Can we get a table of contents with links to individual characters? Just to make it a bit easier to get to stuff.

Someone requested that in the FGW thread. Is that possible? Might actually be helpful for a lot of people even for us although CTRL+F seems to work fine for me.

I would make mention that it's solo Lightning Loops. It should still be possible to set them up with assists as long as you can land Raikousen without needing Buster. Essentially, all it really does is make the Lightning Loop more difficult to set up, which isn't necessarily a bad thing.

Also, I'm a bit sad I'll not be here Saturday. Going out of town today, and won't be back until Saturday evening... gonna miss pretty much all of Capcom Cup
and Marvel patch announcement
. :(
Good thought.

Someone requested that in the FGW thread. Is that possible? Might actually be helpful for a lot of people even for us although CTRL+F seems to work fine for me.
No clue - this is my first time messing with a Google Doc like this. I will check it out this weekend.

Dahbomb

I removed the part about LL being in tact but I left it so that it's up in the air if LL are possible or not. Between the cinematic hyper charge change and the soft knockdown removed on Raikousen it is hard to say if it would even remain.

No clue - this is my first time messing with a Google Doc like this. I will check it out this weekend.
Just as you were typing it, I figured it out myself! I made the addition to both the lists.

Did anyone send it to Eventhubs yet?

I removed the part about LL being in tact but I left it so that it's up in the air if LL are possible or not. Between the cinematic hyper charge change and the soft knockdown removed on Raikousen it is hard to say if it would even remain.

Just as you were typing it, I figured it out myself! I made the addition to both the lists.
Thank you.

A minor thing, but you should consider adding the Marvel vs Capcom 3 episodes into the beginning bit.
That would be nice, but Capcom isn't like to do that. See: Indestructible.

Sigmaah

So if we're gonna find out any news, it would be tomorrow right? Probably won't be any news to hype us up but "if" it were to happen, it would happen tomorrow correct?

onionfrog

So if we're gonna find out any news, it would be tomorrow right? Probably won't be any news to hype us up but "if" it were to happen, it would happen tomorrow correct?
Yeah.
There is a portion of the Capcom Cup tomorrow listed as "Announcements and USF4 Exhibition", which will be taking place right before the Marvel part of the tournament.

I want to believe, but I'm thinking its more likely that they'll be USF4 related announcements.
This would be OK, I want to know who the 5th character is...

Then again, who knows!

Yeah.
There is a portion of the Capcom Cup tomorrow listed as "Announcements and USF4 Exhibition", which will be taking place right before the Marvel part of the tournament.

I want to believe, but I'm thinking its more likely that they'll be USF4 related announcements.
This would be OK, I want to know who the 5th character is...

Then again, who knows!
It would be extraordinarily odd if it were not a USF4 announcement given the context.

Need help improving my Dante corner BnB from all you Dante heads:

jH, MH6H bc jH xx Air Play, jH xx Killer Bee, S, jH xx Air Play, jH xx Sky Dance, Bee Hive, S xx Charge Shot xx Stinger bc Sky Dance, A1(Sent Drones), Million Carats, Sky Dance, Bee Hive, Jet Stream xx Fireworks

Does ~600k meterless

I feel like I can do more than 4 ground bounces.

GuardianE

Santa May Claus
You guys might want to consider adding information on the panel decisions, thought process, committee members, and/or link back to the GAF forums. Right now, the change list is just kind of out there, only naming GAF in general, but no one would be able to see how involved the process was because there's nothing tying it back here

EDIT: Wait, it's kind of in the beginning of the annotated patch notes.

You guys might want to consider adding information on the panel decisions, thought process, committee members, and/or link back to the GAF forums. Right now, the change list is just kind of out there, only naming GAF in general, but no one would be able to see how involved the process was because there's nothing tying it back here

EDIT: Wait, it's kind of in the beginning of the annotated patch notes.
I plan on adding a bit more.

Frantic

[QUOTE="God's Beard!";93599949]Need help improving my Dante corner BnB from all you Dante heads:[/QUOTE]
If someone hasn't by Saturday evening, I'll optimize this when I get back. The combo can definitely be improved.

Dahbomb

Reading some of the SRK responses its pretty clear who has read the annotated stuff and who hasn't (most haven't which is to be expected I guess).

One person brought up that we didn't fix Chris' issue of being able to deal with SJ campers. In the annotations, I mentioned that giving him an option for that height requires a new move or completely changing one of his move to hit straight up/straight forward but within the rules of the patch list we couldn't do that. That is a legitimate problem with Chris but again, the ability to fix that problem is limited within a simple patch.

Other people think that we didn't change enough or didn't give enough good assists. I can't agree with those kinds of statements at all, 90% of the characters got big improvements in their assists and a ton of characters got big changes.

shaowebb

Reading some of the SRK responses its pretty clear who has read the annotated stuff and who hasn't (most haven't which is to be expected I guess).

One person brought up that we didn't fix Chris' issue of being able to deal with SJ campers. In the annotations, I mentioned that giving him an option for that height requires a new move or completely changing one of his move to hit straight up/straight forward but within the rules of the patch list we couldn't do that. That is a legitimate problem with Chris but again, the ability to fix that problem is limited within a simple patch.

Other people think that we didn't change enough or didn't give enough good assists. I can't agree with those kinds of statements at all, 90% of the characters got big improvements in their assists and a ton of characters got big changes.

Could you link me to the finalized notes? I want to post about this on TYM. Or you can do it in their MVC section. Whichever.

Azure J

I'm actually interested in seeing some of the reactions to the patchlist from all sides. I'm seeing some slight controversy from folks on twitter but it's interesting to see reactions in general.

rocK`

Banned

Gah the writing on the full annotation is so painful to go through. Who did most of it?

Suggestions seem by and large to make sense, but there's so much fluff and bullshit in the annotations

Whenever Zero lands a hit, Yipes will say “I’ve seen this movie before”, or a line of similar intent. Every player who gets hit by Zero feels this way, because the combos are just so long feeling.

Erk.

Dahbomb

That's actually true though. Every time Zero hits someone people say "we are going to the movies".

I guess "long feeling" is a poor choice of words, I will edit that as soon as I get near a PC.

The writing can definitely be improved though. Since a lot of changes were controversial we had to hammer the oints in and sometimes it does feel redundant.

shaowebb

Thread made on TYM. Any Fighting boards with a Marvel contingent this hasn't been posted on yet? Tweet it and see if you can get it to trend guys.

Dahbomb

Yea that infinite was known and its suggested to be fixed in our patch.

That's an infinite that would be banned in tournament play. Its damage is too low and its a pure stalling tactic.

onionfrog

I feel like this was indirectly addressed by providing more good Anti Air assist options.

The guy who says we didn't improve assists enough did not read things clearly...

And obviously some people did not read the annotations to understand why some changes were made. :p

You guys can't expect people to read or anything like that. Otherwise, they might have to make an actual case based in reason and/or logic.

Good work on getting it done, I'd have to take a gander at it in full before giving my two cents. I'm sure it's mostly sound though -- liked a good chunk of the snippets I've read.

Congrats and all that jazz. It's the right weekend for it at least. Expect the worst but hope for the best with Cacpcpcpcpcppcpcpcpcpcom.

Edit: Nothing offensive (read: bad) about my 5 most used in there (Parker, Hawkeye, X-23, Steve and Tony). Would be fun to try those versions.

Coulda hopped in more on the Cap annotations but looks good enough -- would really come down to semantics on 1 or 2 changes but eh, nothing glaring.

Thumbs up!

onionfrog

You guys can't expect people to read or anything like that. Otherwise, they might have to make an actual case based in reason and/or logic.
Right, this is the Internet after all! ;)

It's easier for some people to complain than to form a solid argument.

It's still nowhere near as bad as YouTube comments!

Did the list get posted on eventhubs?

shaowebb

We could send it to them I guess. It'd be publicity and the more people hear about this monumental effort the better imo. The annotated list is pure heaven as it is presented in an extremely smooth and logical manner and not just "it sucked and needed more awesome" which is 90% of the shit I see SRK back their ideas up with in loud arguments. Its why I almost entirely brows there and nearly never post on SRK...seems most threads devolve into loud fanaticism on some characters and folks cant stay calm.

Zissou

Did anyone submit the list to eventhubs yet? (Karst/Dahbomb?)

shaowebb

I just sent it off to Maximillian's facebook page just in case. Trying to spark some discussion on character by character notes on TYM too.

BTW, I am not even going to lie to you on this... I am looking heavily at the annotated input on these notes for things to keep in mind on my own fighting game project right now. You guys were always really detail oriented and I mainly want to get my game's system set up in such a manner as to become a good environment to build characters for. I kept pushing for you guys to finish what you started because so much work was done I didn't want to see it go to waste...so know that even if Capcom doesn't pay enough attention to this that I intend to in the future. I'm about to start a chemical plant position meaning I wont have to rush this project as i'll already have my income settled. Im going to take as long as it takes and grow it as long as I have to till it happens for me.

Here's hoping these changes influence Marvel in a patch soon. If nothing else I just wanted you all to know your views on every detail and move in this game have influenced my own direction for my own projects. You are a helluva bunch of dedicated players.

Dahbomb

Here's hoping these changes influence Marvel in a patch soon. If nothing else I just wanted you all to know your views on every detail and move in this game have influenced my own direction for my own projects. You are a helluva bunch of dedicated players.
Well that's good to know, at least the patch makes a positive contribution to the world.

onionfrog

I just sent it off to Maximillian's facebook page just in case. Trying to spark some discussion on character by character notes on TYM too.
I'll have to look at his Facebook page, I'd be interested to see what Max has to say if he responds.
BTW, I am not even going to lie to you on this... I am looking heavily at the annotated input on these notes for things to keep in mind on my own fighting game project right now. You guys were always really detail oriented and I mainly want to get my game's system set up in such a manner as to become a good environment to build characters for. I kept pushing for you guys to finish what you started because so much work was done I didn't want to see it go to waste...so know that even if Capcom doesn't pay enough attention to this that I intend to in the future. I'm about to start a chemical plant position meaning I wont have to rush this project as i'll already have my income settled. Im going to take as long as it takes and grow it as long as I have to till it happens for me.
This is OT, but are you a chemical engineer?

Whenever someone says Chemical Plant, This is what cones to mind

shaowebb

This is OT, but are you a chemical engineer?

I have a BA in Computer Science Animation and in May I finish what is technically 2 bachelors as they used to be 2 seperate BA's but the overlap and a few extra courses allows me to get both a BA in Applied Process Technology and Power Plant Technology. Its being listed as one degree but technically its equivalent to 2 BA's as either field require a degree dedicated to it and this qualifies for both fields. Essentially in May I'll have 3 BA's and they might send me back in a few years to complete some Instrumentation and Control courses to fit me out with a 4th BA in Instrumentation just to have an Instrumentation operator on staff (they are rare and again I've got a lot of education and my overlap between fields is severe on most of these.) I've worked in Power Plant's before. Monday I setup things to go into Chemical plants. Thats a pretty nice bit of cash and it leaves me enough time to animate things for my own projects with no worries as to funding.

Essentially I am out to spend the next couple of years just fine tuning a game system and putting together character models, animations and environments. Once things are ready for balancing though I'm going to go and outsource heavily amongst certain folks who tourney play and do QA a lot and then change, add or remove character moves based on feedback and run loc tests then. Thats the plan at least. I do art/FGC stuff for fun so this is my recreation outside of the plant. If it pulls money great, if not I still got to make it and play it and it didn't ruin my life. Its a really slow way but a really safe way for me to do what I want and I'll be studying a lot of the philosiphies on systems and movesets you guys have been discussing as I piece together things over the next few years.

Like I said...if nothing else I was listening the whole time and I intend to take note on some of this stuff when the time comes to debate with myself and QA years later why things may or may not be needed.

Zissou

I just submitted it to EH (why the hell not, right?) with the following:

Myself and a few dedicated marvel players on Neogaf have spent several months working on an exhaustive list of what we we would like to see changed if UMvC3 were to ever be patched. It was originally sparked when Ono (shortly after Evo) said he would like to hear what changes people wanted to see in UMvC3. We were at it for several months, and with Capcom Cup approaching, we finally got it out the door. We know the chances for a patch are slim (as always), but it couldn't hurt to make some noise and try to make Capcom/Marvel more aware that a patch for this game is something people still want.

Annotated version with explanations for all the suggested changes:
https://docs.google.com/document/d/1-3fDxvOvPXaCOrS71_f_Nl0tGxnoa2wS-rqqI4BOGf8/edit?usp=sharing

Basic (aka TLDR) version
https://docs.google.com/document/d/1Zolcw8bTvVsl8RKtgpFBhuGmWF3KehdUC1XJzN2HxXs/edit?usp=sharing

onionfrog

I have a BA in Computer Science Animation and in May I finish what is technically 2 bachelors as they used to be 2 seperate BA's but the overlap and a few extra courses allows me to get both a BA in Applied Process Technology and Power Plant Technology. Its being listed as one degree but technically its equivalent to 2 BA's as either field require a degree dedicated to it and this qualifies for both fields. Essentially in May I'll have 3 BA's and they might send me back in a few years to complete some Instrumentation and Control courses to fit me out with a 4th BA in Instrumentation just to have an Instrumentation operator on staff (they are rare and again I've got a lot of education and my overlap between fields is severe on most of these.) I've worked in Power Plant's before. Monday I setup things to go into Chemical plants. Thats a pretty nice bit of cash and it leaves me enough time to animate things for my own projects with no worries as to funding.

Essentially I am out to spend the next couple of years just fine tuning a game system and putting together character models, animations and environments. Once things are ready for balancing though I'm going to go and outsource heavily amongst certain folks who tourney play and do QA a lot and then change, add or remove character moves based on feedback and run loc tests then. Thats the plan at least. I do art/FGC stuff for fun so this is my recreation outside of the plant. If it pulls money great, if not I still got to make it and play it and it didn't ruin my life. Its a really slow way but a really safe way for me to do what I want and I'll be studying a lot of the philosiphies on systems and movesets you guys have been discussing as I piece together things over the next few years.

Like I said...if nothing else I was listening the whole time and I intend to take note on some of this stuff when the time comes to debate with myself and QA years later why things may or may not be needed.

Oh cool. I also have a bachelor's degree in computer science. I've never actually attempted to learn anything about game development though.

Since I graduated about a year and a half ago,
I've been doing corporate java software development in the automotive business. It pays pretty well and I find it to be rather enjoyable so far. I work with some great people and a very reasonable client.

Top Bottom