• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Ultimate Marvel vs. Capcom 3: The NeoGAF Tournament (a Professor Beef joint)

Solune wins 3-1, a little laggy but nothing worth complaining about. GGs, got to try some new teams afterwards.

I am salty that I won two matches right afterwards, though :-(

Maybe if Panda was a better player we could have gotten farther.

Solune wins 3-1, a little laggy but nothing worth complaining about. GGs, got to try some new teams afterwards.

I am salty that I won two matches right afterwards, though :-(

Maybe if Panda was a better player we could have gotten farther.
After I beat Solune 3-0 I think he took 3 games in a row off of me with the same teams.

Solune is a good player, so going 3-1 shows a lot of progress on your end.

I played FT10 with the same teams and it was 4-10 for him. A lot of close games, the deciding factor was his Strider vs my Phoenix, which he won almost every time. My wins were almost all OCVs with Wesker I think, I couldn't finish anything with Magneto. I forgot that the actual orbs around Strider have a hitbox and kept teleporting into them wondering what was happening. The only two games that weren't very close were two really fast OCVs we each had against each other back to back.

I played FT10 with the same teams and it was 4-10 for him. A lot of close games, the deciding factor was his Strider vs my Phoenix, which he won almost every time. My wins were almost all OCVs with Wesker I think, I couldn't finish anything with Magneto. I forgot that the actual orbs around Strider have a hitbox and kept teleporting into them wondering what was happening.
Yeah, against Strider you need to stay in his face constantly with j.S to make sure he can't get the orbs up. Basically, my rule with him and Vergil is "he can never not be in blockstun". If there's a moment to breathe, I know I lost.

Though now that I think about it, Healing Field is probably very effective against Strider and Vergil.

Yeah, against Strider you need to stay in his face constantly with j.S to make sure he can't get the orbs up. Basically, my rule with him and Vergil is "he can never not be in blockstun". If there's a moment to breathe, I know I lost.

Yeah, he'd do the orbs before killing me then x-factor the dpr burst to keep up the pressure. With any other character I'd just try to block the mixups until it ran out but I lose my head with Dark.

Yeah, he'd do the orbs before killing me then x-factor the dpr burst to keep up the pressure. With any other character I'd just try to block the mixups until it ran out but I lose my head with Dark.
Dark Phoenix makes you feel like you should be able to do whatever you want when you want, but it's just not true, haha.

It's not always best to survive with Phoenix. In some matchups it's better to die first. If Vergil or Strider get to transform you, it's GG. If you're already transformed, you can pressure them enough to make it hard for them to put their counter hypers up.

Maybe Phoenix should have a 0 bar "Overload" hyper where she just dies and transforms if she has meter, but does like 300K damage full-screen into spinning knockdowns. That would be badass. In fact, I now want this in the game. I'd rather kill myself than give my opponent a chance to mess up my meter. Goddamn I'm such a good game developer. That would solve the Morrigan matchup, too.

Combos off of Dark Phoenix Rising are already dumb as hell.

Anyway, at least I got to test out some new resets and general tech.
Don't complain when you set a bomb off and stand next to it!

Just be glad I don't have godlike execution, because she can get full combos off of the explosion mid-screen, too.

Solune

After I beat Solune 3-0 I think he took 3 games in a row off of me with the same teams.

Solune is a good player, so going 3-1 shows a lot of progress on your end.
lol it actually went 6-0 before i changed to spencer/vergil/doom. spencer/dante/vergil... not feeling it at all.
I played FT10 with the same teams and it was 4-10 for him. A lot of close games, the deciding factor was his Strider vs my Phoenix, which he won almost every time. My wins were almost all OCVs with Wesker I think, I couldn't finish anything with Magneto. I forgot that the actual orbs around Strider have a hitbox and kept teleporting into them wondering what was happening. The only two games that weren't very close were two really fast OCVs we each had against each other back to back.
I actually think you should try Magneto point even though you like playing him anchor, I mean, Wesker's a bad matchup for Chris as it is but, Magneto is just much worse since he gets in at that tri-dash angle.
GGs Solune.

lol. I think I've lost to the most out of anyone I've played here besides Karst...

I actually think you should try Magneto point even though you like playing him anchor, I mean, Wesker's a bad matchup for Chris as it is but, Magneto is just much worse since he gets in at that tri-dash angle.

I thought about it, but I really hate playing Wesker without an assist. I like to sit just outside people's normal range and do a bunch of safe mixups. I don't really like being defensive or going for footsies, but I'm adding more of that as I go lately.

How do you like my Wesker resets? I've added a lot more and it seems like they're more effective in general recently.

Anti-Vajra tech with Dormammu for anyone curious; quoting what I'll put in the guide in my next update:
Vajra is a pain for Dormammu to deal with, but he has some good answers to it. The worst is a pre-emptive Purification L. The best is s.M right as Strider starts to teleport. This also works with j.M and j.H. Because Strider does not benefit from hitstun reduction, Dormammu’s TAC combo works on him. This takes a lot of time, though. If you are in the air, a simple j.MHS, Liberation x Chaotic Flame will kill him. If you are on the ground, s.MS, sj.MMH, Liberation x Chaotic Flame works. If you have Liberations charged, 3D0C, Dark Hole, Chaotic Flame is not enough damage on its own, but you can Purification after Chaotic Flame to finish the job. s.M, Dark Matter, Dark Hole, Chaotic Flame comes very close to killing Strider as well. s.M, Dark Matter, 1D2C, Purification, Chaotic Flame works. 2D1C, Purification, Chaotic Flame works inconsistently due to the spread of the fire. While all of this doesn’t make Vajra any less threatening, all of these options provide you with ways to guarantee Strider’s death if your opponent makes one bad call.

I have some for Morrigan, too:
j.H, Soul Fist H, Soul Fist H, Shadow Blade H, Finishing Shower kills

j.H, Soul Fist H, Soul Fist H, walk, s.S, sj.MMH, Shadow Blade M, Finishing Shower kills

Shadow Blade, j.H, Soul Fist H, j.MMH, Soul Fist H, ADD, j.H, Soul Fist H, s.S, etc. kills

I'm still trying to figure out a kill for her at superjump height so I can say "fuck you" to Vajra with all three of my characters. ^_^

Mr Goldenmyer

Neo Member
So I run a team of Spidey/Frank/Deadpool (I switch between Spiderman and Frank on point). Is this a decent team? I feel like Spiderman is my weakest character even though I've been playing him ever since Ultimate came out. I don't want to drop him cause he's so dirty but he seems like a he's holding me back. If I were to replace him, who would be a decent sub for him?

So I run a team of Spidey/Frank/Deadpool (I switch between Spiderman and Frank on point). Is this a decent team? I feel like Spiderman is my weakest character even though I've been playing him ever since Ultimate came out. I don't want to drop him cause he's so dirty but he seems like a he's holding me back. If I were to replace him, who would be a decent sub for him?
It's not a team I would use.

Mr Goldenmyer

Neo Member
Oops I commented in the wrong place. I totally misread and thought that this was the OT, how embarrassing! I'll just post my question there too I appreciate the responses a lot. I thought about Dante because that would benefit Frank tons. I was also thinking Dorm?

Solune

I thought about it, but I really hate playing Wesker without an assist. I like to sit just outside people's normal range and do a bunch of safe mixups. I don't really like being defensive or going for footsies, but I'm adding more of that as I go lately.

How do you like my Wesker resets? I've added a lot more and it seems like they're more effective in general recently.

Your Wesker resets are pretty good, I don't think I blocked any double teleport mix ups and I only teched one air throw reset. I wasn't really looking out for them but I tried to tech 3 others but didn't tech just got thrown =/

I'm free to throws in general though.

Your Wesker resets are pretty good, I don't think I blocked any double teleport mix ups and I only teched one air throw reset. I wasn't really looking out for them but I tried to tech 3 others but didn't tech just got thrown =/

I'm free to throws in general though.

Some of the throw resets are guard breaks if I time it right, that's why I use trap assist.

sorry mang, just got an invite from my bro to visit my newborn niece tonight. tomorrow, i swear you'll have your victory, but until then, im going to keep scheming on a counterpick lol

Hey man no big deal. You want counter pick. I'd roll Taskmaster Hawkeye Super Scrull. If your any good with these guys is another thing.

Hey man no big deal. You want counter pick. I'd roll Taskmaster Hawkeye Super Scrull. If your any good with these guys is another thing.

heh i'll try something like that. i just dont think my current team is the best to go against yours. but we've at least got to play an additional 10-15 games for casuals.

Yeah, Trish is useless against Vajra, lol.

GGs, though. Really great felicia there.
Trish does fine against Vajra. You need to develop some anti-Vajra combos.

It's 6:25, I'm turning on my PS3 to go into training mode...

6:32, and I developed this at superjump height, and it's easy to time:
j.H, d.H, qcf.M, qcf.AA

Does 722,000 damage to Strider and is very safe.

j.M also counters it.

I bet every character in the game has an anti-Vajra response.
It still needs to be nerfed.

Goddamn. I watched Dieminion's Viewtiful Joe get hit by Vajra over and over, and in 2 minutes I figured this out:
j.S, MASH STUFF, Desperado. Does about 650K to Strider.

Sayah

Trish does fine against Vajra. You need to develop some anti-Vajra combos.

It's 6:25, I'm turning on my PS3 to go into training mode...

6:32, and I developed this at superjump height, and it's easy to time:
j.H, d.H, qcf.M, qcf.AA

Does 722,000 damage to Strider and is very safe.

j.M also counters it.

I bet every character in the game has an anti-Vajra response.
It still needs to be nerfed.

Goddamn. I watched Dieminion's Viewtiful Joe get hit by Vajra over and over, and in 2 minutes I figured this out:
j.S, MASH STUFF, Desperado. Does about 650K to Strider.

Wow thanks. Will have to test this out.

I think Vajra beats Joe's air S. Either way, it's not something I'm going to risk.
I just did it in training mode you doof. And it was brain dead, I didn't have to think about timing at all.

j.S, Red Hot Kick M, Red Hot Kick M, dash, j.S, multi-hit moves - so many easy Strider kill options.

JeTmAn81

Jetman 3-1 over me. Ggs, your Strider really fucked me up.

GGs, you were doing some pretty fancy maneuvers with that Zero. I feel like you would get a lot out of being able to use meter since your execution is on par so it's too bad you were playing Phoenix. Luckily for me the Vajra pairing with my characters helps a lot against Zero's aerial movement.

Top Bottom