• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

UN: Marijuana-related health problems on rise in US

Status
Not open for further replies.
I am, apparently... lacking a brain.

From smoking the "reefers" with your hippie friends, no doubt.

Also:

qmrx7E9.gif

J-Rod

I don't understand the concerns about higher potency strains. If I typically drink five beers on a night out, then they invent liquor, it doesn't mean I'm going to drink 5 full bottles of tequila on another. People don't consume the same volume of expresso shots as they do drip folgers coffee.

marrec

Banned
My question is that if they're going to write a marijuana hit piece, why not point out the probably legitimate link between marijuana and schizophrenia? There are lots of scholarly papers to be cited there. Why half-ass the smear piece?

The people they're targeting with the hit-piece are probably more scared of vague but tangible health related problems instead of psychological disorders they don't understand.

People get high and then eat Jack in the Box and then get obese and then have heart attacks and then die.

This is all marijuana's fault.

To reply to the following post you made here's some good information as to why people drop dead after smoking weed: http://www.idmu.co.uk/canncardio.htm

My view is that if you aren't extremely sick or have chronic pain I would advise against smoking or ingesting marijuana it. Ignoring the legality of it in this situation, alcohol and smoking cigar/cigarette's are no different than casual use of weed, alcohol and smoking give you no benefits at all except for a buzz to make a person feel better.

This is ridiculous hyperbole. Read the article you just posted. In no way does it provide a definitive link between marijuana and dying of a cardiac episode.

Yeah this is bullshit, I have family that works in the ER, they've been seeing increased visits for everything since Obamacare went into effect because people can actually afford to go now. correlation does not equal causation people.

What the fuck are they talking about? You get these sentences about general emergency room visits on the rise, but literally none of the information you want: why? What are they going to hospitals for? Are they just super high and think they're dying when they're totally fine?

"Marijuana-related health problems" is just an easy scare. Give us the meat.

I'm pretty sure the #1 cause for marijuana related emergency room visits is anxiety attack. They also don't distinguish if other drugs were present in the system like alcohol or cocaine.

devilhawk

I don't understand the concerns about higher potency strains. If I typically drink five beers on a night out, then they invent liquor, it doesn't mean I'm going to drink 5 full bottles of tequila on another. People don't consume the same volume of expresso shots as they do drip folgers coffee.
But they do regulate the maximum alcohol by volume. Some states don't allow sales of 151, for example. You also just can't go buy 200 proof. So, in effect, "higher potency" is already regulated for other drugs.

Calm down. I said there's still scientific research to be done before all the facts are known. It should still be legally regulated but too much of anything can be a bad thing, and it's likely the smoke inhalation that will cause health problems.

This. Moderation is key. Being a pothead is not cool.

when people get caught with weed, especially youths, they usually can avoid any kind of punishment if they get "treatment" for their "addiction" which means a shitload more people are in rehab for weed. not because it's a problem for them, but because they don't want a criminal record.

What the fuck are they talking about? You get these sentences about general emergency room visits on the rise, but literally none of the information you want: why? What are they going to hospitals for? Are they just super high and think they're dying when they're totally fine?

The study noted an association between marijuana use and serious health problems, including sudden cardiac death, myocardial infarction and stroke.

Still, I'd need to see proper studies linking those problems in otherwise-healthy people with Marijuana use to believe it. The article is pretty heavy in scary language though, and sounds rather biased.

MegaMelon

My personal stance on the matter of Alcohol, Cigarettes and Drugs is do the pros outweigh the cons? IMO it doesn't so I don't do them. Obviously religious beliefs are a thing but there's nothing wrong with someone not liking a thing such as drugs as long as they don't try to force their opinion down everyone's throat.

wenis

Registered for GAF on September 11, 2001.
My question is that if they're going to write a marijuana hit piece, why not point out the probably legitimate link between marijuana and schizophrenia? There are lots of scholarly papers to be cited there. Why half-ass the smear piece?

because the ignorance of the average american when it comes to mental health disorders is HUGE while everyone knows about basic things like your heart stopping or having a stroke.

if we start educating people about schizophrenia then they start asking questions about all those shootings across the country and how we could have prevented them with combination of proper gun control and help for those with mental ailments.

I love how people jump to defend weed, I like smoking the stuff too but shot I wanna know what the side effects are. Sick of all this weed is a cure all bullshit. Just want the facts so I can decide for myself.

Halo 2

Banned
I love how people jump to defend weed, I like smoking the stuff too but shot I wanna know what the side effects are. Sick of all this weed is a cure all bullshit. Just want the facts so I can decide for myself.

Right on, I have no "stoner" culture to defend here, I look at a joint like a beer. The more I know about it, the better I can control it.

nynt9

Have you/ do you know anyone who has actually smoked it long-term? I always find that people who say shit like this are the people who have zero experience with the drug.

I know a dude who had a pretty good life before smoking, he smoked for about 5 years and he quit his job, became a shut-in and alienated everyone from his life, and then he quit, and shortly after he got a better job, new friends, and married.

Also there are studies that show marijuana usage in people under can 18 adverse affect neuronal development, and also studies that show it can exacerbate existing conditions in people.

Obviously the fist point in my post is anectodal but you asked for anectodal evidence so there you go.

Futureman

more THC doesn't really mean anything, does it? It just depends on the user. For certain people that could mean that you just don't smoke as much as people previously did to get the same high. Good for your lungs!

White Man

Yeah, people seem ready to believe that weed has no side effects just like they were told when they were 14.

Yeah, there's no actual trending connection to be made with higher potency weed and health problems. The connection's just made for political reasons. When people are too high, they stop, and good weed definitely hits you faster than alcohol, so you know when you've had enough.

Edit: I guess I should include edibles, which can definitely fuck you up out of nowhere, so I can see that angle. You eat it and then have to wait over two hours to start feeling anything, and many people are not that patient and eat more.

We all want the same thing as you. We're not finding it in this bullshit scare article with no actual facts or information.

J-Rod

But they do regulate the maximum alcohol by volume. Some states don't allow sales of 151, for example. You also just can't go buy 200 proof. So, in effect, "higher potency" is already regulated for other drugs.

That's fine if they do, I'm just saying people don't consume the same volume of liquid for each alcoholic beverage. If you order whiskey, they don't pour you an 12oz glass like a beer and you don't drink 6 of them, because it has a higher concentration of alcohol. Likewise for pot, they just take 2-3 hits for higher potency types instead smoking an entire cigar's worth.

White Man

Yeah, there's no actual trending connection to be made with higher potency weed and health problems. The connection's just made for political reasons. When people are too high, they stop, and good weed definitely hits you faster than alcohol, so you know when you've had enough.

I'm surprised they didn't pull out the ol' "TODAY'S MARIJUANA IS 60x MORE POWERFUL THAN IT WAS IN THE 60s." It's master spook trolling of boomers to make them scared of their kids smoking weed.

joelseph

That's fine if they do, I'm just saying people don't consume the same volume of liquid for each alcoholic beverage. If you order whiskey, they don't pour you an 12oz glass like a beer and you don't drink 6 of them, because it has a higher concentration of alcohol. Likewise for pot, they just take 2-3 hits for higher potency types instead smoking an entire cigar's worth.

Edible doses are harder to control for the uninitiated.

cackhyena

Maybe don't go by this article, go by plenty of research to be found out there on the risks of using marijuana. My wife is a community/mental health nurse, and the adverse affects she's coming across from usage of marijuana in seminars is kinda scary. The potency level is what's creating a much more harmful outcome compared to 30 years ago.

I'm surprised they didn't pull out the ol' "TODAY'S MARIJUANA IS 60x MORE POWERFUL THAN IT WAS IN THE 60s." It's master spook trolling of boomers to make them scared of their kids smoking weed.

Sure...

sn00zer

This doesnt surprise me. As much as people do not or will not admit that weed has an incredibly adverse effect on certain people with mental health disorders (more so than beer would), increased weed consumption with higher THC over a larger population will result in more people being sent to hospitals for mental health issues.

Weed is a very light psychedelic and it can effect some people more than others. So just because you personally dont have an adverse reaction to it doesnt mean other people dont. I have no doubt many people here who smoke know of friends who 'freak out' when using weed, but hey they had mental health problems in th past so its their fault.

Weed really isnt entirely comparable to beer. It can be controlled as such, but with the hundreds of strains and the constantly increased THC level, it is a changing substance that is only getting more potent.

Decriminalize it sure adn let it be used as medicine, but let people be aware of adverse potential side effects instead of sweeping them under the rug.

J-Rod

Also, I would think the effects of weed are relatively well known. It's not like we have just started researching the health impacts recently. Weed has been around a long time and there has been much interest in studying it for decades. There may be more to find, but it has been studied quite a lot compared to most prescription drugs.

GloveSlap

I am genuinely interested in real side effects as well, but there is no denying weed has had a long history of bullshit thrown it's way.

People call weed a gateway drug, but I think weed disinformation is a much more dangerous gateway. It can lead to people questioning any information they hear about any drug. When they find out weed has been so unfairly attacked then they might start thinking that Meth, Crack, etc have been as well

Is anyone else getting the anti-pot ads on GAF now?

QC4TYJ6.png

If you go to the website there is no information on what the ad says. At least I gave Evilore some ad revenue.

I am genuinely interested in real side effects as well, but there is no denying weed has had a long history of bullshit thrown it's way.

People call weed a gateway drug, but I think weed disinformation is a much more dangerous gateway. It can lead to people questioning any information they hear about any drug. When they find out weed has been so unfairly attacked then they might start thinking that Meth, Crack, etc have been as well
I know a few people IRL who definitely felt this way. It's only a gateway because you realize everything people have been telling you is bullshit, so of course you assume the harder stuff isn't that hard.

JBourne

maybe tomorrow it rains
I know a dude who had a pretty good life before smoking, he smoked for about 5 years and he quit his job, became a shut-in and alienated everyone from his life, and then he quit, and shortly after he got a better job, new friends, and married.

I did the same thing, minus the marriage. Once I was certain I was in a better state of mind and wouldn't turn into a huge stoner again, I started back up. Now I mainly get stoned when I have a night off with nothing else to do, and I only fuck with edibles.

I firmly believe that weed is something you can develop a psychological dependence to. Obviously it's not physically addictive, but back when I spent every waking moment stoned I needed it. I was depressed when I wasn't baked. Everything was boring. Food wasn't as good, movies weren't funny, games weren't interesting. The awesome feeling of being stoned made sober life terrible.

Pot is great, but it's definitely not for everyone and is best enjoyed in moderation. Just like alcohol.

genjiZERO

I read this a couple of days ago but it's not at all specific. It's more like a "no duh" thing than providing substantial information.

Wolfe

I'm sure everybody with a brain knows that using weed for non-medical reasons screws you up.

I'm sure everybody with actual knowledge on the subject knows that's complete bullshit.

Yeah this is some typical anti drug shit right here, I also like the line at the end about it leading to heroin use hahaha.

Smoking Marijuana will give you cancer and other related health-risks.

So there's that.

Where do you people get this stuff.

Where do you people get this stuff.

Prolonged smoke inhalation of any kind can lead to lung cancer. So more in correlation to smokes bad affect on your lungs rather than the marijuana plant itself.

Still more studies need to be done in that area as well.

TheFatOne

To reply to the following post you made here's some good information as to why people drop dead after smoking weed: http://www.idmu.co.uk/canncardio.htm

My view is that if you aren't extremely sick or have chronic pain I would advise against smoking or ingesting marijuana it. Ignoring the legality of it in this situation, alcohol and smoking cigar/cigarette's are no different than casual use of weed, alcohol and smoking give you no benefits at all except for a buzz to make a person feel better.

I read through the link, and it there is nothing definitive. There may be a link, but they definitely need more studies before I am convinced. In the study it says 3 patients, but I want to know exactly how they ruled out any other possibilities.It only says that they were meticulous, and thorough but did not go through the methodology.

I'm all for more studies being done to find out what the long term effects are from cannabis, but bullshit scare articles like this don't cut it for me. Lots of scary vague shit from the U.N.

I suspect edibles are going to be at fault. The potency of edibles can flatten someone who isn't a regular cannabis user.

So much this.

I have a strong tolerance to weed, but I still get nervous before eating a pot brownie because i have no idea what the potency will be... And I imagine edibles are very appealing to people with little to no experience with weed.

Olli128

The amount of stupidity in this thread is frighhtneing. Of course weed is bad for you, paritcularily when consumed by inhaling hot smoke into your lungs. Any induced state of altered mental perception can also be a problem for anyone with a pre existing mental problem, either dormant or known. And yes cannabis can kill you - say by triggering a panic attack and heart palpitations in someone with a heart condition.

That said almost anything can kill you! Crossing the road, waking under a cocunut tree etc. Alcohol and smoking is legal and is proven to be dangerous. In my opinion cannabis should be too, despite the fact I no longer smoke it due to panic attacks and heart palpitation. Banning everything that's unsafe is stupid, let people know the facts and decide if it's worth it for themselves.

SapientWolf

Trucker Sexologist
"Pot Fuels Surge in Drugged Driving Deaths"

Driving. Did you see that in the article?
The interesting part of that article is that researchers noted a net drop in traffic fatalities in states where marijuana was legal because it supplanted alcohol.

The amount of stupidity in this thread is frighhtneing. Of course weed is bad for you, paritcularily when consumed by inhaling hot smoke into your lungs. Any induced state of altered mental perception can also be a problem for anyone with a pre existing mental problem, either dormant or known. And yes cannabis can kill you - say by triggering a panic attack and heart palpitations in someone with a heart condition.

That said almost anything can kill you! Crossing the road, waking under a cocunut tree etc. Alcohol and smoking is legal and is proven to be dangerous. In my opinion cannabis should be too, despite the fact I no longer smoke it due to panic attacks and heart palpitation. Banning everything that's unsafe is stupid, let people know the facts and decide if it's worth it for themselves.
Pretty much. Make people go to the doctor to check for problems, give them a license, and let's sell it to everyone who wants it. Jack up the price a lot and put all sorts of warnings on it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom