• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Uncharted 3 previews, screens and video

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dever

Banned
The previews got me more hyped than the video. Although Drake jumping on that one guy was pretty awesome. I can't wait to see the new melee.

Septimus

Didn't they say this scene starts with them being captured or something? If so...

p3hIc.jpg

:D

thuway said:
I probably won't. I ruined tons of shit for myself by watching preview code, betas, etc. I want to go in this like a lamb to slaughter. I'm hoping this game gets a boost graphically because at this point I'm disappointed. I had this insane expectation that they would bring it up a notch, but it just seems like everything looks bland and the textures look blah.

I'm sure they will. It's still pretty early. These screenshots don't look like the best quality either to be honest.

we're dealing with black magic cult this time? awesome.

melee combat sounds so dynamic and awesome.

grabbing swinging chandelier for the platforming bit sounds great. I assume there will be timing on when to jump based on the momentum of the chandelier. so a bit step up from the usually automatic platforming.

rhino4evr

Phantast2k said:
Hmm. I'm not impressed. Looks like more of the same :/
I'm not sure what you folks were expecting. The graphics in uncharted 2 are some of the best on the system, there isnt much room for improvement.

Also this demo shows a number of improvements from the past games. Read the impressions!

- the animation is tighter
- the combat has improved (aerial takedown, multiple melee battles)
- co-op moments that rely on teamwork
- better physics on climbable items

Yoboman

Callibretto said:
we're dealing with black magic cult this time? awesome.

melee combat sounds so dynamic and awesome.

grabbing swinging chandelier for the platforming bit sounds great. I assume there will be timing on when to jump based on the momentum of the chandelier. so a bit step up from the usually automatic platforming.
I like that, I hope there's some co-operative platforming, one guy will have to swing the chandelier closer while the other times his jump

Yoboman

I think they toned down the auto-aiming. The video seems to have a lot of those "near" headshots from UC1 that weren't really in UC2

People are just overreacting. Complaints on graphic on a game that is nearly a near away. It's not just about graphics guys. Full story Co-op would kick ass if it were true. I want to play as Sully!

Dever

Banned
Bad_Boy said:
who wants to bet U3 has full story co-op?

I kind of doubt it:

Drake leads the way, leaping across gaping chasms, scaling the decaying walls of the ruin in hopes of opening new routes that his less agile partner can use.

Doesn't sound like much fun for the hypothetical second player. Also, Drake has been seen completely alone in the desert and running away from water. My guess is it'll be exactly like UC2.

Lard

Banned
Crakatak187 said:
People are just overreacting. Complaints on graphic on a game that is nearly a near away. It's not just about graphics guys. Full story Co-op would kick ass if it were true. I want to play as Sully!

Full story coop would be idiotic.

marc^o^

Nintendo's Pro Bono PR Firm
I loved how he jumped on the guy, I love the fire effects.
What they will add in Uncharted 3 will make the best game in the genre... the new best game in the genre. Can't wait.

gofreak

GAF's Bob Woodward
daxter01 said:
who wants to bet U3 graphics is going to blow U2 graphics away?

Of course it will be more 'wow'. I think from the little snippets we've seen from elsewhere, things will be bigger and better.

I don't think the UC2 comparison though will negatively affect UC3 at all. If all UC3 would be was 'more UC2', well, sign me up! Games of UC2's caliber and production value aren't exactly ten-a-penny. They're still incredibly few and far between, so if I could 'just' have another game on that level I'd be very happy indeed.

Chaser

Even at this early stage, the graphics are already looking a bit better than its predecessor.
The lighting in particular looks noticeably improved, and the fire effects are stellar.

Really looking forward to the desert section(s), and what they've done with sand.
I really should go on a media blackout. =/

De-mon

Once the chateau’s fire starts to grow, motes of flame swirl around crazily, flames leap, and the whole thing comes off more like a gorgeous tech demo than gameplay.

All this beauty is secondary to Naughty Dog’s main tech focus, which has been on bringing a realistic desert to life in Uncharted 3. Promised on the engineering side of the equation is modelling of sand displacement, dunes, mirages and heat haze. We did get a glimpse of a heat haze effect – the rippling distortion of superheated air above the flames in the blazing chateau – and it definitely looked a cut above the wobbly texture warbles gamers may have become accustomed to in other games. It looked like the real deal.

:D

iratA

I agree with gofreak. Uncharted 2 is a hell of a game, if UC3 meets that level of awesome I'll be happy, if it beats it then I'll be blown away. 11 months left on their production cycle is plenty of time to polish this baby up.

nib95

Banned
Tom Penny said:
No it won't.

Not sure it will "blow it away", but I'm willing to predict it'll be a degree better in many places. Already it looks like lighting, animations and models have improved. Who knows what else has.

jett

D-Member
Looks great, the shading on the in-game characters is a lot closer to the cut-scenes than it was in UC2.

Lard said:
Christ, I'm already sick of hearing about this game.

It's going to be a long year.

What are you doing in this thread then?

I think it looks great, however i think its a pretty bland stage to show off imho bar the amazing looking fire. I cant wait to see deserts etc i think that will be the mind blowing aspects of u3.

arne

rhino4evr said:
I'm not sure what you folks were expecting. The graphics in uncharted 2 are some of the best on the system, there isnt much room for improvement.

Also this demo shows a number of improvements from the past games. Read the impressions!

- the animation is tighter
- the combat has improved (aerial takedown, multiple melee battles)
- co-op moments that rely on teamwork
- better physics on climbable items

This AND you ain't seen nothing yet. Remember, this is a game reveal -- we're not blowing our load in the first reveal. There's all that stuff from the gameplay bits in the trailer to get to, plus even more than that. Not to mention, hello we have 10-ish months until we gold master. That's a hell of a long time for improvements and polish. :D

We didn't show our first gameplay on Uncharted 2 until MAY, we're showing it in DECEMBER, 5 months earlier. We showed off first screens in January as well. Still a month more of work than we had so far.

So keep all that in mind for context.

dark10x

Digital Foundry pixel pusher
Not surprising that it looks basically on par with the second game. I don't think they could push it too far beyond that. This is the same kind of thing we saw with their PS2 work. I expect improvements, but nothing as significant as the leap from U1 to U2. U2 is still pretty much the single most impressive looking console game available today.

Of course, going by Naught Dogs past, should we expect a Drake kart racer next before they move onto a new franchise?

Phantast2k said:
I'm ready for more, considering how rare games of this type really are and how polished U2 was.

Yoboman

arne said:
This AND you ain't seen nothing yet. Remember, this is a game reveal -- we're not blowing our load in the first reveal. There's all that stuff from the gameplay bits in the trailer to get to, plus even more than that. Not to mention, hello we have 10-ish months until we gold master. That's a hell of a long time for improvements and polish. :D

We didn't show our first gameplay on Uncharted 2 until MAY, we're showing it in DECEMBER, 5 months earlier. We showed off first screens in January as well. Still a month more of work than we had so far.

Yeah, don't blow your loads too early, don't underestimate the quality of a good tease and a bit of anticipation. You should go back into the dark till E3 IMO

After this current reveal and media blow out dies down, I think Naughty Dog should lay dormant for awhile, maybe like 4 or 5 months or something (besides for a few small interviews here and there and a screenshot or two.)

Let the anticipation build up again. 10 months is a long time and if they keep showing too much too often people will get Uncharted out. BTW it's a good idea to keep Elena under wraps again, this way there'll be excitement when she's finally revealed.

Yoboman

dark10x said:
Not surprising that it looks basically on par with the second game. I don't think they could push it too far beyond that. This is the same kind of thing we saw with their PS2 work. I expect improvements, but nothing as significant as the leap from U1 to U2. U2 is still pretty much the single most impressive looking console game available today.

Of course, going by Naught Dogs past, should we expect a Drake kart racer next before they move onto a new franchise?

I'm ready for more, considering how rare games of this type really are and how polished U2 was.
An Uncharted kart game makes no sense. Kart games aren't popular, and I'm pretty sure Jak X bombed

I'd bet they'll make a new Jak game

And hopefully a new Uncharted for PS4 in 2013/14, unless they move on to a new IP

Salz01

arne said:

Thanks for showing us in advance. Ignore the skeptics. I'm there day 1. I play uncharted at least once a week. Saying there is 10 months of polish left has me giddy like a little school girl. Just hope you guys dont blow your load too much. I want to be 'wow'd and find out surprises when I actually play the game on 11.1

arne

The-Warning said:
After this current reveal and media blow out dies down, I think Naughty Dog should lay dormant for awhile, maybe like 4 or 5 months or something (besides for a few small interviews here and there and a screenshot or two.)

Let the anticipation build up again. 10 months is a long time and if they keep showing too much too often people will get Uncharted out. BTW it's a good idea to keep Elena under wraps again, this way there'll be excitement when she's finally revealed.

while that's ideal, that type of thing doesn't effectively work in this day and age unless you're a gorilla in the room mega-seller, which are far and few in between. the key is sustaining the campaign and building awareness -- and you can't do that without something coming out on a regular basis.

StarEye

The Amiga Brotherhood
Yoboman said:
An Uncharted kart game makes no sense. Kart games aren't popular, and I'm pretty sure Jak X bombed

I'd bet they'll make a new Jak game

And hopefully a new Uncharted for PS4 in 2013/14, unless they move on to a new IP

Well, they could do some special chase sequences, and make it a story-driven mission-based racing/karting game where every race is a cinematic setpiece, not unlike those seen in the Uncharted games already (only this time, you do the driving), or the Indiana Jones movies. Kinda like the game Stuntman, but with Naughty Dog magic.

Yoboman

arne said:
while that's ideal, that type of thing doesn't effectively work in this day and age unless you're a gorilla in the room mega-seller, which are far and few in between. the key is sustaining the campaign and building awareness -- and you can't do that without something coming out on a regular basis.
I don't agree. Look at how Bethesda approaches it, even with a property that wasn't big at all like Fallout.

And Uncharted is the Gorilla in the room now

StarEye said:
Well, they could do some special chase sequences, and make it a story-driven mission-based racing/karting game where every race is a cinematic setpiece, not unlike those seen in the Uncharted games already (only this time, you do the driving), or the Indiana Jones movies. Kinda like the game Stuntman, but with Naughty Dog magic.
ew

Salz01

arne said:

Well, can't you guys focus on one or two chapters for 6 months, and then like 2 more chapters till the release? Thats only 4 out of the 30 Chapters or so you guys have in the game.

PS. 30 chapters is my wishful thinking.

I now watch vids of announced 3D games with a different angle. I like that I see embers floating all around and can imagine the 3D effect and I can't wait.

Phantast2k said:

if the more of the same means high quality addicted fun game to play... then they can make the more of the same forever and ever and I would still buy them day 1 full price .

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom