• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Uncharted 3 previews, screens and video

Status
Not open for further replies.

JaseC

gave away the keys to the kingdom.
The first batch of UC2 screenshots were impressive because the game was visually leaps and bounds beyond the original.

PistolGrip

sex vacation in Guam
careful said:
Don't see much difference with U2, which looks really damn great. I think this is about as good as the current consoles will output graphically.
they still have a year to shine that sht up for the CELL

.la1n

I can't believe anyone would have doubt that the game will as good if not better than UC2 at release. In fact my money is on that some of the setpieces will surpass even the best UC2 had to offer. You can quote me on that.

Stallion Free

Cock Encumbered
.... why did ND seem to give no one high quality screens? There are a couple wallpaper worthy shots there and I would even be fine with 720p (works perfect for my netbook), but these are all compressed to hell, even on Gamersyde.

Loudninja

At one point, the guards spot Drake and Sully and start screaming various things at each other. One guard runs in with a torch and sets a curtain on fire. Immediately, the fire starts spreading up the wall. It is important to mention that the fire is happening in-game (it’s not a cutscene) and it looks absolutely incredible.

At one point Drake is running along and the entire floor collapses under him. While sliding down the floor, he has to proceed to shoot guards while also making sure to jump at just the right moment to avoid an instant fiery death.

At another point Drake is hanging on the side of a wall while fire starts to surround him. He must jump from hanging point to hanging point as the camera swoops underneath him. Suddenly, the ceiling starts collapsing and Drake is forced to also dodge the falling debris. The entire demo is filled with many brilliant heart-stopping moments like this.
http://www.destructoid.com/preview-uncharted-3-drake-s-deception-189502.phtml
wow

little surprised at the negativity. The animation, already exemplary in U2, looks improved. I'm sure the fire is scripted in its propagation but it still looks very impressive.

I didn't like the way the guy who played the fire sequence tried to make it appear more "cinematic" but even with that it looked great.

I think people expecting a huge graphical leap from UC2 are in for a letdown, though. UC2 is nearly pushing the PS3 to the max already I would think. I expect a few nice touches but ultimately it won't be the same jump that UC2 was.

Animator

Game looks like it can be released next week. To think they have a year ahead to improve and finetune makes me happy with excitement.

Kagari

Crystal Bearer
SolidSnakex said:
nZFih.jpg

I need it inside me.

Replicant

I noticed ND's tendency's to re-use assets from previous games. Some of the houses/locations look almost similar to the houses/locations in either UC1 or UC2. Maybe it will take a long time to model some new ones but I wish some of the locations are not dead ringers to the locations in the previous games. That chateau Drake fights in just look similar to the abandoned building I saw back in UC2.

jett

D-Member
Replicant said:
I noticed ND's tendency's to re-use assets from previous games. Some of the houses/locations look almost similar to the houses/locations in either UC1 or UC2. Maybe it will take a long time to model some new ones but I wish some of the locations are not dead ringers to the locations in the previous games. That chateau Drake fights in just look similar to the abandoned building I saw back in UC2.

I'm trying to look for similar assets but all of the textures look different from those in UC2, so I don't know what you are on about.

Replicant

jett said:
I'm trying to look for similar assets but all of the textures look different from those in UC2, so I don't know what you are on about.

The layout of the house, the model of the stairs, the way the houses have been destroyed on the rooftop, etc. Of course they changed the textures and move things around here and there, that's to be expected. But if you've traveled all around the world, you'd realized that houses in different parts of the world have some differences from one another. The style of houses in Nepal is different from houses in Indonesia, for example, and so far I am not seeing that big of a difference. I understand that it must take ages to model new houses based on the locality of each country but at the moment they all just look a bit same-ish.

Picture 3 and 4, on the OP, for example. Don't they remind you of some locations back in UC2? That's not the kind of impression that I want to get from a new game that is all about visiting different countries in different parts of the world.

neojubei

Will drop pants for Sony.
Replicant said:
The layout of the house, the model of the stairs, the way the houses have been destroyed on the rooftop, etc. Of course they changed the textures and move things around here and there, that's to be expected. But if you've traveled all around the world, you'd realized that houses in different parts of the world have some differences from one another. The style of houses in Nepal is different from houses in Indonesia, for example, and so far I am not seeing that big of a difference. I understand that it must take ages to model new houses based on the locality of each country but at the moment they all just look a bit same-ish.

Picture 3 and 4, on the OP, for example. Don't they remind you of some locations back in UC2? That's not the kind of impression that I want to get from a new game that is all about visiting different countries in different parts of the world.

I don't see that in the pics posted here. maybe some side by side comparison?

Chamber

love on your sleeve
daxter01 said:
who wants to bet U3 graphics is going to blow U2 graphics away?
Nothing on this round of consoles will blow away U2 on a graphical level. I remember Jak 3 looking like a more polished version of Jak 2 and that's what I'm expecting from U3. Only odd thing is that people seem disappointed by that.

Replicant

neojubei said:
I don't see that in the pics posted here. maybe some side by side comparison?

Knock yourself out. What are the likelihood that there are similar kind of explosion hole on two different parts of the world. If I didn't know better, I'd think that those are the same continuous area from one game. This is not even the best example I can get you but I can't do screencap of that mansion back in UC2 (the one that is near the lake).

344toyg.jpg
34gtumq.jpg

Mr_Brit

Banned
Majine said:
You guys think this is the last Uncharted (by ND) ?
Hopefully on the PS3, I doubt they can extract any more from the machine and a new console should allow them to make a fourth game that is a lot more ambitious than if they'd have stuck on the PS3.

Lord Error

Insane For Sony
Foliorum Viridum said:
I think people expecting a huge graphical leap from UC2 are in for a letdown, though. UC2 is nearly pushing the PS3 to the max already I would think. I expect a few nice touches but ultimately it won't be the same jump that UC2 was.
Cutscenes and special effects look and behavior (water, fire) already look like a huge step forward.

Replicant said:
Knock yourself out. What are the likelihood that there are similar kind of explosion hole on two different parts of the world. If I didn't know better, I'd think that those are the same continuous area from one game. This is not even the best example I can get you but I can't do screencap of that mansion back in UC2 (the one that is near the lake).

[]http://i55.tinypic.com/344toyg.jpg[/IMG] []http://i53.tinypic.com/34gtumq.jpg[/IMG]

They're nothing alike...

Were you expecting something like this instead?
candyland-7.jpg

Kittonwy

Banned
Replicant said:

It's a fucking house, what do you expect the house to look like? An igloo? And they DO look different, the village in U2 had individual houses, U1 didn't really have individual houses, it had what was basically a castle, huge fucking difference.
Indifferent2.gif

Kittonwy

Banned
Replicant said:

344toyg.jpg
34gtumq.jpg

One is a round hole the other is a square hole, wtf you can't tell the difference between square and circle?
Indifferent2.gif

arne said:
what are you talking about? bethesda didn't spend longer than 3 months max without anything coming out over a 1.5 year campaign for Fallout 3. FNV had a story or something every month in the 10 months immediately prior to release.

you just have to be strategic with the content of the reveals and stories, but that doesn't mean you can go away for an extended period of time.

You guys have the advantage of talking about all that sick MP you are going to throw in it too. Like couch co-op, online co-op, and competitive. This should take some of the pressure off of showing SP and spoiling the story.

I think it was a great time to reveal the game, right in time for people to replay UC2 like me :)

alr1ght

bish gets all the credit :)
Screens with no nasty compression

UNCHARTED 3: Drake’s Deception
FACT SHEET

Publisher: Sony Computer Entertainment America, LLC
Developer: Naughty Dog
Platform: PlayStation®3 (PS3™) system
Genre: Action-Adventure Shooter
Release: November 1, 2011
Rating: “RP”

OVERVIEW:
UNCHARTED 3: Drake’s Deception is the latest installment in the multimillion selling UNCHARTED franchise. Developed exclusively for the PlayStation®3 by critically-acclaimed developer Naughty Dog, UNCHARTED 3: Drake’s Deception will take players to spectacular locations around the world, as fortune hunter Nathan Drake embarks on a high-stakes expedition into the mystic heart of the Arabian Desert that will pit him against his deepest fears.

STORYLINE:
In the midst of an elaborate con to settle a twenty-year old score, fortune hunter Nathan Drake stumbles into a centuries-old conspiracy that puts him back on the trail of his infamous ancestor, renowned explorer and privateer Sir Francis Drake.

But his search for a lost 16th-century treasure leads him to an even greater discovery – an ancient secret that ensnares him in a web of deceit, pitting him against a shadowy clandestine organization and the occult treachery of its cunning and ruthless leader.

Aided by his partner and mentor Victor Sullivan, Drake embarks on a daring trek across Europe and into the Middle East, tracing the footsteps of the famed Lawrence of Arabia as they follow a centuries-old trail of clues leading to a fabled lost city buried for millennia in the heart of Arabia’s Rub’ al-Khali desert – a legend Lawrence christened “the Atlantis of the Sands.”

But the vast and pitiless wasteland of the Empty Quarter conceals a terrible mystery, and before the end of their journey, the race to unearth the wealth of the lost city descends into a desperate bid for survival, an ordeal that will push Drake to the limits of his endurance and force him to confront his deepest fears.

KEY FEATURES:
• Diving back into the story of Nathan Drake, players will learn more about the events that brought him and his longtime friend and mentor Victor Sullivan together, as they undertake a perilous quest that tests the bonds of their partnership. Nolan North and Richard McGonagle reprise their performance capture roles of Nathan Drake and Victor Sullivan.
• Explore memorable new locations from around the world—from a derelict chateau deep in the forests in France to the merciless Rub’ al-Khali desert in the heart of the Arabian Peninsula.
• Bigger set pieces and more explosive adventure, driven by Naughty Dog’s signature storytelling and cinematic presentation.
• Competitive and co-op multiplayer return with brand new experiences and massively expanded feature sets. The UNCHARTED universe provides online players with a unique Action Adventure multiplayer experience, bringing the cinematic elements of the single-player campaign into multiplayer.
• Nathan Drake can now take on opponents in more ways than before: hand-to-hand combat with multiple opponents, contextual melee attacks, and new stealth options. UNCHARTED 3 also features expanded and diverse traversal moves with deep gunplay, and constant problem solving scenarios that encourage player exploration throughout the environments.
• Naughty Dog introduces new physics, visuals, and environmental effects. The harsh desert environment of Arabia’s “Empty Quarter” is faithfully created with distant mirages, heat distortion effects and sand that drifts, displaces and flows realistically. The developer has also revisited nearly every visual effect in their repertoire, such as fire, smoke, and water.
• UNCHARTED 3: Drake’s Deception will be playable in Stereoscopic 3D.

thuway

highluxury said:
I doubt it will be their last Uncharted on the PS3... I'd bet they'll do one more (nonkarted).

I certainly hope not. I hope they move into next-gen development for PS4. I've wanted to make a thread about this, but I would love to see:

On launch for PS4- Uncharted 1, 2, 3, remastered in 1080p, 8xAA, SSAO- every feature under the sun. What I wouldn't do to play Uncharted 1 with fixed mechanics.

Than two years later, Uncharted 4. :).

Redbeard

Banned
arne said:
while that's ideal, that type of thing doesn't effectively work in this day and age unless you're a gorilla in the room mega-seller, which are far and few in between. the key is sustaining the campaign and building awareness -- and you can't do that without something coming out on a regular basis.

Well, I think a good compromise here is still to not show too much of the big action set pieces. Perhaps give us a brief glimpse in an epic E3 trailer, but don't blow too much of your load. I hate seeing games reveal almost every big set piece before release. Uncharted 2 was almost that way.

You could easily go into detail in the coming months about your multiplayer plans, for instance, without really spoiling the single player component. I don't think people mind hearing about MP details.

Uncharted is on the threshold of gorilla status...I mean UC2 sold what, nearly 5 million? It did great numbers. Sales will be more affected by marketing to people that don't know about the game rather than releasing media and info to people who already want it on the internet...

Pachimari

Nathan and Sully are searching for clues to find the City of Brass and run into a group of goons working for a mysterious villain -- a villain Naughty Dog says “manipulates through fear” and is “unlike anyone Drake has ever encountered before.” Intriguing!
Hopefully this enemy is more intriguing than Lazarevic.

For one, in Uncharted 3, Drake can now perform context-sensitive stealth kills with the press of a button. At the very start of the demo, this was shown off when Drake snuck up behind a guard one floor above him. As he got close, the triangle button popped on the screen. After pushing it, Drake jumped down one level directly on top of the guard, knocking him out instantly.

Unsurprisingly, the fire is triggered by points in the level, but this is in no way a negative. And this is what makes Uncharted stand out as a series in my mind.

Naughty Dog calls them “environmental touch points” and “additional contextual animation” So fancy!

Basically what this means is Drake’s in-game character reacts to things around him in very realistic ways. When he runs through a small hallway, he may reach his hand out to touch the wall. When he turns a corner, he may lean a little or grab a nearby object for balance.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom