• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Undertale |OT| Indie RPG with determination and spider bake sales

Fuu

Formerly Alaluef (not Aladuf)
A lot of the smaller things about the game are sticking in my mind the following days since I beat it.

One that keeps coming back to me is how
when you laugh at Snowdrake's joke he says "See!? Laughs! Dad was wrong!". I loved that the first time I saw it because with that random short burst you're able to surmise that he wanted to be a comedian and his father was opposed to it. That's great writing and it's so unexpected coming from a random enemy. The fact you actually meet the dad much later in the game is also a nice touch. Not to mention his mother is one of the Amalgamates and that the fight against her is also about making her react to puns. You either notice those things or you don't and I love this kind of stuff.

In Genocide Route,
Sans
boss battle is amazing!!! it's hard, but very funny!
I'm very disappointed that
Mettaton
wasn't a real boss in this route. :(

If I do decide to go for a genocide run should I feel like I have the time for it is there anything I should look out for or is it as simple as it sounds? I don't have the energy to do a pacifist run because fuck LOVE 1-ing all the fights. Sounds dreadful.

If I do decide to go for a genocide run should I feel like I have the time for it is there anything I should look out for or is it as simple as it sounds? I don't have the energy to do a pacifist run because fuck LOVE 1-ing all the fights. Sounds dreadful.
It's a bit more complicated than it sounds, but not much. Basically
just kill literally everything, not just everything that you come accross. Go for random battles in each area until random battles stop happening

Corpekata

Banned

You should look out for the ridiculously tough boss battles that'll make you ragequit the run.

It's also extremely grindy. Love-1ing all those fights will be easier / less tedious.

Pacifist run is, actually, really easy, it just takes more time. Genocide route
has the most difficult fight in the entire game.
And there are
ways to make the pacifist run even easier.

Ultimadrago

You know, I knew Catty and Bratty reminded me of a certain artstyle. Homestuck. That was it. Though I'm not entirely sure why...

You know, I knew Catty and Bratty reminded me of a certain artstyle. Homestuck. That was it. Though I'm not entirely sure why...

Catty brings to mind Homestuck's Nepeta.

latest

PBalfredo

So just so I'm sure on this, the red heart is
Chara's soul, not Frisk's? Since it's what Asriel recognizes in the Pacifist ending as Chara, right? So Chara inhabits Frisk since the beginning of the game, but the player has control over Chara in battles, except in the genocide finale where Chara becomes corrupted by the player's actions to the point that they take over? And the only time we see Frisk act on their own volition is in the pacifist ending? Or maybe the whole time outside of battle??? I'm trying to unravel who is recognized in-game as having agency at any given time, since this is a game where the player character can be up to three separate entities at any given time.

PSqueak

Banned
So just so I'm sure on this, the red heart is
Chara's soul, not Frisk's? Since it's what Asriel recognizes in the Pacifist ending as Chara, right? So Chara inhabits Frisk since the beginning of the game, but the player has control over Chara in battles, except in the genocide finale where Chara becomes corrupted by the player's actions to the point that they take over? And the only time we see Frisk act on their own volition is in the pacifist ending? Or maybe the whole time outside of battle??? I'm trying to unravel who is recognized in-game as having agency at any given time, since this is a game where the player character can be up to three separate entities at any given time.

As i understood it:

Red is frisk's soul, but Chara's was also Red, Pacifist Frisk represents them fending off Chara's influence (and kinda yours), Genocide Frisk is them giving in to your and Chara's influence, Asriel confusing Frisk for Chara in pacifist was because Asriel WANTED to believe Frisk was Chara, in the end he admits he always knew it wasn't Chara.

Chara complicates things because Chara is both a character and a metaphor for a gamer's drive to be completionists in games and "destroying everything" (ie, beating the game and moving on), Chara only comes as separate from their metaphorical role in the backstory and when you refuse to destroy the world and then Chara the character acts separate from the player.

MNC

Sooooooo how do I get the true ending from here?

I completed the game once, got the Neutral Ending I think (Flowey said at the end to befriend Undyne because she is pissed and will punch me or whatever (I killed a single frog at the beginning of the game). This was my first run. What happens now?

DNAbro

I completed the game once, got the Neutral Ending I think (Flowey said at the end to befriend Undyne because she is pissed and will punch me or whatever (I killed a single frog at the beginning of the game). This was my first run. What happens now?

if you got any EXP you have to restart the game and go through everything without killing anything. Play through the game again, do the date with Papyrus, hang out with Undyne after her fight, and beating mettaton I believe you should be able to have a date with Alphys so it makes it is obvious from there. I believe thats the order.

If you killed something you gotta do the whole thing over but without killing anything.

MNC

if you got any EXP you have to restart the game and go through everything without killing anything. Play through the game again, do the date with Papyrus, hang out with Undyne after her fight, and beating mettaton I believe you should be able to have a date with Alphys so it makes it is obvious from there. I believe thats the order.

If you killed something you gotta do the whole thing over but without killing anything.

Okay so basically starting a new game, right? Any specific way to do that? I don't want to accidentally remove my ACTUAL overarching progress. Also, the wiki said the Neutral route was needed first. Did I fuck it up or did I do it as planned?

DNAbro

Okay so basically starting a new game, right? Any specific way to do that? I don't want to accidentally remove my ACTUAL overarching progress. Also, the wiki said the Neutral route was needed first. Did I fuck it up or did I do it as planned?

you just hit restart in the main menu. You could have just done pacifist up till the neutral ending and it would have allowed you to skip re-playing the game.

Ultimadrago

Hey guys, I'm about to
True Reset
for a more complete experience (and more happy monsters!). I just need to know one thing...

To get the monsters'
names yellow in the Credits, do you need to do the "Special Actions"
once or many times? Trying to catch them all.

DNAbro

Hey guys, I'm about to
True Reset
for a more complete experience (and more happy monsters!). I just need to know one thing...

To get the monsters'
names yellow in the Credits, do you need to do the "Special Actions"
once or many times? Trying to catch them all.

once I believe. When I last played I tried to do a all yellow name run but I messed up and forgot to do Whimsum and I didn't realize the alternative way of dealing with Endogeny made it not yellow.

PaulloDEC

I'm not sure I can finish this.
Mettatron EX
is kicking my ass, and the furthest I've got is about
halfway to the 10,000 mark

Wish I wasn't so bad at this bullet hell stuff. I managed to brute-force my way through some earlier fights by filling my inventory with food, but the number here constantly drains doesn't it? I'm not sure I can hit the mark before running out of food.

DNAbro

Mettatron EX

Wish I wasn't so bad at this bullet hell stuff. I managed to brute-force my way through some earlier fights by filling my inventory with food, but the number here constantly drains doesn't it? I'm not sure I can hit the mark before running out of food.

here is some advice

there are lots of ways to get the ratings to go up. Eating "on brand" food causes a ratings spike. Changing clothes mid-fight can get a ratings spike. Usually boasting and dodging is the best way to get it up. If you still have the stick for some reason you can get a rating spike from throwing it as well. Once you mettaton loses his arms and legs it your points will go up much faster, especially during the shooting segments. This fight is as much dodging as it is figuring out how to deal with his variety of attacks and how shooting effects it. Also the faster you chose your menu options, the less you worry about it draining.

Elija2

Okay, I have no idea what to do next.
So I got to the end without killing anyone, but I still wasn't able to save Asgore. Flowey told me that I need to befriend Papyrus, Undyne, and Alphys, but I have no idea how to do that. I went on the date with Papyrus so I'm assuming I'm friends with him, but I have no clue what I'm supposed to do for the other two. Hints please?

DNAbro

Okay, I have no idea what to do next.
So I got to the end without killing anyone, but I still wasn't able to save Asgore. Flowey told me that I need to befriend Papyrus, Undyne, and Alphys, but I have no idea how to do that. I went on the date with Papyrus so I'm assuming I'm friends with him, but I have no clue what I'm supposed to do for the other two. Hints please?

go to Undyne's house in waterfall, near napstablook's place. Everything should kind of just build off of there afterwards.

Mettatron EX

The easiest trick would be buying lots of burgers from the MTT Resort food vendor, it gives you full health and 300-500 ratings per use. Keep using Pose, when the essay part comes up type "leg" in the gibberish.

hot, leg, hair, arms, or perhaps even toby fox

wow I only know about the leg thing.

MNC

The easiest trick would be buying lots of burgers from the MTT Resort food vendor, it gives you full health and 300-500 ratings per use. Keep using Pose, when the essay part comes up type "leg" in the gibberish.

hot, leg, hair, arms, or perhaps even toby fox

NEO0MJ

Near the end of the game. Kinda mindblown by
the explanation for EXP and LV in this game. Flower was being honest the whole time, lol.

NEO0MJ

In this world

It's body or be bodied

Seeing your avatar reminded me of the murderface Sans gives you at the resort. I have a feeling he would have messed me up had I gone killer route. Something to look forward to on my next playthrough.

If he ever works on a sequel, I think he should hire a level designer to help him create a more cohesive overworld map (or "underworld" in this case).

The map layout is overall pretty bad (with a few exceptions).

I'm not talking about the art asset used for tiles though.
It's just the way corridors, pathways, pitfalls and enclosed areas are layed out with a weird progression, compared to what we've seen on old console jrpgs.

NEO0MJ

So, how do we trigger monster encounters?
I want to do a genocide run and foolishly thought that I just had to kill instead of spare but it seems there's more to it than that. Any common pitfalls?

Saikyo

So, how do we trigger monster encounters?
I want to do a genocide run and foolishly thought that I just had to kill instead of spare but it seems there's more to it than that. Any common pitfalls?

start grinding enemies in the ruins near the save point that has acess to that area with the candies, then keep killing without leaving until something happens...

zakujanai

Had an interesting experience playing this. Having made it through the basement door at the start I walked a little way before regretting having
murdered Tori
so quit and reloaded to try again. Managed to get through
without killing her
but when I spoke to
Flowey
again I got just about the creepiest response ever
he told me he knew I'd reloaded because I felt bad about murdering her.
That was when I knew the game would be awesome.

Also had a fun but less creepy moment just after that meeting
Sans. I turned around before he told me to because I'd done it before.

Fuu

I said I didn't want to do a genocide run and I still think that not doing it is also a totally valid part of the experience... but I'm kinda feeling like going for it now lol. If only as an excuse to get back into the game without simply going with neutral or pacifist again.

Salbug

I said I didn't want to do a genocide run and I still think that not doing it is also a totally valid part of the experience... but I'm kinda feeling like going for it now lol. If only as an excuse to get back into the game without simply going with neutral or pacifist again.

I still can't bring myself to do it, even after my second playthrough earlier last week.

Fuu

I'm listening to the Determination album (31 tracks version), I heard it was good but it's even better than I expected.

I still can't bring myself to do it, even after my second playthrough earlier last week.
I'm curious to try, but yeah, I'm not sure how far I'd go. I almost definitely wouldn't go all the way, especially knowing that there are people who spent 5 or more hours
on the Sans battle.

Aureon

Please do not let me serve on a jury. I am actually a crazy person.

I'm doing it and i'm stuck at
Sans
for months, but i'm OK with that because he should win anyway.

Parshias7

I might just never do Genocide.

Especially when you load the game back up after the Pacifist ending, Flowey tells you the only thing that can prevent Frisk and his friends from living happily ever after is you resetting your save file. So... I won't. Have fun, guys.

NEO0MJ

start grinding enemies in the ruins near the save point that has acess to that area with the candies, then keep killing without leaving until something happens...

So I just walk around? No way to trigger encounters faster?

It gets easier with every kill. My heart sunk when I killed Papyrus but later I didn't feel anything!

DNAbro

So I just walk around? No way to trigger encounters faster?

It gets easier with every kill. My heart sunk when I killed Papyrus but later I didn't feel anything!

you can start moving in one direction and then move to another window while holding down the direction you are moving in and you will kind of walk in place but it does kind of glitch out the battle system where you might still register you going in one direction. It doesn't make it faster but you don't have to hold down the button and can do other things while waiting for it activate.

Top Bottom