• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Undertale |OT| Indie RPG with determination and spider bake sales

Finally beat Undertale after getting it as a gift some time ago.

Fuck those monsters and mercy. They came at crazy especially that Asgore fuck pretending to be chill then destroying the Mercy option and then going super sayian, even if I wasn't ever using it. Felt so good to kill Flowy's ass after he fucked with me at the end.

Asgore's theme was boss as fuck though.

I do not regret what I did to any of them. Enjoyable game over all, I can understand why people fell in love with it. I give it a solid B. The writing was very good.

Fuck those monsters and mercy. They came at crazy especially that Asgore fuck pretending to be chill then destroying the Mercy option and then going super sayian, even if I wasn't ever using it. Felt so good to kill Flowy's ass after he fucked with me at the end.

I do not regret what I did to any of them. Enjoyable game over all, I can understand why people fell in love with it. I give it a solid B. The writing was very good.

You only see half of the game if you only play it once.

NEO0MJ

Such is genocide

It's soo much work, really stressing my backbone.

you can start moving in one direction and then move to another window while holding down the direction you are moving in and you will kind of walk in place but it does kind of glitch out the battle system where you might still register you going in one direction. It doesn't make it faster but you don't have to hold down the button and can do other things while waiting for it activate.

I'll try that. Thanks.

The royal family theme is really good. Also, Asgore's sprite is so cool. I like the contrast between regular mode Asgore and battle mode Asgore.

DNAbro

Well without doing a pacifist run I feel like you only got part of the reason people love this game. There is a lot you missed.

NEO0MJ

So I decided to google some art to find a new wallpaper, and was reminded of what the internet does when it finds new female characters.

NEO0MJ

Could have been worse

You could have been searching for Sans art

What could they possible o with him? He's a skeleton!
I'm mostly avoiding googling him because I'm afraid of finding out spoilers regarding him. Only finished a pacifist and violent neutral run and I know there's more to him that seems to only be discovered while in genocide.

They could give him a bone.
latest

I'm mostly avoiding googling him because I'm afraid of finding out spoilers regarding him. Only finished a pacifist and violent neutral run and I know there's more to him that seems to only be discovered while in genocide.
I'm not one to judge other people's fetishes, but I never thought I'd use the words "gay incestuous skeleton sex" in a sentence

NEO0MJ

Man, genocide is a lot more heartbreaking than I thought possible.
Instantly killing Toriel and Papyrus was too much, especially with how you literally tear Toriel apart and kill Papyrus despite his good intention and full faith in you. And now the protagonist is smiling before every encounter...

Edit: Fuck
Undyne the Undying is so strong 0.0
She was one of the more difficult fights for me so facing her on steroids is too much.

I'm not one to judge other people's fetishes, but I never thought I'd use the words "gay incestuous skeleton sex" in a sentence

It's always the siblings. Always.

Be afraid, be very afraid...

Keep that search safe flag on using google.

Nah. Even if it would probably lead to some creepy stuff getting in I'd hate to miss on potentially good art because of it.

Breads

Banned
Boss battle
Sans
in Genocide Route is harder than 90% of Bloodborne boss battles for me! lol

Because I finally had the time to thoroughly enjoy the DLC during the holidays I decided to make a new build. A high Arcane (70 instead of 50) build to test out the new weapons/ tools which included going through the chalice dungeons again to unlock the farming of Nourishing gems for the Holy Moonlight Sword and etc.

Took me less time to get to BL 125, finish the game without actually NG+ing it, and playing through the DLC than it did for me to beat
Sans

Granted I realized a lot of my problems came from the wonky dead zone/ sensitivity issues with my controller and the keyboard made the encounter more consistent but still!

mbpm1

Because I finally had the time to thoroughly enjoy the DLC during the holidays I decided to make a new build. A high Arcane (70 instead of 50) build to test out the new weapons/ tools which included going through the chalice dungeons again to unlock the farming of Nourishing gems for the Holy Moonlight Sword and etc.

Took me less time to get to BL 125, finish the game without actually NG+ing it, and playing through the DLC than it did for me to beat
Sans

Granted I realized a lot of my problems came from the wonky dead zone/ sensitivity issues with my controller and the keyboard made the encounter more consistent but still!

Put
Sans
in Bloodborne

poutmeter

I finished the game a few days ago and I can't stop thinking about
poor Asriel :( Everyone gets a happy ending except that poor bastard, and his only fault was trusting his sibling and following a plan he didn't really agree to and later refused to go through. He's just a little kid whose loyalty and trust cost him his life and soul, and now will forever live on as a villainous flower. I was glad he got to redeem himself at the end of the Pacifist run, but then his fate was left unchanged; his soulless essence connected to Chara through a Golden Flower.

I was ready for a whole lot of things, but not this.

Kolx

I finished the normal ending and decided that it's time to get the pacifist ending. I reloaded my save and I'm at the same point as I was
before fighting Asgore
. What should I do now? should I reset and start from scratch? I heard you need to finish the game twice to get the pacifist ending so does getting the normal ending count as one or not?

Fuu

Formerly Alaluef (not Aladuf)
I finished the normal ending and decided that it's time to get the pacifist ending. I reloaded my save and I'm at the same point as I was
before fighting Asgore
. What should I do now? should I reset and start from scratch? I heard you need to finish the game twice to get the pacifist ending so does getting the normal ending count as one or not?
Did you manage to spare everyone in your playthrough? If that's the case you won't need to reset and can go directly after the missing requirements for the pacifist ending after watching the neutral/normal ending.

If you killed anyone and gained any EXP/LV, then yeah, you'll need to reset the game and start from scratch.

NEO0MJ

I finished the game a few days ago and I can't stop thinking about
poor Asriel :( Everyone gets a happy ending except that poor bastard, and his only fault was trusting his sibling and following a plan he didn't really agree to and later refused to go through. He's just a little kid whose loyalty and trust cost him his life and soul, and now will forever live on as a villainous flower. I was glad he got to redeem himself at the end of the Pacifist run, but then his fate was left unchanged; his soulless essence connected to Chara through a Golden Flower.

I was ready for a whole lot of things, but not this.

But
Doesn't he keep his conscience, even though he lost his soul at the end of the game? Sure he can't bring himself to join the other monsters but still, I'm sure he prefers it to his remorseless self. Of course, he goes back to being Flowey if you reset but that's in your hands.

poutmeter

But
Doesn't he keep his conscience, even though he lost his soul at the end of the game? Sure he can't bring himself to join the other monsters but still, I'm sure he prefers it to his remorseless self. Of course, he goes back to being Flowey if you reset but that's in your hands.

As far as I know, he doesn't retain his Asriel form for long and will eventually revert back to being Flowey after releasing the monsters. The captured monsters' souls were the reason he was 'Asriel' again; he was finally able to feel love, hope, and compassion again because that's what their souls are made out of. He does comment on it in that final conversation on the flower bed, where he tells Frisk to remember him as the friend they knew for a little while if they ever see Flowey again.

I felt bad for Asriel during the boss battle, but it was that conversation over the bed of flowers that made it all even worse. He sounded so defeated and resigned to his fate :( I guess not everybody can have a happy ending.

We are out of control.

Hey now... I'm just sharing my Skelfie.

NEO0MJ

As far as I know, he doesn't retain his Asriel form for long and will eventually revert back to being Flowey after releasing the monsters. The captured monsters' souls were the reason he was 'Asriel' again; he was finally able to feel love, hope, and compassion again because that's what their souls are made out of. He does comment on it in that final conversation on the flower bed, where he tells Frisk to remember him as the friend they knew for a little while if they ever see Flowey again.

I felt bad for Asriel during the boss battle, but it was that conversation over the bed of flowers that made it all even worse. He sounded so defeated and resigned to his fate :( I guess not everybody can have a happy ending.

While he did revert back to his Flowey form, it seems that he still has the mind of Asriel and so isn't a loon anymore based on how he talked with you before you reset the game. He even says that if you do that he'll revert back to truly being Flowey.

poutmeter

While he did revert back to his Flowey form, it seems that he still has the mind of Asriel and so isn't a loon anymore based on how he talked with you before you reset the game. He even says that if you do that he'll revert back to truly being Flowey.

I just watched the bit
before the True Reset is an option, and you're right. He does mention that he's not keen on use the reset power anymore and you'd have to erase his memories. Then again, he wasn't violent and manipulative when he first came back to life, but years of boredom and lack of a soul made him Flowey -and he had lots of company back then. I just think that no matter how hard he tries to hold on to being Asriel, an essence without a soul won't be enough. That's why he decides to stay underground and never show himself to his parents/other monsters; he knows he's going to be Flowey again someday.

I think his ending is just sad either way.

NEO0MJ

Then again, he wasn't violent and manipulative when he first came back to life, but years of boredom and lack of a soul made him Flowey -and he had lots of company back then.

I think his ending is just sad either way.

Must have missed that part, unless it's mentioned only in the genocide route.

And no doubt about his sad fate. And he can't really use a spare soul to save himself.

Thinking about finally giving this a go. Before I do, one question...

I know next to nothing about the game. I've read plenty of impressions, but wanted to make sure I would be going in mostly blind for an initial play-through.

That said, how much time should I expect to sink into this on a first play-through? My gaming time often comes at a premium and I want to make sure I have enough to get through this in a timely manner.

Apologies for what I'm sure is a redundant question.

mbpm1

Thinking about finally giving this a go. Before I do, one question...

I know next to nothing about the game. I've read plenty of impressions, but wanted to make sure I would be going in mostly blind for an initial play-through.

That said, how much time should I expect to sink into this on a first play-through? My gaming time often comes at a premium and I want to make sure I have enough time to get through this in a timely manner.

Apologies for what I'm sure is a redundant question.

Usually about 5 hours...but if you're bad at bullet hell games it may take longer

DeathoftheEndless

Crashing this plane... with no survivors!
I just finished the game. I enjoyed it a lot. The writing is very funny and the bullet-hell combat system is fun. The only enemy I killed was Toriel, so I still got the "neutral" ending. I had to kill the final couple of bosses. That ending fight was something else lol.

I just finished the game. I enjoyed it a lot. The writing is very funny and the bullet-hell combat system is fun. The only enemy I killed was Toriel, so I still got the "neutral" ending. I had to kill the final couple of bosses. That ending fight was something else lol.

You would get the neutral ending whether or not you had killed Toriel. If you hadn't, you'd be able to reload your last save and finish a few extra things (that only unlock after your first playthrough) in order to get the pacifist ending.

PSqueak

Banned
Must have missed that part, unless it's mentioned only in the genocide route.

And no doubt about his sad fate. And he can't really use a spare soul to save himself.

Actually i think he says it if you keep doing neutral runs, he has tons of extra dialogue if you keep doing neutral runs, like revealing that he's friends with Papyrus, but hates Sans because "he caused him to reset many times"

NEO0MJ

Actually i think he says it if you keep doing neutral runs, he has tons of extra dialogue if you keep doing neutral runs, like revealing that he's friends with Papyrus, but hates Sans because "he caused him to reset many times"

Turns out he details what happened to him when he first woke up if you go genocide near the end. Though it's funny that he and Papyrus are friends, though I guess if anyone can win him over it's Papy. That explains his constant meet ups with him.

Bakkus

I've done neutral and pacifist runs now and i'm about to start genocide. I've read you have to kill every encounter in every area to fulfill the requirements for that run. However that stroke me as odd, firstly because I didn't know the was a limit to how many monsters you could encounter in every area and that's because I've encountered new monsters all the time in the previous playthroughs when I've been backtracking on my own accord not because the game tells me to. So how do you know when you have killed them all? And what do you have to do if you don't encounter enough?

I've done neutral and pacifist runs now and i'm about to start genocide. I've read you have to kill every encounter in every area to fulfill the requirements for that run. However that stroke me as odd, firstly because I didn't know the was a limit to how many monsters you could encounter in every area and that's because I've encountered new monsters all the time in the previous playthroughs when I've been backtracking on my own accord not because the game tells me to. So how do you know when you have killed them all? And what do you have to do if you don't encounter enough?
Once you're done with an area the music will change to a distorted version and random encounters will still try to happen but you'll get a "but nobody came" message

Top Bottom